Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 10/9/2015 6:36:19 AM EDT
When Robert Murphy said he wanted to try to get his student loan debt erased, the person overseeing his bankruptcy case told him he had a better shot of getting hit by a bus. Now he’s closer than ever to victory.

The unemployed 65-year-old, acting as his own attorney, spent three years appealing his way to the Boston federal court that is now considering his case. A win for Murphy would relieve him of hundreds of thousands of dollars in student debt—and could fundamentally change the way U.S. bankruptcy courts handle borrowers who can't repay college loans.

At the center of Murphy’s battle are federal rules that make it nearly impossible for borrowers to get rid of student loans. Most consumer debt goes away in bankruptcy, which was designed to give Americans and companies a fresh start. But in the 1970s, Congress added new rules to the law that excluded most student debt from that relief. Anyone aiming to discharge student debt in bankruptcy must prove that repaying it would constitute an “undue hardship." Lawmakers never defined an undue hardship, though, so it has been left to the courts to decide just how destitute someone needs to be in order to qualify for relief.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-10-08/this-court-case-could-unshackle-americans-from-student-debt

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-10-08/this-court-case-could-unshackle-americans-from-student-debt
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:42:57 AM EDT
[#1]
So some deadbeat shit who borrowed a ton of money for college for his kids wants to walk away from it.

May he die in poverty and debt.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:43:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I want my mortgage erased, but I'm not a little bitch, so I pay the debt that I signed for.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:45:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I want my mortgage erased, but I'm not a little bitch, so I pay the debt that I signed for.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:50:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Fine.

Create a special category of bankruptcy just for student debt. Anybody can file and be granted relief on the spot.

This would cure the insane cost of secondary education on the fucking spot.

Right now lenders know it's a sure thing that they'll get paid. So money is stupid easy to borrow.

Colleges know it's stupid easy to get it so they jack up the prices.

Financially responsible people can't afford college while idiots run up thousands in debt for liberal arts degrees to wipe asses with.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:53:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

No one is disputing that people should pay their debts, but having the government essentially guarantee all loans institutions issue to students is the one reason why your post-secondary school system is as utterly fucked up as it is. Even all the SJW trigger-warning pajama boy horseshit directly stems from this one enormous market distortion.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:56:00 AM EDT
[#6]
When college loans became cheap and easy colleges were quick to capitalize on the opportunity.

I have a friend that racked up a bunch of CC debt with her husband.  Now she wants to file bankruptcy and walk away YET keep their house, timeshare, cars, etc.

If you sign on the line you owe the dime.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:56:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Proving once again that bankruptcy shouldn't even be on the books...
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:01:46 AM EDT
[#8]
The article title is misleading, what they wantmto do is shackle me to their student debt.

They all knew the terms when the applied for the loans and they reaped the benefit.

Fuck every damned one of them who wants to weasel out of their financial obligations and place them onto the shoulders of others.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:02:04 AM EDT
[#9]
if he wins good, and get the government out of the unsecured debt business

democrats will have to find another way to buy votes
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:04:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Hmmmm ....... how did they get 'shackled' in the first place?

By borrowing money and promising to pay it back?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:05:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Fine.

Create a special category of bankruptcy just for student debt. Anybody can file and be granted relief on the spot.

Right now lenders know it's a sure thing that they'll get paid. So money is stupid easy to borrow.

Financially responsible people can't afford college while idiots run up thousands in debt for liberal arts degrees to wipe asses with.
View Quote

This guy gets it. The current structure is a major reason academia and government are so intertwined.  

Schools should have to hold a portion of every loan on the books. Lent from its foundation. Student can declare bankruptcy on that portion of the loan. It would eliminate pointless majors and drop the cost of secondary education REAL quick.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:06:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote
That unfairly discriminates against liberal arts majors.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:06:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Why do I even pay for shit?  Id love to have that extra 3 grand per month we pay for our daughter's tuition.  Maybe I should just do the irresponsible thing and load her up with debt so she can walk away from it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:08:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The article title is misleading, what they wantmto do is shackle me to their student debt.

They all knew the terms when the applied for the loans and they reaped the benefit.

Fuck every damned one of them who wants to weasel out of their financial obligations and place them onto the shoulders of others.
View Quote

That's become the American way more than apple pie.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:09:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Fuck that noise.

It's a slap in the face for those of us that paid theirs off.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:11:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Actually, bankruptcy (in general) is a critical component of what makes America great. It's based on a premise that the person who is lending their own money out should carry the risk of making a bad loan. Basically, it's personal responsibility. If you're an idiot and make bad loans (when you don't HAVE to lend money), the onus is on you.

A lot of great ideas would never get financing if the downside was you'd pay the rest of your life. When you borrow from "the people," It's a different story. Corruption follows.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:11:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Fine.

View Quote

This is the silver lining, although it costs a trillion dollars. I'm not sure how much of the 1.2 T would be lost in bankruptcy but if a lot of people started filing, it could open the floodgates. How many could actually qualify for relief is anyone's guess but I'd bet half of that 1.2 trillion could be wiped out and taxpayers would be fucked.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:13:07 AM EDT
[#18]
So take out a huge college loan for the best school you can attend to get the best education you can, graduate, declare bankruptcy, get loan debt erased, get a good job with your free $300,000 dollar education, spend the next 5 years rebuilding your credit and you are living large?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:14:03 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

if he wins good, and get the government out of the unsecured debt business

democrats will have to find another way to buy votes
View Quote
I fear that would just lead to obammy setting in motion free college for all.  So instead of the Feds paying the interest for a few years they will pay the whole bill.  

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:15:22 AM EDT
[#20]
I worked and paid as I went..............nobody else paid it for me
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:15:36 AM EDT
[#21]
these fucking people piss me off. It's called a student LOAN, not student free gift. It's not like the implied repayment is a huge surprise.
fuck that guy and others like him, hope they all get nut or clam cancer.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:15:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Actually, bankruptcy (in general) is a critical component of what makes America great. It's based on a premise that the person who is lending their own money out should carry the risk of making a bad loan. Basically, it's personal responsibility. If you're an idiot and make bad loans (when you don't HAVE to lend money), the onus is on you.

A lot of great ideas would never get financing if the downside was you'd pay the rest of your life. When you borrow from "the people," It's a different story. Corruption follows.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I disagree.
It allows deadbeats to continue being deadbeats.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:16:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Puppetry majors: pay cash up front.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:24:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This is the silver lining, although it costs a trillion dollars. I'm not sure how much of the 1.2 T would be lost in bankruptcy but if a lot of people started filing, it could open the floodgates. How many could actually qualify for relief is anyone's guess but I'd bet half of that 1.2 trillion could be wiped out and taxpayers would be fucked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fine.

Might be worth it. It would pretty much put an end to all these college classes that are nothing more than leftist think tanks and re-education camps. If student loans suddenly became much harder to get, then only people that could truly afford it could go to college. They would also start demanding a real education for their money and flock to the schools that actually provide a useful education. The universities that require all kinds of BS classes in race and gender studies would fall by the wayside and the stupid PC mills and the ridiculous ideas they keep putting out would finally go away. No more teaching everyone that American ideals are evil and racist to generations of youths. People actually learning useful stuff again. Never mind, I'm must be dreaming.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:31:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Fine with me ONLY if it damages a persons credit for the rest of their life. No nice cars or houses for you!
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:32:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So take out a huge college loan for the best school you can attend to get the best education you can, graduate, declare bankruptcy, get loan debt erased, get a good job with your free $300,000 dollar education, spend the next 5 years rebuilding your credit and you are living large?
View Quote

If student loans could be discharged in bankruptcy, there's a REALLY good chance you won't get that huge college loan to begin with, unless:

1. You have outstanding credit. And...
2. You have a shit ton of money to put down. And...
3. You have a wealthy co-signer with awesome credit. And...
4. You manage to convince the lender that the education you're asking them to finance will actually result in a career with a salary sufficient to repay them.

In other words, it would be like any other large unsecured loan - hard as fuck.

Similarly, if easy credit like this dried up, it's almost a given that tuition would drop like a rock over time, negating the need to take out massive loans in the first place.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:33:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

nope, with college loan debt subject to bankruptcy laws you would never have gotten the loan to begin with. far fewer people would attend college and those who did would do so more successfully. the world needs ditch diggers too. I think this is actually a good thing.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:34:33 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote

It should be treated as any other debt would. Including securing it and discharging it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:36:38 AM EDT
[#29]
How many new cars did he buy over the years? Have cable TV/internet? Bought a house?

There's a big difference between not being able to pay and not wanting to pay.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:37:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Might be worth it. It would pretty much put an end to all these college classes that are nothing more than leftist think tanks and re-education camps. If student loans suddenly became much harder to get, then only people that could truly afford it could go to college. They would also start demanding a real education for their money and flock to the schools that actually provide a useful education. The universities that require all kinds of BS classes in race and gender studies would fall by the wayside and the stupid PC mills and the ridiculous ideas they keep putting out would finally go away. No more teaching everyone that American ideals are evil and racist to generations of youths. People actually learning useful stuff again. Never mind, I'm must be dreaming.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fine.

Except they won't be harder to get.
Much like Fanny Mae & Freddie Mac, the .gov will continue to fund loans that they know will never be paid back.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:39:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Fuck that noise.

It's a slap in the face for those of us that paid theirs off.
View Quote

Or didn't go because the costs were outrageous. And now it would become our tax burden.

We need to get the government out of it, and make them pay back their debts.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:39:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Fine with me ONLY if it damages a persons credit for the rest of their life. No nice cars or houses for you!
View Quote

Not really.

I have a friend with a chapter 7 who bought brand new homes and cars.  As a matter of fact, it's like it never happened.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:45:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

hey
my women's study degree saved my life

especially when she reached for the gun, I knew just the right words to say..
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:46:53 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Fine.

View Quote
Yup. Nailed it. Exactly this.  

Yet, somehow this is Reagan's fault.

I would be all-for letting student loans be refinanced a lot easier (and have the new loan still be a student loan) which would cause all sorts of competition amongst the student loan lenders but not affect much else.

Letting someone load up on debt so far that they can't handle it, and then get released from the debt exactly because they can't handle it is basically a Bernie Sanders Free Shit Army Student Loan program.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:47:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Not really.

I have a friend with a chapter 7 who bought brand new homes and cars.  As a matter of fact, it's like it never happened.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really.

generally takes 10 years for a Bankruptcy to go away
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:51:04 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

When college loans became cheap and easy colleges were quick to capitalize on the opportunity.

I have a friend that racked up a bunch of CC debt with her husband.  Now she wants to file bankruptcy and walk away YET keep their house, timeshare, cars, etc.

View Quote
Yup.

University of Wisconsin has a cash on hand reserve of just under one BILLION dollars.

Yet, there is all sorts of squawking about budget cuts from the republican governor.

They could operate for 5 years with no more money at all, giving free tuition to everybody, or they could operate for 100 years at the current level despite rampant inflation if they used that money up.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:56:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really.

But you can walk out of court & get a new credit card immediately so it doesn't really matter to the people who use bankruptcy to walk away from their debts.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:03:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

My wife and I took private loans so we would have bankruptcy protection. They changed the law while we were still in school.

We paid. This bullshit law cost us over $10k.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:07:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

My wife and I took private loans so we would have bankruptcy protection. They changed the law while we were still in school.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you tried to ensure that you could walk away from the loan you took & it didn't work?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:08:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Fine.

View Quote

This. I have student debt, and I'm going to pay it because I signed on the line. But if student loan debts were dischargeable, we would be better off.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:10:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Fine.

View Quote

Pretty much.

Yes, there is a problem with student loan debt in this country.
And yes, they will try (and fail) to solve it by attacking if from all angles except the right one: holding people accountable for their own actions.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:15:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
And yes, they will try (and fail) to solve it by attacking if from all angles except the right one: holding people accountable for their own actions.
View Quote

Including dumbass lenders?

In my world, it would HURT to make a stupid loan to a young adult with little to no proven ability to actually repay the fuckin' thing. Right now, it doesn't.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:19:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

The point is that the education would not have cost $300k without the market distortion this law created.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:21:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

If student loans could be discharged in bankruptcy, there's a REALLY good chance you won't get that huge college loan to begin with, unless:

4. You manage to convince the lender that the education you're asking them to finance will actually result in a career with a salary sufficient to repay them.

Similarly, if easy credit like this dried up, it's almost a given that tuition would drop like a rock over time, negating the need to take out massive loans in the first place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Should have just kept reading.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:21:08 AM EDT
[#45]
I pay $300 a month and have for the last 25 years...still owe 7k..I hope he rots homeless on the street corner.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:21:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Yup.  

University of Wisconsin has a cash on hand reserve of just under one BILLION dollars.

Yet, there is all sorts of squawking about budget cuts from the republican governor.

They could operate for 5 years with no more money at all, giving free tuition to everybody, or they could operate for 100 years at the current level despite rampant inflation if they used that money up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.  

UGA is the same way with a massive bank account and a huge football budget . Yet they keep raising tuition
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:23:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:25:16 AM EDT
[#48]
want something, but doesn't want to pay.

College. Loan. Bankruptcy.

Sex. Pregnant. Abortion.

Everything for free!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:25:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Good, and loans have interest which has a default risk premium building into the rate so that's how finance works.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:27:18 AM EDT
[#50]
get the government out of it entirely and this will self correct.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top