BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:53:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:09:25 PM EDT
[#2]
It has worked well for me.  Get the Jeremy Clarkson voice files.  Fun stuff.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:12:16 PM EDT
[#3]
It's been a piece of shit for me lately.

Apparently Waze doesn't think that 5 or 6 'Traffic at standstill' alerts submitted by users on my route constitutes a re-route at all.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:26:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I loved it but uninstalled it.  The app always tracks you, even when not in use.  The only way (in iOS) is to manually shut off tracking for that program in settings.  Then it doesn't work anymore when you try and open it.  You have to go back into settings in let Waze always track you.  PITA and not worth it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:28:06 PM EDT
[#5]
My GF uses it and gives me info from the PAX seat when we are road tripping.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#6]
After viewing all the permissions required to install this app I chose not too.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 1:57:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I uninstalled it after 10 minutes. Too many beeps and chirps.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
You can change what alerts you get in the settings.

Quoted:
I loved it but uninstalled it.  The app always tracks you, even when not in use.  The only way (in iOS) is to manually shut off tracking for that program in settings.  Then it doesn't work anymore when you try and open it.  You have to go back into settings in let Waze always track you.  PITA and not worth it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:01:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You can change what alerts you get in the settings.

https://i.imgur.com/uy7entu.png
View Quote
It will still track you with the app closed unless you go into ios settings and turn off tracking.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:54:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It will still track you with the app closed unless you go into ios settings and turn off tracking.
View Quote
You'd think it'll give the option of while using instead of always or never.

I don't think it tracks you when you have the app closed. Only running in the background.
Not positive but that's how I read it
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:08:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Believe it, or not, I have found it useful for finding accidents on the highways at work.  A lot of the time, people will call in an accident, but have no idea where the fuck they are.  As such, they just give a general description of where the accident is, and they are usually off by a couple of miles, or on the wrong highway altogether.  I can pull up Waze, and just look for the icon on the map.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:23:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not that I've seen. If you are using Waze and go into the iOS location settings, the arrow will be purple (using or recently used your location). Pause Waze (in the app) and go back to location services and after a delay, the icon will turn gray (indicating location used in last 24 hours).

I've gone a couple days without using Waze before and the 24-hour arrow went away so it hadn't used my location for over 24hrs. YMMV but that's my experience.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:25:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It has worked well for me.  Get the Jeremy Clarkson voice files.  Fun stuff.
View Quote
WOW!

POOOOOWWWWWEEEEERRRRR!!!!
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:33:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I use it all the time for everything BUT directions.

Hate the direction function.
It has given me wrong directions.
The absolute stupidest feature is when it suggests alternate routes to save time, and tells you the alternate rout will save two minutes. I mean, who gives a fuck about that. If somebody dropped a 500# bomb in the road, yeah,... I'd like to know about that. I do NOT want it nagging me about petty bullshit. Fuck yeah, I'm driving near Atlanta. I know traffic sucks. I planned for it. Now quit interrupting my Tool reverie every time I get near an exit.

Glad they FINALLY got the alert-wench to pronounce "object" correctly.

Lastly, I'm not sure if its my car (2010 Toyota), or the Apple directions app, or the Waze app, but if I run the Apple app, and the Waze app simultaneously, I do not get the audible Waze warnings. That shit cost me a speed-radar ticket in DC. Dammit.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:43:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:  That shit cost me a speed-radar ticket in DC. Dammit.
View Quote
 Running two apps simultaneously caused the radar to read incorrectly & erroneously issue you a ticket?  That's screwy.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:45:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I just started using Waze for Uber.  Google Maps kept losing GPS signal at the worst time.

But both apps have significant differences in features.  Google will tell you which lanes to be in 
when approaching turns....I like that....but Waze is a little less obvious. 

I like how Google shows search items on the map while Waze just gives a list of the closest.

Waze has all of the other handy indicators although the constant pop up with ads is freaking annoying.

What can you do?  In true ARFCOM style.....I'll have to keep BOTH!  
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:27:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Slacker    The rank is tied to your home state but the points are universal.

http://www.afterhourtechs.com/misc/waze.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Slacker    The rank is tied to your home state but the points are universal.

http://www.afterhourtechs.com/misc/waze.png
Amateurs.....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:46:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Running two apps simultaneously caused the radar to read incorrectly & erroneously issue you a ticket?  That's screwy.
View Quote
No.

The warning-wench was muted.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:55:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You pulled over to make that entry, right?
View Quote
ow else do you think he placed the tire? It's hard to do that from a moving vehicle and get it to stay in the lanes of traffic.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:24:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
No.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:    Running two apps simultaneously caused the radar to read incorrectly & erroneously issue you a ticket?  That's screwy.
No.

Oh.  Did you tell the judge that?
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:26:34 PM EDT
[#20]
when my coworkers run laser they keep waze open and as soon as they pop up on the app they move to a new spot
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:06:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I was in the process of reporting a dead skunk in the road last week and rear ended a station wagon full of nuns.
View Quote
Waiting for the punch line.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:16:55 AM EDT
[#22]
I'd been using waze for years and just stopped last year. It became useless in my area due to over reporting of traffic by everyone, led to every single non residential road being dark red. I think the waze algorithm needs to be tweaked for more populated areas, maybe identify heavy traffic based on deviation from normally reported traffic at the given time. Too many people think rush hour here is a 'traffic jam'.  I still load it up sometimes for speed trap detection but for the most part I've stopped wazing. I miss my crown.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:19:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
when my coworkers run laser they keep waze open and as soon as they pop up on the app they move to a new spot
View Quote
Do you guys ever notice the cars you know were speeding/look like speeders but know where your speed traps are. The cops here are so unoriginal, I've never been nabbed. I make sure I downshift coming up over an overpass or around the speed trap bends so they know I know.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:37:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
I very much enjoy watching a po po pull into a median crossover to set up and immediately marking them on Waze.  Makes me smile.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 7:17:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Just used this on a trip. I chuckled every time I tagged the po pos. One cop left immediately after I tagged him. Either it was time to move or he had the app open
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 7:09:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Just used this on a trip. I chuckled every time I tagged the po pos. One cop left immediately after I tagged him. Either it was time to move or he had the app open
View Quote
If I were 16 and had this knowledge, I would use it to run cops around like a game, place bets on where they'll stop next and move them again.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 7:40:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 7:52:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Menu->Audio->alerts.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 8:06:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I drive A LOT.  I love Waze for letting you know where the po-po are and other hazards.  
View Quote
I think it's better than a radar detector.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 8:10:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You can do voice entries.  You can have it listen for a wakeup phrase, or you can set it to listen when you triple-tap the screen, which I can do without even looking at it if I need to.

*Tap*
*Listening tone*
"Report object in road."
"Reporting object in road."

Done.
View Quote
This is what I've been missing.  I used twice to and from SW Florida and Ohio.  It was great, but to fumble around trying to contribute to the system is an accident waiting to happen.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 8:12:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I think a GPS app/device maker tried to add in an "avoid bad neighborhoods" feature, and they were threatened with lawsuits by the usual liberal suspects.
View Quote
Microsoft
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 8:18:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You'd think it'll give the option of while using instead of always or never.

I don't think it tracks you when you have the app closed. Only running in the background.
Not positive but that's how I read it
View Quote
Someone said Google owns it.  They're listening to / watching you right now.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 8:33:43 PM EDT
[#33]
I like using it for long trips. It does a great job rerouting around bad traffic. It saved me a good two hours last year on our trip back from OBX. I know it was two hours cuz my friend stayed on the regular route........and sat in traffic for two hours.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top