Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/27/2017 12:13:29 PM EDT
It’s still “full steam ahead” for California’s recreational pot operation, says official.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/marijuana-states-sessions_us_58b380cce4b0780bac2a7468
Communities are rising up green and steeling for a “states’ rights” battle over the cultivation and sale of recreational marijuana — despite a warning about a crackdown by the federal government.

“There’s still a federal law that we need to abide by when it comes to recreational marijuana,” White House press secretary Sean Spicer said last week. “Recreational use ... is something the Department of Justice will be looking into,” he said, emphasizing: “I do believe you’ll see greater enforcement” of federal law.

Pot remains illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act, even though recreational use of marijuana has been approved in eight states and Washington, D.C. It’s legal for medical use in 30 states.

Now growers, smokers and even state officials are preparing to guard the crop across the nation. A major concern is revenue. The non-profit Tax Foundation estimates that a mature legalized marijuana industry would generate up to $28 billion in tax revenue for federal, state and local governments. Colorado raked in $70 million in taxes in 2015, exceeding expectations.

A report on jobs predicts that the legal marijuana industry in the U.S. could create more than 250,000 jobs by the year 2020, Forbes reports. That’s more than projected job gains from manufacturing, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

In Washington, the first state with Colorado to legalize recreational use of the drug, the state attorney general vowed to defy a federal crackdown.

“I will resist any efforts by the Trump administration to undermine the will of the voters in Washington state,” Ferguson told the Seattle Times.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-administration-threat-recreational-marijuana-industry-colorado/
Widespread availability is changing attitudes. Americans once opposed legal pot. But a poll this month showed 71 percent do not want the government enforcing federal laws against marijuana in states that have already legalized medical or recreational marijuana.

The issue is a tough one for Colorado’s Gov. John Hickenlooper who opposed the state’s constitutional amendment making recreational pot legal. But now that it is legal, he said he wouldn’t allow state cops to join any federal crackdown.

“If the Justice Department does aggressively begin to prosecute and try to enforce federal law in states like Colorado, where it’s in our constitution, I think that is a step backwards,” Hickenlooper said.

As pot goes mainstream, it’s creating a lot of jobs – as many as 22,000 in Colorado.

“Instead of a cartel from somewhere else some other country, we are American grown, we are American sold, and we are American consumed,” Nassau said.

“For American jobs?” Petersen asked.

“For American jobs. What more can you ask for?” Nassau said.

Pot is sold in containers meant to be childproof, and it’s not sold to anyone under 21. But those in the black market don’t have those kinds of scruples. They will sell to anyone, and that includes kids.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:19:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Marijuana should be governed by the  states. Feds have bigger things to worry about.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:20:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Either shut it down decisively or delist it as a federally controlled substance.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:22:36 PM EDT
[#3]
In before bootlickers and highhorse morality warriors.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:23:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Just legalize it already.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:23:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Delist it and move on.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:24:25 PM EDT
[#6]
These are all cash businesses correct?

Probably quite a bit of federal tax evasion going on as well.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:24:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Silly. Hopefully Trump will "evolve" on the issue, Obama did after all.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:24:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Aren't there bigger things the fed gov't should worry about right now?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:24:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Marijuana should be governed by the  states. Feds have bigger things to worry about.
View Quote

Agreed.  10th Amendment, no constitutional basis for the feds to regulate it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:25:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:25:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I commented in another thread about Mexico that if Trump legalized marijuana, but only if grown in the US would have huge tax benefits for the US and huge monetary losses for Mexico.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:27:56 PM EDT
[#12]
But I have children. You'll force my children to become pot needle users and my religion states it's bad.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:29:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Trump ran on the rule of law, so I'm surprised people are surprised.  The DREAMer E.O. was carried out by differed prosecutions and ignoring laws. Repeal prohibition or prosecute, anything less is bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:30:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I honestly think this is a state rights issue.

This could be Trump creating leverage. Generally, states that have recreational/medicinal marijuana laws are not willing to enforce federal immigration laws. If Liberal states want to continue sheltering illegals, then Trump will let the DOJ run rampant through those states.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:31:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Commerce Clause according to the courts.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:32:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This could be Trump creating leverage. Generally, states that have recreational/medicinal marijuana laws are not willing to enforce federal immigration laws. If Liberal states want to continue sheltering illegals, then Trump will let the DOJ run rampant through those states.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's actually my fear.  I believe this is an attempt to get back at so called 'sanctuary states'.  Trump might be all like "If you want to shelter illegals I'll sent the DOJ to fuck up your state economies by cracking down on weed".

Quoted:
Trump ran on the rule of law, so I'm surprised people are surprised.  The DREAMer E.O. was carried out by differed prosecutions and ignoring laws. Repeal prohibition or prosecute, anything less is bullshit.

Uh yeah, we'll get right on that after repealing the NFA, getting our normal gas cans back, repealing unconstitutional state gun laws etc.  The government only takes freedom.  It NEVER gives it back.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:33:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm thinking this is a 4-D chess move to push the immigration issue.

and after he gets what he wants with the immigration, hell push for it to be removed as a schedule 1 and tax the shit out of it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:34:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm thinking this is a 4-D chess move to push the immigration issue.

and after he gets what he wants with the immigration, hell push for it to be removed as a schedule 1 and tax the shit out of it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:35:04 PM EDT
[#19]
It's going to be a losing fight for the Feds.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:35:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That's actually my fear.  I believe this is an attempt to get back at so called 'sanctuary states'.  Trump might be all like "If you want to shelter illegals I'll sent the DOJ to fuck up your state economies by cracking down on weed".
View Quote

States accepting economic refugees and absorbing them into their safety net need no help having their economies fucked up.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:35:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Many would absolutely love to be able to take cards but the banks can't/won't do business with them.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:36:24 PM EDT
[#22]
MJ is against federal law.  If congress doesn't want the Justice Department enforcing the law they need to change it.  Otherwise it's the Justice Departments job to enforce the law and crack down on MJ.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:36:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't have a problem with pot heads. I mean is eating cheetos on your couch while playing video games really that bad of a crime? lol

Alcohol destroys tens of thousands of lives every year... yet its legal
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:36:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Uh yeah, we'll get right on that after repealing the NFA, getting our normal gas cans back, repealing unconstitutional state gun laws etc.  The government only takes freedom.  It NEVER gives it back.
View Quote

I'll have a beer to that.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:36:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's weakening and with Gorsuch on the court perhaps Wickard could be revisited.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:36:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Will it? The Feds have the Commerce Clause and the Supremacy Clause and the big checkbook on their side. All the states can do is say "then do something about it."
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:37:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Personally, I don't care either way on this issue...but if your are driven to become politically active in order to gain access to a substance,to get high, your life must be fairly sad and empty.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:37:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:38:31 PM EDT
[#29]
How bout we vote on it?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:40:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I don't have a problem with pot heads. I mean is eating cheetos on your couch while playing video games really that bad of a crime? lol

Alcohol destroys tens of thousands of lives every year... yet its legal
View Quote

Yup,  Just have a look at this
http://nypost.com/2017/02/26/driver-in-mardi-gras-crash-had-blood-alcohol-level-3-times-legal-limit/
And yet this substance is totally legal and socially encouraged.  I can only imagine what would have happened if this guy had been high from smoking weed.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:41:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

They'd like to have loans and accounts like other businesses but the Feds won't allow that.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:42:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have been told you can use paypal at some of them.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:42:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Many would absolutely love to be able to take cards but the banks can't/won't do business with them.
View Quote

I thought they fixed most of those issues?

Oh and leave it to the GOP to fuck things up when it's going so well.  When will everyone realize that the left uses these referendums to turn out dem voters in important elections.  The smartest thing the GOP could possible do, is push to legalize it federally.  Then say goodbye to the pot referendums that turn out leftist voters in hoards.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:44:43 PM EDT
[#34]
I fully support pot legalization but since our state AG and governor want to harass Trump and declare us a sanctuary state, as well as attack 2A rights of our states cirizens, I would be ecstatic if Trump suddenly told the DEA to crack down on legal MJ in WA if the governor doesn't stop showboating
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:46:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The commerce clause has been raped to the point that it overrules the 10th.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:47:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This could be Trump creating leverage to fix the federal/state CF. Generally, states that have recreational/medicinal marijuana laws are not willing to enforce federal immigration laws. If Liberal states want to continue sheltering illegals, then Trump will let the DOJ run rampant through those states.
View Quote
I believe President Trump has initiated a focus on this issue -- the mismatch between federal and state laws  -- that suggests a solution.  Which will come through the legislative process.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:48:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Personally, I don't care either way on this issue...but if your are driven to become politically active in order to gain access to a substance,to get high, your life must be fairly sad and empty.
View Quote

Oh fucking please.  Going to vote is not "becoming politically active".  

If you smoke pot, why wouldn't you go vote to legalize it if you had the chance?  They aren't starting some fucking super PAC or something, they are voting.  And they aren't "gaining access".  They already have access, it's just not legal.  

So let's see, should I go vote to make myself not a criminal anymore for growing some plant?  Yes, it seems logical that they would.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:50:00 PM EDT
[#38]
This is an incredibly stupid issue for them to dig their heels in on.

Zero political upside.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:50:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Maybe Trump and Sessions are playing chess here.

If it looks like they will come after it, will it embolden other states to enact laws legalizing the growth, sale and use?

Then without realizing it, a state will realize it's people have banded together to push weed legislation through and half the battle is already won.

The public opinion swayed, people aligned to ensure its legalized by states rights and so on, and so on.....
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:50:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:50:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

If you smoke pot, why wouldn't you go vote to legalize it if you had the chance?  They aren't starting some fucking super PAC or something, they are voting.  And they aren't "gaining access".  They already have access, it's just not legal.  

So let's see, should I go vote to make myself not a criminal anymore for growing some plant?  Yes, it seems logical that they would.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or some people might believe broadly in the concept of personal freedom and individual responsibility and they might think that just because some public servant took a tax funded job they should not have much of a say in how others live.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:50:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Gun ownership should be governed by the states????
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:52:44 PM EDT
[#43]
In before Obama and the kids.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:53:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:53:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Like state gun laws.....
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:53:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Pot or Pedro, you choose.

Good way to get the liberal "Sanctuary city" states that voted in legal weed, to turn against illegals. I'd rather have legal weed in my state then a shit ton of illegal messicans.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:54:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:55:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

That's weakening and with Gorsuch on the court perhaps Wickard could be revisited.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless that's the plan, which would be genius.

Get drug laws changed nationwide through SCOTUS repeal and chop down the absurd overreach of Wickard v Filburn?

Win win 4D chess.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:58:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Cool, I want to live in a legal machine gun state, or maybe an RPG sanctuary city.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:59:42 PM EDT
[#50]
I find it a bit ironic that on the issue of the transgender bathroom issue he feels the states should reserve the right to legislate local laws, but then on the issue of marijuana legislation the fed's should intercede. Makes no sense.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top