BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:22:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It may be discussed out of context at times, but it is absolutely a thing.
It doesn't affect aircraft (or anything else that is guided) because aircraft can make course corrections mid-flight, while a bullet cannot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Coriolis effect is bullshit.   If it can affect bullet path then it should also affect airplanes and helicopters even more profoundly...which it does not.
It may be discussed out of context at times, but it is absolutely a thing.
It doesn't affect aircraft (or anything else that is guided) because aircraft can make course corrections mid-flight, while a bullet cannot.
Correct. It is a thing with things like ship guns & arty.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:23:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The Coriolis effect is bullshit.   If it can affect bullet path then it should also affect airplanes and helicopters even more profoundly...which it does not.
View Quote
It does have effect.  Ever seen how long it takes to fly to Japan from the US then from Japan to the US one will take longer than the other for the same distance(assuming flying from say LA to Tokyo following the same path both ways.  Why also do you think they fly over the poles instead of a straight line for long flights across the globe.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:24:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yes.  It's been tested.

Don't remember what caliber, maybe 7 mag.  Guy set up so he could fire 1000 yards east and from the same spot 1000 yards west.  Point of impact was (I think) about 1- 1.5 feet difference in elevation.  I remember seeing his video of it.
View Quote
I saw that video on snipershide a while back.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:32:26 AM EDT
[#4]
physics and Arfcom...

a lost cause
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:33:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It does have effect.  Ever seen how long it takes to fly to Japan from the US then from Japan to the US one will take longer than the other for the same distance(assuming flying from say LA to Tokyo following the same path both ways.  Why also do you think they fly over the poles instead of a straight line for long flights across the globe.
View Quote
More to do with jet-stream patterns than to compensate directly for the C effect

High altitude bombers figured that out in the pacific in WW2
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:43:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Multiples here with only direction of fire changed and one in the southern hemisphere. 
@RDTCU

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:05:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Question for everyone saying it doesn't matter.

How many of you have shot at or past 1000 yards?  If so do you do it often enough in enough locations that you are shooting at different compass headings much less closer/further to the equator?

I'm thinking if one just shoots at one location and figures out their dope then they're dialed in for that location and Coriolis effect "doesn't matter".

If your home range was in New Hampshire shooting northeast in zero wind and then you go to a range in Southern California shooting southwest in the same mythical no wind conditions you'd probably scratch your head and wonder how your 1000 yard zero changed by a foot or two.  

You'd re-zero your scope for SoCal and when you got home you'd need to re-zero again and theorize that the scope must have a zero shift from the airline travel.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:27:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The coriolis effect is negligible over the time it takes a bullet to travel 2 miles.
View Quote
Wind and mirage are the biggest factors.  Worrying about magical bullshit won't make any difference on a rifle shot. 
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:29:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Question for everyone saying it doesn't matter.

How many of you have shot at or past 1000 yards?  If so do you do it often enough in enough locations that you are shooting at different compass headings much less closer/further to the equator?

I'm thinking if one just shoots at one location and figures out their dope then they're dialed in for that location and Coriolis effect "doesn't matter".

If your home range was in New Hampshire shooting northeast in zero wind and then you go to a range in Southern California shooting southwest in the same mythical no wind conditions you'd probably scratch your head and wonder how your 1000 yard zero changed by a foot or two.  

You'd re-zero your scope for SoCal and when you got home you'd need to re-zero again and theorize that the scope must have a zero shift from the airline travel.
View Quote

Wind and mirage.  Wall of text won't get you a hit at 1K or beyond.

Keep in mind you pose this question to people who don't even own a rifle, or who have a safe queen they won't fire because brass might mark up the deflector nubb. 
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:47:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I figured spin drift and C at  about 10- 25 feet in the other thread..

I figure the TAC-50 has a 1-15 or 1-20 twist to minimize spin drift, and people shooting them close say they shoot loose, which suggests a slow Rate of twist as a trade off for long range consistency.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:51:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Wind and mirage.  Wall of text won't get you a hit at 1K or beyond.
View Quote
No but a good firing solution taking all variables into account will.

Yep coriolis is only a small amount not worth considering by itself for 1k, not even enough to dial for, but this thread is specifically about coriolis over extreme long range so we are discussing it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:03:28 PM EDT
[#12]
To satisfy my curiosity, take wind to zero for all cases and see what it shows.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:09:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Density of the atmosphere is what would effect it the most.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:15:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I think the layman has heard "spin drift" and, having no idea what it actually is, decided it was the same as the Coriolis effect.

Sure, the Coriolis effect exists and is a factor on extremely long range shots, but it is massively blown out of proportion compared to much more important factors like spin drift, mirage, wind, etc.

It just sounds more impressive to the uninitiated to say "he had to account for the rotation of the earth!!" instead of "he actually had to read the mirage caused by heat to determine wind speed and, at that distance, seeing a human-sized target through mirage is like trying to read a speed limit sign at 100 yards through a rain soaked windshield."
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:21:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hitting someone at 3500 yards with a firearm is more luck than skill, IIRC, the last American sniper record holder has said as much.
View Quote
If you mag dump 5 mags and get one hit, does that count?  At 2 miles you aren't really concerned about react to sniper drills.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:30:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If you mag dump 5 mags and get one hit, does that count?  At 2 miles you aren't really concerned about react to sniper drills.
View Quote
If he is good and has a semi auto there is apt to be 2 or  3 more rounds  in the wind by the time the first one gets there.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:46:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
It changed nothing but aerodynamic jump, which is from direction and speed of air moving across the bullet and bbl twist direction and rate.

Here is a pic of one with no wind. The others are all the same as I already posted minus wind drift and AJ.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:51:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It changed nothing but aerodynamic jump, which is from direction and speed of air moving across the bullet and bbl twist direction and rate.

Here is a pic of one with no wind. The others are all the same as I already posted minus wind drift and AJ.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/83091/2017-06-22-11-236441.JPG
View Quote
Interesting, i know wind doesn't affect C effect, but you can't see their equations so i was curious. Interesting that horizontal C drift is independent of target direction...
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:03:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Is the 'Coriolis drop' in the calculator really Coriolis? or is it the Eotvos Effect?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:07:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Is the 'Coriolis drop' in the calculator really Coriolis? or is it the Eotvos Effect?
View Quote
probably both if you are shooting east west. It is still a thing shooting north south tho.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:08:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Interesting point...
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:14:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Interesting that horizontal C drift is independent of target direction...
View Quote
Can anyone explain why that is?  I'm having trouble conceptualizing it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes, that is why I asked the other guy if he was just nitpicking the use of coriolis

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:28:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:30:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Can anyone explain why that is?  I'm having trouble conceptualizing it.
View Quote
Google 'Foucault Pendulum'. 
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:32:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Why also do you think they fly over the poles instead of a straight line for long flights across the globe.
View Quote
They do that because it's a shorter distance.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:39:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:45:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Bryan..... everything I am using is from him so he's already here
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:57:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Are you being nitpicky about the name? Because it would be substantia(for hitting a small target)l over a two mile flight time.

N27° lat, 27inHg, 90°, 250otm@2900fps, 8.4sec flight time

Firing north = 35" drift right drop zero"
Firing south= 35" drift right drop zero"
Firing east = 35" drift right drop 115"
Firing west =35" drift right  115" high

S27° lat all the drift will be to the left.

In less dense air all the numbers will be reduced because flight time is shorter.
View Quote
In this post I listed the east and west backwards. Firing east will be high, west will be low.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:02:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
physics and Arfcom...

a lost cause
View Quote
How true!

When I was in engineering school, they taught Coriolils effects.

plus,

Rex explains it fairly well here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiRaP8qxqa4

But basically, under 1,000 yards you've got bigger factors to worry about.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:45:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Fun fact:  airplanes don't really "fly", they hover and the earth just spins under it.

Also, the SR-71 was so fast cause it could hover more still.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 3:20:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Keep in mind you pose this question to people who don't even own a rifle, or who have a safe queen they won't fire because brass might mark up the deflector nubb. 
View Quote
. Ain't that the truth.

I'm a total newb to trying 1000 but know the ballistic apps at 1K change the solution when you check "account for coriolis" on or off.

The first video posted demonstrates a minute plus of elevation difference at 1K and because of flight time it gets a lot worse further out.

Is it the only or biggest concern? Of course not but it has enough effect that it should be factored in for ELR shooting.

I'd imagine in real world examples it will help you get closer to a first round hit so you don't have to make as big of a correction after your first round miss.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:06:23 PM EDT
[#33]
omega x omega x R
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:11:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Stop talking...you're embarrassing yourself.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:20:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Uhhhhhh...  yeah, it does.  Aircraft can make corrections for it on the fly however.
View Quote
false.  the aircraft takes off from the runway with a landing solution and can make no adjustments in flight.  its science.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:21:14 PM EDT
[#36]
At the distances it takes to notice coriolis if your wind call is off a mph or two it will have twice the effect of coriolis. I shoot at 100 yards sometimes out to 300 off a bench in only the best weather for 3 shot groups so needless to say I'm kinda a expert.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:22:32 PM EDT
[#37]
So the Coriolis effect or the north south version(evector effect?),while minor at ranges under 1000 is a constant  variable, unchanging once calculated for a position/target combo, like bullet drop for a particular load/range/air density on a given day. sure it will change tomorrow with a new target and shooting position but if you can calculate it before hand, plug it into the scope and eliminate one negative variable who wouldn't? I can't see a reason NOT to have it unless you are super crunched for time(in which case I would recommend against taking 3450 yard shots...),

If i'm completely off base please correct me because I have only the briefest grasp on this.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:24:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
You do realize aircraft correct their courses regularly, right?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:28:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
How much does the planets rotation really effect things?

An Airplane doesn't ADD its speed with Earth's rotation. Like flying in the opposite direction, a commercial jet going 500 mph, doesn't cover more distance even though its not bolted to the Earth. It doesn't add 1,000 mph that the Earth is supposedly turning under it.

Plus, in your car, as you drive 70-80 mph, a Fly buzzing around doesn't splat into the back of your car's windshield. When it decides to fly after already accelerating while it was resting.
View Quote
imagine a 1mile diameter round disk flat on the earth spinning at 1rpm.  1 rotation per minute.  travelling at the same speed as a second hand on a watch.  its almost imperceptible from the center looking out.  now imagine a person standing just one step off the disk.

you at the center are aiming for the person.  if the targeted person looks down at the disk, the edge will be screaming by at 188 miles per hour.  3.14 miles per minute.  

you would essentially have to "lead" the target as if they were traveling almost 200mph.  The bullet goes on a straight line once it leaves your barrel.  almost the same concept, except in application the earth is spherical which adds other fun.

edit:  you are elevated over the center (not rotating) and the person is standing on the edge of the disk (moving).
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:35:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
So the Coriolis effect or the north south version(evector effect?),while minor at ranges under 1000 is a constant  variable, unchanging once calculated for a position/target combo, like bullet drop for a particular load/range/air density on a given day. sure it will change tomorrow with a new target and shooting position but if you can calculate it before hand, plug it into the scope and eliminate one negative variable who wouldn't? I can't see a reason NOT to have it unless you are super crunched for time(in which case I would recommend against taking 3450 yard shots...),

If i'm completely off base please correct me because I have only the briefest grasp on this.
View Quote
You are 100% correct, account for every variable that can be measured or calculated.

Gravity, Coriolis, spin drift, humidity, air temp, pressure, angle of fire, muzzle velocity, BC, distance, scope tracking error, height over bore, zero distance, zero offset, these can all be measured and used in calculating a firing solution in a solver. All that is left is a wind(a huge one), muzzle velocity extreme spread and shooter error. Obviously there is a limit to the accuracy of your data but do your best.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:28:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Are you this fucking stupid naturally, or did you catch it as a disease from a tick bite?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:35:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Don Coriolis?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:40:05 PM EDT
[#43]
... only mildly surprising how many ARFCOM posters are ignorant to natural sciences
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:15:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
round disk
View Quote
I understand it now!  I understand why the horizontal drift is always in the same direction.

If you picture the northern hemisphere as a flat plate, the north pole is the center of the plate and the axis it rotates about, while the edge of the plate is the equator.

Place the "shooter" at any point on the plate, and the "target" as any other spot on the plate.  Visualize the path the bullet would travel to hit the target.  Then spin the plate counter-clockwise and trace the path the bullet would travel (which is independent of the plate itself) and you'll see that the bullet always ends up right of the target.  This confirms the direction of fire is independent of the drift direction.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:37:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:08:17 AM EDT
[#46]
During WWI the Germans built a large gun called Big Bertha.  It was built to shell Paris which was 70 miles south of it.   When working out the ballistics of the shot they calculated that they would have to lead the city by 1 mile due to the speed of the earth's rotation at that latitude.  Too bad this guy wasn't still alive.  He lived and breathed ballistics and would keep gunnery officers up all night working out ballistics solutions to various scenarios.  

Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:00:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I understand it now!  I understand why the horizontal drift is always in the same direction.

If you picture the northern hemisphere as a flat plate, the north pole is the center of the plate and the axis it rotates about, while the edge of the plate is the equator.

Place the "shooter" at any point on the plate, and the "target" as any other spot on the plate.  Visualize the path the bullet would travel to hit the target.  Then spin the plate counter-clockwise and trace the path the bullet would travel (which is independent of the plate itself) and you'll see that the bullet always ends up right of the target.  This confirms the direction of fire is independent of the drift direction.
View Quote
Yep, it doesn't feel right but that's a pretty good way of explaining it.  I was having a hard time visualizing it yesterday
That also explains why the horizontal component of the effect is highest at the poles and zero at the equator...
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:27:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Just watched this vid on the Canadian's record shot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzwY6jIwr2o

Must have used a custom angled scope mount? Over 800' holdover?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top