Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/29/2015 11:27:47 AM EDT

This is a rare working example of Mattel's 1966 M-16 Marauder. It is in "played with condition" meaning that there are no cracks or major defects. Just the usual amount of wear found on a toy it's age. The cocking lever pulls back and with a squeeze of the trigger it unleash's [sic] a loud machine gun sound.
The sticker is still on the stock as well as the clip. Please see pictures above. This is the one you will receive. As per Ebay policy this is a non firing toy gun that can not be made to fire any projectiles.
View Quote

Auction Listing

After seeing a GD mention of these a while back I decided to see what the going rate was.  If it had been under $100 I might have considered buying one.  I had something like this, if not actually one of these.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:38:13 AM EDT
[#1]
$47.35 for postage too.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:42:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I had a number of them when I was young. Broke the barrels off nearly everyone. I was no John Wayne though - all of my breaks were accidents.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:25:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Local antique store has some, as well as Crosman AIR 17 pellet guns. Looks like the $200 price they're asking isn't far off.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:31:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Ha!  I had one of those when I was a kid.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:37:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I had one of those too. I think it was $7.99. My parents had a rule that if I wanted to buy something over $5, I had to get permission (this was 1968, I think). I didn't, and I bought it anyway.  Had to wait a month for it to come out of the Parental Impound Closet, then I was GTG.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:51:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Let's face it. Most only know the thingy that holds the cartridges is a clip.  A mag is National Geographic.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:05:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Funny thing, lots of the younger generation of gun owners get their panties in a bunch about the whole clip vs. magazine thing yet I know plenty of vets who use the term clips for anything that holds bullets.  Prime example, my neighbor growing up was a mustang who had lied about his age to go join the army and fight in WWII, he fought in Korea then retired as a combat decorated major in the 60s.  Well into his 90s he still owns his 1911, his M1 Carbine and a Garand (along with several other guns) and he refers to everything that holds bullets as a clip.  Who honestly gives a flying fuck what someone, especially a man who fought his way across Europe and then Korea, wants to call it?  FWIW, he still speaks highly of the Carbine and will tell you that anyone who spouts off about the carbine bullets not penetrating frozen Korean jackets is full of shit and they either missed or weren't really there.  Similarly he'll tell you that if 230gr .45acp ball ammo didn't stop the bad guys it was because you missed or you didn't put enough rounds in him.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:15:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:26:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had one of those too. I think it was $7.99. My parents had a rule that if I wanted to buy something over $5, I had to get permission (this was 1968, I think). I didn't, and I bought it anyway.  Had to wait a month for it to come out of the Parental Impound Closet, then I was GTG.

View Quote

Kid NFA Jail?
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:26:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The obvious conclusion from your post is that vets don't know what they are talking about.  
]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Funny thing, lots of the younger generation of gun owners get their panties in a bunch about the whole clip vs. magazine thing yet I know plenty of vets who use the term clips for anything that holds bullets.  Prime example, my neighbor growing up was a mustang who had lied about his age to go join the army and fight in WWII, he fought in Korea then retired as a combat decorated major in the 60s.  Well into his 90s he still owns his 1911, his M1 Carbine and a Garand (along with several other guns) and he refers to everything that holds bullets as a clip.  Who honestly gives a flying fuck what someone, especially a man who fought his way across Europe and then Korea, wants to call it?  FWIW, he still speaks highly of the Carbine and will tell you that anyone who spouts off about the carbine bullets not penetrating frozen Korean jackets is full of shit and they either missed or weren't really there.  Similarly he'll tell you that if 230gr .45acp ball ammo didn't stop the bad guys it was because you missed or you didn't put enough rounds in him.

The obvious conclusion from your post is that vets don't know what they are talking about.  
]

Even Remington and Marlin call them clips. Buy a Marlin .17 HMR and it has a tag on the barrel saying "free 7 shot clip". Buy a magazine for a Remington 581 and it's in a package that says "clip magazine".
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:31:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Let's face it. Most only know the thingy that holds the cartridges is a clip.  A mag is National Geographic.
View Quote

QFT.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:31:30 PM EDT
[#12]
John Wayne broke my dad's

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:35:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I came here to post something similar. My FIL was an MP assigned to Hue. He calls the things clips. AFAIK, he can call them whatever he wants.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:40:39 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

Wow.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:48:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I came here to post something similar. My FIL was an MP assigned to Hue. He calls the things clips. AFAIK, he can call them whatever he wants.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think when they served/how long they were in/what their actual job was has something to do with it too.

My great-uncle Bob was in the 1st Infantry Div. from North Africa to Sicily to Normandy and into Germany, he called everything a "clip" but it makes more sense for a WWII guy to call things clips because most of them used M1s, plus as badass as he was he could call them "bullet bunkers" as far as I'm concerned. The same with my dad's uncles who fought in the ETO, all in combat units, but WWII and Army so everything was a "clip." On the other hand, my great-uncle Sergio was a Marine rifleman in WWII from Guadalcanal to Okinawa, he referred to magazines and clips the "right" way by GD standards, so I'm guessing they were just taught differently in the Marines as opposed to the Army. My uncle George did 2 tours in Vietnam first with the 173rd Airborne Bde. and then 101st, he refers to them the "right" way too. My mom's cousin was also in Vietnam, he was an MP and calls everything "clips" but I don't think he ever fired a shot in anger.

So basically it's hit or miss, but guys that were in WWII seem to trend more to using clip, while people later that were in combat units seem to get it more "right" while ones that weren't don't. At least from what I've seen from the older vets in my family.

ETA: And I put "right" in quotation marks for a reason. As far as I'm concerned anyone who fought the Nazis, Imperial Japanese, North Koreans, Chinese, NVA, VC, etc. can call the device that holds their bullets any damn thing that they want, they've earned it.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:51:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Small wonder older folks say clip.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:56:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I had a number of them when I was young. Broke the barrels off nearly everyone. I was no John Wayne though - all of my breaks were accidents.
View Quote

Same here, I had one like John Wayne broke that the barrel broke off a short time after I had it, same with my cousin's, they weren't constructed to a high enough standard to hold up to things like bayonet thrusts. Yeah we used to tape those Bowie looking rubber knives that they used to have to barrels on most of our toy guns to poke with, we were strange kids...

I also had 2 more dimensionally proper but non-electronic toy M-16s and the barrels wound up breaking off both of those as well, not sure if it was from bayonets or not but in the '70s the barrel on all M-16 toys was generally the weak spot from our experience. Same with the electronic Uzi I had, no bayonet on it but somehow I smacked it off a tree or something and the barrel broke off, that was the one that pissed me off to no end.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:03:51 PM EDT
[#18]
called it a clip instead of a magazine?

everybody grab your pitchforks.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:09:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Clips are used in M1 battle rifles and girls hair.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:31:24 PM EDT
[#20]

No different than calling a car part a doohicky or a computer part a widget. It's colloquial.  Colloquial is for amateurs. Call it what you want but I'm going to roll my eyes in righteous indignation.  I don't give a shit if you served or not.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:38:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This is a rare working example of Mattel's 1966 M-16 Marauder. It is in "played with condition" meaning that there are no cracks or major defects. Just the usual amount of wear found on a toy it's age. The cocking lever pulls back and with a squeeze of the trigger it unleash's [sic] a loud machine gun sound.
The sticker is still on the stock as well as the clip. Please see pictures above. This is the one you will receive. As per Ebay policy this is a non firing toy gun that can not be made to fire any projectiles.
View Quote

Auction Listing

After seeing a GD mention of these a while back I decided to see what the going rate was.  If it had been under $100 I might have considered buying one.  I had something like this, if not actually one of these.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Xp8AAOSwcBhWWG7K/s-l1600.jpg
View Quote

OP describes plastic toy as M16. Complains about someone else's description.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:05:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Auction Listing

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Xp8AAOSwcBhWWG7K/s-l1600.jpg

Good point.  The eBay seller should have used the Mattel stock number in both the title and the description instead.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:49:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:53:42 AM EDT
[#24]
I think we should start calling them "snaps" as that is the sound thy mag makes when inserting it.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:56:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:04:31 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
But they "ping" when they pop out of a Garand and the enemy can hear it.  That's when they  jump out and shoot you while you reload
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think we should start calling them "snaps" as that is the sound thy mag makes when inserting it.  

But they "ping" when they pop out of a Garand and the enemy can hear it.  That's when they  jump out and shoot you while you reload
It's dangerous when they become unclipped.  IIRC, aren't those devices inserted into the rifle instead of being clipped to it? I wonder where the term "clip" originated as it doesn't really make any sense even as a verb.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:09:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Next someone will tell us they're now supposed to be called tablets since magazines are dying.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:16:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

]

Even Remington and Marlin call them clips. Buy a Marlin .17 HMR and it has a tag on the barrel saying "free 7 shot clip". Buy a magazine for a Remington 581 and it's in a package that says "clip magazine".

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/018/467/1355331549061.jpg

THis is GD
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:19:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:57:13 AM EDT
[#30]
When I was a little kid, a lot of the grownups were WWII, Korea and Vietnam vets.

They all called a magazine a "clip", it was just their slang word.

I grew up thinking it was called a clip.

Probably using the word as a universal term for magazines came from the en-bloc clip used in the Garand.

It seems no different to me than any of the other 100,000 slang terms people use.

It's kind of ghey how bunched up people get over it.

When the gun owners in the USA became 100% uber-elite and tactical in the 1990s, it introduced a strong element of puffed up fussy gheyness to the hobby.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:07:30 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Next someone will tell us they're now supposed to be called tablets since magazines are dying.
View Quote
lol  Take two before bed time and call me in the morning...........except in New Jersey.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:10:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

My gun store had some Marlin magazines for sale last week. The packaging described it as a clip. OP, your cause is hopeless, even the gun industry calls them clips.

Clip: metal form that holds ammunition and is inserted into a gun.
Magazine: metal form that holds ammunition and is inserted into a gun.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:17:47 PM EDT
[#33]
I had one when I was a kid, till the neighbor girl took it and smashed it against a tree.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:30:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I had one when I was a kid, till the neighbor girl took it and smashed it against a tree.
View Quote

Alpha as fuk!!! Did she piss on it, or you afterward

I dont get the whole clip/mag thing, ranks right up there with the awd/4wd in my book.
With cars, its usually the pcar dbag types that feel the need to make the distinction. Guessing similar here.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:31:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was inside getting a drink and came outside to find it like that.  I didn't witness it, but she was ratted out by her brother.   Their dad had to buy me another.   I was like 8? 9?

Not really an alpha thing, man.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:17:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Listing appears to be dead, new one listed.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 12:39:27 PM EDT
[#37]
The other day somebody told me that they needed to make a Xerox of a document.

So I said, in a grating nasal voice, "You mean you need to make a xerographic photocopy of a document?"

Then everyone in the room started nodding their head a little in approval.

Then one person had the inner courage to start clapping.

Then the clapping slowly built up into a thundering roar of applause.

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 12:45:03 PM EDT
[#38]
It doesn't matter how many times we try to correct people in mag vs clip...people are going to call them what they want to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top