Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:28:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How many new cars did he buy over the years? Have cable TV/internet? Bought a house?

There's a big difference between not being able to pay and not wanting to pay.
View Quote

Where are these kids he put through college? Why aren't they helping their old man out?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:28:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:29:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:29:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Actually, bankruptcy (in general) is a critical component of what makes America great. It's based on a premise that the person who is lending their own money out should carry the risk of making a bad loan. Basically, it's personal responsibility. If you're an idiot and make bad loans (when you don't HAVE to lend money), the onus is on you.

A lot of great ideas would never get financing if the downside was you'd pay the rest of your life. When you borrow from "the people," It's a different story. Corruption follows.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Proving once again that bankruptcy shouldn't even be on the books...

Actually, bankruptcy (in general) is a critical component of what makes America great. It's based on a premise that the person who is lending their own money out should carry the risk of making a bad loan. Basically, it's personal responsibility. If you're an idiot and make bad loans (when you don't HAVE to lend money), the onus is on you.

A lot of great ideas would never get financing if the downside was you'd pay the rest of your life. When you borrow from "the people," It's a different story. Corruption follows.

That actually strictly meets the idea of a command economy.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:30:50 AM EDT
[#5]
As somebody who spent the last 6 years dutifully paying off my MBA student loans (last payment is next month...woohoo!), I say that these deadbeats can go fuck themselves.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:30:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If student loans could be discharged in bankruptcy, there's a REALLY good chance you won't get that huge college loan to begin with, unless:

1. You have outstanding credit. And...
2. You have a shit ton of money to put down. And...
3. You have a wealthy co-signer with awesome credit. And...
4. You manage to convince the lender that the education you're asking them to finance will actually result in a career with a salary sufficient to repay them.

In other words, it would be like any other large unsecured loan - hard as fuck.

Similarly, if easy credit like this dried up, it's almost a given that tuition would drop like a rock over time, negating the need to take out massive loans in the first place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So take out a huge college loan for the best school you can attend to get the best education you can, graduate, declare bankruptcy, get loan debt erased, get a good job with your free $300,000 dollar education, spend the next 5 years rebuilding your credit and you are living large?

If student loans could be discharged in bankruptcy, there's a REALLY good chance you won't get that huge college loan to begin with, unless:

4. You manage to convince the lender that the education you're asking them to finance will actually result in a career with a salary sufficient to repay them.

Similarly, if easy credit like this dried up, it's almost a given that tuition would drop like a rock over time, negating the need to take out massive loans in the first place.

WHAT HE SAID.

That's the way it SHOULD be.

Part of me says this whole fucked up system should be brought down. I think there would be some very good side effects, like people are talking about here.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:31:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

generally takes 10 years for a Bankruptcy to go away
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fine with me ONLY if it damages a persons credit for the rest of their life. No nice cars or houses for you!

Not really.

I have a friend with a chapter 7 who bought brand new homes and cars.  As a matter of fact, it's like it never happened.

generally takes 10 years for a Bankruptcy to go away

True but depending on what your credit looked like before your bankruptcy you could have decent credit sooner.
After my business bankruptcy (everyone got paid, some just were forced to wait till the liquidation) I was getting offers to loan me up to 5 million to purchase new trucks and trailers after 2 years. The interest rate was something Sal and Vito would offer but the offer was there.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:33:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why do I even pay for shit?  Id love to have that extra 3 grand per month we pay for our daughter's tuition.  Maybe I should just do the irresponsible thing and load her up with debt so she can walk away from it.
View Quote

No offense, but perhaps letting her figure out how she is going to pay for her own schooling is the responsible thing?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:37:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So take out a huge college loan for the best school you can attend to get the best education you can, graduate, declare bankruptcy, get loan debt erased, get a good job with your free $300,000 dollar education, spend the next 5 years rebuilding your credit and you are living large?
View Quote

Bingo. This is why bankruptcy is no longer a possibility on student loans. Med school students were going exactly what you described
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:40:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Including dumbass lenders?

In my world, it would HURT to make a stupid loan to a young adult with little to no proven ability to actually repay the fuckin' thing. Right now, it doesn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And yes, they will try (and fail) to solve it by attacking if from all angles except the right one: holding people accountable for their own actions.

Including dumbass lenders?

In my world, it would HURT to make a stupid loan to a young adult with little to no proven ability to actually repay the fuckin' thing. Right now, it doesn't.

Absolutely.  But I don't blame the lenders right now... sure, they're playing the system, but the system is just sitting there expecting to be played.

I don't think there should be any concessions for student debt vs. any other kind, and people should be discouraged from going to school on borrowed money at all.  Get the costs back down to something reasonable, get rid of all the stupid crap (and majors) that's bundled in primarily to suck up money, and it would be a totally different picture.   Quit treating college as High School II, and go back to making it something those with exceptional ambition or talent could strive for if it was ultimately in their best interests.  Ditch this concept that if you don't have a degree, you're simply an unskilled Neanderthal suited only to pick field crops or polish shoes on street corners.

Lots of things that could be done, but won't.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:42:51 AM EDT
[#11]
(edit)

Wait until the Democratic candidates start promising student loan forgiveness.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:43:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
if he wins good, and get the government out of the unsecured debt business

democrats will have to find another way to buy votes
View Quote

You think that would get the government out of student loans?

That only thing that last forever is a government program.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:44:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

nope, with college loan debt subject to bankruptcy laws you would never have gotten the loan to begin with. far fewer people would attend college and those who did would do so more successfully. the world needs ditch diggers too. I think this is actually a good thing.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

nope, with college loan debt subject to bankruptcy laws you would never have gotten the loan to begin with. far fewer people would attend college and those who did would do so more successfully. the world needs ditch diggers too. I think this is actually a good thing.

This is a dream.  You are conflating free market principles with big.gov welfare.  It's a central plank of the democRat party that everyone has a right to as much college as he or she can stomach.  Money should never be the limiting factor, no matter how stupid or unsalable the course of study, or how brain-damaged the student.  The taxpayer has an obligation to underwrite it all.  Making student loans subject to bankruptcy laws wouldn't stem the flood of money by a dime.  Who is going to stop it?  Do you think there's a democRat who would tell anyone their special snowflake is not going to get a full ride to the community college of his choice?  It just means that you and I would be on the hook for even more money when these snowflakes realize it's more free money.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:47:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Ultimately who pays for the default?

Yeah. Screw you, Murphy.

As a father, supporting and guiding two kids thru college right now, I do NOT support the concept of bankruptcy and blanket debt forgiveness.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:48:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So some deadbeat shit who borrowed a ton of money for college for his kids wants to walk away from it.

May he die in poverty and debt.
View Quote

FPNI !!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:49:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want my mortgage erased, but I'm not a little bitch, so I pay the debt that I signed for.

This

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:50:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

hey
my women's study degree saved my life

especially when she reached for the gun, I knew just the right words to say..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmmmm ....... how did they get 'shackled' in the first place?

By borrowing money and promising to pay it back?
That unfairly discriminates against liberal arts majors.  

hey
my women's study degree saved my life

especially when she reached for the gun, I knew just the right words to say..

OK.  That's mildly amusing.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:54:46 AM EDT
[#18]
I think it is a great idea.

If the banks know the debt can get erased they will be much more careful with the loans.  This will cascade and force schools to lower tuition since less loans will be made.

I see it as a win for all of us.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:54:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Fine.

Create a special category of bankruptcy just for student debt. Anybody can file and be granted relief on the spot.

This would cure the insane cost of secondary education on the fucking spot.

Right now lenders know it's a sure thing that they'll get paid. So money is stupid easy to borrow.

Colleges know it's stupid easy to get it so they jack up the prices.

Financially responsible people can't afford college while idiots run up thousands in debt for liberal arts degrees to wipe asses with.
View Quote
Thats essentially been my argument for years. Make it bankruptable, and at the same time remove the government backing from the equation.

Now banks will do actual under writing to determine if a person qualifies for the loan? Timmy with straight A's in HS and persuing a STEM degree? Here you go. Susie with a C average going to a private college for womens studies? Eh... enjoy your crushing interest rate.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:01:11 AM EDT
[#20]

These colleges are too large to fail. Making it legal for citizens or corporations to discharge these debts as they would with any other category of debt will crash the entire education system in this country. No one will be able to learn and your children will suffer for it. Can you imagine a world where your children cannot study a womyns issue class, attend a lecture given by leftists democratic insider or view a documentary about racial discrimination and privilege hierarchies within the Central American rain forest Pygmy societies of the 1890's?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:01:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Where are these kids he put through college? Why aren't they helping their old man out?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How many new cars did he buy over the years? Have cable TV/internet? Bought a house?

There's a big difference between not being able to pay and not wanting to pay.

Shit birds beget shit birds, they aren't going to help. They are out on their own racking up debt to bail on later. Fuck them all.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:02:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:03:21 AM EDT
[#23]
So, making student loans non-dischargeable through bankruptcy was good, but now it's bad?

It's so hard to keep up with the social engineers.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:04:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This guy gets it. The current structure is a major reason academia and government are so intertwined.  

Schools should have to hold a portion of every loan on the books. Lent from its foundation. Student can declare bankruptcy on that portion of the loan. It would eliminate pointless majors and drop the cost of secondary education REAL quick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fine.

Create a special category of bankruptcy just for student debt. Anybody can file and be granted relief on the spot.

Right now lenders know it's a sure thing that they'll get paid. So money is stupid easy to borrow.

Financially responsible people can't afford college while idiots run up thousands in debt for liberal arts degrees to wipe asses with.

This guy gets it. The current structure is a major reason academia and government are so intertwined.  

Schools should have to hold a portion of every loan on the books. Lent from its foundation. Student can declare bankruptcy on that portion of the loan. It would eliminate pointless majors and drop the cost of secondary education REAL quick.

You realize that many student loans, if not most, are backed by the US government?  You may be fine with taxpayers eating the cost, but I'm not.  Fuck that.  Pay your fucking bills.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:04:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

So you tried to ensure that you could walk away from the loan you took & it didn't work?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The article title is misleading, what they wantmto do is shackle me to their student debt.

They all knew the terms when the applied for the loans and they reaped the benefit.

Fuck every damned one of them who wants to weasel out of their financial obligations and place them onto the shoulders of others.

My wife and I took private loans so we would have bankruptcy protection. They changed the law while we were still in school.

We paid. This bullshit law cost us over $10k.

So you tried to ensure that you could walk away from the loan you took & it didn't work?

You know people file bankruptcy for reasons other than laziness, right?

For instance, I or my wife could have been diagnosed with a major illness, or been in an accident. Current law makes it nearly impossible to discharge student debt, even in those cases.

Fuck me for being responsible and trying to make sure that we wouldn't be saddled with tens of thousands of dollars of debt in the event of a major medical issue.

As it is, a student loan provider can garnish payouts from disability insurance.

I know you think this is only about people fucking the system, but it isn't. This is about the government making yet another protected class.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:06:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So, making student loans non-dischargeable through bankruptcy was good, but now it's bad?

View Quote

men
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:07:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I want my mortgage erased, but I'm not a little bitch, so I pay the debt that I signed for.
View Quote

No kidding.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:08:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You realize that many student loans, if not most, are backed by the US government?  You may be fine with taxpayers eating the cost, but I'm not.  Fuck that.  Pay your fucking bills.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fine.

They shouldn't be. That's yet another distortion of the market that needs to go the way of the Dodo.

I'm really tired of people using past government interference in markets as justification for still more government interference, to "fix" what it broke last time.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:11:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:12:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
(edit)

Wait until the Democratic candidates start promising student loan forgiveness.

View Quote

Hasn't Uncle Bernie already floated that?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:13:21 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

They shouldn't be. That's yet another distortion of the market that needs to go the way of the Dodo.

I'm really tired of people using past government interference in markets as justification for still more government interference, to "fix" what it broke last time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fine.

They man was suggesting that colleges would eat the portion of they debt that they hold, and that the college held portion would the only part subject to bankruptcy.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:13:46 AM EDT
[#32]
While I believe you should pay what you agreed to pay, making student debt like normal debt would do wonders for the absolutely fucked college pricing.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:13:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fine.

Maybe they shouldn't be.  But they are.  There is something like 1.2 Trillion dollars in student loans right now.  Call me crazy, but I'm not exactly enthusiastic about adding any of that to the already bloated national debt.  So this "just discharge 'em all and let banks sort 'em out" is not a good solution.  If you want to change how future loans work then fine.  But it is stupid to rape the taxpayers to erase existing loan debt so that pajama boy can have a clean slate.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:14:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

No kidding.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding.

One of the only reasons you got a loan that big in the first place, is because you secured it with real property (your house). If you stop paying, the bank has a way to recover their money. And you lose your house.

You can't take an education away, which is why it should be pretty fuckin' hard to finance $100,000 worth of one. But it isn't at present (thanks Uncle Sam), and that's the problem. If there were no government backing of these loans, and these loans were allowed to be discharged in bankruptcy (like your mortgage is), we wouldn't even be having this conversation. No lender that liked remaining in business would continue making stupid loans.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:19:58 AM EDT
[#35]
The cure for student loan debt is for the federal government to stop loaning money for college.  There would be an instant reduction in college tuition costs across the board.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:21:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

One of the only reasons you got a loan that big in the first place, is because you secured it with real property (your house). If you stop paying, the bank has a way to recover their money. And you lose your house.

You can't take an education away, which is why it should be pretty fuckin' hard to finance $100,000 worth of one. But it isn't at present (thanks Uncle Sam), and that's the problem. If there were no government backing of these loans, and these loans were allowed to be discharged in bankruptcy (like your mortgage is), we wouldn't even be having this conversation. No lender that liked remaining in business would continue making stupid loans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding.

This all the way.  My step-daughter stated she wanted to go into some liberal arts field with about zero chance of employment.  I told her that I would only help pay if she chose something more productive.  This resulted in lots of tears and cries but I told her it was simple; she could decide on another field of study or figure out another way to pay for it herself.  She chose a different field of study and has taken a very minimum amount of loans to this point because of my help.

If there was very hard to finance loans the degree in which my step-daughter was originally interested in would not exist or at least not like it does today at so many universities.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:21:26 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

men
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

men

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:21:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The article title is misleading, what they wantmto do is shackle me to their student debt.

They all knew the terms when the applied for the loans and they reaped the benefit.

Fuck every damned one of them who wants to weasel out of their financial obligations and place them onto the shoulders of others.
View Quote

You do realize that you are talking about America here do you not?

The America you fondly remember died back sometime in the late 80's..........it's not even the same country as it was 50 years ago.

The American dream is so irreparably altered, we should change the sign above the door,
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:30:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fine.

these two guys get it

a big fat supply of easy loan money drives the price of things up

just like the last housing bubble, it was all fueled by a tidal wave of toxic waste bank loans

the difference in  this case is this:

when the banks gave a guy who works at a car wash $500,000 to buy a house, eventually he just walked away and then house sat empty

when the banks give little suzy $250,000 to get a degree in lesbian gender studies at Harvard, she can never walk away from the loan, she'll be paying it out of her starbucks paycheck until she's 1000 years old

so the education price bubble never pops, the money borrowers just drove the prices to the moon and they stayed there

if there were no college loans, how could some shitty regional college charge $44,000 a year for tuition?   who could afford it?

anyway, what's going to happen is that the American taxpayer is going to be forced to pay these mega tuition loans

same as we bailed out the banks

every year that goes by, America becomes more and more like east Germany

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:32:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
get the government out of it entirely and this will self correct.
View Quote

The "problem" will be the hardworking people who actually pay their debts.  

As seen in this thread.  It will create intense rancor to attempt, so it will continue.   As intended.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:34:42 AM EDT
[#41]
The irony using the term "shackled" to describe a debt voluntarily taken on is sweet.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:35:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Absolutely.  But I don't blame the lenders right now... sure, they're playing the system, but the system is just sitting there expecting to be played.

View Quote

Hmm, I wonder if lenders donated to the campaigns of the legislators that passed the laws creating this benefit for the lenders....?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:36:41 AM EDT
[#43]
elect Bernie and all student debt goes away!  Santa Claus really is the devil.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:39:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Fine.

View Quote

THIS
QFT
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:44:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Hmm, I wonder if lenders donated to the campaigns of the legislators that passed the laws creating this benefit for the lenders....?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quite possible, even probable.  Ultimately it's just another level of the game, though, and another indicator of just how badly things are broken.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:47:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

You realize that it was the "US government" that created this mess?  

Many (most??) of the loans would never have been made in a system unfettered by the laws disallowing bankruptcy protection.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:48:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is the government plan.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:49:40 AM EDT
[#48]
They may succeed because of the sentiment that a good many of these schools oversold the value of their "education."  I think that's the strategy anyway...."you're school was crap"
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:49:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:51:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 7
Top Top