Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/13/2015 8:52:57 AM EDT
I have not found the video online yet but this morning (13 Oct 2015) on World News Now they showed a video of an SUV that is out of control while passing the cops vehicle then goes off the right side of the road and flips.

Reportedly the woman was texting and looked up in time to see that she would hit the patrol car.  I am assuming that she over corrected which set up the action in the video.

I am a proponent of conducting these stops in a safe place.  If that means driving ten minutes to get to an exit and shopping center or similar safe place then do it.

We don't need cops killed or injured by inattentive drivers and changing how these stops are made should safe lives.   Personally, I am not stopping on a road where cars are going by at 60-90 MPH and people are looking at their phone instead of driving.  

I will continue looking for the video.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:01:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have not found the video online yet but this morning (13 Oct 2015) on World News Now they showed a video of an SUV that is out of control while passing the cops vehicle then goes off the right side of the road and flips.

Reportedly the woman was texting and looked up in time to see that she would hit the patrol car.  I am assuming that she over corrected which set up the action in the video.

I am a proponent of conducting these stops in a safe place.  If that means driving ten minutes to get to an exit and shopping center or similar safe place then do it.

We don't need cops killed or injured by inattentive drivers and changing how these stops are made should safe lives.   Personally, I am not stopping on a road where cars are going by at 60-90 MPH and people are looking at their phone instead of driving.  

View Quote

I am a cop, and this has to be one of the dumbest thing I've ever heard. First, usually exits are at mile intervals. Second, we can what if this to death, but when an officer activates his lights, you stop as soon as reasonable. We specifically choose when to light someone up for a reason. Stop there.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:02:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:06:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

lol

Let me know how that works out for you.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:07:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

We will be seeing video of you "fleeing " the police one day.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:09:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I love all the folks going alpha and "The law says" even when a guy is quite obviously stating what and why.

But at least you'll have a nice funeral when the guy stops on a blind curve.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:17:03 AM EDT
[#6]
People steer directly into objects on the side of the road all the time.  Your steering subconsciously will follow your eyes.  Guess what everyone on the road is rubbernecking at.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:20:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I am a cop, and this has to be one of the dumbest thing I've ever heard. First, usually exits are at mile intervals. Second, we can what if this to death, but when an officer activates his lights, you stop as soon as reasonable. We specifically choose when to light someone up for a reason. Stop there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

You don't think it's a good idea for me to keep driving until I find a good spot.

This is what happened to OJ right?

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:21:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Cop here.

If you stop somewhere in an unsafe position I can exit my vehicle and tell you to move or I can get on the speaker and tell you to move.

I do appreciate the thought though.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:23:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Here in MI, there is no exception in the law to stop anywhere other than where the officer initiated the stop.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:24:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

People steer directly into objects on the side of the road all the time.  Your steering subconsciously will follow your eyes.  Guess what everyone on the road is rubbernecking at.
View Quote
I have believed ever since the obnoxiously bright police lights have come out, that at night, you are almost drawn into those strobe/LED lights.  They are so bright, you see nothing else at all, and are naturally drawn into them.

Do they have day/night settings?  During the day, I understand that the brighter, the better; more or less.  But at night, they are literally blinding.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:26:42 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I have believed ever since the obnoxiously bright police lights have come out, that at night, you are almost drawn into those strobe/LED lights.  They are so bright, you see nothing else at all, and are naturally drawn into them.

Do they have day/night settings?  During the day, I understand that the brighter, the better; more or less.  But at night, they are literally blinding.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, they generally have high/low power settings.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:26:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Cop here.

If you stop somewhere in an unsafe position I can exit my vehicle and tell you to move or I can get on the speaker and tell you to move.

I do appreciate the thought though.
View Quote

Not that I would do it I'm a good boy.
What happens when someone doesn't move after you stopped them?
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:27:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much this.
Also, while we try to stop them in a place of our choosing, there are plenty of people who drive with their heads up their asses and drive right by where we want them to stop, then slam on their brakes a quarter mile down the road in a place we DIDN'T want them to stop

We aren't going to make someone drive ten minutes away to some other place just because OP thinks its safer.

edit:
having seen the video I amazed that people like OP want to blame the officers involved on stops.
I mean, really,. you don't get a much safer place to stop than that kind of location.
Straight roads, nice wide break down lanes, but OP wants to blame the officer for not making a stopped driver travel ten miles down the road to some other location.
Blame the woman on her cell phone, not the officers
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:29:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1j7vYHVXXXXbNXpXXq6xXFXXXK/90W-Super-Bright-Led-Strobe-Flash-Warning-font-b-Light-b-font-Bar-29-1-Led.jpg

Not that most agencies bother to even wire them in.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:44:10 AM EDT
[#15]
CEDAR CITY, Utah -- The Utah Highway Patrol has released dash camera video that shows just close a trooper came to getting hit in a rollover accident in Cedar City.

Trooper Bambi Baie stopped a car on Interstate 15 near mile post 72 at about 5 p.m. Sunday when another motorist, distracted by a cell phone, drifted off the right shoulder.

“I heard the tire start to squeal,” recalled Baie. “That’s when she started to over correct to the left.”

UHP said the 55-year-old woman from Cedar City looked up just in time to see the trooper's car, swerved to the left and then over-corrected, which caused her vehicle to go off the road and roll several times. Story
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:48:55 AM EDT
[#16]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
CEDAR CITY, Utah -- The Utah Highway Patrol has released dash camera video that shows just close a trooper came to getting hit in a rollover accident in Cedar City.

Trooper Bambi Baie stopped a car on Interstate 15 near mile post 72 at about 5 p.m. Sunday when another motorist, distracted by a cell phone, drifted off the right shoulder.

“I heard the tire start to squeal,” recalled Baie. “That’s when she started to over correct to the left.”

UHP said the 55-year-old woman from Cedar City looked up just in time to see the trooper's car, swerved to the left and then over-corrected, which caused her vehicle to go off the road and roll several times. Story

https://youtu.be/vUUOu5JAgjc

Did the speeder(alleged and assumed) get a pass?
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:49:37 AM EDT
[#17]
View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://youtu.be/vUUOu5JAgjc

1:18
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:49:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not from  the looks of things. The LEO tossed the ticket through the passenger door before running towards the wreck
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:51:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Not from  the looks of things. The LEO tossed the ticket through the passenger door before running towards the wreck
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good catch.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:53:59 AM EDT
[#20]
GA we have move over law. Big ole fine on that charge.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:49:54 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Traffic Cops...

"Hey Mom! Signing is not an admission of guilt. "

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:55:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol. At least you know to be prepared to live with the consequences of not stopping when the lights come on. I don't think the "I'm special I don't have to stop until a shopping center" defense will work well
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:57:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Traffic Cops...  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Traffic Cops...  

I've wrote thousands of tickets and never had the driver sign a single one. I write "served" on their signature blank and hand it to them. Giving them a pen and telling them to sign gives them a reason to stall and bitch and Moan and prolong the stop and I'm not doing that game
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:59:37 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I've wrote thousands of tickets and never had the driver sign a single one. I write "served" on their signature blank and hand it to them. Giving them a pen and telling them to sign gives them a reason to stall and bitch and Moan and prolong the stop and I'm not doing that game

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Traffic Cops...  

Florida used to require it until a few years back for all traffic citations. Now, it's only on criminal citations.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:05:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Florida used to require it until a few years back for all traffic citations. Now, it's only on criminal citations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can see why someone thought it was a good idea to have folks sign them, I also really see why it's not a great idea in practice.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:08:43 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I can see why someone thought it was a good idea to have folks sign them, I also really see why it's not a great idea in practice.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Last month, my shift partner had a woman argue with him, in open traffic court, that my partner was NOT the officer who wrote her the citation. This after being shown his copy of the citation with HER signature on it, her copy with HIS signature on it, and body cam video of the incident in which he spoke to her and she signed the citation.

Sometimes, even a signature can't refute stupid.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:12:33 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm that guy that refuses to stop on a major highway with heavy & fast traffic.  Instead I will exit off the highway and stop in a safe location so all parties are safe - if need be, I'll call 911 and notify my intentions.  I first did this when I was a teenager - drove a mile to exit at a rest stop and the trooper walked up, reached inside my window, shook my hand, thanking me for making all parties safe.  So I continued to follow this method and have had various responses over the years.  One cop gave me my ticket, then started the lecture/threats, and even yelled at my young daughter.  After another cop gave me a ticket, I politely asked why he didn't want me to exit the interstate and he explained it was much easier for him to stay on the highway to get more speeders - exiting the highway and even running my plates was a waste of his time.  He wasn't worried about oncoming cars or an unknown driver because he was "specially trained"...

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:18:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I've done that and had people refuse to move to better/safer spot.

Quoted:
I've wrote thousands of tickets and never had the driver sign a single one.

Ours had a line for it but it wasn't mandatory so I never once had someone sign. Would just lead to more headaches.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:22:29 AM EDT
[#29]
I have been pulled over and then instructed to get off the freeway By CHP.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:40:33 AM EDT
[#30]
With the amount of people I see on the freeway looking at their smart phone/ tablet everyday I'm surprised it doesn't happen on MOST traffic stops.

I saw a women the other day with what appeared to be a 10 inch tablet attached to her steering wheel watching video while doing 50mph in a 65mph zone.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:44:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

The driver texting is the safety issue.  She is just as much a danger to the motoring public on the road as to the officer on the side of the road.  Cops were getting hit before cellular devices were in common use, some drivers will always find a way to be distracted.  

A lot of states have "move over laws" for multi lane roadways where drivers are required to move into the next lane and free up the lane closest to emergency vehicles that are stopped on the shoulder or roadways.   A lot of people fail to do this as well in my experience.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:55:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1j7vYHVXXXXbNXpXXq6xXFXXXK/90W-Super-Bright-Led-Strobe-Flash-Warning-font-b-Light-b-font-Bar-29-1-Led.jpg

Nor in my AOR..

They are run at the bright as fuck setting..
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:55:47 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I am not a cop and agree with the above reply.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am a cop, and this has to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. First, usually exits are at mile intervals. Second, we can what if this to death, but when an officer activates his lights, you stop as soon as reasonable. We specifically choose when to light someone up for a reason. Stop there.

I am not a cop and agree with the above reply.

And yet, everytime I've done that the cop accuses me of buying time to hide stuff or

delaying for other nefarious activities.

No JACKASS.  Do you want me to stop on the downslope of a hill so a speeding drunk

can slam into both of us!!

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:03:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm that guy that refuses to stop on a major highway with heavy & fast traffic.  Instead I will exit off the highway and stop in a safe location so all parties are safe - if need be, I'll call 911 and notify my intentions.  I first did this when I was a teenager - drove a mile to exit at a rest stop and the trooper walked up, reached inside my window, shook my hand, thanking me for making all parties safe.  So I continued to follow this method and have had various responses over the years.  One cop gave me my ticket, then started the lecture/threats, and even yelled at my young daughter.  After another cop gave me a ticket, I politely asked why he didn't want me to exit the interstate and he explained it was much easier for him to stay on the highway to get more speeders - exiting the highway and even running my plates was a waste of his time.  He wasn't worried about oncoming cars or an unknown driver because he was "specially trained"...

View Quote

Just be aware that 911 usually does not ring directly through to, for example, the highway patrol in most states.  Your call will go to the PSAP (Public Safety Answering Point).  The PSAP is the primary call center for emergency calls based on assigned geographical landline locations or a cell phones call location information.  So my point is if the Highway Patrol is trying to stop you and you dial 911 to tell them that you will stop at the closest safest location, you may be telling that to a Police or Sheriff dispatch center that has no idea of who is stopping you.  For example, in my state if you want to call FHP quickly (ha ha) roads are posted with signs telling you to use *FHP.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:16:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was probably the registration and insurance documents. The violator has to sign tickets before the cop leaves. (In my state )
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:49:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Ours have a low power setting. In my new ride, it's also got a sensor that automatically shuts off the driver's side bank when ever you get in or out. As for signing tickets, not mandatory here. We've got the new electronic ones coming, swipe the card and it populates everything for you. That crash was classic, "Ohhh shit!", stomp on the brakes, then overcorrect. At speed just stay off the damn brakes. Oh, and don't text.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:23:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Just be aware that 911 usually does not ring directly through to, for example, the highway patrol in most states.  Your call will go to the PSAP (Public Safety Answering Point).  The PSAP is the primary call center for emergency calls based on assigned geographical landline locations or a cell phones call location information.  So my point is if the Highway Patrol is trying to stop you and you dial 911 to tell them that you will stop at the closest safest location, you may be telling that to a Police or Sheriff dispatch center that has no idea of who is stopping you.  For example, in my state if you want to call FHP quickly (ha ha) roads are posted with signs telling you to use *FHP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been told the various agencies coordinate with one another.  I've told my daughters to always call 911 and drive to the nearest busy & lighted parking lot if they're getting pulled over at night.  Too many fake cops out there that have used this trick to pull over women.

I don't understand why Texas has a law that requires drivers to slow down and/or move over but doesn't make it a policy (law) that vehicles should not stop on the road or highway, instead drive to the nearest safe parking location.  Apparently our local LE do not have these policies in place.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:32:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I've been told the various agencies coordinate with one another.  I've told my daughters to always call 911 and drive to the nearest busy & lighted parking lot if they're getting pulled over at night.  Too many fake cops out there that have used this trick to pull over women.

I don't understand why Texas has a law that requires drivers to slow down and/or move over but doesn't make it a policy (law) that vehicles should not stop on the road or highway, instead drive to the nearest safe parking location.  Apparently our local LE do not have these policies in place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The reality is thousands of traffic stops are done each day across the country without officers or citizens being struck.  I also can go to some areas where I work and on some rural roads the only place for the driver to pull over for several miles will be a driveway to a private residence.  

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:35:21 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
The reality is thousands of traffic stops are done each day across the country without officers or citizens being struck.  I also can go to some areas where I work and on some rural roads the only place for the driver to pull over for several miles will be a driveway to a private residence.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm fairly sure he's being intentionally obtuse, since the law he proposes would be largely impossible to follow in many places.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:01:13 PM EDT
[#40]
If I feel like I'm being pulled over somewhere unsafe, it's not going to happen. There's almost always a good spot within half a mile.  I don't really give a shit if someone doesn't like it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:03:43 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ours didn't and last November during the Ferguson Festivities on the night of the Grand Jury release I was assisting in a Ferguson PD pursuit and I was blinding EVERYONE near my car.  I bitched about the low setting not being wired to a switch but it hasn't been fixed yet.  

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:04:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I've been told the various agencies coordinate with one another
.  I've told my daughters to always call 911 and drive to the nearest busy & lighted parking lot if they're getting pulled over at night.  Too many fake cops out there that have used this trick to pull over women.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

.  I've told my daughters to always call 911 and drive to the nearest busy & lighted parking lot if they're getting pulled over at night.  Too many fake cops out there that have used this trick to pull over women.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:07:29 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, nevermind what the cops here are telling you. Some Dude somewhere told you that, so it must be true and we're all lying.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:22:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I'm fairly sure he's being intentionally obtuse, since the law he proposes would be largely impossible to follow in many places.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The question also becomes  does he pull over for an emergency vehicle to pass by him or does he also  call 911 and advise them that he will pull over when he reaches an area to safely yield to the emergency vehicle.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:36:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not obtuse at all.  Easy solution - all cars MUST exit a highway when being pulled over.  Simple.  And makes it MUCH safer for traffic to continue safely since people are swerving and slamming on brakes.

I'm not talking rural areas but highly congestive urban areas with little or no safe places to pull over on the highway.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:41:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I should clarify.  I've personally experienced various agencies coordinating with my call since I was moving thru multiple jurisdictions.  Not all places are the same.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 3:00:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The question also becomes  does he pull over for an emergency vehicle to pass by him or does he also  call 911 and advise them that he will pull over when he reaches an area to safely yield to the emergency vehicle.
View Quote

Seriously?  You guys really don't get it.  If I see emergency lights in my rearview mirror or see vehicles coming, I move over out of the way BUT I DO NOT PUT MY CAR IN PARK.  If that vehicle refuses to go around me I'm smart enough to identify a car/ambulance/fire truck/engine and if car I will continue until I safely exit the highway and park in a safe location.

DART was known to get behind cars in HOV lanes with lights on and the driver would immediately cross over the double white lines to exit to the right which turned into an additional ticket for illegally crossing the double white line.  Knowing this, what would you do in this situation?  LE answering this question have to assume that you will be treated like other drivers and no benefit of the doubt (blue line discount) offered.

Based on my personal experience that I've listed, LE attitudes vary so I'll gladly risk upsetting an officer to insure our safety and will be happy to explain this to his supervisors.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 3:12:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Not obtuse at all.  Easy solution - all cars MUST exit a highway when being pulled over.  Simple.  And makes it MUCH safer for traffic to continue safely since people are swerving and slamming on brakes.

I'm not talking rural areas but highly congestive urban areas with little or no safe places to pull over on the highway.
View Quote

You won't have time to call in a safe area in a highly congestive urban area, as you have plenty of safe areas from traffic in such areas to pull over in a short distance.  Also what you may deem safe, may in fact not be what the cop calls safe.

As far as highways, I rarely have had people swerving or hitting breaks.  Never been hit, or had my car hit.  Most every highway I have been on has more than ample room to pull off the road for a safe LE contact.  The rare exceptions are bridges, highway flyovers and places where guard rails are in place.   I frequently drive I-10 from Florida to Mississippi and see all kinds of traffic stops being conducted without anyone being hit.  

I will say this again, the distracted driver is a threat on traffic stops.  They are also threat to motorists and pedestrians without the traffic stop being involved.  Maybe we should have separate roads for distracted drivers, drivers who text, drivers who eat while driving, drivers who apply makeup and so on.  

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 3:14:14 PM EDT
[#49]
If the lights go on, start heading toward the shoulder. It's going to be their ass standing next to the car in traffic, I'm sure they're not going to do so where there is unnecessary risk.

And for heavens sake, if someone is on the shoulder, move over. I see idiots every day on I-80 that blow past vehicles 3 feet away on the shoulder at 75 mph.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 3:16:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most do, but many places don't bother to wire them up.

Back when I had an enforcement car I wired the lights myself so that at night I had two moderately bright, but not blinding, slow alternating reds up high to meet statutory requirements, and a single blue and a single amber slow flashing simultaneously to profile the width of my car, while in the daytime a bunch of others came on----fellow officers who saw my setup at night were amazed at how much my car stood out and was noticeable compared to the blinding blue lightshow blasting from the rear of the regular fleet.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top