Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:17:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Grow some balls.... what's more important... making sure your family is safe and taken care of or not hurting poor dad's feelings?  Like others have said... you don't need an EXCUSE... you already have REASONS.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:19:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Show him the place. Then swap cabins. If he says, " Iam not staying there"
Say, " Me either."
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:21:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Go to your dad's house...

Tell him that your belly has been feeling kind of twisty, maybe from something you ate.  

Then loudly and dramatically shit your pants.  You will want to have prepped by not taking your morning shit when you get out of bed.

Everybody will be okay with you going home.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:23:18 PM EDT
[#4]
You shouldn't need much just because of the baby.  We stayed in a small open air shack in WI a few years ago when my oldest was a baby.  It was better than a tent.  What got me was when you mentioned blood on the sheets.  That is a deal breaker for me!  I tend to be blunt with my family so I would tell them the shack sucks and leave.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:25:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get in the car, call them when you are hour on the road and tell them the baby accidentally ate a cockroach in the dump he rented for you. They were crawling all over the place. You have to get him to his pediatrician pronto and your wife to the dermatologist for the rash she got from something on the sheets.

Don't forget to mention you're coming down with a cold because the heater didn't work.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:26:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

it sounds better than my cabin, but I wouldn't want to stay there with a baby.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
First off, It's Maggie Valley, not "Maggie's Valley."

Never been camping before? What you described to a "T" is my cabin in the mountains. We have a blast there regardless of the weather.

I'd head into town and purchase a kerosene heater, kerosene and a double sleeping bag. Next thing I'd do is quit whining and enjoy the beauty of the mountains during winter.

it sounds better than my cabin, but I wouldn't want to stay there with a baby.

Yeah, you're probably right.

Although we've had family visit our cabin with babies or very young children during the summer. Winter is a little different I guess.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:32:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Unless you stand to inherit a shitload of money from him, tell him your wife considers the accommodations unacceptable and the three of you are going home.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:49:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Unless you stand to inherit a shitload of money from him, tell him your wife considers the accommodations unacceptable and the three of you are going home.
View Quote

LOL blame the wife, that's a good one.  Just tell dad the truth, the place is a dump and he needs to get a refund from the landlord.  Hopefully he paid with a credit card so he can dispute the charge.

I've been "camping" before during the winter with an infant and slept in the shed on land I own, but I was prepared for it and brought my own clean bedding, heater, etc.  We also have power on site and the refrigerator in the shed worked just fine, and so did the microwave... which is why "camping" is in quotes.  Sounds like the OP's accomodations are worse.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 4:01:36 PM EDT
[#9]
just tell the truth, sir.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 4:10:46 PM EDT
[#10]
You're in a cabin in the mountains,  suck it up sunshine.

(this opinion could change depending on who paid for and how much was paid for the cabin)
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 4:14:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Hotels.com would have mentioned the finger.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 4:18:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

LOL blame the wife, that's a good one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL blame the wife, that's a good one.

Yeah, well, you know: when in Rome ...
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 4:20:05 PM EDT
[#13]
bring a douche for your dads vagina when you tell him
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 4:24:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
"This place is a dump; we're leaving."
View Quote

This.

Invite Dad to stay in the shack, you'll stay at his place.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 4:25:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Maggie's Valley.  

My Dad is a special kind. You just have to try and keep the peace.  Our tempers clash, there isn't a calm conversation about things like this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where are you at? The Smokies?

Maggie's Valley.  

My Dad is a special kind. You just have to try and keep the peace.  Our tempers clash, there isn't a calm conversation about things like this.

WTF?

Are you an adult?

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 4:25:38 PM EDT
[#16]
You're a grown ass man. Stop worrying about pissing people off when making decisions in the best interest of your family.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 4:27:38 PM EDT
[#17]
It is disturbing just how concise " First Post " replies are.

And I gotta agree with it.

gd
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 4:41:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm gonna go against the grain here.
Your father probably rented for you without seeing it. Thing is he was trying to do something special for you. Maybe he was there once a long time ago when it was nice. Maybe there is some amazing views and scenery you are missing that he thought you would enjoy as a 2nd honeymoon. Mountain cabins are not meant to be lived it, they are sleeping shacks, you should be outside not inside - except to sleep.
Bringing the baby may not have been the smartest thing, but who chose to do that? Maybe you should have left him at the grandparents.
The sheet deal is bad, but drive to the nearest walmart and buy some new fucking sheets and make the fucking bed. Then go for a hike, rent an ATV, go drive the mountain roads - do something besides sit around and bitch. Enjoy the outdoors. Maybe that was his plan.
Damn I wish my dad was still alive and would have rented a mountain cabin for me and wife. What a thoughtful man he must be. You will dearly miss him when he's gone.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 4:44:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

thats not too hard is it?

who cares if your Dad gets pissed off?  Its your family..
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 4:50:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 4:52:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Maggie's Valley.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Maggie's Valley.  

Your family comes first.  That is, your wife and child.

Those arrangements are clearly and obviously insufficient when you have an infant. If your dad was misled as to the condition of those accommodations, his beef is with whoever misled him.  If he misled you, well, that's just another reason to leave.

You tried to keep the peace be trying to make flophouse level accommodation work.  It didn't.  If he can't have a calm conversation about this, then that's yet another reason to leave.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 4:52:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Tell him to come look at it.

Tell him it was false advertising.

Go home.

When he gets mad stay calm and look at him and ask if you are wrong in the place being a dump and you and your family not putting up with it just to try to make him happy.

Alternative is mom and dad stay in dump and you stay at their place but I don't know if that is worth the hassle either.

I understand the not getting along thing but it kind of needs settled.  You both should comprehend it and no one is happy if everyone is mad, so stick to facts and bring it back to facts if it strays.

The concept that you feel you need to make up an excuse is wrong.

Facts.  Nothin but the facts.

I have seen relatives so mad I wonder if they are going to have a stroke or a heart attack, but overall it is simple to deal with.  It comes down to the concept that someone is right and someone is wrong and if they can't be a man or woman able to take being wrong then tough.

I don't like being wrong, but now and then it happens and I deal with it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 4:59:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Kinda sounds like you've made your decision: Your dad's happiness is more important than your family's.  So why are you asking us?

I never understood people who take crap from family members to "keep the peace".  How is that keeping the peace?  Your wife is watching this and it will affect her opinion of you going forward.  Your first duty is to her and your child.

And of course, there was already a guy in the thread defending the dad.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:04:56 PM EDT
[#24]
In a back room, set your alarm on your phone for 5min. Go back to where everyone is and sit down and wait. When your alarm goes off, get up, turn your alarm off and say, "well, my cookies are done". Walk out, get in your truck and leave. Simple.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:10:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:29:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Dad, just came down with a case of anal glaucoma.  I don't see my family staying in this shithole any longer.

Done and on your way.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:31:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:34:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Trade lodging with mom and dad; let them stay in the dump and let him vent his unbridled anger on the owner of the dump.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:36:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Was it described as Rustic, Quaint, Adorable, Cozy, Cottage, Rural, Compact,..................?
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:36:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Sorry to hear about your bad case of the runs. Too bad you really need to get home...
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:43:39 PM EDT
[#31]

Damned ceramic heaters, they really are a fire hazard.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:49:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Is the OP still there or what????

Hopefully he's on his way home - If so wife will be happy to provide him with a very happy ending. If not well he's an idiot
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:50:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm in the smokies... Traffic was rough today. But other then that it's been great.

But I paid $1200 for the cabin for the week and it was nice...

I learned at a young age when I take the family on vacation to suck it up and pay for a nice place. 2 years ago we went to Disney world for a week and stayed in a Disney Resort. Money well spent. When I was in college we would sleep anywhere that was cheap. Hell just last week I grabbed a $32 a night roach motel during a deer hunting trip. But I was alone driving. Would have never put kids there.

OP.... You have a family now. Go pay for a nice place. And learn the lesson most of us do eventually. Your children need a clean safe place. And that almost always costs more.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:50:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sasquatch wouldn't spend a minute in this dump
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:51:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Like others have said, tell them you have to think of the child's welfare.  My dad started saying something really stupid yesterday and I interrupted and said it wasn't appropriate for little girls to hear.  He stopped saying it and we all moved on.  I don't know if he took offense or not, frankly I don't care, I have to think of my kids.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:56:39 PM EDT
[#36]
None of this makes any sense.

Let's start with some pictures of the place.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 6:31:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Maggie's Valley.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maggie's Valley.  

Oh for fucks sake, explain the place is a dump, and if he has a problem with it that's just too damn bad. Its HIS problem, not yours.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 6:33:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Apparently OP hasn't bothered to show back up.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 6:33:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Be your own man and leader of your family.

Dad doesn't have to like your decision.

Wife and kids come first.

End of discussion.
View Quote

This.

There is only an argument if you argue. There is no need to debate the issue. Or even get dramatic. You just state the obvious and leave. Maybe tell him next year when the baby is older it would be a great idea, now is a bad time though.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 6:36:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Be your own man and leader of your family.

Dad doesn't have to like your decision.

Wife and kids come first.

End of discussion.
View Quote

This.   Hammer hit nail on head.

Or. "EDNA.  THIS IS YOUR TENT"
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 6:40:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm gonna go against the grain here.

Your father probably rented for you without seeing it. Thing is he was trying to do something special for you. Maybe he was there once a long time ago when it was nice. Maybe there is some amazing views and scenery you are missing that he thought you would enjoy as a 2nd honeymoon. Mountain cabins are not meant to be lived it, they are sleeping shacks, you should be outside not inside - except to sleep.

Bringing the baby may not have been the smartest thing, but who chose to do that? Maybe you should have left him at the grandparents.

The sheet deal is bad, but drive to the nearest walmart and buy some new fucking sheets and make the fucking bed. Then go for a hike, rent an ATV, go drive the mountain roads - do something besides sit around and bitch. Enjoy the outdoors. Maybe that was his plan.

Damn I wish my dad was still alive and would have rented a mountain cabin for me and wife. What a thoughtful man he must be. You will dearly miss him when he's gone.      
View Quote

It's a baby not a puppy! Camping and hiking can be done any time.

I like to camp and hike as much as the next person but not everyone wants to surprise rough it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 7:00:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Just do what my 3 yr old does, he shits himself, then we have to leave. No one argues because they don't want to smell it either. Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 7:00:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Stay. Trade accommodations with your parents.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 7:08:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

This ^^^^

I'd have been on my way back home straight away and demanding a refund.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:48:44 PM EDT
[#45]
You can post on arfcom while waitiing on your other testicle to drop but you can't post a picture of the place? No picture? Not real, just a lot of whining drama.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:55:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Just fucking leave.

Grow a set.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:03:05 PM EDT
[#47]
The sooner you break his hold on you the better. It may be painful at first, but it will be better
in the end. Control freaks control. They do not stop. You have to stop them. I have seen it

many times in the past.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:06:11 PM EDT
[#48]
"dad, you found us a shithole to rent.  thanks, but we're leaving."

if you dont have the balls for that, blame it on the baby.  baby is cold, baby is sick, baby wont eat, something like that
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:10:06 PM EDT
[#49]
In for pics.

Where are the pics of the cabin?
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:15:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
In for pics.

Where are the pics of the cabin?
View Quote

yep need cabin pics. Oh and I went to the smokies. It was interesting to say the least.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top