Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/28/2015 5:35:48 PM EDT
Why is it I can't walk in to a grocery store without every damn thing being proudly vaunted as "gluten free?"  Even things which do not and never have contained any wheat product whatsoever in them are marketed this way.  Are there that damned many celiacs a out there?  No, there is not, but what there is is a bunch of simple minded dumb fucks being lead around by pop-nutrition that have no fucking idea what gluten even fucking is or why it is supposedly "bad," they just mindlessly follow whatever the TV and their clueless friends tell them, so now all the fucking country must be marketed to like we all have a fucking wheat allergy all so these dumbasses think they are eating "healthy" when they slam down their 16 inch extra everything pizza made with the magical "gluten free" dough.  These are the same people who think that undersized, misshapen, bug eaten, and three times the cost of everything else "organic" food is somehow better just because it is grown using 18th century farming technology, these ignorant fucking Luddites don't even know the definition of the word organic, but the TV says it's good for them.  I just watched some idiot go through the grocery store checkout line prostolatizing all within earshot about the "evils" of gluten and vaccinations which to her tiny brain cause autism, all evidence to the contrary aside.

People completely lack all critical thinking skills anymore, and they vote.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:37:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:39:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:55:47 PM EDT
[#3]
For people like my wife (Celiac), the idiots are welcome. If it wasn't for them driving the market to produce more gluten free products, those with Celiac would have far fewer options.

Also, I do believe that I heard that actual cases of Celiac are sort of on the rise; they're better diagnosed these days.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:02:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For people like my wife (Celiac), the idiots are welcome. If it wasn't for them driving the market to produce more gluten free products, those with Celiac would have far fewer options.

Also, I do believe that I heard that actual cases of Celiac are sort of on the rise; they're better diagnosed these days.
View Quote

As long as manufacturers don't take it too far. I've read that around 7% of the population has a problem with gluten and that gluten helps with blood pressure and inflammation. Assuming that's true I'd hate to see gluten go the way of trans fats. And gluten free products often have more fat, more sugar and are more expensive. Meh, I bake my own protein bread and add gluten flour. I'm set.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:02:05 PM EDT
[#5]
My wife has non celiac gluten sensitivity. It was almost 12 months of failed testing and her being sick. She started a gluten free diet and has been 100% healthy.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:05:51 PM EDT
[#6]
You are correct, Callgood. A gluten free diet is, unfortunately for sufferers, actually unhealthy.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:06:19 PM EDT
[#7]
My son has a gluten sensitivity, so the more gluten free products, the better.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:06:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:07:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup. At a local collage one of the professors would start his class every year by thanking the 95% of the students for registering for his class as it made it possible for the five percent that would get something out of it to have a class to attend.

Oh, and thank you computer obsessives for being addicted, or I wouldn't have such a fun job.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:11:43 PM EDT
[#10]
It's only stupid because GF Mac-n-cheese is still really bad for you.  "Gluten" isn't the problem for people without celiacs, it's large quantities of wheat in our diet.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:30:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I kinda feel the same.

One of my kids has a gliadin allergy. Gliadin is also a wheat protein (and some other cereals), so GF is his lifestyle.
Couple of years ago it was next to impossible to feed him any real variety of foods, he was frustrated, and angry.
Now, there are full aisles of GF foods in every major market, breads and pastas that are actually edible, entire companies manufacturing GF lines, better labeling across the board, etc.

And the simple fact (that many often forget), is that a GF diet is much healthier than a wheat based diet. Processed wheat, and the high carb, high calorie, high glycemic index foods are just plain bad nutrition.

So I can't get too mad at the crazies. Their market influence has given my son a much wider range of choices.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I kinda feel the same.

One of my kids has a gliadin allergy. Gliadin is also a wheat protein (and some other cereals), so GF is his lifestyle.
Couple of years ago it was next to impossible to feed him any real variety of foods, he was frustrated, and angry.
Now, there are full aisles of GF foods in every major market, breads and pastas that are actually edible, entire companies manufacturing GF lines, better labeling across the board, etc.

And the simple fact (that many often forget), is that a GF diet is much healthier than a wheat based diet. Processed wheat, and the high carb, high calorie, high glycemic index foods are just plain bad nutrition.

So I can't get too mad at the crazies. Their market influence has given my son a much wider range of choices.

I'm glad your son has more selection, but the thread is a rant on stupidity and gullibility.  These people have no reason at all to avoid gluten, yet they loudly insist that they must avoid it, they are stupid.

The sheer stupidity is annoying, but what is really problematic is that while the supply of gluten free stuff for those who legitimately need it is increasing, the supply of real food is going down, which is a problem because the gluten free is more expensive and has that bland lifeless hospital food taste to it, and as others have mentioned it's really not as good for you.  It wouldn't bother me nearly so much if there was a reason for it, but there's not, it's just pure stupidity and sheep behavior.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:33:24 PM EDT
[#12]
It's awesome for the people who actually have a gluten sensitivity. Everyone else who follows the fad is a fucking retard.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:35:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Choice is nice.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:40:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I can't really agree that its causing a shortage of normal foods; I've had no problem getting anything I was after.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:44:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's only stupid because GF Mac-n-cheese is still really bad for you.  "Gluten" isn't the problem for people without celiacs, it's large quantities of wheat in our diet.
View Quote

This.  I am 95% gluten free, I eat regular food at birthday parties, family meals etc so the host doesn't feel compelled to prepare extra dishes.  

I don't think I have an issue with wheat, just how I was getting it.  The roll on my cheeseburger, the crust in the pizza, the pasta under the pile of cheese.  Cutting wheat from my diet eliminated a lot of the bad calories that came with it.  I replaced pasta with rice, sweet potatoes and vegetables.  The only "gluten free" products we buy are Barilla pasta (2 yo and 4 yo, can't be without noodles once a week) and cereal, Chex, not even a specialty brand.

In my first six months without wheat, I dropped 25 pounds, no other lifestyle changes.  It's been 18 months, diet is no problem, I feel fine, grocery bill has not become crazy.  

YMMV
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:47:44 PM EDT
[#16]
You would be surprised how much stuff has gluten in it.  You would think a baked potato at a restraunt would be ok, but a lot of places use salt that has a wheat substance on it to make it stick to the potato.  

Quoted:
My wife has non celiac gluten sensitivity. It was almost 12 months of failed testing and her being sick. She started a gluten free diet and has been 100% healthy.
View Quote

Same here, but it took us almost 2 years to figure it out.  She got really sick and lost a lot of weight.  Doing great now.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:49:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I just started a gluten free diet.  But that's only because it's a low carb diet and gluten is too many carbs.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:49:48 PM EDT
[#18]
As an extreme food allergy sufferer which includes wheat this gluten free fad has made my life much easier.  Before the gluten free craze it was so much harder finding safe foods that I can eat.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:54:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Creme fraiche.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:56:14 PM EDT
[#20]
While there are too many sheep in the world, perhaps the sheep read up on the subject and are making intelligent choices.  I recommend the book Wheat Belly.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:13:30 PM EDT
[#21]
In defiance of all medical statistics, approx. 87% of ARFCOM is gluten-sensitive.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:19:23 PM EDT
[#22]
I have Crohn's disease and it sucks. I felt tremendously better after going Paleo for a month. Since then, I've paid more attention to trigger foods and it seems pasta, bread and beer make me worse. Trying to go back to a semi-Paleo diet. You can have my cheese when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:20:04 PM EDT
[#23]
OP, you should post a pic of yourself so we can determine if you can back up your rant about diet.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:21:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same here except the doc thinks it could be early stages of Chrons with the fiance. I'm happy there are more options for her.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:23:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I kinda feel the same.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I kinda feel the same.

I'm very much convinced from what I've seen high carb/sugar diets are terrible for your arteries and is the root cause of much of the heart disease in this country.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:25:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have Crohn's disease and it sucks. I felt tremendously better after going Paleo for a month. Since then, I've paid more attention to trigger foods and it seems pasta, bread and beer make me worse. Trying to go back to a semi-Paleo diet. You can have my cheese when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

View Quote

Lol, cheese is my fiance's favorite thing in this world and she's not supposed to eat that or gluten. Bread and beer seems to royally fuck her up.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:26:11 PM EDT
[#27]
I think having a choice is great.

I really wish they had more high fat ultra low carb stuff in stores or on the menu at restaurants.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:28:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Low sodium! Low fat! High carbs! High fibre products! Whole wheat! High protein! Low sugar! Gluten free! Low sodium!

Recognize any of these fads from 1985 on up to present day?

Five years from now we'll be on to the next trendy food boogeyman, if not out and out rehashing one of the above.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:30:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Wife is on the gluten free diet...really don't know if it's helping her the way she thinks it is.

...but I'll say one thing,

...it's got her on a diet, and that's a GOOD thing.

She's lost 7 lbs since this started and she's still going.

ETA: Her friend who got her started on "gluten free" diet is batshit crazy.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:32:28 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

You would be surprised how much stuff has gluten in it.  You would think a baked potato at a restraunt would be ok, but a lot of places use salt that has a wheat substance on it to make it stick to the potato.  
Same here, but it took us almost 2 years to figure it out.  She got really sick and lost a lot of weight.  Doing great now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a giant pain to work around, but my wife's life has been much better since she started avoiding gluten.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:32:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Wife is on the gluten free diet...really don't know if it's helping her the way she thinks it is.

...but I'll say one thing,

...it's got her on a diet, and that's a GOOD thing.

She's lost 7 lbs since this started and she's still going.
View Quote

My mother in law has celiac....I'd hate to see what would happen if she wasn't on a gluten free diet...it's not doing her any favors

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:35:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I just started a gluten free diet.  But that's only because it's a low carb diet and gluten is too many carbs.
View Quote

I know, right? Preach it.

You know how to eat "gluten-free", people? Shop on the outside ring of the grocery store, make a side trip down the oil and spice aisle, and skip the bakery.

Here's the "fad" diet, in a nutshell: Eat fresh fruits, vegetables, spices, dairy, oils, nuts, poultry, fish, pork, lamb, bison, goat, beef (and some other proteins I'm sure I've missed). Real fuckin' weird. Oh Lawdy, how can anyone survive on such a restrictive diet?

I mean, other than 200,000 years of human evolution, or course. But other than that?

A proper shrimp boil is gluten (and even carb) free. And yours is the best on planet earth.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:44:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Such a level of idiocy expressed in this thread.

Several million people have celiac disease; many millions have low grade reactions.

The gluten of today is not the same as 40 years ago.  "Big food" changed it genetically.  The changes they made should require hundreds of generations of evolution to adapt.  Instead, it's hardly 2 generations.

You idiots in your twenties who can pound shit on a daily basis have no idea what happens in your forties, after consuming toxic unnatural food like substances for several decades.

Drink a sixpack at age 20; drink a sixpack at age 40.  If you think it's gonna feel the same, then you're still 20.  There is so much crap in our food system it's unbelievable.  And the way it affects you at a slightly more advanced age is dramatically different than when you were a kid.

Gluten and wheat in general are not natural in terms of where we are as human beings.  

But none of this rant matters:  No reason for anyone to take anyone's word.  Just stop consuming wheat and gluten for 6 weeks or so; then add it back in and see how you feel.  If there's no change, you're right.  I'm betting there would be lots of surprised folks around here if you actually tried this little experiment.

But it's more fun to complain about stupid marketing, while eating your bowl of cocoa puffs.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:45:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Who cares what diet people choose to eat? More power to them.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:46:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Considering gluten is made of two proteins and zero carbohydrates....

...but I catch your drift ;)
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:07:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You know how to eat "gluten-free", people? Shop on the outside ring of the grocery store, make a side trip down the oil and spice aisle, and skip the bakery.

Here's the "fad" diet, in a nutshell: Eat fresh fruits, vegetables, spices, dairy, oils, nuts, poultry, fish, pork, lamb, bison, goat, beef (and some other proteins I'm sure I've missed). Real fuckin' weird. Oh Lawdy, how can anyone survive on such a restrictive diet?

I mean, other than 200,000 years of human evolution, or course. But other than that?

A proper shrimp boil is gluten (and even carb) free. And yours is the best on planet earth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

And I am not doing paleo. I am doing Keto it is most horrible so far.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:35:18 AM EDT
[#37]
I have it. Very painful when you eat the wrong stuff. Have pretty much given up eating the gluten free food. Taste like crap and very disappointing. If I could only eat one gluten thing it would be English muffins and I would be satisfied. The stuff they substitute for wheat flour health wise isn't really any better for you. Going to a restaurant is like tip toeing thru a mine field.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:06:14 AM EDT
[#38]
As the father of 4 children with confirmed celiac disease I thank the lunatics daily for pushing the market to offer gluten free products.  I eat gluten but my wife and kids cannot.  It sure makes it easier when shopping to find what they can and can't eat when products are labeled "gluten free".  Some of them may seem silly but you would be amazed at what products contain gluten.  We even had to change the children vitamins the kids were taking because they contained gluten.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:10:54 AM EDT
[#39]
It's like labeling an apple as cholesterol free.  Or eggs as gluten free.

I get it, but I don't mind it.  It makes it easier for consumers.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:34:32 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm drinking some gluten free water right now.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:42:59 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View Quote
second post nails it.

Also some unexpected products might contain wheat, so I'm pretty happy about the labeling. Since being with someone who will get VERY ill if she eats any gluten, I've been a label hound, but I'd still prefer a big fat "GF" label on products, just to make it easy on me.

Soy sauce, for example, most of them contain wheat. Why? Reasons. So I'm happy that Kikkoman labels their shit as gluten free so I don't have to wonder.

OP, I gotta say man, why you mad, bro? What's it to you? People wanna cut gluten out of their diet, how's that impact your day to day, exactly?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:46:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Thanks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

I bet you're hating life right now. It's HOOOOOORRIBLE!
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:50:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Why is it I can't walk in to a grocery store without every damn thing being proudly vaunted as "gluten free?"  Even things which do not and never have contained any wheat product whatsoever in them are marketed this way.  Are there that damned many celiacs a out there?  No, there is not, but what there is is a bunch of simple minded dumb fucks being lead around by pop-nutrition that have no fucking idea what gluten even fucking is or why it is supposedly "bad," they just mindlessly follow whatever the TV and their clueless friends tell them, so now all the fucking country must be marketed to like we all have a fucking wheat allergy all so these dumbasses think they are eating "healthy" when they slam down their 16 inch extra everything pizza made with the magical "gluten free" dough.  These are the same people who think that undersized, misshapen, bug eaten, and three times the cost of everything else "organic" food is somehow better just because it is grown using 18th century farming technology, these ignorant fucking Luddites don't even know the definition of the word organic, but the TV says it's good for them.  I just watched some idiot go through the grocery store checkout line prostolatizing all within earshot about the "evils" of gluten and vaccinations which to her tiny brain cause autism, all evidence to the contrary aside.

People completely lack all critical thinking skills anymore, and they vote.
View Quote

OMG there are people different than you.  Better make fun of them to make yourself feel better.  

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:53:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Such a level of idiocy expressed in this thread.

Several million people have celiac disease; many millions have low grade reactions.

The gluten of today is not the same as 40 years ago.  "Big food" changed it genetically.  The changes they made should require hundreds of generations of evolution to adapt.  Instead, it's hardly 2 generations.

You idiots in your twenties who can pound shit on a daily basis have no idea what happens in your forties, after consuming toxic unnatural food like substances for several decades.

Drink a sixpack at age 20; drink a sixpack at age 40.  If you think it's gonna feel the same, then you're still 20.  There is so much crap in our food system it's unbelievable.  And the way it affects you at a slightly more advanced age is dramatically different than when you were a kid.

Gluten and wheat in general are not natural in terms of where we are as human beings.  

But none of this rant matters:  No reason for anyone to take anyone's word.  Just stop consuming wheat and gluten for 6 weeks or so; then add it back in and see how you feel.  If there's no change, you're right.  I'm betting there would be lots of surprised folks around here if you actually tried this little experiment.

But it's more fun to complain about stupid marketing, while eating your bowl of cocoa puffs.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:55:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Gluten has no carbohydrates.
Gluten is a protein.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:59:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Gluten is a protein.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gluten is a protein.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:09:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Gluten is a protein.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gluten is a protein.

And where is that protein found?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:18:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Yes, I miss muh carbs. But got to slim down for CWE.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:19:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Gluten is a protein.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gluten is a protein.

No shit. But find me a grain that doesn't contain carbs.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:30:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Celiac checking in.

It killed my great-aunt.  I never met her (she died before I was born) of an intestinal cancer that was connected to her being a Celiac.

The fad aspect of "gluten free" is silly but I have profited so much from it that I hope those crazy diamond fruit bats keep on keeping on.

The history of the disease is interesting.  It was identified in the modern era during the period around WWII in Europe due to the drastic food shortages.  IIRC a pediatrician connected with an orphanage in Holland was forced to find alternative foods and the kids who had failed to thrive on the regular diet did well with boiled tulip bulbs.  This was something he found intriguing and he went in search of a medical reason.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top