BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:18:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hey Bull and FlyNavy...did either of you get to fly against a Fulcrum at any point in your careers and if so, what is your opinion of its strengths and weaknesses? Since we're talking about the best 4th generation dogfighters in the US arsenal (F-16, F-18), we might as well throw in the Soviet equivalent.
View Quote

How To Win In A Dogfight: Stories From A Pilot Who Flew F-16s And MiGs
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:31:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

My personal research into such things reveals that Rules of Engagement are the greatest contributor to putting aircraft within sight of each other.

The second is the desire to avoid blue-on-blue engagements.

So how much?  Probably a 70/30 chance of getting into a dogfight.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How much dogfighting do we really expect to be doing?

My personal research into such things reveals that Rules of Engagement are the greatest contributor to putting aircraft within sight of each other.

The second is the desire to avoid blue-on-blue engagements.

So how much?  Probably a 70/30 chance of getting into a dogfight.

Check on the ROEs.  

If we need to get within Dog Fighting range to avoid Blue-On-Blue then shouldn't we have sensors to prevent that?

My question is more along the lines of this:  Do we think we are going to be in a conflict that will require Dog Fighting as a core capability?  How much DogFighting have we done since Vietnam?  How much money are our adversaries putting into "Dog Fighting"  vs.  A2AD, IEDs, PGATMs,  and other low end shit they can either use or give to some non-state actor to use?  I think "Dog Fighting"  might be like Battleship on Battleship naval actions or bayonet fighting, or jousting.  

That's my perspective from the ground anyway.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:39:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

7th gen fighters are so stealthy that missiles can't lock on.  So basically they patrol around until they stumble upon each other and then, bam, knife fight.

That's why they needed vstol, so the plane can hover and get a steadier shot on the bogeys.  Quicker firing solution.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

7th gen fighters are so stealthy that missiles can't lock on.  So basically they patrol around until they stumble upon each other and then, bam, knife fight.

That's why they needed vstol, so the plane can hover and get a steadier shot on the bogeys.  Quicker firing solution.

So we spent billions to degenerate air-to-air combat to WWI levels?

What competitor is developing a 7th Gen Fighter and when could we expect to see a enemy squadrons of them operational, and do we reasonably expect to fight them vs. their proxies?

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:54:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Here is the book I referenced. If you're not interested it's definitely a dry read. If you are, it's pretty solid.

http://www.scaredscriptless.com/images/jason/Star-Citizen/ACM/Fighter%20Combat%20-%20Tactics%20and%20Maneuvering.pdf

I'm not saying most of what his book has is still relevant (the YoYo discussion comes to mind), but geometry is still geometry.
View Quote

That shit is hilarious that someone has that book under their Star Citizen account. I guess it makes sense, considering it's a big dog fighting game, in space.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:26:35 PM EDT
[#5]
anti-dupe bump
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:52:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What competitor is developing a 7th Gen Fighter and when could we expect to see a enemy squadrons of them operational, and do we reasonably expect to fight them vs. their proxies?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its GD sarcasm.  (well done btw )

But hey, probably close to the mark

Everyone will be so busy jamming everyone else that nobody will see nothing electronically, cyberwarfare will have every computer (radar, GPS, etc) singularly focused on computing pi to the last digit and all the UAVs will be chasing all the other UAVs, that there won't be anything left except to close to visual range and use hand signals.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top