BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:37:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just know that from the first second you see her, you will be wrapped around her finger.

Start stocking on diapers and wipes now, you will be suprised how fast you go through them.
View Quote

Get some for the baby too

Daughters instinctively know the magic word that hits you deeper than any spear ever could.

"Daddy".

It doesn't mean you give in to her on everything, or maybe not even most things. But depending on the context it can wither you to dust or steel your resolve to face the devil himself.

Link Posted: 1/29/2016 12:23:57 AM EDT
[#2]
what's crazy to think about though is that by the time she's eight I will have just retired from the AF
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 1:38:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Congrats!  You are in for a real life changer but in a good way.  I have a daughter that's going to be 2 in a few short months.  A friend told me "being a father is the best thing I've done". It's hard to explain but it's making more sense all the time.  She will be someone you love and learn more about everyday.  Be there and be involved as much as you can for her and your wife.  Also ear infections are a bitch, I hope your little one Never gets them.

Also pink camo is fairly popular in the hunting and firearms industry I'm learning.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 4:20:02 AM EDT
[#4]
just showed the wife this thread

she loved the posts

thanks guys
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 4:50:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Anybody say 'have a boy, worry about one dick, have a girl worry about ALL the dicks' yet?

Congrats OP!
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 5:03:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Good luck OP, I have 3 daughter! Struck out 3 times!  But I love them to death and would do anything for them! They are all #1 in my life!
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 5:49:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Laughter. Tears. Disney.
View Quote

All at the same time.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 6:02:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Big Congrats OP! I cried the happiest tears ever when both my girls came into this world. I spend as much time as possible with them. Mine are 6 and almost 8 and still like having Dad around. I stay involved in everything from school work to coaching their softball teams. With girls from what I have watched over the years the best thing is just to be involved in their lives and listen. My sister and father haven't liked each other for as long as I can remember. I didn't want that to be me so I did the opposite of what he did. Pretty simple.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 6:32:50 AM EDT
[#9]
You will be their superhero until the age of about 13 or 14 and then you will become the biggest idiot in the entire world.  This continues till about the age of 26 when you will regain superhero status again.

Link Posted: 1/29/2016 4:55:09 PM EDT
[#10]
thanks again for all the good info guys
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 2:59:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You will be their superhero until the age of about 13 or 14 and then you will become the biggest idiot in the entire world.  This continues till about the age of 26 when you will regain superhero status again.

View Quote

Fuck it up and that doesn't happen.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 3:19:08 AM EDT
[#12]
It's only the greatest thing in the entire universe

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 8:18:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I remember the first time I heard "Tough Little Boys" by Gary Allen. My wife had a sonogram that morning and we found out our youngest would be another daughter.

Picture a big, hairy manly man operating a bulldozer while crying like a little girl. Ten years later, I still get a catch in my throat when I hear that song.

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 8:34:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

OR Maybe, just maybe, you telling them that they will become crazy became a self fulfilling prophecy. I never told my daughter that she would be crazy and she's been the most even-keeled, level headed kid you'd ever have the good fortune to meet. In fact, today, I just gifted her her first concealed carry gun! Time flies.

OP - girls are awesome and they're super fun to hike, bike and camp with. Just make sure that you make things a bit "comfy" for them and they are naturals at adventuring. I have a 21 yo girl and a 15 year old boy and they are the reason I get up every morning. Congrats!!!!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
When she reaches 16 her hormones will drive her into a crazy unreasonable state much like that time when Mr. Spock was in heat and lost his frigging mind.

Lol, I've told both of mine multiple times....you're both going to be batshit crazy till you hit 23 or so.

My oldest is 25 , and just recently told me , Jesus Christ dad , my sister is insane,(19) , holy shit you were right!

OR Maybe, just maybe, you telling them that they will become crazy became a self fulfilling prophecy. I never told my daughter that she would be crazy and she's been the most even-keeled, level headed kid you'd ever have the good fortune to meet. In fact, today, I just gifted her her first concealed carry gun! Time flies.

OP - girls are awesome and they're super fun to hike, bike and camp with. Just make sure that you make things a bit "comfy" for them and they are naturals at adventuring. I have a 21 yo girl and a 15 year old boy and they are the reason I get up every morning. Congrats!!!!!

Lighten up Francis, it's a joke.

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 10:39:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Congratulations man!     For the rest of your life you'll react every time you hear a child say "Daddy".

Lots of good stuff posted already.....front to back, the nights that she won't sleep when she's little, the nights you won't sleep when she's older, the crazy years, princess outfits, boys.

Learn to braid hair.  Trust me on that one.  

You will be her hero and the measure by which every man in her life is judged.  Be the person she deserves.

Save the things she makes for you.  Someday, when she's far away, you'll sit on the floor of your garage crying like a whipped little boy surrounded by piles of these:

Do stuff with her.  You don't have to go out of your way to make it "special" ............. it will be special just because you're together.  

Treasure every moment.  It seems like it takes forever for them to grow up, but then you realize that it went by way too fast.

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 11:03:29 AM EDT
[#16]
10,000 penis to worry about when she's a teen!
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 11:09:09 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

10,000 penis to worry about when she's a teen!
View Quote

i don't think you know what that really means
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 11:15:41 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess I didn't fuck it up too badly then

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 11:26:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just know that from the first second you see her, you will be wrapped around her finger.

Start stocking on diapers and wipes now, you will be suprised how fast you go through them.
View Quote

Serious we bought 3,000 before arrival and went through them quickly.. Don't buy a ton of infant gel all sizes as they don't stay in one size terribly long.

Enjoy the ride and remember to be patient with each other(wife).
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 1:14:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Congratulations man!     For the rest of your life you'll react every time you hear a child say "Daddy".

Lots of good stuff posted already.....front to back, the nights that she won't sleep when she's little, the nights you won't sleep when she's older, the crazy years, princess outfits, boys.

You will be her hero and the measure by which every man in her life is judged.  Be the person she deserves.

Save the things she makes for you.  Someday, when she's far away, you'll sit on the floor of your garage crying like a whipped little boy surrounded by piles of these:

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww326/kermitphx/Kathy%20drawing%201_zpsewgpioja.jpg

Do stuff with her.  You don't have to go out of your way to make it "special" ............. it will be special just because you're together.  

Treasure every moment.  It seems like it takes forever for them to grow up, but then you realize that it went by way too fast.

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww326/kermitphx/daddys%20helper%202_zpsymysjb6w.jpg

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww326/kermitphx/kathy%20red%20and%20white_zpszplyd0wb.jpg

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww326/kermitphx/2975f72f-238f-493f-9883-8f87bc0bb2a9_zpsgb2e5qyo.jpg

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww326/kermitphx/Picture_0653a_zpsmr77bjwd.jpg

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww326/kermitphx/100_4297a_zpsqx5spahx.jpg

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww326/kermitphx/18cc8e25-5767-43cd-9085-cdac9b9c7cf0_zpsszyhp84g.jpg

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww326/kermitphx/64cbb556-5b5e-40fd-8f16-8cf9474d2ab3_zpsgk1vvuid.jpg

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww326/kermitphx/2cd3593b-23d5-4f85-86ca-9a70bcc63c93_zpstnztavl9.jpg

View Quote

Wow.  Great post, man.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 1:18:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Congrats, my baby is now 17-years-old...Just took her to her driving test on Thursday.

Wrapped around her finger? Nonsense!
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 4:57:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww326/kermitphx/Kathy%20drawing%201_zpsewgpioja.jpg

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww326/kermitphx/daddys%20helper%202_zpsymysjb6w.jpg

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww326/kermitphx/kathy%20red%20and%20white_zpszplyd0wb.jpg

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww326/kermitphx/2975f72f-238f-493f-9883-8f87bc0bb2a9_zpsgb2e5qyo.jpg

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww326/kermitphx/Picture_0653a_zpsmr77bjwd.jpg

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww326/kermitphx/100_4297a_zpsqx5spahx.jpg

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww326/kermitphx/18cc8e25-5767-43cd-9085-cdac9b9c7cf0_zpsszyhp84g.jpg

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww326/kermitphx/64cbb556-5b5e-40fd-8f16-8cf9474d2ab3_zpsgk1vvuid.jpg

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww326/kermitphx/2cd3593b-23d5-4f85-86ca-9a70bcc63c93_zpstnztavl9.jpg

View Quote

great post

what branch is she in?
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 5:02:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Boys and girls are different
I was told by a friend that you
Scare your sons while they are young and treat your daughter like a princess.
When they are older in their teens this reverses, love your boys and scare the daughters.
Don't know if this works for girls, I only have boys.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 5:10:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Well, you need to be ready for a few changes. You'll probably start to think a little differently about girls from now on. Your voice is going to be screwed up for a while, showers are going to be more important, and you'll start growing hair in new and exciting places. . .

Wait, what was this thread about again?
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 5:17:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Just had my first child/daughter 2 months ago.... She's my little princess, she prefers my wife, but I know that's b/c she feeds her and gets more time with her.  She goes through diapers like crazy, definitely lets you know when she wants/needs anything.  She grows so quick that she out grows her outfits within weeks.  I'm looking forward to her being a little bigger so I can hear all the funny things she will have to say, but for now I'll cherish her silence.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 5:21:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Congratulations!  My daughter is 6 months old and she is my first, so I am in the same boat.  So far my pointer is to be very careful when you wipe her off after a dirty diaper.  Be sure not to wipe upwards as you could cause her to get a urinary tract infection.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 5:27:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Got a 2.5 daughter year old sitting next to me right now. I have no words for how awesome she is. You are very lucky.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 5:28:35 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a 7, 9, and 16, year old daughters. The oldest being my step daughter.

The first thing is fear.
Fear that you are really really no more bullshit, are really responsible for the life and raising of a person.
Fear of childhood sicknesses taking them away.
Fear of reckless or drunk drivers.
Fear of nasty fucking pedophile scum.
Fear of the child being kidnapped.
Fear of bullies at school.
Fear of them growing up.
Fear of them driving some day.
Fear of them hating you.
Fear of them not doing well in life.

Fear, is your new friend.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 5:38:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Congrats.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 5:48:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Wife is due in early July with our first, we went to the ultrasound on Tuesday and saw that she's a girl.

About to be a first time father to a little girl, Arfcom what am I in for?
View Quote

Enjoy every second of it, and be the type of man you want her to marry.

Congrats!
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 6:32:14 PM EDT
[#31]
I raised three daughters and they all turned out fine. Once you have raised daughters you will have a lot more insight into the female mind. Of course it's too late by then. LOL

While all kids are different there is a common thread with the girls. That is they are somewhat delicate. You can not yell at them. While you have have to swat their butt occasionally when they are small you can not over do it. They want your approval and hate it when you are mad at them. Boys are like a hard headed coon hound you have to beat with a stick to get them to understand to stop doing something. Girls are like a collie that you can just scold and that is enough.

That being said you need to raise them like boys. When they fall off their bike don't run over there all "Are you OK?" Just tell them "Get up". They need to learn just like boys that if you need a hand look down at the end of your arm. By the time they are 12 or 13 they won't want to hang out with Dad any more. Don't wait to do things with them. Take them everywhere you go when you are not at work. Show them the whole world and tell them the truth about it. Don't scare them but teach them to recognize the warning signs in the world.

If you want them to shoot guns with you start taking them when they are maybe six. Get one of the little 22 rifles like a Chipmunk and don't let them shoot off the bench. Get a Ruger Bearcat or other small 22 pistol at first. Remember by the time they are 12 they won't want to play with you any more so there isn't much time.

Make sure they can jump off a car, change a tire, get them a checking account when they are 14 so they can learn all that. You have to train them in every way. It is amazing to me some of my kids college aged friends who don't know how to do anything. Insist they meet their milestones regarding when they start driving and every thing else. Teach them everything you know. Make them work too. Rake leaves. Mow the yard. Interior painting. Anything that needs to be done. Don't let them be spoiled princesses. They want equality? They can sweat and bleed equal to a man.

My oldest seemed untrainable a lot of the time. Just did not want to learn things. Once she left home she realized how much she had learned anyway and how much it helped her. Stick with them even if they don't seem to take to it. You will not be there forever to help them.

When they left home I told my girls "All your life you have been watched over by a man with an automatic rifle. Now you will be out of range of the Dad Rapid Response Unit." Make sure they understand that is where they are headed. Independent adulthood.

Start pushing them out of the nest early. Stop washing their clothes when they are 14. Don't be mean. Just tell them they are old enough and it's time to take some burden off their mom. Things like that. They can make their own dentist appts when they are 16. They need to learn to do everything possible before they leave home.

While little girls are great, teenage girls are not. Even the best and smartest girls will sometimes date some loser. Don't worry, she will break up with him. Remember they are young and don't know what the hell they are doing. Let them make their mistakes sooner rather than later up to a point so they won't make them later on.

People say your daughters go crazy when they turn 13 and you have to wait and hope they snap out of it by the time they are 20. I think a lot, but not all, of that can be minimized by having high standards with your girls and teaching them as much as possible as soon as possible. Be ready to forgive their screw ups and move on. Don't ruin your relationship hanging onto things.

Enjoy then while they are little and don't waste a minute with them. We used to have a great time doing bicycle trail rides and squirrel hunting. Deer hunting can be too much for little kids unless they have the fire for it. Any kid can bag a few squirrels without feeling like they are on a forced march.

When they are old enough tell them this story. If they heed the message they will avoid a lot of trouble.

Once upon a time there were a group of sheep who lived on a ranch. They had grass and water and everything they needed. There was a fence around the ranch and a man on a horse with a rifle rode the fence all the time. One day one of the sheep said "We are like prisoners here on this ranch. We have what we need but there is a whole world out there. We are fenced in and a guy with a rifle is always watching us. We need to escape and enjoy the world."

Some of the sheep joined with him and one night dug under the fence and struck out into the world they dreamed of. They were promptly attacked by wolves and most of them were killed before the man with the rifle showed up and ran the wolves off.

What did they learn? They learned that the ranch that had everything they needed but not everything in the world was God's will for people. They fence was God's law and it was not to keep them in, but to keep danger out. The man with the rifle was God himself and he was not keeping them in the fence threatening to shoot them if they tried to escape. He was there you protect them from a world full of wolves.

Teach them God's will for them is the same as God's will for everyone else. To stay inside the fence of His will. They will have everything they need. Outside God's will is no place to be. But if you do go outside the fence you can always come back. Teach them to avoid going through a lot of hell and heartache. Stay inside the fence.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 12:15:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Well said, Rustygun.

Marlboroman79 has obviously been there too.  The fear he speaks of is very real.  Teach her well and it will be easier on both of you.

For those who asked, my daughter served in the Navy until she tore her Achilles tendon while she was stationed in San Diego learning to hunt submarines.  Medical discharge when they determined that she could not climb a ladder and therefore could not go to sea.  

While she was in rehab a group of sailors from the ASW base was "volunteered" to be the bad guys in a training drill on Coronado Island.  She was still on crutches, so her role was to be an injured bad guy.  They put her in a room with a bed and whatever kind of simulated weapon they were using for training (I think it was an M9 with simunitions, but I'll have to ask).  When the team started clearing the building, the lead guy looked into the room and said "It's just a girl"......she dropped the first 3 through the door before the rest of the team lit her up.  She says she was covered in welts for a week but it was worth it to see the guys she dropped doing pushups as she got on the bus.  

Hopefully she taught them a lesson in never taking anything for granted.  

Another story.....when she was 12 we were shopping for her first shotgun.  She had shot quite a variety of different guns and had decided that she wanted a Browning Citori over/under 12 gauge.  We were in Sportsmans Warehouse looking at shotguns, being "helped" by a 20-something dude.  When he realized that we were looking at one for her, he launched into a long winded spiel about how she needed a 20 gauge.  "20 gauge guns are lighter.  20 gauge guns are smaller.  20 gauge will do anything a 12 gauge will do."     Kathy leaned on the counter and asked "Do you shoot a 20 gauge?"

The guy replied that he did.  

My sweet little girl with the ponytail leaned in a little bit closer and said "Well then you're a pussy.  I'd like to see the 12 gauge please."

First hunt:

Everything will be pink (or fuchsia around my house)

Time spent at the range with your kids is like time spent fishing....it's not subtracted from your lifespan.  

The same goes for time spent hunting.....

All of my shooting buddies have daughters too.       Funny thing....the dude didn't need "the talk" and brought her home on time.  

The Good Lord certainly gave me a gift in my little girl.  May He bless you and yours, OP.  

Link Posted: 1/31/2016 12:51:09 AM EDT
[#33]
My first daughter turns 2 on 3/1. My second daughter is due in August. I always knew I would be a Dad to girls. As I describe my almost 2yo to my wife as "precocious and full of wonderment....and kind of a dick" which is true, but I am the biggest sucker for her on the planet. When she sees me she runs at me screaming "daddy daddy!!!!" with a huge smile on her face, your shitty day at work is gone in an instant.

Change lots of diapers.
Hope you don't have a milk allergy to deal with or acid reflux. Both suck but they become manageable once insurance gets their heads out of their asses and gets you the right meds, that more than likely your doctor prescribed in the first place.
Wipe front to back and use plenty of diaper rash cream.
Sleep when you can.
3am is never the time for projects when you and your wife are sleep deprived, but your wife will think so anyways. Don't do it.
Never, ever fumble.
Support the head.
Learn to swaddle.
Use the baby mittens, because they will scratch the crap out of their faces.
Double check everything.
Get a SIDS monitor and put it on her correctly. That's a heart attack moment for you when you don't.

Biggest thing of all. Love her with your whole heart. There's nothing like it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 5:11:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was just gonna post that. They suddenly become smarter than you at about that age.
Mines 39 now and she's still embarrassed about things she said,did and thought she was getting away with.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:46:57 AM EDT
[#35]
just bought the first box of diapers, baby wipes, and some newborn sized onesies at Target Saturday night
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:18:23 AM EDT
[#36]
I always wanted a boy.  I have 3 beautiful daughters as a result of that want.  If you do like I have you will probably question why you ever wanted a boy after about the first week.  It's an amazing journey.  Congrats and it is easier than you currently think.  Girls really can do almost everything a boy can.  That whole peeing while standing up is a bit messier for them but all mine tried it at some point.

Enjoy the bliss of ignorance.  Then enjoy the bliss of learning.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:24:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
just bought the first box of diapers, baby wipes, and some newborn sized onesies at Target Saturday night
View Quote

If you have Amazon prime, look into recurring "subscriptions" for diapers and wipes.  I buy them for my grandkids, and it's far cheaper than you can find them anywhere else.  It's no big deal to up the size every couple months, either.  My 4 mo granddaughter is already wearing 1T stuff.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:48:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Piece of cake up until age 12-13 and then its a 50/50 chance they will start respecting you again when they turn 17-19 as adulthood starts to weigh on them.

I went through hell during grade 10 and 11 with my daughter but her last year of high school she started to come around, shes a freshman in college now things are pretty good!

Seems every year she gets older we understand each other better, Im thrilled to have her in my life and cant wait to see what thr future holds for her.

Looking back on it shes a waaayyyyy better kid then I ever was.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:56:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Wipe down, not up.

I was scared to death having two daughters after my wife giving me a son 5 years before them. But it's awesome, and I will absolutely murder the fuck out of any little shit that thinks he's going to impregnate one of them.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:56:24 AM EDT
[#40]
a father is the greatest thing in a woman's life and it should start from day one.
sing to her, tell her silly jokes, lots of kisses and hugs, tell her you will always love her. tell her no matter what you will come running.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 7:48:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
1: Buy a squeegee to facilitate removing excess estrogen from walls .Since you have ~12 years, buy more than one....

2: Prepare safe room for that week . Vault door 3 ft thick minimum

3: Buy industrial strength roto rooter for hair/drain issues

4: Prepare alibis for SSS boy issues.

5: Buy lots of Grecian formula , or be prepared for major graying issues ....

Dad of two grown daughters.
View Quote

Raised a pair and Steel has nailed it.  Also, with two daughters you get to be bald and gray...
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 8:56:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Show her how a man should treat a lady by being the example, she will learn from how you treat your wife, how men should treat her.
View Quote

THIS

Girls grow up looking  for a man just like dad.  Be just like the man you want your daughter to date and marry. (Yes, she will go thru a bad-boy-dating phase but she will grow out of it when she realizes he doesn't measure up to you)

ETA:  I have an 8yo girl.  I have been wrapped around her finger ever since the doc handed her to me.  Looks just like her mom.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top