Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 1:10:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No bolster either.  tisk tisk
View Quote

If you like using a bolster grip, you can just grip the front of the handle.  Works great.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 1:12:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 4:59:12 AM EDT
[#3]
These are nice for the price
Misen chef knife
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 6:47:42 AM EDT
[#4]
For value, the Victorinox Fibrox is awesome sauce.

Tojiro and MAC knives are more money, but super sharp and less generic.

A CCK chinese cleaver is 70 bucks and fun to use.

If I were on a limited budget, I'd get the Fibrox and a King 1000/6000 stone and learn to sharpen.  Despite all the mystique around sharpening, it is simple and easy and quick to get a shaving edge in under 2 minutes.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 6:54:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I've never found a knife I couldn't get sharp as fuck with a lansky (other than ceramic)
staying sharp is the trick
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 6:57:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Victorinox w/black, Dexter with white handles are commercial grade that will last a lifetime and are very reasonable,I have at least a dozen
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 6:59:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
These knives are sharp as fuck, and is made of, and machined from, one piece of SS billet.

https://www.amazon.com/Global-G-2-inch-Chefs-Knife/dp/B00005OL44
View Quote
can't stand the one piece design and the handle would freeze your hand doing butcher work in the cold room, price is crazy too
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 9:11:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Cutco, or Rada.  Quality, and USA made.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 9:22:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
can't stand the one piece design and the handle would freeze your hand doing butcher work in the cold room, price is crazy too
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
These knives are sharp as fuck, and is made of, and machined from, one piece of SS billet.

Link Posted: 1/15/2017 9:24:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's the kind I have........they really are pretty good.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 9:28:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
These knives are sharp as fuck, and is made of, and machined from stamped or forged from SS.

View Quote
Updated my post, these are stamped/forged, not machined.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 9:53:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm not sure if it is in your price range, but Henckel knives are GTG
View Quote

Look on that auction site for used Henckels.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 11:15:25 AM EDT
[#13]
http://www.zwillingonline.com/38412203.html

We have a chef knife and a butcher knife like this we got as a gift.  Don't know much about knifes, but love it, love it, love it.  Balance and feel is perfect, stays sharp and just works.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 2:16:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't like bolsters. I use the heel of my knife.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 3:03:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Wow.....it seems like everyone loves the Victorinox knives for the money.....for $30 something on amazon, I think I'm going to give it a try. If I don't like it, I will try one of the Globals....seems like lots of recommendations for those also.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 3:05:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Wusthof is what you seek
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 4:01:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Wusthof vs. Victorinox. Basically, do you want a great working knife at a great price or a knife block queen?

Wusthof Classic vs Victorinox Fibrox — Chef's Knife.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 4:18:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not a fan either.

I love my extremely cheap Sam's Club chef's knife. I've thought about buying nice knives, but I just can't justify it.

Link Posted: 1/15/2017 4:46:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Wusthof vs. Victorinox. Basically, do you want a great working knife at a great price or a knife block queen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic394yFQ804
View Quote

Dang, that kind of pushes me hard towards the Wusthof.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 4:51:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Shun.

Just bought their 10 piece set.  Fracking awesome but expensive
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 5:17:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Dang, that kind of pushes me hard towards the Wusthof.
View Quote

Not sure what video you watched....but that video makes me glad I ordered the Victorinox. The fact that the bolster on the Wusthof runs all the way to the bottom of the blade and you cant use the heel of the knife ......that's stinks.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 6:03:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 6:03:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Typical European chef knives like the Wusthof have a FULL bolster which gets in the way.  Japanese knives do NOT have FULL bolsters.  Cheaper stamped sheet steel knives have NO bolsters at all.  

The Victorinox is...   OK.  

But the main reason it's cheaper is that the steel is only 55 Rc.  

Even the Wusthof has 58 Rc

The Tojiro DP has 60 Rc, a full tang, a half bolster, and costs well under $100.  

The Victorinox does not have a full tang nor any bolster.  

I have Victorinox, Wusthof and Tojiro knives and after using them all for years, I tend not to bother resharpenining the soft steeled Victorinox, because I know the edge will dull so fast to make it not worth the effort.  

I've had Globals too.  They are good, but the steel is not as good as the VG10 core steel of the Tojiro DPs, and they are significantly more $.  There are MANY Japanese knives that are much better than Global and Shun for less $.  
Tojiro DP is the "gateway" into higher quality superior steeled knives.

http://www.chowhound.com/post/tojiro-dp-victorinox-1016940

https://www.centurylife.org/how-to-choose-a-knife-in-depth-product-reviews-kitchen-knives-sharpeners-knife-blocks-and-other-knife-storage/

the Victorinox Fibrox 8-Inch Chef’s Knife 40520, 47520, 45520, 5.2063.20 is currently $40, whereas the Tojiro DP 8-inch gyuto is about $10 more–and the Tojiro is sturdier and uses harder steel that can hold an edge longer. I’d get the Victorinox chef’s knife only if the gap were at least $30.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 9:04:17 PM EDT
[#24]
So the Victorinox knives are sharp when you get them, but when they get dull ....you wont try to sharpen them because they wont hold the new sharp edge you put on it?  That makes no sense to me at all.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 9:08:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So the Victorinox knives are sharp when you get them, but when they get dull ....you wont try to sharpen them because they wont hold the new sharp edge you put on it?  That makes no sense to me at all.
View Quote
And of course being slightly softer, they sharpen and touch up easier.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 9:18:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Costco ( business center ) not regular Costco near me sells a lot of restaurant supplies amongst many other things there.

I bought a really nice set ( 2 pack ) of white handle Chefs knives from them for around $20-25 for 2 knifes. They have a white hard rubbery plastic kind of handle and hold a nice edge. Not sure the name brand. A very generic supplier I am sure as they sell many diff kitchen knifes the same white handle / manuf there.

ETA - I just checked online Costco.com and not shown there. Must be an item exclusive to Costco business centers here in the Seattle area ( hwy 99 in Lynnwood for the locals )
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 9:19:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Amazon Product
  • Has a Plain edge
  • Has a fixed lock
  • Flat blade grind

Simple yet effective.  Carbon steel.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 9:24:04 PM EDT
[#28]
The Ginsu (Commercial Offer, 1980)
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 10:13:33 PM EDT
[#29]
So the Victorinox knives are sharp when you get them, but when they get dull ....you wont try to sharpen them because they wont hold the new sharp edge you put on it? That makes no sense to me at all.
View Quote

Take some time to try to understand the Rockwell C hardness scale and it's impact on you.  

I've spent hours sharpeing Vics and many other knives.  It doesn't take long to realize though that A) low relative hardness like 55Rc will not hold a thin edge anyway near what 60Rc VG10 will hold so you won't be able to run the Vic at say a 13degree angle like the DP for any length of time, so it won't perform like the Tojiro DP.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt9362JKl6A

B) 55Rc is much softer relatively than 60Rc for use so even at the same angles will not hold an edge as long.  

You're OP ask for better edge holding.  The Tojiro DP with 60Rc is that for the $.  

The steel in those cheap Chinese Walmart knives has gotten a little better.  How do you even know that they are not 55Rc and that the Vic will hold a better edge.  To me they are about the same.   I never said Vics are sharp out of the box.  In my experience they are not.  

The effort and time in sharpening a 55Rc Vic and 60 Rc Tojiro DP is the same to me.  But the edge retention is not even close.

I have half a dozen Old Hickory Ontario 1095 carbon knives like the one suggested above and they take and hold a better edge and perform better than the Vic.  But they no longer offer the Chef knife style (I have two).
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 4:03:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Well, my Victorinox Chef's knife finally came in from Amazon yesterday.  Overall I've very happy with it. It's extremely sharp compared to my no-name Chef's knives I have, it chops very well, and is easy to handle. The one thing that I'm going to have to get used to is the handle. The shape a size of it feels a little small in my hand.....I'm sure I will get used to it over time.

Overall, for $35 or so...it's a nice knife as far as I can tell. Time will tell how well it holds it's edge.

Link Posted: 1/18/2017 9:48:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Well, my Victorinox Chef's knife finally came in from Amazon yesterday.  Overall I've very happy with it. It's extremely sharp compared to my no-name Chef's knives I have, it chops very well, and is easy to handle. The one thing that I'm going to have to get used to is the handle. The shape a size of it feels a little small in my hand.....I'm sure I will get used to it over time.

Overall, for $35 or so...it's a nice knife as far as I can tell. Time will tell how well it holds it's edge.

https://images.knifecenter.com/thumb/1500x1500/knifecenter/forsch/images/40520c.jpg
View Quote

Just be warned, SKD(sharp knife disease) can be as insidious as BRD. Problem is knives are normally cheaper. I have several that cost more than a decent AR15.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 10:40:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Yeah, it's definitely nice to have a nice sharp knife in the kitchen. I've gotten used to "slightly sharp" knifes.....this Victorinox makes cutting/chopping soooooooo much easier.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 10:58:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Just be warned, SKD(sharp knife disease) can be as insidious as BRD. Problem is knives are normally cheaper. I have several that cost more than a decent AR15.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://images.knifecenter.com/thumb/1500x1500/knifecenter/forsch/images/40520c.jpg

Do they work better than Fibrox?
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 4:57:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Do they work better than Fibrox?
View Quote

Most definitely!

I have some handmade knives that are fantastic machines in the kitchen. It's just a matter of how much you are willing to spend. My HHH nakiri set me back about $1600

My Andrade Big Frenchy set me back $1050

I'm very happy with both, and as kitchen knives go; it's like comparing scalpels to baseball bats.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top