BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:55:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Wrong. He sued and won.

""Without the ADA I never would have been able to pursue my dream of playing golf professionally," Casey says"

https://www.ada.gov/fmartin.htm
View Quote

And still couldn't hack it.  Coaching somewhere last I heard.  And that doesn't change the fact that the game is played without a cart.  It was opposed exactly because walking and what that adds is considered by golfers to be an essential element of the game. Golf didn't change its rules to accommodate the guy. He was forced on the game by a court.  

You mind sharing your handicap? Or just confirming what your level of golf experience is? 
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:58:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

And still couldn't hack it.  Coaching somewhere last I heard.  And that doesn't change the fact that the game is played without a cart.  It was opposed exactly because walking and what that adds is considered by golfers to be an essential element of the game. Golf didn't change its rules to accommodate the guy. He was forced on the game by a court.  

You mind sharing your handicap? Or just confirming what your level of golf experience is? 
View Quote

I play 9 hole maybe every 5 years when my friend invites me, never really cared for that game.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:00:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Wrong. He sued and won.

""Without the ADA I never would have been able to pursue my dream of playing golf professionally," Casey says"

"This year, Casey qualified for the PGA Tour, and now plays alongside the greatest golfers in the world. "

Funny, I don't think somebody in his physical condition will be fighting in the UFC or playing in the NFL anytime soon...

https://www.ada.gov/fmartin.htm
View Quote
 Casey does not play on the tour , I don't think he even played two events since the ruling .
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:01:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Earnest Hemingway?
View Quote
My bad. I think you did say that, didn't you?

I think if there were an opposite of golf, it might be Hemingway.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:01:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No.  It is a competition however.

To be a sport there must be both an element of danger and risk of loss of life, and clear objective scoring criteria for points scored by the player(s) (i.e. no judging).

Unless you count getting eaten by an alligator from the water hazard as the element of danger risk of loss of life, golf is not a sport it's a competition.
View Quote

I think events like the high jump, long jump, 100 meter dash etc. are the epitome of a sport.  Unaided physical competitions with an unambiguous winner (whoever runs faster, jumps higher etc.).  Unless they have lions chasing them, I'm not sure where a risk of loss of life would come into play.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:03:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I play 9 hole maybe every 5 years when my friend invites me, never really cared for that game.
View Quote

your what we call a golf course terrorist , going around slowing up the course , picking up
other peoples balls because you thought it was yours and so on .
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:04:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
 Casey does not play on the tour , I don't think he even played two events since the ruling .
View Quote

So what. The fact of the matter is that the guy can compete at the professional level despite a debilitating disorder. That's not to disparage those with physical limitations, rather as a bellwether that maybe this game doesn't require a huge level of physical exertion.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:04:27 PM EDT
[#8]
How is this even a question......

Some of you fuckers couldn't walk a course, much less train enough to become competitive at ANY level.

Flame away hackers..
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:04:42 PM EDT
[#9]
It is definitely a sport.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:04:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

your what we call a golf course terrorist , going around slowing up the course , picking up
other peoples balls because you thought it was yours and so on .
View Quote

Who cares? It's a stupid game anyway.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:05:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cool.  That decreases the chance that real golfers will have to deal with you on the course.  Win win for everyone.

By the way, I think in my first post I called it both a game and sport.    My broad definitions, and all that.

Thanks again for starting this thread and giving us a chance to argue this.  Though, it's not nearly inflammatory enough for normal GD standards.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:07:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Cool.  That decreases the chance that real golfers will have to deal with you on the course.  Win win for everyone.

By the way, I think in my first post I called it both a game and sport.    My broad definitions, and all that.

Thanks again for starting this thread and giving us a chance to argue this.  Though, it's not nearly inflammatory enough for normal GD standards.
View Quote

What, pray tell, is a real golfer? Does one have to make money off of it to be a "real golfer"? I played the stupid game, and I am real, ergo, real golfer.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:08:43 PM EDT
[#13]
As performance of playing an oboe is subjective, golf is not and as it also requires physical effort and coordination it is a sport.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:09:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
As performance of playing an oboe is subjective, golf is not and as it also requires physical effort and coordination it is a sport.
View Quote

What about chess? That requires physical effort and coordination, and is not subjective...
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:12:08 PM EDT
[#15]
This thread is fucking stupid and OP should quit drinking,Or dosing
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:14:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What, pray tell, is a real golfer? Does one have to make money off of it to be a "real golfer"? I played the stupid game, and I am real, ergo, real golfer.
View Quote

It's hard to quantify, but I know it when I see it. How about that? I think you don't play often enough to count as a real golfer. 

Dude....you admit that you don't like the sport (or game), do not play regularly, and certainly don't care about getting any better at it.  I think it's fair to say that you don't even consider yourself a golfer.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:15:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Not a sport.  it's a GAME just like football, baseball, bassetball, and the rest of the GAMES.

there are only three sports. Shooting sports )which include hunting), Fishing, and the Martial Arts (including boxing, and the other hand to hand as well as swords and knives).

My opinion and you're welcome to it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:15:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This thread is fucking stupid and OP should quit drinking,Or dosing
View Quote
I've never gotten to feed the trolls before. Let me have a little fun with this damn it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:17:17 PM EDT
[#19]
No, chess does not require physical effort. A wheelchair bound quadriplegic could tell Siri the moves and play.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:18:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Now this was a sport.  Damn water hazards.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/338038/IMG-0423-149655.JPG
View Quote

The one I went to had a windmill, right in the middle of a fairway. Dang windmill.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:19:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
No, chess does not require physical effort. A wheelchair bound quadriplegic could tell Siri the moves and play.
View Quote

It is some physical effort. You do have to physically move the pieces. It's not MUCH physical effort, which is my whole point about golf.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:25:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

So what. The fact of the matter is that the guy can compete at the professional level despite a debilitating disorder. That's not to disparage those with physical limitations, rather as a bellwether that maybe this game doesn't require a huge level of physical exertion.
View Quote
yea and so could Joe theisman throw a football , he just couldn't run around in the pocket anymore .
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:30:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I hate golf but sadly it is a sport by any widely accepted definition of a sport.

it s kind of a gay sport for unathletic wealthy people and women.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:35:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

No, competitive shooting is just high velocity darts. ETA: I am not talking about things like biathlon, which obviously fulfills my 2 requirements.

My requirements to be a sport:

1) Has a non-subjective way of determining the winner. This rules out ice dancing, as the only way to win is at the whim of a panel of judges.

2) Requires a high level of physical exertion. Basically, if a person claiming Social Security can compete with 23 year olds, it's not a sport (sorry, golf).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is competitive shooting a sport?  How you feel about one will directly correlate to how you feel about the other...

No, competitive shooting is just high velocity darts. ETA: I am not talking about things like biathlon, which obviously fulfills my 2 requirements.

1) Has a non-subjective way of determining the winner. This rules out ice dancing, as the only way to win is at the whim of a panel of judges.

2) Requires a high level of physical exertion. Basically, if a person claiming Social Security can compete with 23 year olds, it's not a sport (sorry, golf).

Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:36:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.Ernest Hemingway
View Quote

Came here to post this.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:36:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I hate golf but sadly it is a sport by any widely accepted definition of a sport.

it s kind of a gay sport for unathletic wealthy people and women.
View Quote
A friend of mine broke his ass to become a pro. Everyday after school, weekends, even worked at the course for money. He wasn't wealthy growing up.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:37:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP aren't you the guy that posts in threads that you shot your neighbors cat for walking on your car?

Yes

Good shoot, better than it getting caught in the fan when you start it on a cold day
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:32:43 PM EDT
[#28]
So according to this thread, the definition depends on a certain amount of skill & co-ordination, exertion and the level & duration of that exertion.  It apparently also depends on the level at which it is being played, how it is played (with or without beer) and maybe even who is playing.  

Those who say that a sport must contain danger and risk loss of life or injury or it isn’t a sport because you can drink doing it are being ridiculous.  
Like I said in my other post and it’s just my opinion, for the guys who just play on weekends with their buddies, it’s more of a game to them.  For those who have taken the time achieve a higher level of success or make a living at it, it’s a sport.

Pressure:  should a certain amount of pressure be a factor in the definition?  Anybody here ever had to make a five foot putt for a few hundred bucks or a few thousand (especially if it’s your own money)?  It can be enough to make you shake & puke.  Now multiply that pressure by a factor of a hundred for a tour player.  The difference between a successful touring pro and a guy who shoots 75 every week on his local course is huge.  

Somebody mentioned that golf pros arrive 3 hours early each day to practice and then walk 18 holes for 4 days straight followed by another practice session after each round.  They then travel on Monday & Tuesday and do it all over again at the next stop. The preparation to accomplish that and play at that level is phenomenal.  Something else about pro golf, it’s not a team thing. You have to qualify and play well or you don’t eat.  You also have to maintain a certain level of play every year to stay on tour – more pressure.  

For those who have never played a single round and who call golf a stupid or gay game, why so flippant and disrespectful?  What sports have you played?  Are you good at anything?  Go try it or take a lesson or two and get back to me on how easy it is.

Bottom line – it’s a sport guys.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:35:51 PM EDT
[#29]
has even less exertion than baseball, which is the game/sport watershed.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:36:44 PM EDT
[#30]
I guess. I am just glad the whole golf craze finally petered out.  There for awhile, every Tom, Dick, and Harry fancied himself a golf pro.  Shit was laughable.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:47:15 PM EDT
[#31]
People here are retards about golf, with most being toolbags talking about the "waste of a good shooting range" types.

Obviously many here have never played, and don't appreciate the amount of hand eye coordination and skill required to play well. And they probably have that image of 70s era golfers in their minds.. today's tour pros are awesome athletes and they can do things with a golf ball that are amazing. The reason they make it look so easy on TV is because they are that damn good.

So yes it's a sport, requiring physical exertion and fitness to play at a tour level, along with mental toughness and an extraordinary amount of practice, skill and talent.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:56:54 PM EDT
[#32]
OP seems angry that the world doesn't recognize his genius.

That's my take on it, at least.

Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:59:52 PM EDT
[#33]
It's like shooting, but not as cool.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:00:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So according to this thread, the definition depends on a certain amount of skill & co-ordination, exertion and the level & duration of that exertion.  It apparently also depends on the level at which it is being played, how it is played (with or without beer) and maybe even who is playing.  

Those who say that a sport must contain danger and risk loss of life or injury or it isn’t a sport because you can drink doing it are being ridiculous.  
Like I said in my other post and it’s just my opinion, for the guys who just play on weekends with their buddies, it’s more of a game to them.  For those who have taken the time achieve a higher level of success or make a living at it, it’s a sport.

Pressure:  should a certain amount of pressure be a factor in the definition?  Anybody here ever had to make a five foot putt for a few hundred bucks or a few thousand (especially if it’s your own money)?  It can be enough to make you shake & puke.  Now multiply that pressure by a factor of a hundred for a tour player.  The difference between a successful touring pro and a guy who shoots 75 every week on his local course is huge.  

Somebody mentioned that golf pros arrive 3 hours early each day to practice and then walk 18 holes for 4 days straight followed by another practice session after each round.  They then travel on Monday & Tuesday and do it all over again at the next stop. The preparation to accomplish that and play at that level is phenomenal.  Something else about pro golf, it’s not a team thing. You have to qualify and play well or you don’t eat.  You also have to maintain a certain level of play every year to stay on tour – more pressure.  

For those who have never played a single round and who call golf a stupid or gay game, why so flippant and disrespectful?  What sports have you played?  Are you good at anything?  Go try it or take a lesson or two and get back to me on how easy it is.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

End thread.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:02:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

He should give women's tour a try, or sue them.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:19:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's awful lot of typing just to be wrong.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:47:04 PM EDT
[#37]
op is mad,

and in before familiar 
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:49:45 PM EDT
[#38]
I haven't played a round of golf in 15 years. I see it more as playing fetch with yourself rather than a sport, you hit the ball then go find it then repeat.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:02:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm curious.  Which paragraph do you have an issue with?  Or do you just disagree with my personal conclusion?  Anyone can play Monopoly, that's a "game".
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:03:03 PM EDT
[#40]
It's a sport that takes a lot of talent and practice.

I've seen many kids get their tour dreams crushed from injuries as well.

I bet 87% of the posters saying it isn't couldn't walk 18 holes, carrying a bag in the summer, without an ambulance being called.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:05:50 PM EDT
[#41]
All I want to say is let faster players play through.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:09:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Game yes.
Sport no.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:14:19 PM EDT
[#43]
I was winded after briskly walking 9 on Friday
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:16:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Golf is a GAME.

“There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”

Ernest Hemingway
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:27:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Never tried it, and watching on TV puts me to sleep even faster than watching football on Thanksgiving.

I think it would be much more interesting if you were allowed to smack the other golfers with your clubs once in a while...slow guys ahead of you?

Pull out your custom made Duffer Driver and get busy!
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:35:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
People here are retards about golf, with most being toolbags talking about the "waste of a good shooting range" types.

Obviously many here have never played, and don't appreciate the amount of hand eye coordination and skill required to play well. And they probably have that image of 70s era golfers in their minds.. today's tour pros are awesome athletes and they can do things with a golf ball that are amazing. The reason they make it look so easy on TV is because they are that damn good.

So yes it's a sport, requiring physical exertion and fitness to play at a tour level, along with mental toughness and an extraordinary amount of practice, skill and talent.
View Quote

Your right. I invite any person on this thread to hit 100 practice balls in 95 degree heat and then play 18 holes at Bethpage State Park's Black Course from the tips.  Also, walking the course carrying his or her own golf clubs. The average hacker will not even finish the round or shot a score of 130. That person's definition of a sport will change quick after that.
Oh and I forgot. Do that 4 days in a row.
Fat drunks playing on the weekend from the old man white tees in a cart is not real golf. The courses they are playing are flat with wide open fairways and slow ass greens. Not even near what a championship course should be.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:42:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Ernest Hemingway has spoken...

sheep are numerous 'round here
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:44:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Take it from a guy who played on the HS golf team, league for a few years, and one time avid golfer, GOLF IS GAY AND a waste of time!
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:44:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your 2nd definition is as faulty as your judgement in other areas. Golf is very much a sport.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:45:59 PM EDT
[#50]
hell no. Waste of a perfectly good shooting range with a park for the kids to play in is what it is.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top