Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 3/13/2016 12:30:52 PM EDT

Sums it up:

http://townhall.com/columnists/johnhawkins/2016/03/12/what-i-will-probably-never-understand-about-the-undying-affection-for-donald-trump-n2132559/page/full

It’s easy for me to understand why people were so favorably disposed toward Trump at first because initially, I liked him, too. I’d read and liked Trump’s books, I found him to be gracious in person and I had friends who went to work for him. I also loved his charisma, his stance on the wall, his refreshing lack of political correctness, his scrappiness and his ability to just shrug off what would be career-ending mistakes for other Republican politicians.

Unfortunately today, Trump looks to be completely unelectable. There are massive numbers of Republicans pledging not to vote for him in the general election; sitting members of congress are saying they won’t support him in the general; Mitch McConnell is openly telling Republican senators they can distance themselves from him. Trump’s been publicly condemned by the last GOP nominee (Romney); his unfavorability numbers are equaling those of Bill “the face of date rape” Cosby (Cosby, July of last year, 62% unfavorability while Trump’s rating is 62% now). He’ll be dramatically outspent in a general election and contrary to what he’s promised, he’s not going to finance his own campaign. He will have to deal with a massive Trump University fraud case during the general election; he’s the most gaffe-prone candidate in history and the mainstream media that has been carrying him on its shoulders will turn on him once he’s the nominee.
View Quote

Yet, there are many smart people who know something about campaigns that think Trump can win the general election. Not a one of them has ever made a rational, logical case for it, but “they have a feeling.” Barring a miracle, the second Trump is the nominee, almost no matter what he does, Hillary wins; we lose the Senate big and bleed House seats; the SCOTUS swings wildly to the left; Obamacare and Obama’s executive orders stay, but this doesn’t bother people because “Trump changes all the rules”….or something.
View Quote

However, I genuinely don’t understand why so many people think a man who is unpredictable, thin-skinned, mean spirted, vindictive and who often blurts out stupid things is the sort of person who is suited to be President of the United States. The same traits that have made Trump a success on reality TV would make him a horrible POTUS. Even if you ignore the fact that Trump is temperamentally unsuited to be President of the United States, he’s also saying creepy, fascistic things that should alarm people.
View Quote

I don’t understand how so many good Christians can support an adulterer who claims to also be a Christian, but also says he’s never had a reason to ask God for forgiveness.

I don’t understand how so many rock-ribbed conservatives can support an obvious flimflam man whose positions seem to change almost day-by-day and will undeniably change even more if he’s nominated.

I don’t understand how so many parents can support a man who’s a horrible example for their children. Yes, Trump’s had a great business career, but his character is at the bottom of the barrel. He’s crude and arrogant and he treats other people like garbage.

I don’t understand how so many people who say they only care about illegal immigration can support a guy who was pushing amnesty three years ago and is in favor of citizenship for illegal aliens now when a stronger candidate on illegal immigration, Ted Cruz, is in the race.

I don’t understand how so many people who care about the Constitution can support a man who’s probably never even read it and wouldn’t care about anything in it if he did.
View Quote

I don’t understand how so many smart people can back a guy who’s too lazy to study anything beyond the basics of any policy issue. Donald Trump doesn’t seem to know any more about the policies of the country he’d be running today than he did the day he got into the race. Trump knows the results of every poll in America that are favorable to him; so why can’t he take the time to learn something about the government policies of the nation he wants to lead?

Most of all, I don’t understand how so many good people can support a hateful, fundamentally dishonest, divisive man who’s turned friends and allies in the conservative movement against each other and who has shown over and over that he doesn’t care about anything but himself.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:40:01 PM EDT
[#1]
You might as well ask a pig why it doesn't accept the theory of relativity.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:40:29 PM EDT
[#2]
tldr
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:42:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Let me sum it up, they are more fearful of the establishment, than they are of Trump.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:42:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know why it's so hard to understand that nobody likes Trump. They hate the system, and the established players.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:43:56 PM EDT
[#5]

"You can't stop what's coming." ~Donald Trump
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:44:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't understand how so many would rather have Hillary Clinton as their president.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:46:54 PM EDT
[#7]
It's really simple actually. People are tired of being lied to and then fucked by career politicians.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:46:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't understand how so many would rather have Hillary Clinton as their president.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's real retarded, sir.

Quoted:
It's really simple actually. People are tired of being lied to and then fucked by career politicians.

So elect a guy that changes position on topics routinely and has been heavily involved in politics through his whole career?
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:47:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

False dichotomy. It's not a binary choice. It's not either/or, and never was. Portraying it that way is intellectually dishonest. You had a field of 18(!) candidates at one point, many of which were anti-establishment. Even now you still have an anti-establishment alternative to Trump.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:48:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

her or the guy that supported her?
what difference does it make?
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:48:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't know why it's so hard to understand that nobody likes Trump. They hate the system, and the established players.
View Quote

This is true...I would vote for Attila the Hun before I would vote for Cruz or Rubio....I just flat despise the dirty rotten commies on both sides that dare tell me who I should vote for...
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:48:55 PM EDT
[#12]
A guy not financed by super pacs , large corporations that write law , and yes they do do that with congress ..

Is a very dangerous man to the Washington establishment .

He's a wild card in the deck

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:50:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's it right there.  People are beyond pissed at the career politicians.   They've elected people who promised to do something, and then got the "Sorry we can't do that right now" answer and the exact opposite of what they were promised.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:50:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A guy not financed by super pacs , large corporations that write law , and yes they do do that with congress ..

View Quote

right, its hard for me to back a "wild card" in such uncertain times.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:51:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, I hate Trump less than the rest of them.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:51:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

False dichotomy. It's not a binary choice. It's not either/or, and never was. Portraying it that way is intellectually dishonest. You had a field of 18(!) candidates at one point, many of which were anti-establishment. Even now you still have an anti-establishment alternative to Trump.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

but couldn't get off the ground...Trump did so start  supporting him
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:52:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That's it right there.  People are beyond pissed at the career politicians.   They've elected people who promised to do something, and then got the "Sorry we can't do that right now" answer and the exact opposite of what they were promised.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

right. but trump helped financially support those career politicians that they hate.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:52:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Idiotic statement, either your are trolling or very special.

How about this..  utter disgust that it is coming down to a choice between two VERY bad options.  Bad in different ways, but nearly equal.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:52:49 PM EDT
[#19]
It really is simple. People like trump because he does not give a single fuck about crybaby, politically correct fucking retard bullshit feelings. We are all fucking fed up and he says what we all feel. Fuck the establishment, fuck mexico and any other country that bleeds us dry. Fuck the rest of the world who thinks they can tell us what to do. Fuck the bullshit gay, transgender, whatever the fuck the flavor of the day bullsbit nonsense whoa is me fucks. Just fuck it all and fuck them all. We are fucking done. Fuck you!!

Thats why...
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:53:07 PM EDT
[#20]
OP - "What I Will Probably Never Understand About The Undying Affection For Donald Trump"

Anything.

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:53:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We backed the sure thing establishment guy enough times and look where we wound up.

Time for a wild card
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:53:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sure.  Who doesn't want to be lied to and fucked by somebody else after 20 years or so of the same ol' - same ol'

It's like a blind Showcase Showdown.  Tell 'em what they've won Don Pardo!
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:54:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I keep saying he's a loose cannon.  If he goes off in the right direction he'll accomplish a lot of things, but I'm not sure he will.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:54:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't mean it like that. I'm saying that even with the Trump supporters out of the argument, the other half of voters are supporting Hillary Clinton. It's a sad statement of affairs no matter how you look at it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:55:19 PM EDT
[#25]
OP needs a hug.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:55:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, a guy who has loans to every bank on Wall Street is so uncontrollable and such a wild card.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:56:07 PM EDT
[#27]
He pushes back.  <<shrug>>
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:56:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
tldr
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:56:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

We backed the sure thing establishment guy enough times and look where we wound up.

Time for a wild card
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Time for a wild card

I agree with this, however I think Cruz is pretty anti-establishment without all the "wild card" effect. He is pretty solid where he stands on things in my opinion.
I just hate the idea of basically flipping a coin on crucial policy and I kind of feel like thats what Trump brings. that make sense?
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:57:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I keep saying he's a loose cannon.  If he goes off in the right direction he'll accomplish a lot of things, but I'm not sure he will.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm willing to take that chance because I know what the other chances are ...more of the same....no thanks
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:58:08 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote

So you're tired of being lied to by conservatives and the best way to respond to that is to support a leftist.

BRILLIANT

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:58:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

exactly. It just depends on who is really in his ear so to speak. I mean if he praised Bill Whittle at a rally or something I would feel slightly more comfortable.
I just never hear him say "lets get back to the constitution..."
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:59:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh, we've survived Obama we can survive a roll of the dice that can't be nearly as bad....Clinton and Sanders, suck....Cruz has turned into a politician, Rubio and Kasich ARE politicians.....Swing for the fences, while waving a yuuuuge middle finger at DC and if it burns atleast it won't #Bern.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:59:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Created solely by the frigid useless GOPe.

If Hillary is elected it will be thanks to them.

I'm not a Trump fan but would rather have a free market Progressive than a Keynesian Progressive if given that choice.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 1:00:26 PM EDT
[#35]
God won't everybody shut up about Trump.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 1:00:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I agree with this, however I think Cruz is pretty anti-establishment without all the "wild card" effect. He is pretty solid where he stands on things in my opinion.
I just hate the idea of basically flipping a coin on crucial policy and I kind of feel like thats what Trump brings. that make sense?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Time for a wild card

Cruz is starting to show his true colors and I don't like them. Also thinking Ted Cruz could ever win the majority of votes in a national election is delusional thinking.

That is never going to happen. He's not likeable  and frankly just a little weird. He would never win
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 1:01:08 PM EDT
[#37]
There are clear differences between Rubio, Cruz, Hillary, and Sander. Add in Romney, Yeb, Ryan, etc.. The problem is, the people realize that despite the differences in candidates, the end result is the same.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 1:01:35 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
This is true...I would vote for Attila the Hun before I would vote for Cruz or Rubio....I just flat despise the dirty rotten commies on both sides that dare tell me who I should vote for...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This. When Black Lives Matter had their stunt Friday night, it moved a lot of active police officers into the Trump camp.  Think of it as giving them the metaphoric hickory shampoo in the ballot box.

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 1:03:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

So, they'd rather be lied to and fucked by a mediocre businessman and reality TV star?  
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 1:03:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

So elect a guy that changes position on topics routinely and has been heavily involved in politics through his whole career?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Its true.  If you like your establishment Republican, you can keep your establishment Republican (and lose in the general).

Trump isn't the perfect answer but he's enough to get crossover votes and defeat a socialist.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 1:04:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If your party doesn't control the Presidency and Congress, there are limits on what you can do.  Probably need SCOTUS too in many cases.  Unless the GOP holds onto the Senate, electing Trump won't change the math.  I don't really get blaming politicians for not doing things that they cannot do.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 1:04:12 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View Quote
Amen.

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 1:04:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

So, they'd rather be lied too and fucked by a mediocre businessman and reality TV star?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, they'd rather be lied too and fucked by a mediocre businessman and reality TV star?  

Guess so, it's working.

Not surprising really, when the same old thing fails to work over and over people tend you try something different you know.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 1:04:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Cruz is starting to show his true colors and I don't like them. Also thinking Ted Cruz could ever win the majority of votes in a national election is delusional thinking.

That is never going to happen. He's not liable and frankly just a little weird. He would never win
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Time for a wild card

That is never going to happen. He's not liable and frankly just a little weird. He would never win

Well thats all up for debate really. Im just going by his record on being pro gun, anti-illegal immigration, pro-constitution etc. I can look at how he defended those things and know what he is likely to do in the future. He isnt dating my daughter or something, he just has to defend the constitution and protect this country, does his record show he can do that? I think so.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 1:04:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yeah, a guy who has loans to every bank on Wall Street is so uncontrollable and such a wild card.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You will get on board the Trump train

maybe not this week but you will
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 1:05:23 PM EDT
[#46]
If Trump wins the nomination and loses the general because Repubs stay home, then they have only themselves to blame for a Clinton or Sanders win ad are solely responsible for the end of the USA as we know it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 1:08:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It really is simple. People like trump because he does not give a single fuck about crybaby, politically correct fucking retard bullshit feelings. We are all fucking fed up and he says what we all feel. Fuck the establishment, fuck mexico and any other country that bleeds us dry. Fuck the rest of the world who thinks they can tell us what to do. Fuck the bullshit gay, transgender, whatever the fuck the flavor of the day bullsbit nonsense whoa is me fucks. Just fuck it all and fuck them all. We are fucking done. Fuck you!!

Thats why...
View Quote

This is, actually, a good explanation.

It also shows how and why support for Trump is, in fact, a problem for the United States.  The driving force behind the description above is emotion.  It is not rational; it is not an attempt to elect someone who would actually garner respect as a statesman.  It is a giant temper tantrum that a reality TV star has tapped into for political support.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 1:08:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If Trump wins the nomination and loses the general because Repubs stay home, then they have only themselves to blame for a Clinton or Sanders win ad are solely responsible for the end of the USA as we know it.
View Quote

ill likely support trump in the general, a wildcard is better than clinton and sanders, however... its hard to convince people to vote for the guy who supported clinton who will bring the downfall of the usa. surely that makes sense... you guys get that right?
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 1:08:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 1:09:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Because righteous anger feels really, really good, even if you aren't quite clear on what you are angry about. Who cares about anything else? This feels good.

Not unlike junkies with heroin. There is a big rush of dopamine.

See GD for the proof of that.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top