Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 4:30:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Page 2 and no.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 4:40:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

1)  You CANNOT plagiarize yourself.  This is oxymoronical.  It is YOUR work.  YOU own it.  YOU can copy it or distribute it as you desire.

2)  That's a BS college stunt that perverts the meaning of plagiarism in order to make you write new work rather than use old, but still applicable work.  Doesn't mean you won't get expelled for it, but college profs can suck a cock if they are that kind of person.  In many ways, using "plagiarism" prohibitions to get students to do more work is a really dirty thing to do BECAUSE it perverts the meaning of the word.  You CANNOT plagiarize yourself UNLESS you are in college.

3)  I am so glad I am done with college and all the stupid bullshit that goes with it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guy I knew at Central Michigan University got in trouble for turning in the same work for another class, they called it plagiarism.

No bull shit, he almost got expelled for plagiarism.

It was some kind of writing assignment that was identical to another he had done.

1)  You CANNOT plagiarize yourself.  This is oxymoronical.  It is YOUR work.  YOU own it.  YOU can copy it or distribute it as you desire.

2)  That's a BS college stunt that perverts the meaning of plagiarism in order to make you write new work rather than use old, but still applicable work.  Doesn't mean you won't get expelled for it, but college profs can suck a cock if they are that kind of person.  In many ways, using "plagiarism" prohibitions to get students to do more work is a really dirty thing to do BECAUSE it perverts the meaning of the word.  You CANNOT plagiarize yourself UNLESS you are in college.

3)  I am so glad I am done with college and all the stupid bullshit that goes with it.

It's academic dishonesty to turn in work for one class that was done for another.  You can whine and moan however you want about it, it is what it is.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 4:57:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
English 102 is basically "how to write a research paper."
View Quote

not exactly.  a research paper involves doing research, and english/comp courses don't teach much of that. it wasn't until i got to grad school that i discovered that all the 'research paper' instruction i'd ever gotten was 'how to write a shoddy review of other people's writing'.  i'd say that intro-level english classes teach some variant of "how to write an extended version of a 5 paragraph essay," but not much more than that.  i would get students in my office that were completely confused as to why they made bad grades on writing assignments, when they hadn't even developed an argument.

"but i made an A on all my english papers!"

honestly, arfcom is a better writing lab than most low-level comp courses.  hand a kid 'the craft of research,' 'the elements of style,' and toss him in the deep end of GD.  a year of evolution, abortion, and civil war threads will have him writing at the graduate level.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:03:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

not exactly.  a research paper involves doing research, and english/comp courses don't teach much of that. it wasn't until i got to grad school that i discovered that all the 'research paper' instruction i'd ever gotten was 'how to write a shoddy review of other people's writing'.  i'd say that intro-level english classes teach some variant of "how to write an extended version of a 5 paragraph essay," but not much more than that.  i would get students in my office that were completely confused as to why they made bad grades on writing assignments, when they hadn't even developed an argument.

honestly, arfcom is a better writing lab than most low-level comp courses.  hand a kid 'the craft of research,' 'the elements of style,' and toss him in the deep end of GD.  a year of evolution, abortion, and civil war threads will have him writing at the graduate level.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
English 102 is basically "how to write a research paper."

Huh...

My ENG102 class was a legitimate 12 page research paper that had something like 25 cites from different sources. We had to find an issue we cared about, develop a thesis, etc. Honestly, it was one of the best classes I took in college because my prof was a hardass.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:07:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I have to take it. I just want to be a lowly welder, but English 102 is required.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In principle it should be fine, but be sure to check the specific policies at your universities.  I know that at some universities, what you describe would in fact be considered cheating.

Is it too late to change the class?  I'd hate to be paying money for a repeat of stuff I'd already done.

I have to take it. I just want to be a lowly welder, but English 102 is required.

There's welding work in AZ?
How much does it pay?

I figured all of the illegals would have taken this type of work down there.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:47:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Guy I knew at Central Michigan University got in trouble for turning in the same work for another class, they called it plagiarism.

It was some kind of writing assignment that was identical to another he had done.
View Quote

The school told me I would have to cite myself if I "re-used" a paper, or portions of one.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:53:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd say no, but what do I know... I never went to college
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:58:24 AM EDT
[#8]
You had to take a remedial English class?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:08:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Huh...

My ENG102 class was a legitimate 12 page research paper that had something like 25 cites from different sources. We had to find an issue we cared about, develop a thesis, etc. Honestly, it was one of the best classes I took in college because my prof was a hardass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh...

i'm not trying to come at you here, but this is part of the problem--developing an argument by citing stuff that other people have written about the topic is not research, except in very specific circumstances.  the majority of the time, that kind of writing is either an essay or a background section.  research involves the collection of data, not other writers' arguments (unless you're researching something like why those writers argued the way that they did).

what most students i've encountered think of as research is actually a review of literature (i was no different--i had to learn the hard way).  for example, if the assignment is to research something like the lewis and clark expedition, they'll go out and collect a bunch of scholarly citations about the expedition, rather than developing actual data out of the expedition journal written by L&C.  so what they wind up producing is a summary of what other people think, assembled into an argument that has no original research to support it.  that's an essay, not a research paper.

i ran smack into this, and it was a really humbling experience.  the vast majority of the undergrad writing i've edited or graded shows the same problem.  the tragic part is that most people intuitively understand the concept of research when they think of it in non-academic ways.  i use the example of tony romo a lot when i tutor students.  if your thesis is that romo is a crappy QB, your data are going to come from what romo does in football games, not what ESPN or NFL films says about what he does in football games.  but when it comes to assignments, most student research amounts to collecting the minimum number of media stories to cite.

DK has a ton more experience than i do, so i'll defer to him.  but i suspect he'll agree with me.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:13:03 AM EDT
[#10]
You wrote it, it's belongs to you.  

Not cheating.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:18:05 AM EDT
[#11]
At my University it's considered plagiarism to reuse your own work from other classes. Stupid I know. But might want to check to make sure it's not the same for yours. Good luck.

Eta: A guy a couple years ago (only know about him from older friends) was expelled for reusing work he had done his freshman year, he was a senior at the time. The professor said that since the paper had been used before it was plagiarism against himself. The school council decided to expel him after that
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:22:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Not cheating.
View Quote

It belongs to the school as soon as you submit it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:27:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You had to take a remedial English class?
View Quote

i've met very few students who do not need remedial writing instruction.  our department does extensive work with recruiters and large employers for skills development, and the biggest complaint every year is that college graduates on the whole cannot write effectively.  the internet is a text-driven world, but writing quality is steadily decreasing because students aren't taught basic claim-reasons-evidence argumentation.  writing a paper is very simple:

claim: tony romo sucks as a QB

reasons: he panics, he makes poor decisions because he tries to do too much, and he cares more about golf.

evidence: week 7 of 2012, on 3rd and 13, blablabla.  in game 12 of 2008, he did blablabla.  his demeanor in the postgame interview...and so forth.  this forms a distinct pattern, which shows that the reasons i mentioned are accurate.  because of this, my claim is accurate.  here's a final paragraph to sum this up in case you forgot it.

that's all there is to it.  but people get intimidated, and wind up making a mess of it because they were never taught properly.  for most students, writing is about meeting a page minimum and digging up the minimum number of sources.  they're thinking about everything but communicating a point clearly.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:02:21 AM EDT
[#14]
No. Done it before, especially when retaking classes. It is still your work.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:04:23 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not cheating.

Unless they are paying me, no. It's mine.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:10:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Not cheating.... It is called work product
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:14:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Yes and I'm sure the syllabus states original work which means not used before.

< Has instructed college on the side for years

ETA if you want to cite some of your previous work that fine
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:22:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
In principle it should be fine, but be sure to check the specific policies at your universities.  I know that at some universities, what you describe would in fact be considered cheating.

Is it too late to change the class?  I'd hate to be paying money for a repeat of stuff I'd already done.
View Quote

Yeah I've had teachers specify stuff like this before, especially for a writing course I took, that even though it's your own work, if you used it for a previous class it wasn't allowed.  Although that being said, I'm not sure if they'd find out either.

I had one assignment where we had to write a couple of non-fiction accounts of something we did.  The teacher warned that she'd look our stuff up online to be sure we didn't plagiarize anyone.  Although I edited mine slightly, for the most part they were lifted directly from my blog. ... so I guess she didn't look stuff up as much as she claimed she did.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:24:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Many colleges and instructors consider that to be plagiarism (of yourself). Read your school's conduct code and ask the instructors if it is okay. Whether they give a shit for a 100 level class is a different question.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:50:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I recall back in High School I got kicked in the junk for something similar.  I don't remember the details because it was almost 20 years ago but something like turning in two papers for two different classes that had some overlapping writing.  

It's a great way to prepare people for the real world; where we take the same Powerpoint Business Plan and update it and reuse it for 4+ years in 10 different contexts.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:56:25 AM EDT
[#21]
It's your own work. Just got lucky the teacher is lazy.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:57:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It's academic dishonesty to turn in work for one class that was done for another.  You can whine and moan however you want about it, it is what it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll agree with you about it being academic dishonesty (if there is a written policy stating such).  But it is NOT plagiarism.  Read my argument again.  It was purely about the term being used and the fact that using the term incorrectly is a perversion of that term.  As you said, academic dishonesty is more appropriate.....but it doesn't have the edge that "plagiarism" does.  Which is why they try to use that term instead.

But to argue the point, since you turned it into that.

1)  If I myself did the work, is it not a representation of my ability to do "the work."  Even if it wasn't for that class, it still represents MY ability to do the work.

2)  Making me do 2 assignments when 1 would satisfy the requirements of both those assignments is "busy work" essentially.  It's meaningless.  If I can do the work, I can do the work.  Which is what college is meant to teach me.  How to do something.  As long as it is MY WORK it represents my ability to understand and satisfy requirements.

3)  I get that profs see it as academic dishonesty, and that's fine.  The college can make that policy, to which students must abide.  However, be honest with yourself....it's busy work for the sake of making me do work, not prove that I can do a thing.

4)  Stop calling academic dishonesty plagiarism.  Plagiarism is a specific term that describes taking another person's work and representing it as your own.  I cannot plagiarize myself.  It is MY work.  I own it.  I cannot commit a crime against myself.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:59:46 AM EDT
[#23]
not cheating, but I'd rather spend my money on a class that'll give me something new to learn and read...
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:00:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Check with the teacher.  if I were you I would improve what had already been written.  Expectations for a regular class are generally higher than formamremedialmclass
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:03:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Check with the teacher.  if I were you I would improve what had already been written.  Expectations for a regular class are generally higher than formamremedialmclass
View Quote

these extra classes are merely a way for the college to make him pay tuition 3x instead of 1x.

that is it.  stop defending it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:18:04 AM EDT
[#26]
12th grade chemistry was open book, open ANYTHING, they said we could bring any papers or notes we studied from into the exam room. I had my sister's final exam from two years prior in my pile of stuff when I went to write it. Many of the questions were exactly the same and some just had small differences.

I still don't know how I didn't get a hundred percent. 98
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:18:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

these extra classes are merely a way for the college to make him pay tuition 3x instead of 1x.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, remedial English (anything below 100 level) is where a student who can't write at the college level is placed. Most likely, the expectations for the 100 level course are higher, even if it's the same book and assignment.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:26:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  Plagiarism by definition is stealing someone else's work and passing it off as your own.  How the hell can you steal your own work?
I did turn in papers more than once between Community College and University--Usually I even USED the suggested "corrections/changes" made by the first teacher, or expounded on the ideas the first teacher made.

I'm also glad to be out. What college has become is total BS.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:36:49 AM EDT
[#29]
You can't do it at my school, unfortunately.  It's specifically addressed in their academic dishonesty policy that also covers plagiarism and cheating.    

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:46:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Not cheating.  I recycled papers in college for different classes.  As long as it's your work it's legit.

When my father was in college he had to take a foreign language.  He decided to take German.  He is a German immigrant.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:53:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
yes.  self-plagiarism is a breach of academic ethics, and is taken quite seriously.  i'm not kidding.  your work for the course is supposed to be original work.  if you are not producing original work for an assignment, it is an offense.
View Quote

Yep self-plagiarism is a no no and would go against most universities COC.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:08:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

My dad was a college chemistry prof and a researcher in private industry and for the DOE. Had to cite his previous work all the time in his publications. He couldn't just repeat it without a citation because, for one thing, somebody would probably want to know where that work and conclusions came from regardless of who did it (it just happened to be my dad in that case). And if he hadn't cited his work that would have been...plagiarism. And that's exactly what they would've called it if he'd done it while publishing a paper in private industry or federal research. Didn't matter where he did it.

Plagiarism includes failing to properly cite sources, remember.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:14:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Yes, it's still cheating even if a condom is used.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:17:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Um, no. I have over a dozen publications that are entirely owned by someone else (I signed away the copyright & publication rights when they were accepted). Grants you "own" the content still but you have to sign off if you have submitted the content to more than one agency. If it is rejected you can re-work it (or not) and turn it in again.  Maybe "plagiarism" isn't the best word, but outside of college unless you work for yourself pretty much everything you write for your job that is of any importance will no longer be "yours". In this case the policy is it can't be submitted to the same agency (the Univ.) twice according to that agencies' rules.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:20:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not cheating.

That is not true. You can use it outside of school for anything you want. You aren't transferring copyright and you aren't under their thumb for intellectual property. You just can't use it to break their policy by submitting it again to them.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:22:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Cheating is only cheating if you get caught.

College is about overcoming obstacles. Use any and all methods to get through it
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:25:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If the old work was published somewhere, it would be self-plagiarism and cheating.

If the old work was not published, it is just regular cheating.

But, you do whatever you think is right, and within whatever student conduct code to which you agreed by attending the school.

ETA: If it is all the same assignments with nothing different, why is it offered? Is there no way to challenge or test out of a superfluous class?
View Quote

Doesn't have to have been published, it's still self-plagiarism.  I'd talk to the instructor, maybe you can test out of the class or something.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:27:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
No, it's not "fine".

http://www.du.ac.in/du/uploads/research/06122014ithenticate-selfplagiarism.pdf

primarily because you're misrepresenting your writing as new (in response to the assignment given recently). This is academic dishonesty, not to mention lazy.

I would suggest that anyone that disagrees contact their dean / department heads to get confirmation that this is kosher with school policy. The fact that the OP decided to ask a bunch of strangers with no knowledge of those policies and, collectively, questionable morals, speaks volumes. I've gone through 8 years of college education thus far and have never once even thought about turning in the same work twice. Take pride in what you do, work your ass off, and when you're done you will have actually accomplished something and improved yourself. Alternatively, you can be a lazy ass, intent on taking the path of least resistance at every turn, and wind up with a piece of paper that really doesn't mean shit. Every school I've ever been to, you get out of it what you put into it. Don't cheat yourself out of learning.
View Quote

well on the same coin....people pay thousands of dollars for education...they should be getting education not copy and paste assignments...

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:28:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:29:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

and it is outright theft...if the assignments are copy and posted from other courses or classes...
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:33:36 AM EDT
[#41]
OP I turned in the same paper to different classes before.  Who cares?  It's not cheating.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:35:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Do you think your Professor is going to grade the work the same way the Associate who taught you remedial did?

You might be surprised.  The professor is not some $12 an hour peon.

My suggestion is to redo the work to the best of your ability.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:38:43 AM EDT
[#43]
actually, the big question is why a university is teaching a remedial course and the 102 course from the same material and assignments?

kind of lke my CS 300 level class in data structures.  we had a few grad students that were taking the 500 level data structures in the same class

for the most part, college is a scam/joke    <--- workin on MS (what can you do?)
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:39:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

If the university has a specific policy that defines it as cheating, then it doesn't matter what logic or fairness tells you.  It matters what their rules tell you (if you want to take classes from them).

Sort of how it makes perfect sense to safely drive 100mph on an empty highway at. 3:00 when there are no other cars on the road. - but a cop will still give you a ticket if he nails you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If the old work was published somewhere, it would be self-plagiarism and cheating.

If the old work was not published, it is just regular cheating.

But, you do whatever you think is right, and within whatever student conduct code to which you agreed by attending the school.

ETA: If it is all the same assignments with nothing different, why is it offered? Is there no way to challenge or test out of a superfluous class?

How is it cheating?
He can just say it was perfect the first time so after reviewing it he decided not to change anything.

+1

If the university is lazy enough to allow two sequential classes to use the exact same curriculum, why should OP be any less lazy?

If it was good enough for the first time, it will be good enough for the second time.

If the university has a specific policy that defines it as cheating, then it doesn't matter what logic or fairness tells you.  It matters what their rules tell you (if you want to take classes from them).

Sort of how it makes perfect sense to safely drive 100mph on an empty highway at. 3:00 when there are no other cars on the road. - but a cop will still give you a ticket if he nails you.

Yeah, and read carefully, I've seen re-use explicitly prohibited in many a class.  And if they use a plagiarism checker, you can only use them once anyway.

If it isn't explicitly prohibited though, I say re-use away...it's bullshit that you're paying to go over the same material.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:20:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
actually, the big question is why a university is teaching a remedial course and the 102 course from the same material and assignments?

kind of lke my CS 300 level class in data structures.  we had a few grad students that were taking the 500 level data structures in the same class

for the most part, college is a scam/joke    <--- workin on MS (what can you do?)
View Quote

The 500 level students had extra assignments and were graded differently. I've seen this exact thing with several of my upper level CS courses.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:21:58 AM EDT
[#46]
No and it sounds like a bullshit class to begin with.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:23:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Do you wanna learn something new: Yes

Do you wanna get your grade and move on: No.

When taking required classes for my degree, it was almost always the latter.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:25:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Just put quotation marks around each assignment you turn in, then credit yourself with the work.  This avoids the whole "plagiarism" issue
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:27:14 AM EDT
[#49]
No its not.

If you're an English major perhaps write something new
if you're not, fix errors to get a better grade.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:42:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Technically speaking, it is considered academic dishonesty and could get you in trouble if caught.  Personally, I think you should be able too.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top