Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/24/2017 1:45:48 AM EDT
30 years old. Just got engaged a couple months ago. Been through 2 deployments together over 3 years, best girl in the world in my opinion.

That being said, just being with one woman scares the ever living shit out of me. I feel like I will miss the thrill of the chase. Does it ever go away? How do you deal?
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 1:48:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Not married, been engaged for 4 months to a woman I have dated for 4 years.

I think you have the wrong idea, I'm not done with the chase, but now the chase is focused on one specific woman.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 1:56:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Tag for insight on my favorite sex.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 2:00:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Building a great life together becomes the new chase.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 2:00:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Kinda like the above, just a different game. Marriage (or the thrill of it) is what you make of it. You can't get more out than you put in.

ETA: except babies, the more you put in, the more you get out....
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 2:04:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I screenshoted your post, and I'll post it in your "Arfcom Curse Strikes Again" thread.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 2:05:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I never really enjoyed the chase, so no, I don't miss it.

There have been a few times where I could have, maybe that animal part of you will want to, but you have to walk away.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 2:16:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
30 years old. Just got engaged a couple months ago. Been through 2 deployments together over 3 years, best girl in the world in my opinion.

That being said, just being with one woman scares the ever living shit out of me. I feel like I will miss the thrill of the chase. Does it ever go away? How do you deal?
View Quote

"There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it."  Oscar Wilde 

You can spend your life with "the best girl in the world" who has already stuck with you for three years through two deployments or you can continue seeking the "thrill of the chase" until you wind up a bitter asshole with nothing to show for your life and nobody to spend it with except a bunch of memories of those you once loved who are dead while you move about watching others live and love.

I can tell you that for me there is no "thrill of the chase" that I have experienced that compares with that look of someone who wants and loves you or waking up with them every day or that feeling when they run and jump in your arms and look at you as if you are the only person on earth nor any "chase" that fills the void left by that someone who gave you that experience only to leave you waiting for your turn to die.

It's your life.   Do with it what you will.   
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 2:21:48 AM EDT
[#8]
You'll find out you'll chase your wife a lot more than you chase your dates.

It's a different kind of chase but you're definitely going too be chasing her. It's a whole new set of puzzles to solve.

The good news is when you figure them out,  you can tie your wife up and do all sorts of unspeakable things to her and she'll like it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 2:29:40 AM EDT
[#9]
The chase sucks.
Watching men and women going through the mating dances..Everytime makes me glad I married young and don't have to deal with that shit.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 2:33:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I always found "the chase" to be woefully depressing.

I stumbled across my wife at your age, and am happier for it.

We've both watched so many of our friends get divorced over the years, we appreciate having found each other.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 2:39:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you got engaged to the right woman, you will get over the thrill of the chase, if you have not committed and you still want to cat around, you have not met the right woman.

I have been married to my wife for 30 years in July, been with her for 33 years and have never been tempted to cat around on her, she has stayed and stuck with me through think and thin.

Spend a long weekend by yourself and play the old paper game, draw a line down the middle, and start writing down the pluses on one side and the minuses on the other and see what you come out with at the end of the weekend.

If you have more pluses than minuses, you have found the right girl...
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 3:04:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Priorities.  What are yours?
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 3:04:48 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm going to be honest here and talk some truth that ain't PC...

There are men and then there are men.  Some men are happy to be in a stable, calm, predictable world.  Other men sail ships across the ocean, climb mountains, and crave challenge.  The second group tends to do things like discover new worlds, fight wars, slaughter jihadists, and so on.

Men who crave victory will always crave victory.  They can manage it...but deep inside, that craving is there.  It hurts and it burns and it wants to be fed.  It is reflexive...not always deliberate and it will always circle back, no matter how hard you push it down.

Risk seeking behavior follows those men.  They will do things for fun that are simply dangerous and stupid.  They will take chances where the risk does not outweigh the gain/loss.

Whatever that "risk" is for you...good luck.  War, sex, fast cars, flying, whitewater...whatever your drug, you will crave it forever.  

You can channel that energy into being an awesome father and the best husband in the world...but it will still be there waiting to tap that adrenaline and show you a mountain to climb, an ocean to cross, and a war with your name on it.  

Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 3:07:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Should have answered this question to yourself before asking her the big question.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 3:16:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There are men and then there are men.  Some men are happy to be in a stable, calm, predictable world.  Other men sail ships across the ocean, climb mountains, and crave challenge.  The second group tends to do things like discover new worlds, fight wars, slaughter jihadists, and so on.

Men who crave victory will always crave victory.  They can manage it...but deep inside, that craving is there.  It hurts and it burns and it wants to be fed.  It is reflexive...not always deliberate and it will always circle back, no matter how hard you push it down.

Risk seeking behavior follows those men.  They will do things for fun that are simply dangerous and stupid.  They will take chances where the risk does not outweigh the gain/loss.

Whatever that "risk" is for you...good luck.  War, sex, fast cars, flying, whitewater...whatever your drug, you will crave it forever.  

You can channel that energy into being an awesome father and the best husband in the world...but it will still be there waiting to tap that adrenaline and show you a mountain to climb, an ocean to cross, and a war with your name on it.  

Good luck.
View Quote
I don't believe that, I have jumped out of airplanes, helicopter skied all over the world, been to war, more times than any man should, raced motocross, drag cars and track cars, been confronted by grizzlies and generally lived a pretty dangerous life, but the once constant in my life has been the woman that loves me.  She has never failed to be there when I need her.  The right woman understands the need for thrills in a life, but also understand the need to be there for those she loves and trusts.  And I have been there as much as possible for her, despite my many deployments over the years.

I am glad I am now retired, it has really been a blessing for both myself and her!

Link Posted: 4/24/2017 3:17:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Obviously not ready for marriage. I've had friends who were like this and pretty much didn't want the girl to get away or find someone else. Every one of them got a divorce.

At 30 you should be ready. If you aren't you probably will never be ready. 
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 3:21:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
I must be defective, I'm 34 and at this point I find that shit about as enjoyable as gouging my eyeballs out. Possibly less, I haven't ever tried gouging an eyeball, it may actually be better.

If I ran into the absolute right one for me, I'd be happy to have just her and her alone, no games and no stupid cheating. I'd rather be doing something fun or experiencing something new than chasing tail.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 3:21:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

=
May if that's worrying you then you probably are not ready for marriage.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 3:24:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Honor,  integrity and morality keeps your word to your betrothed to never stray.
The lack there of will lead to failure.

Some have it, some do not.

I was married 3 times, Never swore to be faithful or forsake others and was honest and up front about
Being unable to do that. Told them to accept that or cut the relationship before it went beyond casual dating.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 3:24:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

You know what would be a great conversation?  Ask your fiancée.  How does she deal with that scary thought?

Honestly?  As awesome as your girl sounds...I'll bet there's an even better one out there.  You should try to find her while you're still young!
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 3:27:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Still chasing same girl for the last 20 years. Sometimes she lets me catch her.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 3:31:13 AM EDT
[#22]
The very idea of the Chase, is obsolete in today's Tinderrimmer Age.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 3:31:24 AM EDT
[#23]
The key is, you need to be ready to accept, you don't want to chase tail any longer, you want to be with the same person day in day out, thick and thin, anger and happiness, if you don't think you are ready or she don't think she is ready to accept those very simple commitments, then you are not ready to get married or be committed to one person yet.  Have a long heart felt talk with her and find out what her thoughts are, that will probably give you some direction.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 3:36:41 AM EDT
[#24]
If you've been together for that long, I'm not sure what "chase" you've been engaging in.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 4:43:21 AM EDT
[#25]
You are not worried about the chase or some such thing. You wanna know if you can commit to having sex with the same woman till you die.

I've been married 11 years now to a woman I dated for a lot of years prior to marriage.
She still excites me. I enjoy her company, we've been through a ton together and changed together.

That doesn't mean that I don't find other women attractive or some such bullshit like that. But the thought of breaking her heart squashes any thoughts of what 'chasing' another would be like. I don't want to fuck other women because I love and actually care about her. If you could live with yourself breaking her heart because she knew you cheated on her don't get married.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 5:06:34 AM EDT
[#26]
You want a successful marriage? Continue to chase your Wife.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 5:08:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Don't get married then. Seriously do not do it.

Your married buddies only want you to get married too so you will be as miserable as them.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 5:20:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Better to break off now, before you get caught cheating and lose everything.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 5:25:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Good luck.
View Quote
Get back to us when you are 72. Or even 56.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 5:25:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I don't believe that, I have jumped out of airplanes, helicopter skied all over the world, been to war, more times than any man should, raced motocross, drag cars and track cars, been confronted by grizzlies and generally lived a pretty dangerous life, but the once constant in my life has been the woman that loves me.  She has never failed to be there when I need her.  The right woman understands the need for thrills in a life, but also understand the need to be there for those she loves and trusts.  And I have been there as much as possible for her, despite my many deployments over the years.

I am glad I am now retired, it has really been a blessing for both myself and her!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.

I agree.

The key is being married to a woman that doesn't fret over your fun activities or work, thinks you are interesting for it, and wants you to enjoy life while still knowing what you are enjoying might kill you, while also realising you could get killed driving to work to sit in a cubicle. For someone that likes risk and fun things married to a woman that is going to worry and not want you to do those things and wants you to change is going to be a problem.

I would go winter mountaineering, rock climbing, ice climbing, to work flying a fighter, paragliding, deploying to places when I could not tell her where I was going or when I would be back, not once did she not want me to go or have a probem with what I was doing.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 5:28:42 AM EDT
[#31]
It was a whole lot HARDER and by far much more rewarding for me to commit to my wife than to chase, ground and snag any of the great women and sex I encountered in my life.

It's not entirely unheard of to channel that sex drive chase into other aspects of your life.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 5:57:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Building a great life together becomes the new chase.
View Quote
It's about having a partner. You can travel to the wildest places on earth but if you don't have a partner to share the experience with and shared memories it's like it never happened. You should be marrying your best friend, someone you truly want share the rest of your life with. If she isn't the best thing that ever happened to you and you're concerned about the chase maybe you're not ready. 
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 6:04:17 AM EDT
[#33]
I remember 30.

Man up and do it. Stop thinking of the chicks you haven't nailed.

55 comes quickly.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 6:09:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

The thrill will transcend into trying to keep that woman. Trust me, being w/just one man scares the hell out of the majority of females too.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 6:11:23 AM EDT
[#35]
You always not get married and stay engaged for 15 years like my buddy did. 
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 6:36:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't see any problem with this as long as you can accept your wife feeling the same way.  You can do this, right?
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 6:40:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Never had the urge to "chase" and still don't.  I WANT one woman for the rest of my life.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 6:42:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I think you have the wrong idea, I'm not done with the chase, but
now the chase is focused on one specific woman.
View Quote
This!

You've focused on her & you do all the same things "in pursuit" with her as your goal. It's worked with my wife & me thru cancer, age, orthopedic problems for over 25 years.

Remember first & foremost she your best friend whom you love, so the consequences of all your actions impact her, just like your team-mates when you were in the service.

If you & your needs/wants matter more to you than her/your teammates, you aren't ready for this step, which is why relationships fail, IME.

OP, I wish you the best & hope it works out.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 6:50:11 AM EDT
[#39]
If you marry the right one, the "thrill" never goes away, YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 6:52:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Sounds like you haven't found the right one...
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 6:57:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Tag for insight on my favorite sex.
View Quote
 Gold right there....
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 6:58:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Good luck.
View Quote
I may agree with some of your post, but not that in red.

Every minute in a stable relationship will work towards diminishing that "craving"  The thought of hurting your wife or family is a powerful fear/motivator.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 6:58:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I think you have the wrong idea, I'm not done with the chase, but now the chase is focused on one specific woman.
View Quote
+1

hopefully the thrill never goes away.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 6:59:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

"There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it."  Oscar Wilde 

You can spend your life with "the best girl in the world" who has already stuck with you for three years through two deployments or you can continue seeking the "thrill of the chase" until you wind up a bitter asshole with nothing to show for your life and nobody to spend it with except a bunch of memories of those you once loved who are dead while you move about watching others live and love.

I can tell you that for me there is no "thrill of the chase" that I have experienced that compares with that look of someone who wants and loves you or waking up with them every day or that feeling when they run and jump in your arms and look at you as if you are the only person on earth nor any "chase" that fills the void left by that someone who gave you that experience only to leave you waiting for your turn to die.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TaxMonkey gets it.  Bravo sir.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 7:06:41 AM EDT
[#45]
The older you get, the more you have only the crazy eye to chase.  You don't want the crazy eye.  They bang you neighbors while you are deployed, take your guns to the pawn shop, wreck your car/truck.

And the crazy eye isn't just crazy in bed, they are crazy ALL THE TIME!

I am sooooo lucky to have a level headed lady.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 7:09:04 AM EDT
[#46]
The cold hard truth is this. If you are getting married and are thinking , man I'm gonna miss banging stranger chicks from the bar that I managed to seduce, your marriage will fail.

I can imagine that being the type of man that is successful at picking up women , that ........power could be intoxicating. Your sense of self worth , your ego boosted by every woman that hears your schtick and says "fuck me" The thought that you must be oh so good looking strokes your ego as well.

I don't know as I've never picked up a stranger and fucked her.

But what I do know is this.....the current prevelant idea that the grass is indeed greener, is wrecking society .

Op , you have a woman is is giving you her life . Her one life. Her only life .

That deserves a hell of a lot more respect than , "omg I won't be allowed to pick up bar skanks anymore , wtfbbq what am I gonna do?"

What you should be thinking : This wonderful woman that I think is awesome is giving me her life , holy fucking shit, am I worthy of THAT?

And then you set out to prove that you are .
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 7:11:48 AM EDT
[#47]
I was tired of the BS and found the right woman. It's not always easy, and you still find other woman physically attractive but that's all. I'm not a drama guy. I know I have it good after 21 yrs.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 7:14:13 AM EDT
[#48]
It's called settling down for a reason. If you're not ready for that, don't do it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 7:14:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
With thinking like this, I would say you are not quite ready to get married yet.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 7:14:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Not sure how to express this on an iPad with little coffee in my system.

You chase different things.  I chase my wife and kids.  I'm up right now working so that when my children are older we can travel and have fun both with the children and without them.  The things I chase now are more meaningful and rewarding than the pussy I used to chase.  Sure I see a hot chick and think "man that would be fun to take for a spin".  But it's nothing I have any desire to act upon or chase.

When I was single and had no kids sure I was looking towards the future, but no where near as much as I am now.  I want my backyard set up for relaxing with the wife and a bad ass play area for my kids.  When I was single it was set up for a party.  

Pussy was easy, a family is more work, but a ton more rewarding.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top