Has a mod said which coc was violated?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:23:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Bike Lives Matter?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:24:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The law functioned as designed?  Are you actually serious?

The law was not put in place to cover cops that recklessly and negligantly kill innocent people.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not normally a cop basher, but if I did that exact same thing, I'd be typing this from jail.

Hope the family gets a decent settlement.

You'd be in jail because state law doesn't specifically exempt you from certain laws prohibiting using a computer when you drive. In this case, the law functioned exactly as designed.

The law was not put in place to cover cops that recklessly and negligantly kill innocent people.

Legislators wrote it. Governor signed it. Their intent must have been to shield cops from criminal charges based in use of MDTs.

What other explanation is there?

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:25:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

So you would abandon the rule of law in favor of feels based "morality". Slippery slope there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What are we allowed to say about this??

I'll take a shot at it....

The deputy should be charged.  What a department or state's policy is, or what exemptions they may have, doesn't substitute for morality.

Fact: Guy driving a car allowed something to distract him and that resulted in the death of someone who was just minding his own business.

I just can't imagine that the content of a email was worth the risk of hurting someone, much less was more important than a life.

So you would abandon the rule of law in favor of feels based "morality". Slippery slope there.

As has been pointed out, just because the action that distracted you was legal does not make you immune from negligence charges. Eating a sandwich while driving is not illegal, but if you're so busy stuffing your face that you swerve off the road and run someone over you're still guilty of negligence.

You're trying awful hard to defend this guys actions. You spend a lot of time emailing while driving officer?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:26:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Legislators wrote it. Governor signed it. Their intent must have been to shield cops from criminal charges based in use of MDTs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not normally a cop basher, but if I did that exact same thing, I'd be typing this from jail.

You'd be in jail because state law doesn't specifically exempt you from certain laws prohibiting using a computer when you drive. In this case, the law functioned exactly as designed.

Wow.  I was hoping you were just trolling.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:26:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:27:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

No comment.
View Quote
We cant comment anymore right?

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:30:16 PM EDT
[#8]
What its like to be the kings men.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:31:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What was the purpose of the law ? To make running people over illegal,  or to make using devices while driving illegal? One is not equal to the other.

The law of prohibiting using devices is a law to discourage using devices to try to prevent other crimes of negligence related to that activity.

The purpose of being exempted from the devices law, is to allow LE to continue to perform critical job related duties while driving. That's all.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:34:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That's the whole point of a negligence charge, is it not? Not that your action was inherent unlawful, but rather your performance of said duty was not keeping within a reasonable standard of due diligence.
View Quote

You are correct. This is about as negligent as you can get.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:35:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

But even with that exception the vehicle operator still has a duty to drive without runnung people over because he's distracted.

Unless killing random bikers is a job related activity.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

if i am answering a work related email on my phone, and i hit and kill someone, i'm good to go?

ar-jedi

Can't speak for your state probably covered under distracted driving or vehicular manslaughter.  The state this occurred in the legislature put an exemption to allow law enforcement and I'd assume emergency services such as fire and ems the ability to use electronic communication devices in a moving vehicle.  Some states ban all use of non handsfree equipment so the exemptions are in place to allow for radio use.  Some departments even where it is allowed restrict the use to non-moving and will have administrative penalties for violations.

But even with that exception the vehicle operator still has a duty to drive without runnung people over because he's distracted.

Unless killing random bikers is a job related activity.

Do not forget lying in his report and blaming the dead guy.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:37:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Solution: Lock out computer while car in in drive.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Some departments across the country are already using some of these techniques. In Fort Wayne, Indiana, police officers' in-car computer won't allow them to keep typing after going 10 to 15 miles per hour. And in Fort Worth, Texas, after NBC station KXAS started reporting on the issue, the chief of police ruled that officers aren't allowed to use their computers at all while driving, unless it's an emergency.

When the car is in drive it out to be locked.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:37:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do not forget lying in his report and blaming the dead guy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:38:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Being on lists makes me feel special.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

OP just made the The Secret List.

Tell us that after they strip search you.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:39:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
. a criminal charge is minor and the least of the officers problems.
View Quote

I've never had a client whose first thought was "Oh man, I'm going to lose my job." It's always more like "Oh shit, I might have to serve a bid for this."

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:41:21 PM EDT
[#16]
No comment..........
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:41:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I've never had a client whose first thought was "Oh man, I'm going to lose my job." It's always more like "Oh shit, I might have to serve a bid for this."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There seems to be a direct relatioinsip for most folks between going to jail and losing their job anyways.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:42:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Fixed your typo...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not only did he kill Olin, he lied about it.  He initially claimed that Olin swerved in front of him.  Several days later when confronted with evidence that Olin was in the bike lane at all times, he changed his story.  Way to serve and protect.

Blue lives matter.

Fixed your typo...

Gross negligence, bordering on flatout wanton disregard, doesn't lend credence to that mantra being true with this person.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:44:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yes. What a miscarriage of justice that this asshole wasn't charged criminally.
View Quote

#muhpolicies
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:47:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

There seems to be a direct relatioinsip for most folks between going to jail and losing their job anyways.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but if you had to choose between time behind the wall or unemployment,  which are you taking?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:47:37 PM EDT
[#21]
They are prosecuting Bruce Jenner but not this guy? Both were neglegent. Manslaughter?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:49:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:49:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Some departments across the country are already using some of these techniques. In Fort Wayne, Indiana, police officers' in-car computer won't allow them to keep typing after going 10 to 15 miles per hour. And in Fort Worth, Texas, after NBC station KXAS started reporting on the issue, the chief of police ruled that officers aren't allowed to use their computers at all while driving, unless it's an emergency.

I like it
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:52:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:53:48 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

A bunch of you are posting petty bullcrap. right back at ya'.

There is NOTHING wrong with criticizing this incident and the officer in question. He screwed up. So get over your "WOE IS ME - I MIGHT GET BANNED FOR SAYING BAD THINGS ABOUT A POLICE OFFICER, WAH WAH WAH" nonsense.

If you want to blame someone, blame the city council that came up with the law that makes it OK for cops to drive distracted.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I know what I'd like to say, but nowadays I don't know what I'm allowed to say here.

Membership renewal is coming up...might have to ponder it for a bit.

There is NOTHING wrong with criticizing this incident and the officer in question. He screwed up. So get over your "WOE IS ME - I MIGHT GET BANNED FOR SAYING BAD THINGS ABOUT A POLICE OFFICER, WAH WAH WAH" nonsense.

If you want to blame someone, blame the city council that came up with the law that makes it OK for cops to drive distracted.

Thanks for that. I've been critical of LE in plenty of threads and supportive of LE in plenty of others and I don't expect that to change even after the recent hullabaloo.

If criticizing someone who's done wrong or supporting someone who has done right is going to get me banned, I'm OK with it.

To the best of my knowledge, they haven't changed the CoC to include "thou shalt never speak ill of LE" and until they do I'll proceed as usual.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:55:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know what I'd like to say, but nowadays I don't know what I'm allowed to say here.

Yet i see a system message saying that the thread contained coc violations.

Not even the mods are on the same page about this vague, and unwritten rule
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:55:52 PM EDT
[#27]
So a motorist was reading an electronic device and allowed it to distract his attention from the road that lead to killing someone.

How is this acceptable and not cause for termination of employment and jail time? Who could possibly defend this bullshit? How do they sleep at night!?!

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:56:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Hey! Surprise! Life's not fair.

Am I on the list now?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:56:54 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't understand what the warnings were issued for.

Were those posts deleted?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:57:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nobody made it okay to drive distracted.  All they did was exclude public safety folks from being cited for the device while driving law.  Nowhere in the statutes does it remove the requirement to drive with due regard.

Many folks, including the department that investigated itself, are missing that for accidental or even worse purposeful reasons.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:58:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:00:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Was the thread not unlocked? Are you going to nickel and dime everything? Good friggin' grief.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was the thread not unlocked? Are you going to nickel and dime everything? Good friggin' grief.

Yes, which means someone thought it was CoC violations, and someone didn't. Which was the point.

There's also:

Multiple CoC violations, warnings are coming

Based on what I've read from the thread, I don't even have a hint what posts could have violated any terms of CoC that I'm familiar with.  Were posts removed, or are there new rules I'm not aware of? Because at this point, I don't have any idea what is acceptable to post anymore.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:01:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see that.

Why was it locked in the first place?

I just want to see what is allowed, and what isn't, in cop threads

As evidenced by the lock and unlock, it seems to be a point of confusion for lots of people, even the ones who enforce the rules
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:01:43 PM EDT
[#34]
So I get that he's exempt from the texting/driving law, but what about laws regarding distracted driving?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:01:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Absolutley true.  The deputy could have been filed on by the D.A., fired by his agency, sued by the victim's family, and even filed on by the Federal Govt. for denial of civil rights.  

Yup, some animals are more equal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
some animals are more equal than others

Absolutley true.  The deputy could have been filed on by the D.A., fired by his agency, sued by the victim's family, and even filed on by the Federal Govt. for denial of civil rights.  

Yup, some animals are more equal.

But he won't be because of his status... But the man who accidentally hits a trooper on the sidavof thecroad would be...
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:02:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:02:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be fair, I see a lot of people who are just not sure what is or is not ok anymore. Since the rules appear to be in flux at the mod/staff level that seems reasonable.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:02:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No law excuses the negligence.  There's a reason you can't usually waiver negligence.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:02:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Posts such as yours are the newest version of "Hands up! Don't shoot!"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So what, we aren't allowed to say when a LEO has done wrong around here now? What a joke.

The internet is serious business.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:02:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I may, what posts were the cause of the temporary lock?  I ask because it was reopened and I didn't see any edits.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:03:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP just made the The Secret List.

Is there an express line I can get in?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:03:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
No comment..........
View Quote

Good to know....
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:03:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Good to know....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No comment..........

Good to know....

Yea, that's one I won't miss commenting.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:04:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So what, we aren't allowed to say when a LEO has done wrong around here now? What a joke.

Not being a smartass at all, but is there a particular thread where this stuff gets laid down?

I'm fine with being the mine detector otherwise.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:05:11 PM EDT
[#45]
No criminal charges - but what is his civil liability?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:05:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Maybe there is something wrong, in two days we have had a no charges , the owner of a house shot  and what looks like a guy with his jands up need more info on this one though.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:07:35 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Further proof that the staff / mods are out of touch with what is bothering some of us lowly members.

Yes, people have said negative things about "cops". Yes, they have been ban. Yes, a lot of the members are afraid of YOU and people like you.

Yes Zhukov, woe is me. Yes Zhukov, I will pick up that can.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:08:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Few are called, fewer are held accountable..
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:09:42 PM EDT
[#49]
account lives matter.

did I just see a quadruple post account suicide?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:12:01 PM EDT
[#50]
I hope the guy's family torts the officer into the poor house.
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top