Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:36:34 AM EDT
[#1]
No matter how good your training and tactics are sometimes fate is the hunter.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:39:21 AM EDT
[#2]
If I were in that situation, I hope I'd be as brave, and I don't really have any reason to think I'd fare any better.

No criticism for him, and I hope we can all learn from watching the video
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:43:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

He was braver then 90% of the people on here who think they are badasses and would have taken them on.

That said he was very careless and oblivious to what else was going on.  Guy starts yelling and shooting, everyones fleeing, and the lady following acting normal doesn't raise suspicion?

View Quote

Agree.  Great video.  I could so see that being me that got shot.  Forewarned is forearmed.  Thanks for posting OP.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:46:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
At least he did something, or tried to..

I can't say for sure what I would do.  I carry, but any firearms training i've had has been solely for self defense purposes and thats the primary reason I carry, for self defense.  

I think engaging an active shooter like that requires a different skill set than your average joe with a concealed handgun has.  

View Quote
Well stated. There are people among us here who have run to gunfire and will again, but the majority of us have never been in that situation and cannot say for sure what we would do. Spot on too on your comment about skill set. I have much respect for those that have it and use it to protect the rest of us.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:47:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

He had the warrior mindset....he went immediately to the threat when others ran away from it.  He did in a split second what law enforcement trains endless hours to do.  He simply lacked the proper training to deal with multiple attackers.   His heart was that of a cop, soldier, defender.  No doubt.
View Quote

This.  Did he have any occupational or military training before?  I can't fault him, he did what he thought at that time was the right thing to do and probably saved someone an daybed altered their plan enough to save a lot of people.

What's up with them getting their ammo from the sporting goods, they didn't bring any more?
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:48:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:06:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Instructive.  Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:12:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:15:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'd imagine it's very easy to get tunnel visioned in on the obvious "look at me" threat and subconsciously eliminate the normal looking woman from the situation.

Not going to bash him.  Just learn from his mistakes.

He died trying to help others.  He's a hero even if he failed.
View Quote

Pretty much sums it up.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:17:04 AM EDT
[#10]
My wife always gives me shit for glancing at peoples' eyes and then looking at their hands when we're in public.
Look at how many people were entering the store with the shooters and did not notice or react to them brandishing their weapons.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:29:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Man is still a Hero IMO.  Anyone willing to risk their life to save others is.  There never was a guarantee of success.

RIP
View Quote

+1

I remember this incident.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:36:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

He was braver then 90% of the people on here who think they are badasses and would have taken them on.

That said he was very careless and oblivious to what else was going on.  Guy starts yelling and shooting, everyones fleeing, and the lady following acting normal doesn't raise suspicion?

View Quote

Easy to MMQB him after the fact, isn't it?

People being clueless about their surroundings isn't a good indicator of what side they're on.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:39:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No matter how good your training and tactics are sometimes fate is the hunter.
View Quote

There is one thing that "HAS always, WAS in this situation, and WILL always" be true of  all types of combat, whether personal or professional.

And that thing is that no matter how WELL prepared you are, or how UNWELL prepared you are, luck (or the lack thereof) will always have some effect on the outcome.

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:41:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I wondered the same...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is a "professor of defense against the black arts"?

I wondered the same...
From the Harry Potter series of books.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:43:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, that's pretty retarded.

I watch this guy's vids from time to time (he posts a ton of video of shootings that happen in South America).  I think his heart is in the right place but he's kind of a neckbeard.

I notice that on his more recent videos he no longer uses that dumb ass title.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:45:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wondered the same...

Is that what that shit was from?

Well I'm glad he changed it, and realized his subject matter is not really at the level of 12 year old kids then.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:51:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Dude was sooo close to ending that. Had it been just the one guy, Joseph Wilcox would have easily put him down. I don't fault him, the second gunman wasn't that obvious. If I'm ever in a situation like that, I pray I'll have the balls to go chase after the shooter too.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:53:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Hero.

ETA: I couldn't live with myself knowing I had the skill, experience and tools to stop a potential mass shooting because I was more interested in saving my own skin. Evil prevails when good men do nothing.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:56:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well stated. There are people among us here who have run to gunfire and will again, but the majority of us have never been in that situation and cannot say for sure what we would do. Spot on too on your comment about skill set. I have much respect for those that have it and use it to protect the rest of us.
View Quote

That is why you decide what you will do before it happens.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:59:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Man is still a Hero IMO.  Anyone willing to risk their life to save others is.  There never was a guarantee of success.

RIP
View Quote

/thread
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 12:02:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hero.

ETA: I couldn't live with myself knowing I had the skill, experience and tools to stop a potential mass shooting because I was more interested in saving my own skin. Evil prevails when good men do nothing.
View Quote

My thing is "kids."

If it were just a matter of other adults, I "might" be inclined to head for the door and let everyone fend for themselves (I'm not 100% sure about that, and hope I never have to find out).

But if there are kids in danger, fuck it, I'm not turning tail and leaving them in harm's way.  I've had a good life, and everyone's gotta die someday.

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 12:24:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'd imagine it's very easy to get tunnel visioned in on the obvious "look at me" threat and subconsciously eliminate the normal looking woman from the situation.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 12:29:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Look at how many people were entering the store with the shooters and did not notice or react to them brandishing their weapons.

Kharn
View Quote

Sheep
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 3:20:43 PM EDT
[#24]
But our president just gave Medals of Freedom, our highest civilian honor, to a bunch of actors and musicians.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 8:57:50 PM EDT
[#25]
It's all about the situational awareness. 
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 9:56:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

My thing is "kids."

If it were just a matter of other adults, I "might" be inclined to head for the door and let everyone fend for themselves (I'm not 100% sure about that, and hope I never have to find out).

But if there are kids in danger, fuck it, I'm not turning tail and leaving them in harm's way.  I've had a good life, and everyone's gotta die someday.

View Quote

might as well go out trying to do a good thing - than to live with the pain and guilt of knowing you could have done something.

Not saying I would charge in - just trying to add perspective. I've got youngin and a wife....
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:10:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have respect for him.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:13:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

RIP
View Quote

"It was a good death"
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:19:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
http://www.reviewjournal.com/sites/default/files/field/media/web1_FB_Millers_wedding_0609_46.jpg

Really wish there was a hell so these two could get pineapples shoved up their asses for the rest of time.
View Quote

Can anyone explain to me why they went crazy and went to kill folks?
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:25:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:27:04 PM EDT
[#31]
CCW Holder Escalates Argument To Deadly Force

Legally Armed Firearms Trainer Shoots Man Who Corners Him
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:28:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This.  Did he have any occupational or military training before?  I can't fault him, he did what he thought at that time was the right thing to do and probably saved someone an daybed altered their plan enough to save a lot of people.

What's up with them getting their ammo from the sporting goods, they didn't bring any more?
View Quote

Video might also show that you must never underestimate these kinds of people.  Yes, they may seem borderline mentally unstable and probably are, and they may look wacky or silly and it's easy to blow them off as nutjobs.  But if you really look at how they went about these murders-- they executed it very well and had the presence of mind to have the female stay far behind the male perp to watch for anyone such as that CCW civilian who might throw a monkey wrench into their plan.  They can be extremely sneaky and smart in their tactics.   Don't let their ramblings and disheveled appearance fool you.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:38:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Have said it many times CCW does not mean you're LE
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:43:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Can anyone explain to me why they went crazy and went to kill folks?
View Quote

They seemed almost like Sovereign Citizens to me.   My feeling is they had already scoped out that fast food place in the past and had seen police eating there.  They had also maybe scoped out the Walmart.    Very, very well thought out plan.  They didn't go at it alone but went in as a pair.  Both were armed and knew how to use their guns.

They also were mobile and made sure to keep moving which kept arriving LEO's off balance.  Multiple crime scenes and uncertainty about the exact location of the shooters.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:47:12 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm the type of person that tends to jump into the fire without totally thinking it through first.  I think back to the few actual moments I've had where immediate action was needed, I just sort of reacted - again, without a whole lot of thinking going on beforehand.  It always seemed to work out.  I hope I'm never in that situation, but if I am, I hope God sends some luck my way.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:48:37 PM EDT
[#36]
I disagree with the man talking in the video.

Yes, this guy made a mistake.  But he did the right thing in trying to help, at least to me.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:51:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Fuck this site can't see shit

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:16:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I disagree with the man talking in the video.

Yes, this guy made a mistake.  But he did the right thing in trying to help, at least to me.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"
View Quote

Video was really not helpful at all.  If anything, the CCW man's death put other would be active shooters on notice that there are brave Americans out there who are willing to engage you if decide to do something stupid.  Not all good guys wear a uniform.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 2:01:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My ass would be fleeing… If the threat is in my way of my exit, then I would engage. The police can deal with him otherwise.
View Quote

+1

The only exception is if I still had family in the store.

Imagine the dilemma for an off-duty cop, out of uniform, who sees all 3 shooters at the same time.  Who does he think are the bad guys/gals?. ETA:  Who does he engage first??
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top