Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:17:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:20:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes.

I've gotten halfway decent at faking it, though.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:21:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:24:31 PM EDT
[#5]
not sure///
people tend to annoy me and i am happiest alone or at most with one or two other people...

ETA:  Must of my work week involves dealing with tons of people that are pretty needy, so when not at work I tend to seek out solitude
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:30:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, and I became an asshole to keep most people away( though I am polite to strangers as they wont try to be my friend).  People  think I am in a bad mood or angry when inside I am very happy because they are not bothering me with their trite small talk bullshit. I used to try to fake it and politely avoid things like invites, topic-less discussions, etc., it just wore me out and annoyed me more, I gave up on that and am much more content since. 40 hours a week of occasional conversation with one other coworker is all I can tolerate.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:38:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

No.

Its just the way I am. Its neither good nor bad. I CAN socialize but I HATE doing it. I despise "chatting" for no reason and view it as a complete and total waste of time. My father in law, a man I like, can have idol chatter for hours and hours and hours. He is 180 degrees from me and interacting with him exhausts me physically and mentally. If he is in a situation where he HAS to be quiet it will wear on him.

People are different, no right or wrong way to be IMO. I will say that most extroverts I know view me as being "broken" and that does annoy me quite a bit. They seem to think that they have it "right' and introversion is anti social.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

do you self described introverts see that as a negative trait?
No.

Its just the way I am. Its neither good nor bad. I CAN socialize but I HATE doing it. I despise "chatting" for no reason and view it as a complete and total waste of time. My father in law, a man I like, can have idol chatter for hours and hours and hours. He is 180 degrees from me and interacting with him exhausts me physically and mentally. If he is in a situation where he HAS to be quiet it will wear on him.

People are different, no right or wrong way to be IMO. I will say that most extroverts I know view me as being "broken" and that does annoy me quite a bit. They seem to think that they have it "right' and introversion is anti social.
Have you ever read the book Quiet: The power of introverts in a world that can't stop talking?

Author basically postulated the same. The reason why extroverted personalities are considered the norm is because the world, especially the US, is set up to be much more extrovert friendly. Look at how most people climb an organization's ladder, people skills.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I spend my time at work dealing with people and that is very draining. I usually spend my first day alone doing my thing, then I can deal with people.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:42:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If I had the energy I could probably dance into the white house. Honestly though being in large groups of people is more physical draining then working.
View Quote

See my fucking avatar.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:44:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Yes.

I've gotten halfway decent at faking it, though.

View Quote

Yes.

ETA: For whatever reason though I am an excellent public speaker and have been told this many, many times.  I'm not sure how I do it but as long as I'm fairly comfortable with the material I can do it and keep people interested despite PowerPoint.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:47:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I prefer being alone but I do really well in groups
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:52:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:55:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm extremely introverted. I don't really like it, but it's not something I can change.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:59:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Nope.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:02:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Yep, very much so.

Less antisocial than selectively social through.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:07:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I would rather be at home working on my property than anything. Today I opted to stay home with my son who is sick while my wife and other kids go to the in laws. We are going to watch True Grit. I'll probably burn some stuff later. I don't have a problem with people necessarily, but would rather avoid large crowds.

From wiki, I probably fit this description.

Introverts often take pleasure in solitary activities such as reading, writing, cutting wood, using computers, burning shit, hiking and fishing. The archetypal artist, writer, sculptor, engineer, composer and inventor are all highly introverted. An introvert is likely to enjoy time spent alone and find less reward in time spent with large groups of people, though he or she may enjoy interactions with close friends. Trust is usually an issue of significance: a virtue of utmost importance to introverts is choosing a worthy companion. They prefer to concentrate on a single activity at a time and like to observe situations before they participate, especially observed in developing children and adolescents. They are more analytical before speaking. Introverts are easily overwhelmed by too much stimulation from social gatherings and engagement, introversion having even been defined by some in terms of a preference for a quiet, more minimally stimulating external environment.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:12:34 PM EDT
[#17]
If you have more than 30 to 50k posts on any Internet forum you are an introvert.

No way in hell you can keep a job, woman satisfied, raise kids properly or home maintained if you have that many posts.

You have to be some basement dweller if it's over 50 and if it's over 100k you are cartman  in the basement hooked on the Internet

"Ma, ma, bathroom"

Shit splatters in bed pan

"You are such a big boy"

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:13:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes....moved to a new house a year ago so the few people who knew me would stop coming buy when they want something.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:17:09 PM EDT
[#19]
used to love being social and having people around all the time, now, not so much.

introverted for sure.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:34:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:42:32 PM EDT
[#21]
"Extroverts" mostly talk about themselves, while "introverts" mostly talk about other things. Does that seem right to you?
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:49:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I just don't like people.
View Quote

This. Fuck most people, their shitty Facebook centered
loser lives.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:55:43 PM EDT
[#23]
tldr.   My social life is the internet.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:56:37 PM EDT
[#24]
I am very introverted, probably from my Asperger's Syndrome or Social Phobia/Anxiety. I also have pretty bad OCD that makes it really hard for me and other people to work with me on any project because nothing can be perfect enough. Other than odd jobs I have never had a real job, I would never survive a job interview anyway.

ARFCOM and other forums are pretty much all the social interaction that I can handle. Before becoming a member here, the thought of being a member and posting things that other people could see and read scared the sh!t out of me.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:58:49 PM EDT
[#25]
This is my first Thanksgiving alone.  EVER.  Wife of 28 years left 8 months ago.

It's been just another day, but I have enjoyed this TG more than any I can remember.

I miss Her deeply, but, yeah..... I'm an introvert.

I can go weeks without any other interaction, other than my dogs, and be perfectly happy.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 6:12:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend.
View Quote

how did my brain know to read that in Geddys voice?
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 6:23:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This is my first Thanksgiving alone.  EVER.  Wife of 28 years left 8 months ago.

It's been just another day, but I have enjoyed this TG more than any I can remember.

I can go weeks without any other interaction, other than my dogs, and be perfectly happy.
View Quote

I remember your thread. What ended up happening?
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 6:30:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still no major update.  She claims she's going to divorce me after the Holidays.  Still civil.  Still no Attorneys on either side.

I haven't done anything weird, nor has she.  I am still paying all the bills and she isn't spending out of the ordinary.  Just a sad.... SAD...
situation.  I am confident that she doesn't have a boy toy.  She simply snapped.  I am continuing to pray that the Lord will soften her heart.

I am a very sad Man.  Never thought this would happen.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 6:33:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

It has its positive's and negative's.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Still no major update.  She claims she's going to divorce me after the Holidays.  Still civil.  Still no Attorneys on either side.

I haven't done anything weird, nor has she.  I am still paying all the bills and she isn't spending out of the ordinary.  Just a sad.... SAD...
situation.  I am confident that she doesn't have a boy toy.  She simply snapped.  I am continuing to pray that the Lord will soften her heart.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And she just never gave you a reason?
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 7:25:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Yes.

The negatives are it's hard to keep a relationship because it is draining. My ex moved in and it sucked the life out of me. At the end I was wearing double hearing protection to get some piece and quiet.

Also trying to run a business that deals with customers sucks. Thank god I farm.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 7:30:13 PM EDT
[#32]
I like to be alone or with my family.

I am great in groups, especially work related, but during these times I'm "in character."  It takes a lot of energy.  

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 7:31:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Yes and I am in charge at work, it's like pulling double duty & faking it. I hate that aspect of things but I'm addicted to the $$$$, makes me feel like a fraud sometimes.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 7:34:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

yes an no...

yes because at the age of 48 I am still single...I've had girlfriends, but in the end just found longterm relationships draining.  even friendships with males i find draining as often times people just seem to want/expect too much from you.

no because i like the freedom that being an introvert gives me...the ability to do what i want, when i want, the freedom to engross myself in a subject and learn as much as i can about it before moving onto something else.  this is reinforced when i look at the people i know who are more extrovert in nature, and how they spend most of their free time by drinking and partying and I am just like "no thanks" , not for me.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 7:35:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Yes.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 7:35:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think it is a negative thing, but like someone else mentioned, others see it that way.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 7:40:07 PM EDT
[#37]
I tested with the INTJ personality profile.  My wife, who happens to be a Social worker, didn't believe it, so she had me take another test.  Same result, INTJ personality profile.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 7:46:52 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Yep, very much so.

Less antisocial than selectively social through.
View Quote

Fits me to a T, I think.

Not entirely anti-social. But I find that the older I get, the more I hate dealing with most people. I can interact just fine. I just prefer not to, unless there is a degree of trust established.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 7:47:11 PM EDT
[#39]

Introvert and proud of it.

I just don't like people.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 7:47:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Yes, and i am a outside sales person for a machine gun rental range.  I am in constant conflict.....

Last week I put myself out on a large busy street median and was barking like a carnival barker to any one that passed.   "We have AR's AK's H&K's, Belt fed M60's Browning 1919's, real guns real bullets! Come have some fun after the convention folks!

I can only do this if i go in to "barker mode".  Otherwise it is a real struggle to engage people, and with the reactions i get while making random visits to places to drop off some info, It can get kind of disparaging.
View Quote

I have the same issue. In my own time, I do not typically like to be around people, yet I'm the manager of my store, which is retail.

All day every day I have to initiate conversations with customers, often strangers. Because I'm in work mode, it's very easy for me, but I find it very difficult to talk to people outside of work, even my regular customers who I have no issue talking with when they're in the store.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 7:48:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I don't think it is a negative thing, but like someone else mentioned, others see it that way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Strangers often think your stand offish because you don't talk much, then again you don't really give two shits, so that's positive.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 7:53:17 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

All day every day I have to initiate conversations with customers, often strangers. Because I'm in work mode, it's very easy for me, but I find it very difficult to talk to people outside of work, even my regular customers who I have no issue talking with when they're in the store.
View Quote
This!! I worked retail and never had issues (though I didn't enjoy it). Even working overseas with 3 other people in a trailer was almost too much, I burned out on it quickly. If it was always people I got along with it was fine, but it usually wasn't.

This is why I've worked night security longer than any other profession. I like being alone without people bugging me.

Most people REALLY don't understand introversion, especially extroverts. It took a long disappearance on Christmas one year for my mom to figure it out

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 8:05:06 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm very introverted. There are a few people that I really enjoy being around. If you aren't one of them, go away.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 8:11:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Yep, although most peoples' idea of what an introvert is is way offline.
View Quote

Yes, I am. Please note that an introvert is not the same as a shy person. In my case, it simply means that I need time alone every day to think and reflect without interruption. It used to make my ex crazy that I could spend hours alone without being lonely.

Here's the introduction to a classic article explaining what introverts are and are not:

"Do you know someone who needs hours alone every day? Who loves quiet conversations about feelings or ideas, and can give a dynamite presentation to a big audience, but seems awkward in groups and maladroit at small talk? Who has to be dragged to parties and then needs the rest of the day to recuperate? Who growls or scowls or grunts or winces when accosted with pleasantries by people who are just trying to be nice?

If so, do you tell this person he is "too serious," or ask if he is okay? Regard him as aloof, arrogant, rude? Redouble your efforts to draw him out?

If you answered yes to these questions, chances are that you have an introvert on your hands—and that you aren't caring for him properly. Science has learned a good deal in recent years about the habits and requirements of introverts. It has even learned, by means of brain scans, that introverts process information differently from other people (I am not making this up). If you are behind the curve on this important matter, be reassured that you are not alone. Introverts may be common, but they are also among the most misunderstood and aggrieved groups in America, possibly the world."

More at the link:

Caring For Your Introvert - The Atlantic

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 8:15:12 PM EDT
[#45]
I am.

It makes work difficult at times.....I don't have issues dealing with my employees but idle chit chat and interactions with customers  that I dont know is mentally draining. Realistically I'm more intellect than most people that have a position similar to mine, but I get beat in social skills every time.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 8:19:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yes, I am. Please note that an introvert is not the same as a shy person. In my case, it simply means that I need time alone every day to think and reflect without interruption. It used to make my ex crazy that I could spend hours alone without being lonely.

Here's the introduction to a classic article explaining what introverts are and are not:

"Do you know someone who needs hours alone every day? Who loves quiet conversations about feelings or ideas, and can give a dynamite presentation to a big audience, but seems awkward in groups and maladroit at small talk? Who has to be dragged to parties and then needs the rest of the day to recuperate? Who growls or scowls or grunts or winces when accosted with pleasantries by people who are just trying to be nice?

If so, do you tell this person he is "too serious," or ask if he is okay? Regard him as aloof, arrogant, rude? Redouble your efforts to draw him out?

If you answered yes to these questions, chances are that you have an introvert on your hands—and that you aren't caring for him properly. Science has learned a good deal in recent years about the habits and requirements of introverts. It has even learned, by means of brain scans, that introverts process information differently from other people (I am not making this up). If you are behind the curve on this important matter, be reassured that you are not alone. Introverts may be common, but they are also among the most misunderstood and aggrieved groups in America, possibly the world."

More at the link:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More at the link:

I have a friend that's extrovert and highly intelligent, she once told me that I recharge my batteries by being alone. Made sense to me.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Depends on the environment.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 8:22:44 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

More at the link:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

More at the link:

This is what I usually give to people that have trouble understanding:

I've already been told by multiple people that introversion is BS

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 8:24:45 PM EDT
[#49]
I cannot stand people asking me if I'm mad hecause I don't feel like engaging in stupid small talk.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 8:26:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I am.

It makes work difficult at times.....I don't have issues dealing with my employees but idle chit chat and interactions with customers  that I dont know is mentally draining. Realistically I'm more intellect than most people that have a position similar to mine, but I get beat in social skills every time.
View Quote

This.

X10000
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top