BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 5:01:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't they use coltan to make Terminators?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
l've always found this statistic on the Congo fascinating...

...yet, virtually the only thing you ever hear about the country is Ebola and chopping each other's arms off.
No, they make vibranium out of it, duh. Don't you watch Avengers?
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 5:04:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Tag since Ebola scares the shit out of GD
View Quote
Did it get eradicated here in the U.S., or was the entire thing just a show to keep people from the polls?
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 5:05:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Did it get eradicated here in the U.S., or was the entire thing just a show to keep people from the polls?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tag since Ebola scares the shit out of GD
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 5:06:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
We have a member here who was on the Reston team IIRC
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you heard of the Reston strain?

The Hot Zone is a great read about this BTW.
That was Beerslayer if I remember correctly .
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 5:08:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That is what the people in GD who seemed to know what they were talking about said last time.  It kills too fast and will burn it's self out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ebola is a pretty nasty scary virus. I think it kills its victims too fast usually to be much of a pandemic though. Sorry guys, this probably isn't your zombie apocalypse.
That is what the people in GD who seemed to know what they were talking about said last time.  It kills too fast and will burn it's self out.
That is correct - unless it goes airborn.
It's done that twice that is known - Reston, VA where it wiped out the lab monkeys, and Marburg, Germany where it affected people.
An airborn infection will be much faster spreading - I think the term is 'breakout'.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 5:48:08 PM EDT
[#6]
We have yet to identify the reservoir or vector for Ebola.

It has shown up over and over.

It has been thought to be transmitted by 'bush meat' (maybe monkeys).

We do now monkeys can get Ebola but it appears to kill them in short order so they cannot be the reservoir.

A monkey with Ebola was imported to a animal facility in Reston, VA in the 1989-1990 time frame.

The whole building was torn down.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 6:29:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 6:54:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
...yet, virtually the only thing you ever hear about the country is Ebola and chopping each other's arms off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The Democratic Republic of Congo is widely considered to be one of the world's richest countries in natural resources; its untapped deposits of raw minerals are estimated to be worth in excess of US$24 trillion.[92][93][94] The Congo has 70% of the world's coltan, a third of its cobalt, more than 30% of its diamond reserves, and a tenth of its copper.[95][96]
Africa brah, Africa.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 7:06:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Meh, until I see them black Gulfstreams flying around.....
View Quote
Gray birds.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Known casualty update in OP
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:38:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The Democratic Republic of Congo is widely considered to be one of the world's richest countries in natural resources; its untapped deposits of raw minerals are estimated to be worth in excess of US$24 trillion.[92][93][94] The Congo has 70% of the world's coltan, a third of its cobalt, more than 30% of its diamond reserves, and a tenth of its copper.[95][96]
Africa brah, Africa.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:41:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hope this administration has the fucking sense NOT to import the victims here for treatment.  That bullshit nearly made me change careers.

View Quote
You seriously have to question the Trump Administration about something like this? Really? I'm guessing you missed the first two travel order ban for Al-Qaeda/ISIS infested countries? President Trump would easily shutoff travel to and from  the Congo if there is an Ebola outbreak. The administration is not the problem. The problem are the liberal/communists in Maryland, Washington state, California, Oregon, and Hawaii that would sue the Trump Administration to prevent them from temporarily shutting off travel from/to Congo and any country with an Ebola pandemic. Forget the victims, I'm talking about anyone who might be exposed to the disease like that Liberian citizen that traveled to the US from Liberia and brought Ebola back with him and infected that nurse at the hospital where he went for diagnosis/treatment.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:43:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm ready. Only a matter of time before Mother Nature smacks us down hard again.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:44:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Sofa King In.  GD lost its collective fucking mind during the last Ebolaids outbreak.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:45:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You forgot about the cannibals. Mau Mau's who killed a bunch of people back in the 60's and even snacked on some Nato troop's internal organs who bivouacked there on an unsuccessful peace keeping mission. Oh, and I think that Ebola first appeared in Zaire, hence the original name Ebola-Zaire.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:49:01 PM EDT
[#16]
We are sort of overdue for a population culling plague. The bola just doesn't have legs outside of filthy savage areas though.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:55:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Admittedly I don't ride subways a lot but do people routinely drink the body fluids of sick looking passengers?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Last time, some goofball who arrived in NYC, took a subway from the airport to his home and then went to a public restaurant to have dinner. Can you imagine if that spread to everyone who came in contact with that dude during his subway traveling and then passing it on second-hand to everyone else? It would be an outbreak.
Admittedly I don't ride subways a lot but do people routinely drink the body fluids of sick looking passengers?
From the CDC:

"When an infection occurs in humans, the virus can be spread to others through direct contact (through broken skin or mucous membranes in, for example, the eyes, nose, or mouth) with
•blood or body fluids (including but not limited to urine, saliva, sweat, feces, vomit, breast milk, and semen) of a person who is sick with or has died from Ebola,"

CDC Link

Looks like an infected person who coughs on you (by accident or on purpose) or bumps into you and gets sweat on you and you have a scratch or small cut can pass the disease. Funny, if the disease is so difficult to transmit, then why did they wear hazmat biological suits when they cleaned out that infected Liberian's apartment in Dallas? Based on the info. put out by doctors and the CDC  all you need is an N95 respirator mask (about the same as a painter's mask) and some latex gloves and you're good to go. Yeah right.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 12:36:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

From the CDC:

"When an infection occurs in humans, the virus can be spread to others through direct contact (through broken skin or mucous membranes in, for example, the eyes, nose, or mouth) with
•blood or body fluids (including but not limited to urine, saliva, sweat, feces, vomit, breast milk, and semen) of a person who is sick with or has died from Ebola,"

CDC Link

Looks like an infected person who coughs on you (by accident or on purpose) or bumps into you and gets sweat on you and you have a scratch or small cut can pass the disease. Funny, if the disease is so difficult to transmit, then why did they wear hazmat biological suits when they cleaned out that infected Liberian's apartment in Dallas? Based on the info. put out by doctors and the CDC  all you need is an N95 respirator mask (about the same as a painter's mask) and some latex gloves and you're good to go. Yeah right.
View Quote
The answer is pretty simple actually.  Yes the chances of acquiring the disease is relatively low, but if you DO get it, you're in really deep stuff.  So they don't take any chances at all.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 12:37:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
We have yet to identify the reservoir or vector for Ebola.

It has shown up over and over.

It has been thought to be transmitted by 'bush meat' (maybe monkeys).

We do now monkeys can get Ebola but it appears to kill them in short order so they cannot be the reservoir.

A monkey with Ebola was imported to a animal facility in Reston, VA in the 1989-1990 time frame.

The whole building was torn down.
View Quote
Bats?
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 12:42:47 AM EDT
[#20]
FAKE NEWS.

There's an ebola 'outbreak' every year. It's an annual thing.

Now that there was one big outbreak, are we going to care every year?

And to that chick who cut her Africa stay short by months or whatever, got back to Spain, then went in for Ebola the next day... SHE KNEW. Should have been EXECUTED. For selfishly endangering a plane and airport full of people.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 12:53:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Why is the first symptom of Ebola a sudden urge to get on an airplane?
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 12:57:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Well,  yes we are.  But l don't want to go like that.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 1:07:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Why is the first symptom of Ebola a sudden urge to get on an airplane?
View Quote
I'd hang out at the mall for a whole week. Give some door knobs the time of their lives.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 1:10:13 AM EDT
[#24]
happens every year there... it's like the flu in that way...

It's not news worthy until it gets really bad.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 1:12:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So are we all gonna die this time for sure?
View Quote
Yup.

Link Posted: 5/17/2017 1:33:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do.  It was thebeerslayer.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:53:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be correct TheBeerSlayer

He tried to place logic, reason, experience, and knowledge into the thread last time.  And posters (TCRPE for one) called him, those that defended him shills who were covering for the .gov. 
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 5:17:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
From the CDC:

CDC Link

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Last time, some goofball who arrived in NYC, took a subway from the airport to his home and then went to a public restaurant to have dinner. Can you imagine if that spread to everyone who came in contact with that dude during his subway traveling and then passing it on second-hand to everyone else? It would be an outbreak.
From the CDC:

CDC Link

The PPE worn is a little more than that. We also have a greater risk working with patients than the public.

How often does someone cough on an open wound of yours? Look it is possible. It's just not likely. Which is why the last time Ebola happened we didn't have an outbreat conus.

I'm on my way to the hospital. I'll post more when I get home
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 9:56:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
That is what happens when it occurs in areas with low population densities.  What made the previous outbreak severe was that it occurred in high density areas.  The DRC is sparsely populated with little infrastructure to allow for the disease to easily spread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ebola is a pretty nasty scary virus. I think it kills its victims too fast usually to be much of a pandemic though. Sorry guys, this probably isn't your zombie apocalypse.
That is what happens when it occurs in areas with low population densities.  What made the previous outbreak severe was that it occurred in high density areas.  The DRC is sparsely populated with little infrastructure to allow for the disease to easily spread.
This.

The only way we got ahead of it was to more effectively isolate the infected
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:17:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Given that we have a vaccine that's highly effective at worst, and perhaps 100% effective, ebola is no longer the scare to the US that it once was.
View Quote
That was true of TB at one time, too.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:20:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This phenomenon is best explained here 
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 2:05:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Bump
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:26:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Updated
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:31:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:42:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Oh boy, I hope Trump has the wisdom and foresight to allow free movement of anyone and everyone between here and the areas where there are infections like Obama did, otherwise we're doomed!!! Seriously though, I hope he doesn't start recruiting ebola patients to come here for treatment.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:53:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:00:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
malaria in africa killed over 400k in africa in 2015 alone
View Quote
I might be wrong on this but doesn't  malaria have the highest kill count of any disease/virus/infection in human history?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:01:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:04:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:05:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Congo is probably more prepared than Liberia....not good, but unlikely it will match the last outbreak.
View Quote
Plus the international NGOs throughout Africa have experience with ebola.  Every org is more educated, better prepared, and have protocols ready. 
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:07:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Ebola 2: Pathogenic Boogaloo
View Quote
Ebola 2: TISA

THIS IS STILL AFRICA
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:12:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:16:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The black panther movie, Lol.

A technologically advanced African nation. I know it's fiction but some stuff is just too hard to imagine.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:22:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top