Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 349
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:05:47 PM EDT
[#1]
My wife is out of town this week, so I'm fending for myself. Tonight's keto-friendly dinner:

Breakdown:

2 medium zucchini (4g net carbs)
1 cup Rao's Homemade Arrabbiata  (6g net carbs)
3 links of Wegman's pork andouille (2g net carbs)

Total of 12g net carbs, and there's easily enough there for two people. Throw some grated parmigiano-reggiano on there and go to town on it. Even my three-year-old approves.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:08:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By davisac:
Maybe a glass of this a day? Fairlife Milk. Not perfect but it's better.

https://i.imgur.com/j2mCjl2.png
View Quote
That's a lot better than the local stuff I buy, Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:29:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Obo2:

I would have to dig in to it but i am assuming there are a few flaws there with things they accept as settled science. Like if they base their risk of cvd on cholesterol numbers.

There are a few studies out there that blow giant holes in the diet heart hypothesis. Saturated fats aren't bad for you. A good dose of polyunsaturated fats is good for you especially omega 3. Just the increased intake of omega 3 can make a big difference for heart health and may not be related to the reduction of saturated fat.
View Quote
Yeah I think they may have some bias but they at least aren't claiming that replacing sat. fat with carbs is good anymore. I try to keep the omega 3 up not only with a supplement but trying to stick to pasture raised dairy etc. (still haven't found much of a taste for grass fed beef though). My wife brought up this coconut oil-gate thing she saw on the news that is on going so I thought I should look back into it. Leaving that out of my coffee wouldn't be the end of the world and I really prefer it without. Eh, it has been long enough (6 mo.) and I'm down to target weight so I have an appointment for them to run some bloodwork. Think I'll keep doing the fat coffee as is and see how it goes.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:22:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By SimonPhoto:
My wife is out of town this week, so I'm fending for myself. Tonight's keto-friendly dinner:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-w6XRuKSDKe8/WUxY176ZZnI/AAAAAAAAQ4Y/HtliJiLwR3Mhn2XWF3BcfShcGrlWMAS-gCL0BGAYYCw/h1152/4935905726139332016%253Faccount_id%253D1

Breakdown:

2 medium zucchini (4g net carbs)
1 cup Rao's Homemade Arrabbiata  (6g net carbs)
3 links of Wegman's pork andouille (2g net carbs)

Total of 12g net carbs, and there's easily enough there for two people. Throw some grated parmigiano-reggiano on there and go to town on it. Even my three-year-old approves.
View Quote
What do you use to make your zucchini noodles?

Can you make them as thinner?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:28:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By sywagon:
Yeah I think they may have some bias but they at least aren't claiming that replacing sat. fat with carbs is good anymore. I try to keep the omega 3 up not only with a supplement but trying to stick to pasture raised dairy etc. (still haven't found much of a taste for grass fed beef though). My wife brought up this coconut oil-gate thing she saw on the news that is on going so I thought I should look back into it. Leaving that out of my coffee wouldn't be the end of the world and I really prefer it without. Eh, it has been long enough (6 mo.) and I'm down to target weight so I have an appointment for them to run some bloodwork. Think I'll keep doing the fat coffee as is and see how it goes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I would have to dig in to it but i am assuming there are a few flaws there with things they accept as settled science. Like if they base their risk of cvd on cholesterol numbers.

There are a few studies out there that blow giant holes in the diet heart hypothesis. Saturated fats aren't bad for you. A good dose of polyunsaturated fats is good for you especially omega 3. Just the increased intake of omega 3 can make a big difference for heart health and may not be related to the reduction of saturated fat.
This popped up on my feed today.  I think it's somewhat related to the topic you guys are discussing.

What it comes down to is your cholesterol may go up, and on standard labs your doctor might freak out about the numbers he's seeing.  But not all LDL is the same.  Newer cholesterol test can give you a better picture of your potential health risks.  ...but most labs still use the same old methods.  

The article in question is still looking at the old methodology.  The video below discusses some potential problems with standard cholesterol testing.  

(live) Coconut Oil & Endotoxin: The Missing Link to the AHA Controversy
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:08:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SimonPhoto] [#6]
Originally Posted By Qweevox:

View Quote
I use a Kitchenaid spiralizer attachment for my blender. The ones you see in that photo are the thinnest plate it came with.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:20:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By bigbryce31186:
Wow, thanks for the replies y'all! Sounds like I may be putting a little too much emphasis on the veggies. I also found a protein shake that had veggies mixed in Link. I didn't think the carbs were too bad, and if I were to have 2 in a day that would basically be my carb intake for the day. I could substitute milk for coconut water to keep the carbs lower. Right now I don't have the energy to wake up and cook breakfast, so this would be my breakfast, then one after the gym. Hopefully I can get to the point where I can wake up early enough to cook a breakfast and eliminate one of the shakes.

ETA: Damn it, looks like Coconut water has carbs in it. Fuck.
View Quote
This past Sunday I made a big batch of deviled eggs.  I added crumbled bacon, sour cream, avocado, and cayenne to the yokes.  Store em in the fridge and eat three every morning this week with a mug of coffee.  Can't get much easier than that.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:35:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By wingmanchris:

This past Sunday I made a big batch of deviled eggs.  I added crumbled bacon, sour cream, avocado, and cayenne to the yokes.  Store em in the fridge and eat three every morning this week with a mug of coffee.  Can't get much easier than that.
View Quote

I'm seriously the world's most picky eater. Eggs have to be scrambled. About the only way I'll eat them. This is a big reason I haven't tried other diets. The food, to me, tastes like shit.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:37:11 PM EDT
[#9]

I'm seriously the world's most picky eater. Eggs have to be scrambled. About the only way I'll eat them. This is a big reason I haven't tried other diets. The food, to me, tastes like shit.
View Quote
What's your BMI?

How's your current way of eating working for you?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:01:18 AM EDT
[#10]

What's your BMI?

View Quote
I'm not sure what my BMI is.

For the most part my diet is shit. Protein shake in the morning, Sandwich and chips for lunch various crap for dinner. Mostly bar food, I don't have time between the day job and job at the bar to eat, so I just eat at the bar. Every once in a while, I'll have a protein shake before the bar, but then I'm hungry 1/2 way through the shift. If I have a Cliff bar or protein bar, I'll eat that, but generally resort to bar food. The weekends I'll have a shake when I wake up, then go to various local places to eat. Plenty of Red bull, milk,water and coffee. I don't drink pop too often.

Snacks are usually Clif or Kind bars, chips (my Achilles)
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:31:58 AM EDT
[#11]

For the most part my diet is shit. Protein shake in the morning, Sandwich and chips for lunch various crap for dinner. Mostly bar food, I don't have time between the day job and job at the bar to eat, so I just eat at the bar. Every once in a while, I'll have a protein shake before the bar, but then I'm hungry 1/2 way through the shift. If I have a Cliff bar or protein bar, I'll eat that, but generally resort to bar food. The weekends I'll have a shake when I wake up, then go to various local places to eat. Plenty of Red bull, milk,water and coffee. I don't drink pop too often.

View All Quotes

What's your BMI?

You are me. Right down to the egg thing. Keto has worked for me. I'll actually eat a few veggies now.

It helps to load the right ones up with butter and oil and cheese
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:52:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By sneadhearn:

You are me. Right down to the egg thing. Keto has worked for me. I'll actually eat a few veggies now.

It helps to load the right ones up with butter and oil and cheese
View Quote
I plan on trying a few different ones. I've already found some meal plans/recipes that actually sound appealing. One thing I will need to remember is everything in moderation. Not eating until I'm stuffed, just satisfied. I think the app deal mentioned earlier will help a lot with that.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:08:33 AM EDT
[#13]

This popped up on my feed today.  I think it's somewhat related to the topic you guys are discussing.

What it comes down to is your cholesterol may go up, and on standard labs your doctor might freak out about the numbers he's seeing.  But not all LDL is the same.  Newer cholesterol test can give you a better picture of your potential health risks.  ...but most labs still use the same old methods.  

The article in question is still looking at the old methodology.  The video below discusses some potential problems with standard cholesterol testing.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnL83BmnjOg
View Quote
Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:22:41 AM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes

Do you like bacon? You can eat bacon three times a day.

The real question is, are you truely willing to get yourself on tracks and get healthy, whatever it takes?

If you have a hard time with certain foods, you can usually find something that works within your comfort zone then just stick to that.

For instance: Bacon and eggs for breakfast, turkey lunch meat, eggs and pickles for lunch, chicken and a salad or some asparagus for dinner. Repeat daily.

Now at some point, you should add greens, but you get the idea. You can make it work IF you want to.

Changing your life in a positive way is not always comfortable and you'll eventually have to step out of your comfort zone.

There comes a point where you need the make some changes weather pleasant or not. If you aren't willing then you might as well not waist your time.

Not trying to sound harsh, just a little of my thoughts on how you can do this,
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:28:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Got called out on YouTube for adding "too much fat" while cooking my omelette.

How to Make an Omelette || How I lost 47 Lb's in 96 Days

Funny thing is, I didn't get all my fat in that day...

Only 100g fat 87g protein and 37g carb. 14 fiber.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:38:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By dupemaster:

The real question is, are you truely willing to get yourself on tracks and get healthy, whatever it takes?

If you have a hard time with certain foods, you can usually find something that works within your comfort zone then just stick to that.

For instance: Bacon and eggs for breakfast, turkey lunch meat, eggs and pickles for lunch, chicken and a salad or some asparagus for dinner. Repeat daily.

Now at some point, you should add greens, but you get the idea. You can make it work IF you want to.

Changing your life in a positive way is not always comfortable and you'll eventually have to step out of your comfort zone.

There comes a point where you need the make some changes weather pleasant or not. If you aren't willing then you might as well not waist your time.

View Quote
If you don't like bacon you're a terrorist.......... Or at least I've been told that

I am very committed to changing my eating habits, losing weight and getting into shape. I'm tired of being tired all the time. I'm tired of my knee hurting all the time (losing weight helps me with that) I'm tired of never having energy to do anything, or showing up late to shit. I have an Elk hunt I need to get in shape for as well as some other hiking plans. I know this won't be easy, but I put myself in this position in the first place. I used to be in really good shape. Played soccer for a very long time. Athletically gifted. I've had a rough few years and a beer belly to prove it. It's time I start making changes, quit making excuses and do something with my life other than just sit on my ass and watch TV and shoot every now and then!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:46:28 AM EDT
[#17]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E410LN834E4

View Quote
AH, the bacon for a month thread. Didn't realize that was you.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:01:32 AM EDT
[#18]

View Quote
Bar food can be tweaked to work.  They have burgers or grilled chicken sandwiches?  Have one of them minus the bun and fries.  Load that bitch up with bacon and cheddar and eat with knife and fork.  How about wings?  No breading traditional wings with a standard hot wing sauce are gtg.  No sweet sauces.
Once you get in true ketosis it won't be hard to miss a meal here and there.  You lose the hunger pangs.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:05:51 AM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes
Have we talked about this yet?

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/early/2017/06/15/CIR.0000000000000510

AHA Presidential Advisory
Dietary Fats and Cardiovascular Disease: A Presidential Advisory From the American Heart Association
Frank M. Sacks, Alice H. Lichtenstein, Jason H.Y. Wu, Lawrence J. Appel, Mark A. Creager, Penny M. Kris-Etherton, Michael Miller, Eric B. Rimm, Lawrence L. Rudel, Jennifer G. Robinson, Neil J. Stone, Linda V. Van Horn, On behalf of the American Heart Association
Download PDF
https://doi.org/10.1161/CIR.0000000000000510
Circulation. 2017;CIR.0000000000000510
Originally published June 15, 2017

Article
   Info & Metrics

Abstract

Cardiovascular disease (CVD) is the leading global cause of death, accounting for 17.3 million deaths per year. Preventive treatment that reduces CVD by even a small percentage can substantially reduce, nationally and globally, the number of people who develop CVD and the costs of caring for them. This American Heart Association presidential advisory on dietary fats and CVD reviews and discusses the scientific evidence, including the most recent studies, on the effects of dietary saturated fat intake and its replacement by other types of fats and carbohydrates on CVD. In summary, randomized controlled trials that lowered intake of dietary saturated fat and replaced it with polyunsaturated vegetable oil reduced CVD by ˜30%, similar to the reduction achieved by statin treatment. Prospective observational studies in many populations showed that lower intake of saturated fat coupled with higher intake of polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fat is associated with lower rates of CVD and of other major causes of death and all-cause mortality. In contrast, replacement of saturated fat with mostly refined carbohydrates and sugars is not associated with lower rates of CVD and did not reduce CVD in clinical trials. Replacement of saturated with unsaturated fats lowers low-density lipoprotein cholesterol, a cause of atherosclerosis, linking biological evidence with incidence of CVD in populations and in clinical trials. Taking into consideration the totality of the scientific evidence, satisfying rigorous criteria for causality, we conclude strongly that lowering intake of saturated fat and replacing it with unsaturated fats, especially polyunsaturated fats, will lower the incidence of CVD. This recommended shift from saturated to unsaturated fats should occur simultaneously in an overall healthful dietary pattern such as DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) or the Mediterranean diet as emphasized by the 2013 American Heart Association/American College of Cardiology lifestyle guidelines and the 2015 to 2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans.

It was my understanding that polyunsaturated fats caused an inflammatory response and should be avoided.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:26:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the info!
View All Quotes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnL83BmnjOg
Thanks for the info!
You're welcome.   Coincidently that video came up yesterday.

All this is controversial.  Nothing is settled.  I've been researching this stuff for years.  I've read through thousands of research papers, and articles.   For every single position I can find legitimate research that supports it, and legitimate research that refutes it.  

That's why I always say, you're an experiment with one meaningful subject, you.  

Get the most comprehensive blood work done on a consistent basis.   Check your vitals (blood pressure, pulse rate) on a consistent basis.  Pay attention to how you feel, and take note of changes in your mind and body.   Move with purpose (exercise) daily, and do things that make you happy.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:25:22 AM EDT
[#21]
I came across some interesting videos, that give a clear and simple explanation of some of the concepts behind why, and what we're doing in this thread.  There's nothing really new for most of us but, I thought it might be useful for some of the folks new to LCHF.

These two videos explain some concepts about calories, and why we get hungry and fat.  

Why we get Fat AND Hungry | (Biology of Weight Gain & Low-Carb )

These two videos address sugar

WHY Sugar is as Bad as Alcohol (Fructose, The Liver Toxin)

Food Industry's Secret Weapon (WHY Sugar is addictive & in 80% of Food)

This young man has created a series of videos with a lot of good information, you might check out his channel if you want to learn more.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqYPhGiB9tkShZorfgcL2lA/videos?spfreload=1
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:51:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sordidmesh] [#22]
Did anyone else see this article?
Http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4629660/Low-carb-diet-similar-effect-brain-ecstasy.html

I understand how they are saying BHB and GHB are similar but I have never felt like I have taken ecstasy while in ketosis.  I have only felt better physically and mentally during this diet and not drugged.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:59:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#23]
Yes...

Drudge is linking to the Daily Mail article this morning...

Seems like a somewhat technical article...

Headline quote...

That's why they can't stop talking about their diet! Eating only low-carb foods can have similar effect on brain as ECSTASY

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4629660/Low-carb-diet-similar-effect-brain-ecstasy.html#ixzz4kqGm8zMl
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

That's why they can't stop talking about their diet! Eating only low-carb foods can have similar effect on brain as ECSTASY
Low-carb diets can mimic the effects of GHB - also known as liquid ecstasy
This diet flips your metabolism from burning more fat than carbs, called ketosis
Low-carb diets typically include swearing off breads, grains and rice
Long-term side effects of this diet include loss of calcium from bones, increased risk of kidney stones and growth retardation
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:15:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#24]
I drink a protein 'shake' with L-arginine [nitric oxide stimulating agent- supposedly] mixed in it...

Anyone have an opinion on the benefit of this -or lack of?

My HRT doctor recommended I take the supplement about 3 years ago and I've done it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:24:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#25]
There's a 'side article' in the same article quoted above about pasta...

Quote-

EVEN ITALIANS ARE DITCHING PASTA FOR LOW-CARB DIETS

Even the Italians are giving up on pasta, mirroring a pattern seen in Britain, with the rise of 'carbophobia'.

One in four Italians – 23 percent - say they are limiting the amount of spaghetti they eat for health reasons.

This matches the UK where carbohydrate consumption has been demonised because of an association with obesity.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4629660/Low-carb-diet-similar-effect-brain-ecstasy.html#ixzz4kqLdrkI7
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:24:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Qweevox] [#26]
Originally Posted By sordidmesh:
Did anyone else see this article?
Http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4629660/Low-carb-diet-similar-effect-brain-ecstasy.html

I understand how they are saying BHB and GHB are similar but I have never felt like I have taken ecstasy while in ketosis.  I have only felt better physically and mentally during this diet and not drugged.
View Quote
I haven't seen that article.  Thanks.

One thing that always bothers me, is the fact that people say fat metabolism (ketosis) is starving, but sugar metabolism (glycolysis) isn't.  This article stated that same old tired chestnut.  "low carb tricks the body into thinking it's starving"

First off, the body doesn't "think" anything.  It responds hormonally to the food you eat, or don't eat.  Ketosis is a normal metabolic process, that modern man doesn't use very much.

Second, ketosis isn't starvation.  Starvation is a very specific process that even for lean people wouldn't occur until going without food for 30-60 days.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:31:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Subnet] [#27]
I noticed no fruits are mentioned. I'm guessing natural sugars are a no no as well?

ETA: Someone mentioned an app earlier. What apps do yall use to track this stuff?
View Quote
MyFitnessPal is everybody's favorite. I don't use it personally (I find tracking macronutrients when cooking everything from scratch to be more tedium than I can handle), but it's pretty much the go-to. 

For me, fruit is more of a garnish or an accent. I'll use a little bit in my cooking when I want to sweeten something up, but you're not going to see me eating a fruit salad, snacking on apples, bananas, etc. For what it's worth, I don't snack at all. 

You'll find that you completely lose your sweet tooth after a while. Something like a few half-moon slices of an apple in a Thai dish will taste like candy to you. I've been at this April, and I "cheated" a grand total of one time last week - a coworker bought me a small cup of ice cream from Cold Stone Creamery. And when I say small cup, I mean it literally measured about one cup. 30 minutes later, I was uncontrollably shaking from the sugar high about 30 minutes later. It felt like I had taken a drug. I couldn't believe how sweet it was. I didn't even want to finish it after about the first half, but my poor upbringing is such that I can't stand to throw food away, even if it's no good for ya. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:52:22 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote
That looks good, have to try it. I assume I need a nonstick pan?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:59:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Bar food can be tweaked to work.  They have burgers or grilled chicken sandwiches?  Have one of them minus the bun and fries.  Load that bitch up with bacon and cheddar and eat with knife and fork.  How about wings?  No breading traditional wings with a standard hot wing sauce are gtg.  No sweet sauces.
Once you get in true ketosis it won't be hard to miss a meal here and there.  You lose the hunger pangs.
View All Quotes

This is excellent advice. It works.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:36:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Interesting health tidbit, have been doing the low carb thing for about 90 days so far. Had my annual eye exam yesterday, Doc. commented that my interocular pressure (glaucoma test) was the lowest  it's ever been. It has trended high over the past 10 years. Of course my BP is down so it may be interrelated. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:01:45 PM EDT
[#31]
If you don't like bacon you're a terrorist.......... Or at least I've been told that

I am very committed to changing my eating habits, losing weight and getting into shape. I'm tired of being tired all the time. I'm tired of my knee hurting all the time (losing weight helps me with that) I'm tired of never having energy to do anything, or showing up late to shit. I have an Elk hunt I need to get in shape for as well as some other hiking plans. I know this won't be easy, but I put myself in this position in the first place. I used to be in really good shape. Played soccer for a very long time. Athletically gifted. I've had a rough few years and a beer belly to prove it. It's time I start making changes, quit making excuses and do something with my life other than just sit on my ass and watch TV and shoot every now and then!
View All Quotes

Good! You can do it. Like mentioned above, bar food is really adaptable to keto. If you like cheeseburgers, this is the diet for you!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:02:12 PM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes

That's me.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:11:32 PM EDT
[#33]
View All Quotes

I use a black steel pan, but yes, anything non stick will work. I also use cast iron, but it's harder to flip.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:12:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Guys.

This is YYYUUUUGGE !

50LBs in 100 days!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:34:30 PM EDT
[#35]
I've eaten burgers with no bun before as well as the chicken we have with a side of cottage cheese. Eating at the bar is probably the easiest part of this new adventure for me so far.

That being said I actually want to quit eating at the bar. Eating at the same place 4 or 5 times a week for over 6 years, gets really old. It's also been a toss up if it'll make me sick or not. I would like to prep an extra meal to either eat at the day job before I leave, or to eat at the bar when I get there.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:59:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FreeFloater] [#36]
I use a Kitchenaid spiralizer attachment for my blender. The ones you see in that photo are the thinnest plate it came with.
View All Quotes

There is a thinner blade that comes with the deluxe kit (7 blade vs 5) or it comes as a 2 blade add-on.  I've found that thicker zucchini turns into noodles better than thinner. The more slender zucchini only contacts a few blades, but thicker zucchini will make better use of the many blades.  You want the core to noodle ratio to be small.

Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:20:59 PM EDT
[#37]
I've eaten burgers with no bun before as well as the chicken we have with a side of cottage cheese. Eating at the bar is probably the easiest part of this new adventure for me so far.

That being said I actually want to quit eating at the bar. Eating at the same place 4 or 5 times a week for over 6 years, gets really old. It's also been a toss up if it'll make me sick or not. I would like to prep an extra meal to either eat at the day job before I leave, or to eat at the bar when I get there.
View Quote
Do you like salads at all?

one of my go to easy to bring anywhere lunches or any meal for that matter is a salad.  I do all the prep Sunday and it takes about 30sec to assemble it in the morning before going to work. I cut up romaine, fresh spinach, cucumber, peppers and one Roma tomato and put it all in a big ziplock bag in the fridge.  I grill up a bunch of boneless skinless chicken breasts or steak(whatever is on clearance at Kroger) then chop them up and put them in a ziplock in the fridge.  In the morning I'll take a handfull of salad(roughly 1 1/2 cup) and put it in a medium Tupperware.  Top it with chicken or steak pieces, bacon bits, shredded cheese, and ranch or blue cheese dressing.  When it's time to eat, I shake the shit out of the Tupperware so everything is mixed up and full of dressing and dig in.
Hell of you don't like salads, just put everything else on the chicken breast or steak and eat it like that.

Another easy meal that can be prepped ahead of time and assembled daily is chicken salad in romaine leaves.  I use the leaves like taco shells and mix all kinds of tasty ness in the chicken salad.  Bacon, jalapeños, you name it.

Hope my suggestions help.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:42:08 PM EDT
[#38]

one of my go to easy to bring anywhere lunches or any meal for that matter is a salad.  I do all the prep Sunday and it takes about 30sec to assemble it in the morning before going to work. I cut up romaine, fresh spinach, cucumber, peppers and one Roma tomato and put it all in a big ziplock bag in the fridge.  I grill up a bunch of boneless skinless chicken breasts or steak(whatever is on clearance at Kroger) then chop them up and put them in a ziplock in the fridge.  In the morning I'll take a handfull of salad(roughly 1 1/2 cup) and put it in a medium Tupperware.  Top it with chicken or steak pieces, bacon bits, shredded cheese, and ranch or blue cheese dressing.  When it's time to eat, I shake the shit out of the Tupperware so everything is mixed up and full of dressing and dig in.
Hell of you don't like salads, just put everything else on the chicken breast or steak and eat it like that.

Another easy meal that can be prepped ahead of time and assembled daily is chicken salad in romaine leaves.  I use the leaves like taco shells and mix all kinds of tasty ness in the chicken salad.  Bacon, jalapeños, you name it.

View Quote
You can do the same thing, and put it on a low carb tortilla used as a wrap.  Or you can use lunch meat, cheese and salad greens.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:42:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Mach:

It was my understanding that polyunsaturated fats caused an inflammatory response and should be avoided.
View Quote
too much omega 6 not enough omega 3 will do that
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:46:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Guys.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/24268/IMG-9751-237210.jpg

This is YYYUUUUGGE !

50LBs in 100 days!
View Quote
Buddy, good job! Keep it up! 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:53:18 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote
Salads are ok. I plan on eating those. I also saw a couple lettuce wrap ideas I liked. Taco meat for one. Also using cheese as a wrap and making tacos and pizza.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:57:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Subnet:
MyFitnessPal is everybody's favorite. I don't use it personally (I find tracking macronutrients when cooking everything from scratch to be more tedium than I can handle), but it's pretty much the go-to. 

For me, fruit is more of a garnish or an accent. I'll use a little bit in my cooking when I want to sweeten something up, but you're not going to see me eating a fruit salad, snacking on apples, bananas, etc. For what it's worth, I don't snack at all. 

You'll find that you completely lose your sweet tooth after a while. Something like a few half-moon slices of an apple in a Thai dish will taste like candy to you. I've been at this April, and I "cheated" a grand total of one time last week - a coworker bought me a small cup of ice cream from Cold Stone Creamery. And when I say small cup, I mean it literally measured about one cup. 30 minutes later, I was uncontrollably shaking from the sugar high about 30 minutes later. It felt like I had taken a drug. I couldn't believe how sweet it was. I didn't even want to finish it after about the first half, but my poor upbringing is such that I can't stand to throw food away, even if it's no good for ya. 
View Quote
We grew up poor as well. Have a couple meals a week, and nothing new until the leftovers are gone. I tried cooking everything in one day, and by the end of the week I was so tired of eating essentially left overs I quit. This time I plan on making meals for a couple days. Then the nights off of the bar cooking for the next couple days. I think this will be a lot easier.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:07:15 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote
Learn how to cook (make it your hobby and something you're very proud of), and definitely learn to expand your palette. Be adventerous. I cook for a family of 4 every weeknight (from scratch), and I average 45 minutes from pulling the ingredients out, to putting the plates on the table. This does require planning (admittedly), but it's not much. The more you cook and the more you expand your horizons, the easier and faster it gets. 

Everybody - and I don't care how busy you are - has 45 minutes to an hour to devote to something as central to human existence as preparing food. 

Wednesday night dinner (just an example): Roasted chicken breast and cauliflower, with a green romesco, a little scallion, parsley and green olives. Less than an hour, 100% from scratch.

I will admit to not raising the chicken or growing the vegetables. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:08:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zirak] [#44]

View Quote
One of the things I've found that makes food prep a lot easier, especially when you're busy, is to do food prep on the weekends.

For the longest time, I was making a couple of these per week (one for each meal or so). They're designed specifically so that you can make a giant pan of them all at once, and then eat them for a week. Most of them are keto-ish macros by design (65/30/5 or whatever), so you don't need to mix and match with something else to get all your macros covered. Need more or less per meal? Serve larger/smaller portions.
5 Day Recipes

You said you need eggs to be scrambled? What about an egg casserole? This was one of my staples forever: Chorizo Breakfast Casserole. It's semi-scrambled eggs, with tasty meats and spices, with veggies mixed in. Easy to portion and microwave in the mornings. That was my breakfast, and then I'd have their Mexican Spinach Casserole for lunch, and then I'd wing dinner. I did that for literally *months*.

ETA: And now I see your note about getting sick of leftovers. Maybe not, then.

Crock pot meals are another huge timesaver. Throw a bunch of ingredients in a pot in the morning, come home to a hot dinner at night.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:13:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fulcrum-5] [#45]
Down 11 lbs since 6/05/2017 (started Keto a couple of days prior to initial weigh-in, so I may have lost a pound or two more).  Bacon saves!

Admittedly, I fell off the wagon for one weekend (first Friday and Saturday after starting), but got back on said wagon on that Sunday.  The continued decline on the scales every other day (I weigh M/W/F) is a great push to keep going.

Biggest agony is all those cherry cokes I can't drink.  I was way addicted.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:14:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By EXPY37:
Yes...

Drudge is linking to the Daily Mail article this morning...

Seems like a somewhat technical article...

Headline quote...

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4629660/Low-carb-diet-similar-effect-brain-ecstasy.html#ixzz4kqGm8zMl

Low-carb diets can mimic the effects of GHB - also known as liquid ecstasy
This diet flips your metabolism from burning more fat than carbs, called ketosis
Low-carb diets typically include swearing off breads, grains and rice
Long-term side effects of this diet include loss of calcium from bones, increased risk of kidney stones and growth retardation
View Quote
Ha! Big Food must be getting desperate!

I feel great the past couple weeks since I started keto.

TC
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:24:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Subnet:

View Quote
Subnet--I just realized this recently (few days). I had a square of 85% coca dark chocolate which used to taste bitter. Today, it seemed like I was eating a Hershey's Kiss. I haven't craved sweets and agree with your statement further down. If I ate cake or a Sbux doughnut (which I used to F'ing LOVE!) I believe I would go into a diabetic coma.

Someone mentioned a glass of OJ during their weekend of nutritional debauchery. I actually recoiled a bit. I can't imagine...

Really amazing stuff watching the changes in my body/life.

TC

P.S.--I'm seeing large weight loss in some here but it's coming from really heavy guys. At 5'11", 205, trying to get to 180-175, I'm assuming this will be a much longer process to whittle it down. I've dropped a few lbs but don't obsess about the loss. I look better already.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:35:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Zirak:

One of the things I've found that makes food prep a lot easier, especially when you're busy, is to do food prep on the weekends.

For the longest time, I was making a couple of these per week (one for each meal or so). They're designed specifically so that you can make a giant pan of them all at once, and then eat them for a week. Most of them are keto-ish macros by design (65/30/5 or whatever), so you don't need to mix and match with something else to get all your macros covered. Need more or less per meal? Serve larger/smaller portions.
5 Day Recipes

You said you need eggs to be scrambled? What about an egg casserole? This was one of my staples forever: Chorizo Breakfast Casserole. It's semi-scrambled eggs, with tasty meats and spices, with veggies mixed in. Easy to portion and microwave in the mornings. That was my breakfast, and then I'd have their Mexican Spinach Casserole for lunch, and then I'd wing dinner. I did that for literally *months*.

ETA: And now I see your note about getting sick of leftovers. Maybe not, then.

Crock pot meals are another huge timesaver. Throw a bunch of ingredients in a pot in the morning, come home to a hot dinner at night.
View Quote
My issue was I would cook on Sunday for the entire week and by Thursday I had eaten so many left overs, I was just sick if it. Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday I have off at the bar. So those days I could prep meals for the next couple days. That way them seem more fresh to me. I think this will be a lot easier for me!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:41:24 PM EDT
[#49]

Salads are ok. I plan on eating those. I also saw a couple lettuce wrap ideas I liked. Taco meat for one. Also using cheese as a wrap and making tacos and pizza.
View Quote
i fucking hate salads. they are such a pain in the ass to eat. Some greens on the side of my steak is a different matter i'm fine with that I tend to use them as edible napkins.

but a salad with a bunch of stuff in it all cut up is such a bitch to eat you have to stab the fuck out of it and or try to pile it all on your fork and it falls off etc.

wrap the same stuff up and i'm good to go.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:45:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By AA717driver:
P.S.--I'm seeing large weight loss in some here but it's coming from really heavy guys. At 5'11", 205, trying to get to 180-175, I'm assuming this will be a much longer process to whittle it down. I've dropped a few lbs but don't obsess about the loss. I look better already.
View Quote
It does take longer if you're not super heavy. I'm 5'10" and a buck-eighty-three this morning. I've been there since June 3rd.  was 202 when I started this in early April. 

My body is VERY jealously holding onto the weight. Over the last 20 days, it's been as low as 182, and it's been as high as 186. It ain't wanting to budge. The first 20lbs were easy. 

Note: While I'm following my own diet very strictly, it's not hard core Keto (it's probably closer to Paleo if you really wanted to analyze the shit out of it - but even then, not really). It's not uncommon for me to eat 70-100g of carbs in a day, all of it from vegetables. Most days, I only eat dinner. I'll eat lunch maybe twice a week, if/when I'm hungry. I don't snack during the day at all. I haven't ate breakfast since I started in April (I rarely ever did anyway). 

It just takes patience. It'll drop when it drops. If you know your diet is solid, you just have to wait it out. 
Page / 349
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top