Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:30:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Tallahassee is a dump, I don't know anyone who goes there unless it is College or Gov't related. You'll want to stick to the Gulf side of FL, then there is South Florida. Florida is an odd State in that FL is about 4 States in one. SFL, CFL, NFL, and NWFL are all different in ways.

Pensacola has been brought up, NWFL has always gotten the least amount of money and attention from the State and it has suffered in many ways... Things have changed and are changing in Pensacola. Escambia County (Pensacola) has one of the lowest per-capita income rates in FL, the highest property tax rate, and a higher crime rate than Miami-Dade (though I wouldn't consider it dangerous). You do not want to live on the West side, except for maybe Perdido. Wages are generally fairly low. The two big guns in town are Navy Federal CU and the Navy Base. Mobile, AL has a booming economy, but the place is not somewhere you would want to live. Pensacola really doesn't have a lot to offer, yes it has the typical concerts and festivals; but it has a massive drinking culture. You have the beach, fishing, okay hunting, and that's about it. I long wanted to move to MT to have option other than drinking (hiking, low crime, etc) and then I read about the winters, the cost of living, the job market, and the low wages unless you are in certain fields (which I am not qualified for). Downtown Pensacola has REALLY grown, I think it's been rated one of the best small Downtown's in the South or a must see or something like that. Pensacola used to be a "good ole' boy network" town (which is why a lot of good paying jobs were kept out) and that has changed a lot, but not totally. The schools pretty much suck. Pensacola is not a bad place, it's just one of those places that are what you make it.

Panama City is a dump, Destin is nice but expensive and gets crowded during tourist season, FWB is okay, but crowded because of the base.

Like anywhere, every place has it's good and bad, no place is perfect... But, I personally would not go to Tally.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:46:01 PM EDT
[#2]
No kids and no plans for any.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:48:34 PM EDT
[#3]
my parents have a home in the panama city area
they like the gulf a lot better than any other part of FL
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:52:12 PM EDT
[#4]
We're full, sorry.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:24:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We're full, sorry.
View Quote

Truth
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:19:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
No kids and no plans for any.
View Quote

Hobbies besides shooting.

There's tons of nice places here but...some may require a commute others not so much..
Me I hate south Fla...not cool with shitlando or Tampa or Jax...I moved out of the greater Daytona area cuz its getting shitier and growing into that outlet mall super store parking lot many places do.
So I went inland.
Not a beach Guy...but still with in an hours drive...to the east coast and I'm close to tons of fresh water fun (springs...fishing ...shooting etc)
Granted I commute to work 40 miles.
But I don't have an ghetto goblins to worry about anymore or stupid crowded Mega malls full of tourist!

Summers suck..winters hover 20-40 for lows.just enough to be cold and still close enough for a breeze from either coast to kinda keep the air moving.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:34:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Looks like I should steer closer to Pensacola then?
View Quote

Yup. I live there. Its awesome.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:41:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm from around there and have lived around Tallahassee, Jacksonville, and Panama City my whole life. I was even stationed around those places for all my military assignments. It's hot from May to September but the fall/winter/spring is nice, summer just lasts five or six months though lol.

Every city has crappy and nice areas, nothing special there. The nicest areas are the northeast part of Leon County, out to the east and southeast. Out west is trailer parkistan (hwy 20), northwest seems to be getting more ghetto, a lot of new cheaper construction to the south towards Crawfordville is kind of affordable but kind of "low-rent" at the same time. Big ghetto area in town called Frenchtown between Tharpe street and Tennessee street north of the FSU campus, nobody wants to live in the middle of town anyway unless you're in school right there.

I live 45 minutes out to the east-northeast in the sticks up near the FL/GA state line, love it, there are like 20,000 people in this whole nearby county and I'm 12 miles from the closest town, the small county seat, not many jobs though, many people around here either work in Tallahassee or Valdosta. You go out into the country in most parts of North Florida and it's cheap, simple living. A decent 1200-1500 sq ft house on an acre or five can be had for $85,000-$115,000.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:51:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I live and work in Tallahassee, and I'm an FSU alum. It's a decent compromise between being a smaller city, but still having many of the conveniences of larger cities. Great nightlife, football season is fun, and there are great outdoor activities within 20 min of the city.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:54:11 PM EDT
[#10]
i hear there is a publix that has crab legs that are awesome!
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:10:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Looks like I should steer closer to Pensacola then?  
View Quote

P'cola, Ft Walton and Panama City (PC) are all military towns.  If your job skills can translate into something that can support military operations, all would be good choices.  Eglin might be the best opportunity since it is home to the Armament Division Test Center, the Air Warfare Center plus AF Special Operations Command is located over at Hurlbert field.  The civilian workforce there is probably larger than P'cola and Tyndall AFB (PC) combined by a factor of 3x.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:24:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Girlfriend(soon to be fiancée) and I have discussed some day moving away from the cold Midwest.  We both love Disney but don't want central FL.  She'd prefer Northern FL.  All I know about "Tally" is we have a few members there and it's the home of FSU and FAMU and the state capital.

Is it easy to get a $50k/year job there? I've worked in customer service the past 3 years, she's been an image editor the past seven.

TIA.
View Quote

Tallahassee is a nice area.  I own 2 veterinary hospitals here.  There is a really nice private gun range here that hosts monthly USPSA matches, quarterly 3 gun matches, monthly Steel Challenge match and there is a local Carbine Club that meets to run drills.  There is also a local gun forum (Capital City Gun Forum) that has all of the info related to the carbine club and local matches.  The gun range is called Talon Range.  I don't know of the job market for y'all but I wouldn't see why it wouldn't be possible to get a job given the university and state government.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:35:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

it's the home of FSU

TIA.
View Quote

That is reason enough to stay away.

You are welcome.
On a serious note, the panhandle very nice. I am partial to Gadsden county, though there is a whole lot of nothing there.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:45:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

We're not really beach people.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It be hot and humid most of the year and you're nowhere near a beach. Look into the Panhandle area or close to Tampa, (if you're going to move to FL be close to the damn beach.) Just my $0.02

We're not really beach people.

I think  living closer to a beach keeps the weather cooler.

I'm in South Florida but attended school in central Florida and it's moderately cooler here than in central during the Summer. I've been told that the ocean breeze makes the air cooler somehow (even when you're 8 miles from the nearest one).

For the record, I'm not a beach guy either.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:00:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You are welcome.

On a serious note, the panhandle very nice. I am partial to Gadsden county, though there is a whole lot of nothing there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
it's the home of FSU

TIA.

You are welcome.

I haven't been to there so I have nothing to contribute regarding information. I do have something that I always thought was funny from when I lived in Gainesville.

I heard a lot of -

How do get to Tallahassee? You drive north till you smell it, and then drive west until you step in it.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:43:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

You are welcome.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

it's the home of FSU
TIA.

You are welcome.

Yeah, Quincy is a dump but my dad used to have 200 acres south of I-10 over there, we hunted there for 15 years, beautiful woods and hills, lots of creeks and deer.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Come down towards Gainesville.  I'll make you a great deal on the house I'm selling.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Come down towards Gainesville.  I'll make you a great deal on the house I'm selling.
View Quote

He'll even throw in an extra set of wheels and tires for it, the UF flag by the mailbox is free :) j/k

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:53:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

He'll even throw in an extra set of wheels and tires for it, the UF flag by the mailbox is free :) j/k

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be sure to dress to impress.  Jorts and a tank top should do.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:59:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
i hear there is a publix that has crab legs that are awesome!
View Quote

Anyone that goes to that Publix looking for seafood food is a dumbass.  FSU women are the best.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:04:24 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No Gator crap here.  :)
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:15:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Tallahassee is the most violent Florida city per capita.  Not much outside of state jobs.  Has some good places to shoot like Tallahassee rifle and pistol club (TRPC) and Talon.  It has a great local gun shop in DSH firearms.  IM me if you are going to live in Tallahassee and I can tell you where NOT to live.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:22:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotta have a mullet and mustache, you know "does it naturally grow in all white trashy like that?" style.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:26:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Tallahassee is the most violent Florida city per capita.  Not much outside of state jobs.  Has some good places to shoot like Tallahassee rifle and pistol club (TRPC) and Talon.  It has a great local gun shop in DSH firearms.  IM me if you are going to live in Tallahassee and I can tell you where NOT to live.
View Quote

The only reason Jacksonville doesn't win that contest is they count the whole county as the "city", north-northwest side of Jax would probably rival Chicago per capita for the residents there shooting each other.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:30:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Hey Op,

I grew up in Pensacola, lived 10 years in Panama City Beach and am now on my 6th year in Tallahassee.  I can pretty much give you the lowdown on anything you want to know about North Florida.  PM me and I'd be happy to help you out.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:37:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Tallahassee is a nice area.  I own 2 veterinary hospitals here.  There is a really nice private gun range here that hosts monthly USPSA matches, quarterly 3 gun matches, monthly Steel Challenge match and there is a local Carbine Club that meets to run drills.  There is also a local gun forum (Capital City Gun Forum) that has all of the info related to the carbine club and local matches.  The gun range is called Talon Range.  I don't know of the job market for y'all but I wouldn't see why it wouldn't be possible to get a job given the university and state government.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Girlfriend(soon to be fiancée) and I have discussed some day moving away from the cold Midwest.  We both love Disney but don't want central FL.  She'd prefer Northern FL.  All I know about "Tally" is we have a few members there and it's the home of FSU and FAMU and the state capital.

Is it easy to get a $50k/year job there? I've worked in customer service the past 3 years, she's been an image editor the past seven.

TIA.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:45:37 PM EDT
[#27]
I bought a 2006 FZ1 with a Vetter Terreplane sidecar from a guy there sight unseen when i got back from deployement in 2010.  It was awesome.

Thats all i know about Tallahassee.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:46:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:47:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

As bad as Central/south FL?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
its hot as hell

Hotter in the summer, and colder in the winter. My daughter just graduated from FSU, she loved it. Great college town. Great sports, but don't go there for the weather
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:56:11 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Hotter in the summer, and colder in the winter. My daughter just graduated from FSU, she loved it. Great college town. Great sports, but don't go there for the weather
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

its hot as hell

My grapefruit tree froze this last January when it got down to 17 And then I think I almost heat stroked the other day when it was 99 with 0 wind and I was fishing near St. Marks. But nowadays because of Al gore it gets hot and cold everywhere so whatcha gonna do?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:57:52 PM EDT
[#31]

I hated Tallahassle. It's in the middle of nowhere and just doesn't have much to offer. Plus, you really need to drive to get arount.

Quoted:
View Quote

Gainesville is where it's at. Culture, art, fantastic public transportation. Lots of stuff in biking or walking distance. Friendlier people, creative people, just better all around.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:00:17 PM EDT
[#32]
I grew up in Tallahassee and went to college there. I couldn't wait to leave but now that I've been gone for almost a decade, I really kind of miss it. It's a nice town, not too big or too small, and it is a good place to raise a family. As others have said, it is very hot and humid there. If I could stay in my industry and find a job there, I'd probably move back. Also, the prices for property there for hunting/shooting are far better than you will find in the majority of the rest of Florida.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:09:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:11:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I hated Tallahassle. It's in the middle of nowhere and just doesn't have much to offer. Plus, you really need to drive to get arount.

Gainesville is where it's at. Culture, art, fantastic public transportation. Lots of stuff in biking or walking distance. Friendlier people, creative people, just better all around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:18:53 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

West of Pensacola Navy Federal has a huge call center.

I dont know the details, but its supposedly like only 3 or 4 in the world or someshit.

They hire a ton of people. Its like the Google complex out there.

That would be a place to look into Deej with your BG.
View Quote

This Right Here.

Navy Fed pays pretty well...not 50k well.  But decent.   Good thing with Navy Fed is there is room for growth.  The campus is expanding as Navy Fed is moving their world headquarters here.  

West is another call center in town.  I would advise staying clear of them.  I know quite a few people that worked there and all experiences were short and unpleasant.

Wife and I both worth for the Sheriff Dept here and love it.  

Cost of living in Pensacola isn't bad.  I pay 1k a month for a 2500 sqft home on the North end of town (9mile road).  Current price for diesel is 2.53 a gal.  Gas I don't know, haven't bought it in a while but it's about the same.   Power and utilities are decent.   Food and everything else is pretty much the same.

Lots to do in the area.  Few nice gun ranges from private to public and all the way up to 1k yards.  $25 FFL transfers at Ubers Lock and Gun.  Stay away from Jay's Gun Shop.  The little midget manager at the one in town is a douche.  

Lots of smaller little town and such make up the area. so you don't have to be in Pensacola city limits.  

I like it here.  I've lived here for a long time.  

Any specific questions you may have ask away.  There are a few of us from Pensacola and the area on here.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:28:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://m.quickmeme.com/img/60/609299a1128b20719e1ce667a0b10bd8bd11267167e1ab5fbe3af6fb74cd30f9.jpg

This. Gainesville SUCKS
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:31:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://m.quickmeme.com/img/60/609299a1128b20719e1ce667a0b10bd8bd11267167e1ab5fbe3af6fb74cd30f9.jpg

No. That's just steady state for an FSU fan... When FSU has one of the lowest entrance requirements in the nation, it's no wonder their students are easily confused.

Tally has near 200% the crime in all categories compared to Gville

But then again, this thread isnt about Tally/GVille. It's much more about the panhandle region.

Living anywhere near Tally is like living in south Florida, that area is solid blue. I would try and live outside of Tally, if you have to work there. Or move abit further east and hit the Pensacola and surrounding areas. Redneck riviera. Lots of .mil in the area, very conservative. If you live outside of town, land/houses are pretty cheap.  I work at Eglin, live in Crestview.  My 2k sq ft house, on 5 acres cost me 85k.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:33:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This. Gainesville SUCKS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

This. Gainesville SUCKS

But, they have painted over passes.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:35:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

No. That's just steady state for an FSU fan... When FSU has one of the lowest entrance requirements in the nation, it's no wonder their students are easily confused.

But then again, this thread isnt about Tally/GVille. It's much more about the panhandle region.

Living anywhere near Tally is like living in south Florida, that area is solid blue. I would try and live outside of Tally, if you have to work there. Or move abit further east and hit the Pensacola and surrounding areas. Redneck riviera. Lots of .mil in the area, very conservative. If you live outside of town, land/houses are pretty cheap.  I work at Eglin, live in Crestview.  My 2k sq ft house, on 5 acres cost me 85k.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

At least us FSU grads know the difference between east and west.   Genius.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:46:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Remember that Deej doesn't drive. Public transportation and the density of services/activities in a city probably work really well for him.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:58:39 PM EDT
[#41]
If you don't drive, Tally might not be for you.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:49:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Remember that Deej doesn't drive. Public transportation and the density of services/activities in a city probably work really well for him.
View Quote

Ohhhh... didnt know that.

Pcola would suck then. Gainesville would be great in that aspect, but thats way off from the panhandle.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:53:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm glad I gave a seminole a warm tingle down his leg. I know how rare it must be for you to correct a Gator. Relish this moment. Value it. Cherish it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:59:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Can't help you on the job outlook.

I will say this:

I lived a good part of my life in Jax, Fl, and have spent time all over the country, and all over FL working.

Lived in the panhandle area for a few years, and if I had to move back to FL, it would be on the panhandle.

FL can be a great place to live, but check out cost of living calculators before committing to an area.

Hope you like it hot and humid, year round.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 1:00:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'm glad I gave a seminole a warm tingle down his leg. I know how rare it must be for you to correct a Gator. Relish this moment. Value it. Cherish it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know you earned that.  But I will save it.  All in fun  
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 1:33:14 AM EDT
[#46]
a Florida man lives there. thats all you need to know. but then anything is a step up from chicago.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:13:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you don't drive, Florida is not for you.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:19:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But...but...Taltran.

Deej, it's 80 degrees with 94% humidity in Tallahassee at 6:17 am.  Luckily it's only like that for 4 months a year.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:28:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
its hot as hell
View Quote

ETA: Just in case no one has mentioned previous......

This and don't forget the humidity.  Fuck.  

Heat index over 109 past couple of days.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:32:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top