Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/22/2015 5:06:05 PM EDT

I revised my paper explaining Mils/MOA, S-MOA and the Range
Equations by taking out the math parts and simplifying it for those not
interested in all the math. This is a reference manual. I hope you enjoy it, learn from it and pass it along.
Thank you.

Bob Simeone (Bags)

Note: Old original, a little more math involved, paper:

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:07:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Checking it out.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:08:54 PM EDT
[#2]
TAG for future reading.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Tag for later, thanks OP!
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:23:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:50:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I revised my paper explaining Mils/MOA, S-MOA and the RangeEquations by taking out the math parts and simplifying it for those notinterested in all the math. This is a reference manual. I hope you enjoy it, learn from it and pass it along.Thank you.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/265985865/Mils-MOA-A-Basic-Study-for-Shooters

Bob Simeone (Bags)

Note: Old original, a little more math involved, paper:

https://www.scribd.com/doc/251836084/Mils-MOA-and-the-Range-Estimation-Equations

View Quote

Links did not work. Said something about too many redirects and went to a page 404 error. A little help please as this is  topic I am interested. TIA.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:52:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:00:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Cool, thanks.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:06:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I just clicked on them, please try again. Sorry, it could have been the website.

Cold links:

https://www.scribd.com/doc/251836084/Mils-MOA-and-the-Range-Estimation-Equations
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:07:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I just clicked on them, please try again. Sorry, it could have been the website.

Cold links:

View Quote

Pdf?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:08:12 PM EDT
[#10]
It works for me , thanks
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:08:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Cool, thanks.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:17:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:17:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:22:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Actually, artillery and tanks,especially,use mils differently. What they are referring to is a gunner's mil, not a miliradian. A gunner's mil is 1/6400 part of a circle. So there are 17.778 mils per degree. There are 17.453 miliradians per degree. Russian and some other armies use different # of mils per degree.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:06:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Actually, artillery and tanks,especially,use mils differently. What they are referring to is a gunner's mil, not a miliradian. A gunner's mil is 1/6400 part of a circle. So there are 17.778 mils per degree. There are 17.453 miliradians per degree. Russian and some other armies use different # of mils per degree.
View Quote

I do talk about that briefly in the paper, bottom of page 14 and start of 15.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:15:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:05:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Thank you!
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:15:52 PM EDT
[#18]
It says I have to have a facebook or join with email, last I did that I got spammed horrible.  PDF Please?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:16:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:17:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Excellent thank you!
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:18:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Good work. Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:49:54 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

It says I have to have a facebook or join with email, last I did that I got spammed horrible.  PDF Please?
View Quote
Oh shoot!!!, I didn't know that. For those who can't get it online, I will be glad to email you it. Coming your way D-bass.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:42:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Oh shoot!!!, I didn't know that. For those who can't get it online, I will be glad to email you it. Coming your way D-bass.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can I get both of them via email as well please? Thanks
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:44:45 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:57:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:04:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
TAG for future reading.
View Quote

ditto
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:05:35 PM EDT
[#27]
I'd love a copy too, if you don't mind.  I'd like to download it and read it later, but cannot.  I'd love both versions.  I'm that weird guy that enjoys math.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:06:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Ost
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:37:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would like them as well. Can't ever have too many MIL/MOA explanations layin around
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:44:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
TAG for future reading.
View Quote

As an Appleseed instructor we cover the basics of MOA and finding an easier way to explain this to folks who've never heard of MOA would be great!
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:01:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I just don't jack with facebook but I'd appreciate the reading material.  Thanks again, email sent
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:15:35 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Can I also get emailed copies?

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:51:01 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote
I didn't know that. For those who want me to send it to you via email, hit the "Email User" (preferred method as it goes right to my email) or the "IM User" (buttons at the bottom of each post) with your email address and I'll send you both copies no problem. Thanks, Bags

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:57:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Thank you. I had no problem accessing the pages.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:00:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Tag for later.  0500 is way too early for that type of reading.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:07:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

There is no such thing as a gunners mil, its a mil or a NATO Mil.  The Russian system is called the DC system and is 1/6000 of a circle.  

The Mil has been used by European militaries since the late 1800s and entered US military service in 1904 when we bought French Pantels, it also used on various other sights, compasses and on tripods.  

The shooting community has misappropriated the term Mil to refer to milaradians, a term that had been used for over a hundred years and on thousands of weapons sights prior to the guys at WTBN using milradians instead of mils like the rest of the military.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:09:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:15:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am certainly NO EXPERT.........was it wrong for me to always assume that 1 mil is 1,000th of my distance to the target?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:21:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

There is no such thing as a gunners mil, its a mil or a NATO Mil.  The Russian system is called the DC system and is 1/6000 of a circle.  

The Mil has been used by European militaries since the late 1800s and entered US military service in 1904 when we bought French Pantels, it also used on various other sights, compasses and on tripods.  

The shooting community has misappropriated the term Mil to refer to milaradians, a term that had been used for over a hundred years and on thousands of weapons sights prior to the guys at WTBN using milradians instead of mils like the rest of the military.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How did they get 1/6,000?

There are always double the PIE amounts of radius around a circle........or 6.28 times the radius and 3.14 times the diameter across the circle.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:24:26 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd appreciate a copy if it isnt too much to ask. Thanks

Jason
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:36:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Hey thanks, I just retrived the new and older version with my scribed app.  I read through the newer one 27 pages, it looks and reads well.  Good explanation of the MOA.  

Solid work.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:42:18 AM EDT
[#42]

There are always double the PIE amounts of radius around a circle........or 6.28 times the radius and 3.14 times the diameter across the circle.
View Quote
They artificially divid a circle into however many "mils" they want, whether it's 1/6000, 1/6400, 1/6300 etc. They then use trigonometry to figure out the equations for distance measurements. In 2007 when I first wrote my papers on the subject, I actually did it on both the "true mil" and what some called the "military mil" (1/6400). When I called the scope manufactures up to find out which one they used, (many didn't really know at first and had to research it) they all said they used the real or "true mil" in their scopes. Therefore, I rewrote it on just the "true" mil version. I might have an old copy of it. I'll see if I can't fetch out a picture of it. EDITED: Found it.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:45:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
They artificially divid a circle into however many "mils" they want, whether it's 1/6000, 1/6400, 1/6300 etc. They then use trigonometry to figure out the equations for distance measurements. In 2007 when I first wrote my papers on the subject, I actually did it on both the "true mil" and what some called the "military mil" (1/6400). When I called the scope manufactures up to find out which one they used, (many didn't really know at first and had to research it) they all said they used the real or "true mil" in their scopes. Therefore, I rewrote it on just the "true" mil version. I might have an old copy of it. I'll see if I can't fetch out a picture of it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

They artificially divid a circle into however many "mils" they want, whether it's 1/6000, 1/6400, 1/6300 etc. They then use trigonometry to figure out the equations for distance measurements. In 2007 when I first wrote my papers on the subject, I actually did it on both the "true mil" and what some called the "military mil" (1/6400). When I called the scope manufactures up to find out which one they used, (many didn't really know at first and had to research it) they all said they used the real or "true mil" in their scopes. Therefore, I rewrote it on just the "true" mil version. I might have an old copy of it. I'll see if I can't fetch out a picture of it.  

Thanks........I am assuming the Russians just made 6 equal triangles out of a circle and 1,000 mils per each triangle..........which gave them 1/6000 per mil.  Just arbitrary I assume.

Also........if you have a guy you know is, or assume is, 2 meters tall and he covers 2 mils on your target you would know he was 1,000 meters distant.............right?

ETA:  Thanks for the update!!

I like the non Russian one (true mil) better.........easier math wise IMHO.

Your update shows the height of the target in yards in our system is what is used rather than in meters...........I always assumed meters.........thanks again!!
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:03:27 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Thanks........I am assuming the Russians just made 6 equal triangles out of a circle and 1,000 mils per each triangle..........which gave them 1/6000 per mil.  Just arbitrary I assume.

Also........if you have a guy you know is, or assume is, 2 meters tall and he covers 2 mils on your target you would know he was 1,000 meters distant.............right?

I like the non Russian one better.........easier math wise IMHO.

Your update shows the height of the target in yards in our system is what is used rather than in meters...........I always assumed meters.........thanks again!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I like the non Russian one better.........easier math wise IMHO.

Yes, using the 4th equation down on page-25 of the short version, you would get 1000 meters distance to him. P.S.  I hope I'm not that guy that I just helped you range.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:04:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yes, using the 4th equation down on page-25 of the short version, you would get 1000 meters distance to him. P.S.  I hope I'm not that guy that I just helped you range.
View Quote

No, no.........you are just affirming things I assumed...........nice to know I was right on something for a change.

ETA:  But now I don't know how the heck our military got 1/6,400?

6.4 triangles per circle?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:07:27 AM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

Remember, mils are independent of the units used. They express a ratio of the arc to the radius in whatever units you prefer. See pages 5-7 of the short version.

Edit:

RDak, Roger. Sorry I misunderstood.  

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:10:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Remember, mils are independent of the units used. They express a ratio of the arc to the radius in whatever units you prefer. See pages 5-7 of the short version.

Edit:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Edit:

Got it.......................thanks for affirming all this stuff..........I never really knew for sure at all.

I was just going by what I thought the math was.........had no idea if it was correct.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:13:55 AM EDT
[#48]

ETA:  But now I don't know how the heck our military got 1/6,400?

6.4 triangles per circle?
View Quote

They worked backwards. They just divided up the circle into 6400 small sections they called "mils", then figured out via trigonometry what each of those "mils" equaled and came up with an equation. That's how I did it way back in '08 (see my pic posted a few above of that original paper).

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:14:46 AM EDT
[#49]
tag for later
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:15:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Awesome thread. I'm just starting to learn to range targets. This couldn't have come at a better time.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top