Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:53:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow
How fast do you think they are driving to try to keep up?
Its like their feet never touched the ground they were running so fast.

Thumbs up for the coyotes dying. Hate those bastards, especially since they wont come to any of my calls anymore.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:54:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That hairstyles was designed to keep standard poodles warm. They were used as bird dogs.

Standard poodles are also pretty amazing apprehension/guard dogs.

I worked with one like 20 years ago an older couple had and that mother fucker even with painted fingernails and the the full blowout was sharp as a tack and mean as hell on a sleeve.

Here is a youtube video of one doing aggression work
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB5UjoXJuaU

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had no idea greyhounds were so redneck.  

Almost as eye-opening as seeing someone with a standard Poodle, in full froo-froo Poodle hairstyle, turn the dog loose to run down a deer.  I had never thought of a Poodle being that active of a hunting dog, but you'd have thought the dog was a regular deerhound.  And when he was playing you'd think he was a black Lab.

Learned a lot about Poodles that day, just like this video teaches a lot about Greyhounds.

That hairstyles was designed to keep standard poodles warm. They were used as bird dogs.

I worked with one like 20 years ago an older couple had and that mother fucker even with painted fingernails and the the full blowout was sharp as a tack and mean as hell on a sleeve.

Damn. I will never look at Poodles , or Greyhounds, the same.

Fucking Greyhounds fucked those 'yote's up !!!  I didn't think they had it in them.  Proved me wrong as fuck.  Just... DAMN !!!
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:07:30 AM EDT
[#3]
This is awesome. Need to send this guy some go pros to strap around their necks
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:15:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Jesus christ those dog can fly. Do many people use greyhounds for hunting?
View Quote

Catahoulas are more common for coyote hunting, but yes, greyhounds obviously fit the bill nicely. That was so badass to watch those dogs work!

ETA for CSB: I had my dog (an Original Mountain Cur) out with me while playing disc golf at KC's Blue Valley Park. He took off after a coyote and I figured it was game on at that point. They disappear over the crest of a hill, and when I see them next they're fucking playing with each other. My dog would be chasing the yote one minute, then I'd see them again and the yote was chasing the dog. This went back and forth for several minutes before my dog got tired and returned to me without incident. It was freaking cool as hell to watch.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:21:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Commonly called "coursing", It is what those dogs have been bred for. Fun to watch them ply their trade.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:37:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I was down by Duncan when I went hunting with them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jesus christ those dog can fly. Do many people use greyhounds for hunting?

Not uncommon here, here being South-Central Oklahoma.

I was down by Duncan when I went hunting with them.

I'm about a 45 min drive from there- home of Halliburton- evil oil company
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:47:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Those dogs would tear an unarmed man up.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:00:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Typically here, they're "Lurchers", which is a greyhound crossbred with one of the working or hunting dog breeds: http://www.minnesotagreyhoundrescue.org/about-greyhounds/what-is-a-lurcher.html

My ex-racer male GH wouldn't have the stamina to keep up with those guys for very long. When I have taken him along for one of my runs, he'll start turning in front of me after the 1/4 mile mark, because he knows his run is only supposed to be 660 yards long, and there are couches in risk of floating away, if he doesn't hold them down.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lots of guys run dogs for Coyotes.  Not sure what breed, but a pack of dogs vs. a lone yote is a losing game for the yote.   Most guys have 3-4 squads of dogs and will keep rotating them out and eventually they wear out the yote until it gives up running.

Typically here, they're "Lurchers", which is a greyhound crossbred with one of the working or hunting dog breeds: http://www.minnesotagreyhoundrescue.org/about-greyhounds/what-is-a-lurcher.html

My ex-racer male GH wouldn't have the stamina to keep up with those guys for very long. When I have taken him along for one of my runs, he'll start turning in front of me after the 1/4 mile mark, because he knows his run is only supposed to be 660 yards long, and there are couches in risk of floating away, if he doesn't hold them down.

This seems likely. These are not purebred Greyhounds.

There are lots of similar videos on YouTube.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:21:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Proper fucked?
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:32:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Lots of guys run dogs for Coyotes.  Not sure what breed, but a pack of dogs vs. a lone yote is a losing game for the yote.   Most guys have 3-4 squads of dogs and will keep rotating them out and eventually they wear out the yote until it gives up running.
View Quote

My cousin used to hunt coyotes with dogs, not greyhounds or any specific breed just mutts. Yes its brutal, and no I don't give any fucks.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:33:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not sure about this.
View Quote

Nothing like having a few sheep, goats, or calves slaughtered by those spawns of Hell to change a city slicker's tune.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:35:30 PM EDT
[#12]
My big GSP has a ton of "hound" in her.  She is probably as close to an old school continental bred GSP as you can get, she was crazy efficient at killing fur.  As big as a pain in the ass as it was to call her off, in retrospect it was damn impressive how good she was at it.

The first time I ever saw her kill a coyote it was over and done so fast I didn't have time to get my whistle up.  We were working a long water run hunting pheasant and all of a sudden I heard her bay like a hound.  I figured she caught a cattail to the paw and started digging for some gauze.  No sooner did I look up and out comes a coyote.  My dog rolled the coyote, the coyote came around to bite my dog, and my dog caught the coyote by the neck.  One shake and the coyote went limp. This all transpired in two, maybe three seconds.

She killed a few more coyotes, a badger, couple skunks, and a weasel before she went blind and I stopped hunting her.  She never once had a hair harmed on her and I can't remember any kill taking more than a fraction of a second.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:37:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Proper fucked?
View Quote

Yeah Tommy, proper fucked.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:45:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Fucking Greyhounds fucked those 'yote's up !!!  I didn't think they had it in them.  Proved me wrong as fuck.  Just... DAMN !!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Almost as eye-opening as seeing someone with a standard Poodle, in full froo-froo Poodle hairstyle, turn the dog loose to run down a deer.  I had never thought of a Poodle being that active of a hunting dog, but you'd have thought the dog was a regular deerhound.  And when he was playing you'd think he was a black Lab.

Learned a lot about Poodles that day, just like this video teaches a lot about Greyhounds.

You want another dog that acts entirely out of stereotyped character, see what happens when someone seriously threatens the territory/people of a St. Bernard. Everybody sees those dogs as these big, dumb, goofy creatures that are relatively harmless, right up until they have one trying to tear limbs off of them. A couple I know had one that everyone and their brother thought was this big harmless doofus of a dog--Right up until a couple of vibrant urban youth tried breaking into the house while the wife was alone. The dog did a personality inversion, and turned into Cudjo on them, and damn near killed one of them before the other two could drag him out of the house. The dog was still latched on to him, chewing...

Cue the cops showing up the next day, looking for the "dangerous animal". She showed off her pride and joy, big slopply slobbering idiot St. Bernard, the cops went "Awww... Look at how he plays with the toddlers...", and left. Obviously, the "dangerous animal" report was in error.

Urban youth lost his leg, and a hand...  
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 6:20:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

dogpedo's away!!! fire all tubes!!!!

View Quote

I had the same thought. Torpedoes or dog missiles.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:07:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

dogpedo's away!!! fire all tubes!!!!

Yeah, looked like a hellfire rocket pod full of dogs.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:15:37 PM EDT
[#17]
The dogs were all "Stop the truck!, Stop the truck!"
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:04:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:43:11 AM EDT
[#19]
What terrain can they do this on? Corn fields can get really rough. I wonder what kinds of concerns there are about the quality of the terrain when running these kinds of dogs?

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:54:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Dogs, stored in racks, like guided missiles.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:03:52 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

What terrain can they do this on? Corn fields can get really rough. I wonder what kinds of concerns there are about the quality of the terrain when running these kinds of dogs?

View Quote

That is one area where the Lurcher's cross breeding is necessary. Physically, a purebred greyhound's frame is not very robust in comparison. The terrrain is what it is.

I've got two greys that injured themselves so profoundly that they were retired out before reaching their first birthday: The girl dog shattered her left shoulder blade, which has left her with a permanent limp and unable to walk on all four legs for more than a 1/2 mile without assistance.

The youngest boy came to us at 10 months old, with nerve damage from the right front shoulder on down, a badly withered leg, his wrist calcified and locked at a 90 degree angle, which led to him arriving with a deep scraping open (and untreated) wound on the top of his paw. He just turned 2 and had the leg amputated almost a year ago.

These injuries probably happened on the racing kennel's farm tracks. Rougher terrain certainly can lead to that sort of damage, as those sorts of long legs step into divots, gopher holes, etc. and run into fence poles, etc. at 45 mph.

Racing kennels aren't automatically putting down injured dogs anymore. I don't know what the individuals running Lurchers do when facing similar challenges to the dog's health.

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:15:27 AM EDT
[#22]
That was pretty cool.  They were like little missiles taking off.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:18:58 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

Apparently the guys with greyhounds don't need 3-4 squads of dogs.

Looks like just one gets the job done nicely......and with minimal effort.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:19:04 AM EDT
[#24]
That was interesting. Had no idea. Fuck a yote
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:26:58 AM EDT
[#25]
My uncle took me one time when I was a young kidd. I will never forget it. It was a blast. We only got one but it was a great day.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:38:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My big GSP has a ton of "hound" in her.  She is probably as close to an old school continental bred GSP as you can get, she was crazy efficient at killing fur.  As big as a pain in the ass as it was to call her off, in retrospect it was damn impressive how good she was at it.

The first time I ever saw her kill a coyote it was over and done so fast I didn't have time to get my whistle up.  We were working a long water run hunting pheasant and all of a sudden I heard her bay like a hound.  I figured she caught a cattail to the paw and started digging for some gauze.  No sooner did I look up and out comes a coyote.  My dog rolled the coyote, the coyote came around to bite my dog, and my dog caught the coyote by the neck.  One shake and the coyote went limp. This all transpired in two, maybe three seconds.

She killed a few more coyotes, a badger, couple skunks, and a weasel before she went blind and I stopped hunting her.  She never once had a hair harmed on her and I can't remember any kill taking more than a fraction of a second.
http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p346/uplandnut/late%20season_zpsb7jpykdb.jpg
View Quote

Awesome story! It's nice to see an old school GSP like that!
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:40:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Proper fucked?
View Quote

Lol, came here to post this.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:52:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

From what I've heard, those horizon-to-horizon Kansas fields are the best. Cut grain stubble is the fastest.

Even out west, when the fields get smaller with brushy spots nearby or the terrain becomes more rolling, the coyotes stand a chance of getting away.  As long as the dogs can always see the coyote, they should be able to run him down.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:59:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:12:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It's definitely a little more brutal than most modern Americans are accustomed to, but it's an ancient hunting method that is as effective today as ever.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not sure about this.

It's definitely a little more brutal than most modern Americans are accustomed to, but it's an ancient hunting method that is as effective today as ever.

Not much different than falconry. If legal, go for it, looks like fun.

I just want a greyhound for a pet, but the rescues I have looked into are so picky you have to be unemployed or retired to be home enough to get a dog.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:12:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:15:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Wow those things are fast. That was something.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:17:54 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I went on a greyhound Coyote hunt in college.

it was quite possibly one of the most brutal things I have ever witnessed.

those dogs get it on.

watching that video brings back memories.
View Quote

Looking at this and other videos I have seen, it's obvious those dogs absolutely LOVE chasing animals, running them down, and killing them.  

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:23:40 AM EDT
[#34]
They sure are efficient at what they are originally bred for. What are the issues with the neighbors cat or your neighbors poodle next door? How do you turn them on and off?
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:24:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Damn fast dogs. WOW.

Frozen bean stubs will puncture a tire, how are they driving on those stubs without flats?

In the 90's a buddy adopted a couple of greyhounds and they killed all the rabbits on his property. LOL. The greyhounds would follow the beagles. The beagles would flush the rabbits from the bushes and the greyhounds quickly dispatched the rabbits.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:31:19 AM EDT
[#36]
See some Jack Russell videos cleaning out barns, it ain't pretty.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:38:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I just want a greyhound for a pet, but the rescues I have looked into are so picky you have to be unemployed or retired to be home enough to get a dog.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not sure about this.

Don't forget the background checks and home inspections. I'm convinced a lot of rescue operations don't WANT to adopt out dogs.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:40:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Don't forget the background checks and home inspections. I'm convinced a lot of rescue operations don't WANT to adopt out dogs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not sure about this.

and contracts saying you won't get rid of it without their permission, and agreeing that if they have to sue you to get it back you're responsible for their court fees.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:49:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Fences, They always ask, "do you have a fenced in yard".
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:04:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Very cool!  Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:14:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Salukis coursed jackals and gazelle.
View Quote

Years and years ago I saw one of those Dogs101 shows about Salukis. They are gorgeous dogs. I have them on my list of dogs I'd love to own but probably never will.

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 7:25:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

There's always one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not sure about this.

There's always one.

LOL. So far in this thread there has been only one. I think that's a record for a GD hunting thread.

I blame Disney.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:52:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Fences, They always ask, "do you have a fenced in yard".
View Quote

That's not necessarily a bad thing for a sight hound.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:54:38 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Proper fucked?

Same thing came to my mind.  OP post is badass.

Link Posted: 2/15/2016 12:32:59 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
You want another dog that acts entirely out of stereotyped character, see what happens when someone seriously threatens the territory/people of a St. Bernard. Everybody sees those dogs as these big, dumb, goofy creatures that are relatively harmless, right up until they have one trying to tear limbs off of them. A couple I know had one that everyone and their brother thought was this big harmless doofus of a dog--Right up until a couple of vibrant urban youth tried breaking into the house while the wife was alone. The dog did a personality inversion, and turned into Cudjo on them, and damn near killed one of them before the other two could drag him out of the house. The dog was still latched on to him, chewing...

Cue the cops showing up the next day, looking for the "dangerous animal". She showed off her pride and joy, big slopply slobbering idiot St. Bernard, the cops went "Awww... Look at how he plays with the toddlers...", and left. Obviously, the "dangerous animal" report was in error.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If the dog is still alive, give him a bag of beef jerky and send me your paypal so I can pay for it.

Link Posted: 2/15/2016 12:45:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 12:57:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Damn, they sure haul ass.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 2:07:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Those dogs really enjoy their work!  
View Quote

All dogs love to work. It kills me when people try to say that it's cruel to the dog, or is too dangerous. Dogs are like Vikings, they want to go out in a blaze of glory, not crippled up and incontinent with old age.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 3:59:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
LOL the dag noise got my dag all worked up.
View Quote

I got a cat that's all pissed off from the barking dogs. LOL!
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 4:10:46 AM EDT
[#50]
That was impressive!
Dead fucking 'yotes don't bother me at all.
Those dogs were loving it.
Fuck PETA asswipes.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top