Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 2/10/2016 11:22:02 AM EDT
Some people save up money for guns, some people save up money for cars, some people save up money to travel the world……

How important is world travel to you?  I know people who are pretty extreme on each side of the fence.  Being in Midwest…particularly the “Ozarks”, you seem to find a lot of people who have no desire to explore the world, or even the US, or even get outside of the state for that matter.  It’s not uncommon to talk to people here in their 30’s and 40’s that haven’t even seen the ocean, or been in an airplane.  Their definition of world travel is taking a trip to the Walmart in the next county.  

On the other end……I know people who pretty much work for the sole purpose of financing their trips around the world.  Africa, South America, Burma, Australia, New Zealand….they have been everywhere!  Sounds fun, but not my thing…..too much money spent vs. what you get.

I fall somewhat in the middle.  I like going on “vacation” every year or two to places out of the states. I’ve been to Germany, France, Thailand, Italy, Mexico……and although I have a good time checking out new places around the world, I also love checking out all of the amazing places in the good ole USA.  I will say one thing though………traveling the world definitely makes you appreciate how good we have it here in the US.  We take a lot of things for granted here…..we actually have it pretty darn good.

How much world travel do you do?  Do you think it’s important to travel the world and see different places/cultures….or is it a waste of time?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:24:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Waste of time.  You could spend a lifetime exploring this country and still not see it all.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I like seeing shit but I hate traveling

Someday we will be able to teleport
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:25:50 AM EDT
[#3]
The best part about world travel is you realize that the USA is truly the greatest place in the world, not other country is as beautiful or diverse.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:26:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I saw enough of the world while in the USMC and in my own travels to not care to do anymore.

As far as other cultres go, they're all here in the USA.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:26:18 AM EDT
[#5]
My main priority is financial security (i.e., owning my house free and clear, savings, no debt, multiple sources of income).

Travelling's fun and all but it's not a priority.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:27:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:28:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Love it.

Which is too bad because the world is a shitty mess right now.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:28:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I enjoy traveling. I've been to a lot of countries but there are plenty I won't bother with because of the world situations.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:29:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The best part about world travel is you realize that the USA is truly the greatest place in the world, not other country is as beautiful or diverse.
View Quote

This right here.  You really appreciate the USA when you see what other people in other countries don't have, or have to deal with.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:30:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I've done the European trip 8~9 times, I think I'm done.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:30:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Now, not very much at all. I've done mine already; Europe,  Central and South America, I'm good as is.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:30:59 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd like to go to Europe and Australia one day. I'm hoping work takes me there one day so I don't have to pay.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:31:05 AM EDT
[#13]
The only foreign country I have any interest in seeing is Liechtenstein!

You can hike the whole damn place in a couple of weeks.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:31:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Royale with cheese.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:32:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

This!!

My kid know nows what freedom brings. After seeing people with no shoes and dirt floors in there homes. Homes with no windows, tv, AC, heat or anything else we have. Also a real good lesson on why we need firearms and 2A.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:32:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Waste of time.  You could spend a lifetime exploring this country and still not see it all.
View Quote

Some people want things the USA can't offer.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:32:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Have travelled, live in the Ozarks too.  I'll just keep my little piece of heaven.  It's the dry, and clean part of the cat litter box that comprises this planet.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:33:41 AM EDT
[#18]
I'd like to see more of America before I worry about seeing other parts of the world.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:36:24 AM EDT
[#19]
When i was younger i loved to travel, but usually couldnt find anybody that would go.  Now, im content with staying local.

I got my #1 off my list (egypt), so im good with that.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:37:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Love traveling the US, love traveling the world.  Have hit all the continents, met the Aimless extended family.  Once the kiddo is a little older we have Namibia and South Africa up as one of his first trips.  Sending my parents on a six week trip/cruise around New Zealand and Australia as an early 50th anniversary present (currently they just hit 47 but prices were too good to pass up).  Growing up we spent a lot of time traveling to Europe/Asia and occasionally South America.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:37:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:38:02 AM EDT
[#22]
I care more about the journey than the destination.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”
-Mark Twain
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:38:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Love to travel.

Love to get back home.  

Travel increases your love for the US, no doubt.

For example,

I have a friend moving to Baku for business in 12-18 months.

Already pricing tickets to visit.

Heck, may try to hunt Tur if affordable.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:39:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Love traveling the US, love traveling the world.  Have hit all the continents, met the Aimless extended family.  Once the kiddo is a little older we have Namibia and South Africa up as one of his first trips.  Sending my parents on a six week trip/cruise around New Zealand and Australia as an early 50th anniversary present (currently they just hit 47 but prices were too good to pass up).  Growing up we spent a lot of time traveling to Europe/Asia and occasionally South America.
View Quote

How did you get to Antarctica?

If it was open to tourism, I'd be on a flight to Christchurch this week.....
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:39:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I like seeing shit; and I think seeing shit is important, but I hate traveling, so I don't.
View Quote

I think it's especially important young people see what the rest of the world is like while getting a concurrent political education.  They need to KNOW America really is 'all that' and that some other countries are not shitholes because of what the left want them to 'know', but because these countrys' own self-imposed, usually leftist politics, make them shitholes.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:40:21 AM EDT
[#26]
I have spent a lot of dough on travel. I wouldn't take all of that money put together for one single memory I have.

Next up...Ireland(again), Peru, Madagascar, Scotland, Philippines, and anywhere else I can possible get to.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:40:58 AM EDT
[#27]
There's enough land west of the Rockies to keep me busy for 2 lifetimes.

ETA: But I have been to a handful of other countries as a kid thanks to my parents and their love of travel and I loved it and recommend it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:42:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Saw things while traveling in other countries that I would never, could never, have seen here.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:42:23 AM EDT
[#29]
I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture... and kill them. I wanted to be the first kid on my block to get a confirmed kill.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:42:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Traveling is nothing compared to residing.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:43:03 AM EDT
[#31]
I got my world traveling thru the military, It was fun and enjoyed it, but like many stated, there is PLENTY to enjoy in the USA. from beaches to mountains to deserts. Hell, ive got alot of exploring to do in my own back yard (recently moved to BFE WVa). Waiting for the spring thaw and hit the trails.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:43:42 AM EDT
[#32]
I have seen all of the "world" I care to...
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:43:47 AM EDT
[#33]
I'll bet most of those who vote they want to see the world haven't even seen 1/10th of their own country.

I've been in almost every state and haven't begun to scratch the surface.  Travel our country (for us USA folks) and you will learn more and see just as many spectacular sights for a lot lower cost.

EBR
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:43:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ask any refugee how they feel about world travel.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:44:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I saw enough of the world while in the USMC and in my own travels to not care to do anymore.

As far as other cultres go, they're all here in the USA.
View Quote

My thoughts exactly.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:46:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have spent a lot of dough on travel. I wouldn't take all of that money put together for one single memory I have.

Next up...Ireland(again), Peru, Madagascar, Scotland, Philippines, and anywhere else I can possible get to.
View Quote

I'm in this camp.

Peru is pretty awesome by the way.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:46:35 AM EDT
[#37]
There's tons of stuff in Europe I'd like to see... mostly WW1/WW2 historical stuff.  But it isn't really a huge priority.

I am going to Hawaii AND Alaska this year though... so I got that going for me.  Which is nice.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:47:03 AM EDT
[#38]
I have no desire to travel to another country. There's so much to see in the states that I haven't seen yet, rather spend my travel time doing that. Maybe one day when I've seen enough of the states I would, but until then, no thank you.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:47:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Not leaving the continental US.
Not giving up my ability to be armed (protect myself) as relaxation or for entertainment.
I drive on vacation and the dogs go with us, been doing it that way for 20+ years.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:47:14 AM EDT
[#40]
man you guys are boring. I love to travel, and I'm lucky enough to be in a career where I get to travel a lot. I really do pity you guys that think that because the US is beautiful and multicultural there's no point in exploring elsewhere.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:48:04 AM EDT
[#41]
I love traveling, both internationally and around the US.  It's really enlightening to talk to people from different countries or regions and see things from their perspective.  I also enjoy all of the good food and drink from different cultures/places.

I think it would be a shame to only stay in your little bubble and not see what else is out there.  I don't spend all of my money on traveling, but I do think that spending money on experiences is well worth it.

ETA: Live is to be lived.  Sitting home on your ass doing the same old routine until you die is the definition of boring.  I think back on the things I've done and seen, and they are some of my most cherished memories.  Especially when I've been traveling (and on fishing trips, etc) with close friends and family.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:48:29 AM EDT
[#42]
It ranks right up there with bathing our laying hens.

Seen enough in .mil.  I have Hi-Def and surround sound for the rest.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:49:06 AM EDT
[#43]
meh, it's ok.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:50:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask any long term resident how they feel about   traveling.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:51:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Not giving up my ability to be armed (protect myself) as relaxation or for entertainment.
I drive on vacation and the dogs go with us, been doing it that way for 20+ years.
View Quote

Wow....you sound like a real party animal
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:51:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Closest I've been to another country is 10 miles from Laredo. That's about as far as I want to get.

Might have crossed into Canada the one time my family went to Detroit when I was a wee lad, not sure.

At one time I had a hankering to visit Italy. Now about the only place I'd travel to is Montana and Idaho.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:53:49 AM EDT
[#47]
There are a lot of things I've always wanted to see and am in the process of closing out my bucket list.  

So far I've seen things like the Eiffel Tower, Pyramids, Crown Jewels, Smithsonian, Great Wall, Bora Bora, Sydney Opera House, Coliseum, Canals of Venice, Sailed the Nile, Parthenon, Rosetta Stone, and the home of golf, St. Andrews.  There is a lot more, but you get the idea.

I've heard about all these things my entire life.  Pictures don't do most of them justice.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:55:03 AM EDT
[#48]
From what I have seen abroad, there are lots of folks from here who should stay home.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:55:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I take the parrot too; at home she says, "I wanna see the ocean". I say me too parrot, me too.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:56:08 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm happy sitting at home. I used to like to travel, but now, I'd rather see the world on TV or Google Maps.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top