Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2016 6:57:59 PM EDT
So I have 3 days in the beginning of March on a trip to meet an Army buddy in New Orleans. 3 full days, not travel days. Looking for advice on things to see.

I've been there before years ago, and will definitely visit the WW2 Museum, and spend a day or two meandering through the French Quarter.

I was last there 1 year before Katrina, while preparing to head over to Baghdad with the good old boys of the 256th Louisiana Infantry Brigade. I'll be looking into if the JRB Naval Base there has any quarters available, I don't know if such things are available to vets (not a retiree).  If it saves me renting a car, I may get a hotel downtown or at least within streetcar travel distance.

If anyone has any advice, I'm partial to historic areas, interesting parks and musuems, good restaurants or cafes,  and similar. No club scene for me, but I would consider renting a car and driving for an afternoon if there was an interesting town within an hour drive or so. I also know enough to avoid areas I should not be in, I've traveled around alot and like to walk most places.

Advice appreciated!

update:
OK, will get a moderate place just a bit outside the French Quarter. For those that have been there, which neighborhood would be more interesting - Marigny or the Garden District (just off St. Charles)?   Thanks
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:59:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Not to go.....New Orleans
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 7:04:44 PM EDT
[#2]
If you like live music head over to Frenchmen street in the Marigny.  Wander down magazine street for some interesting shops and bars.  There's a lot to do outside the quarter if you look around
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 7:05:13 PM EDT
[#3]
The wife and I enjoyed the aquarium and the insectorium.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 7:10:50 PM EDT
[#4]
How is car service or something like Uber there? Seems like places right in town are (obviously) more expensive, but I can find a hotel 6 miles from the French Quarter for around $80 a night, versus twice that in town. That should easily pay for a car service down town I imagine.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 7:30:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Most fail-filled first post I've ever seen.

Brennan's.

Cafe du Monde.

World War II Museum.

Hit up Crescent City Cigars, grab a Grenade at Tropical Isle and take in the Bourbon St spectacle.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 7:32:15 PM EDT
[#6]
World War II museum.  Check out Mothers's Restaurant.  Get the Ralph!
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 7:41:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
World War II museum.  Check out Mothers's Restaurant.  Get the Ralph!
View Quote

WWII museum is a must see.
Mother's sucks and in over rated.
Ralph?

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 8:20:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Brennan's.
Cafe du Monde.
World War II Museum.
Hit up Crescent City Cigars, grab a Grenade at Tropical Isle and take in the Bourbon St spectacle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brennan's.
Cafe du Monde.
World War II Museum.

Pretty much this.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 8:59:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the information so far. First post did not nail it this time. There are some nice spots in New Orleans.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:04:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Drago's for the chargrilled oysters.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:12:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote
and FPNI

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:28:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I agree, Mother's is over rated!

ACME Oyster House is decent

Willie Mays Scotch House

Emeril's restaurant is pretty good
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:38:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So I have 3 days in the beginning of March on a trip to meet an Army buddy in New Orleans. 3 full days, not travel days. Looking for advice on things to see.

I've been there before years ago, and will definitely visit the WW2 Museum, and spend a day or two meandering through the French Quarter.

I was last there 1 year before Katrina, while preparing to head over to Baghdad with the good old boys of the 256th Louisiana Infantry Brigade. I'll be looking into if the JRB Naval Base there has any quarters available, I don't know if such things are available to vets (not a retiree).  If it saves me renting a car, I may get a hotel downtown or at least within streetcar travel distance.

If anyone has any advice, I'm partial to historic areas, interesting parks and musuems, good restaurants or cafes,  and similar. No club scene for me, but I would consider renting a car and driving for an afternoon if there was an interesting town within an hour drive or so. I also know enough to avoid areas I should not be in, I've traveled around alot and like to walk most places.

Advice appreciated!

update:
OK, will get a moderate place just a bit outside the French Quarter. For those that have been there, which neighborhood would be more interesting - Marigny or the Garden District (just off St. Charles)?   Thanks
View Quote

The Marigny is closer, but most of the places there are B&Bs, which means the accomodations may be a bit sparse.  The Garden District is nicer and safer, but not within walking distance of the Quarter.  Personally, I would go with the Marigny since it's right next to Frenchman St. and St. Claude (which is quickly turning into the next "cool" street); lots to do and eat, and prices aren't as  insane as in the Quarter.  As long as you maintain SA and don't act the complete fool you should be fine.

Pro tip: go to Siberia and enjoy the great Polish food and horrible music; bring ear plugs.

ETA: WTF is wrong with people from Arizona? Is everybody there afraid of their shadows and live sad, boring lives?
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:20:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks again for the continued info. I'll probably get a place in the Garden District. I like the area, and I looked up the street car schedule: it's a 20 minute trip and they leave every 10-15 minutes. The St. Charles street car will get me walking distance to where I want to go.

I'm older and wiser now. Here's my story from Mardi Gras 20 years ago when there with a bunch of young college buddies. We had a tag-a-long "friend", an obnoxious loudmouth from New Jersey. I was the designated moderately sober guy in our group. We worked our way back home at some ungodly hour in the morning, and walked back to our place in the Garden, in the middle of the street. A local pickup truck beeped the horn to get us out of the way, and the obnoxious guy from New Jersey gets upset at this and starts to curse out the pickup, as well as hitting his truck with his hand as it passed by.

I'm in the front of our group, and the truck stops and a similarly drunkish local guy gets out and wants to know what our problem is. I apologized for our "friend" and the local is still agitated and pulls out a 45 Govt. model. Now I start to really apologize, and point out that he's just a drunk fool, we really don't like him much either, but we're stuck with him, so no need for trouble. After a few more words, the guy tucks his gun away and advised me to get my friend under control, since he don't like people hitting his truck.  

My buddies were back behind me, watching this go down, and thought I was about to get shot. I came back and told them the story. The drunk fool, he says: "You're a real wimp. I'd never let some redneck pull a gun on me... I would kick his ass just for trying..."

At that point, my buddies then tried to hail down the pick up to come back and shoot the guy from Jersey.  No offence to the decent guys from New Jersey, my brother lives there now, this guy was just a loud mouth, obnoxious crap-talker.

I look forward to a more relaxed trip this time.

Edited to be more polite.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:36:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Advice appreciated!

Thanks
View Quote
You're in luck -- Louisiana honors CCW permits issued by Pennsylvania. Bring at least two Glocks, with spare mags.

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:36:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Was at a conference several years back.....in fact it was the same time as the LA Riots.
Asked a local tour guide what sites should I visit.

One thing the tour guide said, and confirmed by the hotel personnel at the Hyatt ........"Do NOT go into the unlighted portions of Bourbon Street.....do NOT venture off into the side streets"

This was advice well given and well taken.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:41:59 PM EDT
[#17]
NOLA blows the wife's family is from there. It's a shit hole.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:43:58 PM EDT
[#18]
If you will be riding the streetcars a lot then look into a "Jazzy Pass". It is pass that can cover all streetcar fares for a 3 days. Check into them before you go down as I don't know if you can buy them from the streetcar operator. You may have buy in advance.

Garden District is quieter then the French Quarter but still has bars and restaurants. Easy streetcar ride with one transfer to the Quarter.  The WWII museum is awesome. The Aquarium and insectarium are cool. People watching on Bourbon can be entertaining. If you are going to Cafe Du Monde plan on getting their early otherwise the line backs into the street. There is a cool museum across Jackson Square from the Cafe that had a 2 story exhibit on the origins and history of Mardi Gras when I was there last April for Jazz Fest.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:44:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Listening to the band at preservation hall is cool

Coops place is a pretty good dive restaurant

In the daytime, the new Orleans school of cooking class was surprisingly entertaining
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:49:34 PM EDT
[#20]
James h Cohen & sons, inc.
Napoleon house
Galatoires
Sazerac bar
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:50:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Grab a  Bloody Mary at Muriel's in Jackson Square. The balcony view of the square is pretty awesome. Be sure to check out the seance room...

If you go to Preservation Hall to hear music, be sure to get tix ahead of time.

The WWII museum kicks ass. Be sure to visit the Boing exhibit.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:50:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Drive over the bridge to Algiers. Just kidding. Don't drive over the bridge.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:03:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Drive over the bridge to Algiers. Just kidding. Don't drive over the bridge.
View Quote

Ride the ferry over, grab a drink at the Dry Dock and ride the ferry back. $2 a person each way.  Just to say you did.  The area around the ferry landing is fine.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 4:29:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
and FPNI

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
and FPNI

+1
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 4:44:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Advice appreciated!

update:
View Quote

cafe du monde. Pralines from southern candy and muffalettas from central grocery. Barqs in a glass bottle.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 5:40:36 AM EDT
[#26]
I have similar questions.  We are planning to stop there on a road trip next month. The wife is a jazz fan and wants to see some good jazz in an authentic jazz club.  I've read that new orleans isn't exactly the safest place to hang out.  What are the best jazz clubs in less-sketchy parts of town?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 5:47:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Chef Ron's Gumbo Stop in Metarie. Make sure you get the bread pudding!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 6:03:42 AM EDT
[#28]
OP, there are plenty of people from LA who will give you great advice on what to do in NOLA. My advice is keep driving down south of there to Venice and go fishing.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 6:12:12 AM EDT
[#29]
The Civil War Museum next to the WW2 Museum is the cheapest thing in New Orleans and is a nice little attraction.  Interesting building, as well.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:49:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have similar questions.  We are planning to stop there on a road trip next month. The wife is a jazz fan and wants to see some good jazz in an authentic jazz club.  I've read that new orleans isn't exactly the safest place to hang out.  What are the best jazz clubs in less-sketchy parts of town?
View Quote

Snug Harbor if you want music and food, Preservation Hall if you just want music.  Buffa's does a nice "jazz" brunch (quoted because it's more ragtime than jazz), but get there early because it's standing room only.  Our Lady of Guadalupe church has a great horn section, if you want to get a little religion with your music (I think they only play Sunday morning, and not every time).
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:56:08 PM EDT
[#31]
"Do NOT go into the unlighted portions of Bourbon Street.....do NOT venture off into the side streets"

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:05:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Go find Coop's Place and order the Chicken Tchoupitoulas:  A mouth-watering combination of boneless chicken breast sauteed with cream sauce and flavored with shrimp and tasso. Served over rice with our Creole green beans.

Everything I tried there was great.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:09:58 PM EDT
[#33]
in response to the update, I suggest garden district
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:15:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Cochon Butcher. It's crazy delicious. I am tempted just to go back to Nola just to eat there a few more times. It's a couple blocks south of the WW2 museum.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:19:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Was at a conference several years back.....in fact it was the same time as the LA Riots.

One thing the tour guide said, and confirmed by the hotel personnel at the Hyatt ........"Do NOT go into the unlighted portions of Bourbon Street.....do NOT venture off into the side streets"

View Quote

I will say this.....as me and my (soon to be Mr's, now ex) were strolling thru the city we ran across this place:
http://www.pharmacymuseum.org/
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:33:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Carry a gun always

Mulates is great food. It's not in the French quarter but close. The best shrimp I've ever had ever. Literally the shrimp in the shrimp and corn bisque fell apart in your mouth. Shrimp Au gratin was awesome. Frog legs, crawfish tails, red beans and rice, boudin were all awesome too.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:00:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Carry a gun always

Mulates is great food. It's not in the French quarter but close. The best shrimp I've ever had ever. Literally the shrimp in the shrimp and corn bisque fell apart in your mouth. Shrimp Au gratin was awesome. Frog legs, crawfish tails, red beans and rice, boudin were all awesome too.
View Quote

Mulates is horrible food (well, ok, not horrible, exactly, but certainly sucky).  Shrimp isn't supposed to fall apart in your mouth, it's supposed to be tender and succulent; if it fell apart, it was either very over cooked, or had been frozen... probably both.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:37:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Listening to the band at preservation hall is cool

Coops place is a pretty good dive restaurant

In the daytime, the new Orleans school of cooking class was surprisingly entertaining
View Quote

I accidentally bumped into Jon Favreau last time I was at Preservation Hall. You never know who you'll bump into in there.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:50:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
How is car service or something like Uber there? Seems like places right in town are (obviously) more expensive, but I can find a hotel 6 miles from the French Quarter for around $80 a night, versus twice that in town. That should easily pay for a car service down town I imagine.
View Quote

I was there a few months ago and had great luck with Uber. They were everywhere and were the nicest Uber cars I've ever been in. Like the drives actually gave a damn.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:00:12 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Drago's for the chargrilled oysters.
View Quote

That makes me hungry thinking about it
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:02:21 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Thanks again for the continued info. I'll probably get a place in the Garden District. I like the area, and I looked up the street car schedule: it's a 20 minute trip and they leave every 10-15 minutes. The St. Charles street car will get me walking distance to where I want to go.

I'm older and wiser now. Here's my story from Mardi Gras 20 years ago when there with a bunch of young college buddies. We had a tag-a-long "friend", an obnoxious loudmouth from New Jersey. I was the designated moderately sober guy in our group. We worked our way back home at some ungodly hour in the morning, and walked back to our place in the Garden, in the middle of the street. A local pickup truck beeped the horn to get us out of the way, and the obnoxious guy from New Jersey gets upset at this and starts to curse out the pickup, as well as hitting his truck with his hand as it passed by.

I'm in the front of our group, and the truck stops and a similarly drunkish local guy gets out and wants to know what our problem is. I apologized for our "friend" and the local is still agitated and pulls out a 45 Govt. model. Now I start to really apologize, and point out that he's just a drunk fool, we really don't like him much either, but we're stuck with him, so no need for trouble. After a few more words, the guy tucks his gun away and advised me to get my friend under control, since he don't like people hitting his truck.  

My buddies were back behind me, watching this go down, and thought I was about to get shot. I came back and told them the story. The drunk fool, he says: "You're a real wimp. I'd never let some redneck pull a gun on me... I would kick his ass just for trying..."

At that point, my buddies then tried to hail down the pick up to come back and shoot the guy from Jersey.  No offence to the decent guys from New Jersey, my brother lives there now, this guy was just a loud mouth, obnoxious crap-talker.

I look forward to a more relaxed trip this time.

Edited to be more polite.

View Quote

I'd have figured out a way to ditch that idiot
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:04:16 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View Quote

Only place someone has ever tried to mug me in my entire life was on one of those side streets in New Orleans.  He was not successful.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:36:42 AM EDT
[#43]
For happy hour the Blind Pelican in the Garden District has .25$ raw oysters that everyone loves.

Cafe Du Monde is overrated to me. Nearly every cafe there has beignets and you don't have to wait an hour. The park there is huge and beautiful and the cafe inside called Morning Call has phenomenal beignets and jumbalaya.

As far as attractions the zoo was cool, the aquarium was kind of a let down. WW2 museum obviously. When I was there with my wife back in November we got a cemetery tour off groupon for like $16 for both of us and it was so worth it. The guy knew his shit and took us to a few cemeteries.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:55:11 AM EDT
[#44]
For the best po-boys in the 'city' you'll have to go to old Metairie and eat at Bear's poboys. Mothers sucks, I don't get the lines there. I really like Peche for something nicer.

You won't be far from the NOLA brewery, which is my favorite brewery. Avenue pub has a great selection of beer and whisky.

I'd look into a fishing trip out of Lafitte if I was you. You'd probably have to charter, but fishing is what the locals do when we aren't partying.

Crawfish season is starting up too...
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 1:48:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Bump for any additional replies. I'm visiting New Orleans for the very first time at the end of this month, 2/25 to 2/29.  I've read the replies so far.  We're staying in the "downtown" area (so says the hotel, whatever that means, Baronne St near Gravier St. area).

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Bump for any additional replies. I'm visiting New Orleans for the very first time at the end of this month, 2/25 to 2/29.  I've read the replies so far.  We're staying in the "downtown" area (so says the hotel, whatever that means, Baronne St near Gravier St. area).

Thanks!
View Quote

Baronne and Gravier is in the CBD; that area is turning into NY lite.  Lots of restaurants and shops and tall buildings; nothing New Orleans (although the food is still quite good).  You still have to cross Canal to get to the Quarter, and you're a bit far from the river.  It's a long walk to any of the good places mentioned in this thread.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top