Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2003 5:27:49 PM EDT
This goes into the hmmmmmmmmm category.

Marines line up on Iranian border
By Anton La Guardia, Diplomatic Editor
(Filed: 26/03/2003)

Royal Marines were deployed to Iraq's border with Iran yesterday in a move that will unnerve Teheran's regime, which fears encirclement by American-led forces in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The Ministry of Defence said the Royal Marines were merely "securing their area of operations" after seizing at the Faw peninsula.

But with Iranian troops manning positions on the other side of the Shatt al-Arab waterway, British forces face a highly sensitive task.

Tensions were illustrated by a succession of border incidents. A rocket struck an Iranian oil refinery depot in Abadan, just across from Basra, on Friday injuring two people while there were reports on Monday that Iranian forces had fired on British troops on the Faw peninsula.

Iran, part of America's "axis of evil", is formally neutral but fears it could be the next target for attack.

It is torn between publicly denouncing the "imperialist" war on a fellow Muslim country and co-operating tacitly with America and Britain in removing the old enemy, Saddam Hussein.

America has waged war against two of Iran's most hated foes, the former Taliban regime in Afghanistan and the Ba'athists in Baghdad. But the "Great Satan", as America is known, now has forces on two of Iran's borders.

Link Posted: 3/25/2003 5:42:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I bet they are REALLY nervous. We got`em in an iran sandwich right between iraq and afghanistan.
Link Posted: 3/25/2003 6:34:31 PM EDT
[#2]
It sounds like the regime is becoming increasingly unpopular anyway; better to let it die on its own.  There is nothing like a theocracy to make people sceptical about their religion.

(Trust me on this, I'm from Utah. [;)])

Iran would also be extremely difficult to conquor, at least in comparison to Iraq.  Much bigger, more populous, and the terrain is a lot more rugged.
Link Posted: 3/25/2003 6:39:15 PM EDT
[#3]
They're not there to move into Iran, rather to prevent Iran from supporting various groups that are pro-Iran.

The US had better support the Shi'ites before Iran gets their ear.
Link Posted: 3/25/2003 6:45:55 PM EDT
[#4]
arent there 60 MILLION in Iran?
Link Posted: 3/25/2003 7:47:17 PM EDT
[#5]
IRAN has a Nuclear Weapons Program that is as Advanced as North Korea's.

They ARE busy refining enough Weapons Grade Plutonium for a Hydrogen Bomb.

In all fairness to IRAN. In spite of the Supreme Imam, Iran does have a DEMOCRATIC Parliment with multiple parties.

And IRANIANS are NOT ARABS. They are really Caucasians.

However, I really don't think IRAN should be allowed to have Nuclear Weapons.

Nor should North Korea.

Pakistan and India also really worry me..as I recall it wasn't very long ago, when the Pakistanis and Indians were approaching Nuclear War.

Link Posted: 3/25/2003 7:54:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Axis of Evil
Link Posted: 3/25/2003 7:57:59 PM EDT
[#7]
We have been at war with Iran since they took the hostages, IMHO.  I hope they are scared shitless!  Agreed they can't be allowed to have WMD.  Iran is the second largest supporter of terrorism after Saudi!
Link Posted: 3/25/2003 9:33:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
IRAN has a Nuclear Weapons Program that is as Advanced as North Korea's.

They ARE busy refining enough Weapons Grade Plutonium for a Hydrogen Bomb.
View Quote

And Iran has been testing North Korean ballistic missile designs so they may very well be colluding on nuclear weapons.
In all fairness to IRAN. In spite of the Supreme Imam, Iran does have a DEMOCRATIC Parliment with multiple parties.
View Quote

All of which have to be "screened" by the religious regime. Topple the religious freaks and you have an instant democracy in Iran.
And IRANIANS are NOT ARABS. They are really Caucasians.
View Quote

They're Persians.
Pakistan and India also really worry me..as I recall it wasn't very long ago, when the Pakistanis and Indians were approaching Nuclear War.
View Quote

There's another pair that shouldn't have nukes. The leaders of both countries seem totally unconcerned of the aftereffects of nuclear warfare.
Link Posted: 3/25/2003 9:45:31 PM EDT
[#9]
(Kroagnon) What he said.

They have the Means, and the Intent....all they need is the opportunity....
Link Posted: 3/25/2003 10:07:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/25/2003 11:37:43 PM EDT
[#11]
[i]"The year the great seventh number is accomplished, Appearing at the time of the games of slaughter: Not far from the age of the great millennium, [b]When the dead will come out of their graves.[/b]"- Quatrain 74, Century 10, Nostradamus[/i]

First Iraq followed by Iran, Syria, Lybia, North Korea, Russia and China. Then will the great seventh number be accomplished and all my dreams will come true.
Link Posted: 3/26/2003 12:19:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/26/2003 12:36:18 AM EDT
[#13]
[img]http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/simpsons/images/340/burns.jpg[/img]

[size=4][b]EXCELLENT![/b][/size=4]
Link Posted: 3/26/2003 3:03:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Iran will best be dealt with by a longer-term insurgency to overthrow the mullahs and root out the Islamic extremists. Popular uprising is not out of the question, and could easily be helped along and supplied if we had some secure bases in neighboring countries.

I wonder where 3d SF's new duty station will be?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top