Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:42:34 PM EDT
[#1]
His partner put it best when he said that Serpico always played the victim card, that he didn't want to rat, but he couldn't stand what was around him. Well, he volunteered to go to narcotics. Good cops had a code back then and would tell their partners, "I don't take money or shakedown motorists" . If the other cop was dirty he'd find a new partner.
View Quote

I get what you're saying but do you read what you write?  Right there you're condoning criminal behavior by law enforcement.  You think that if you don't participate your hands are clean.  Well, they're not, my friend.  They might not as dirty as the cop on the take, but condoning and accepting that behavior is dirty in and of itself.

There is no place in law enforcement for anyone other than honest law abiding officers who don't tolerate, in any form, corruption.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:46:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

From 3 cops I knew at three different times. Two were members of the NY Stakeout Unit, one of which was in the academy with Serpico. The other was partners with one of Serpico's partners. I was young at the time and had seen the movie and remembered the TV series as a kid, I thought like many people that he was a hero and asked Jim and Dave because they served at the same time, then found out that Dave was in the academy with him.

His partner's partner put it best when he said that Serpico always played the victim card, that he didn't want to rat, but he couldn't stand what was around him. Well, he volunteered to go to narcotics. Good cops had a code back then and would tell their partners, "I don't take money or shakedown motorists" . If the other cop was dirty he'd find a new partner.

He put himself in those situations because he wanted to be the whistleblower. The cop Pacino played was simply not the reality.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
He has balls and followed the true code of the badge. Not easy to do with so many on the take.

Bullshit

Serpico was a flat-out snitch from his academy days. When his class was cut loose for lunch they were told not to go outside the academy in their grey uniforms. Alot of them at the time were Vietnam vets and would go out for lunch or a smoke break in their uniforms anyway. Little Francis would write down the names of all the guys and turn them in like a tattletale pussy.

The guys he busted? Guys who took packets of dope to pay off junkie informers because NYPD gave them $24 a week for snitch money. Guys who stole money from drug dealers. There never was a single cop he busted that was getting mega payoffs from dealers unless you take the movie with Pacino as a documentary.

So how do I know you tell the truth and other not ?

May I just ask you were you get these information from ? im honestly curious

From 3 cops I knew at three different times. Two were members of the NY Stakeout Unit, one of which was in the academy with Serpico. The other was partners with one of Serpico's partners. I was young at the time and had seen the movie and remembered the TV series as a kid, I thought like many people that he was a hero and asked Jim and Dave because they served at the same time, then found out that Dave was in the academy with him.

His partner's partner put it best when he said that Serpico always played the victim card, that he didn't want to rat, but he couldn't stand what was around him. Well, he volunteered to go to narcotics. Good cops had a code back then and would tell their partners, "I don't take money or shakedown motorists" . If the other cop was dirty he'd find a new partner.

He put himself in those situations because he wanted to be the whistleblower. The cop Pacino played was simply not the reality.

Yeah good cops try to avoid crooked cops rather than turning them in. Are you high?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:49:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Bullshit

Serpico was a flat-out snitch from his academy days. When his class was cut loose for lunch they were told not to go outside the academy in their grey uniforms. Alot of them at the time were Vietnam vets and would go out for lunch or a smoke break in their uniforms anyway. Little Francis would write down the names of all the guys and turn them in like a tattletale pussy.

The guys he busted? Guys who took packets of dope to pay off junkie informers because NYPD gave them $24 a week for snitch money. Guys who stole money from drug dealers. There never was a single cop he busted that was getting mega payoffs from dealers unless you take the movie with Pacino as a documentary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He has balls and followed the true code of the badge. Not easy to do with so many on the take.

Bullshit

NOW You Dun Did it.......... the usual suspects will be calling for your to be keelhauled for bringing actual facts into it...
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:02:05 PM EDT
[#4]
So ex cop gets shot in the line of duty and works to out corrupt cops and ARFCOM cops talk shit about said cop.

I love it the hypocrisy.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:05:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

So ex cop gets shot in the line of duty and works to out corrupt cops and ARFCOM cops talk shit about said cop.

View Quote

I love it the hypocrisy.

Certainly is the polar opposite of the often repeated mantra "good cops want bad cops off the street as much as anyone".....

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:06:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thin blue line bro

Cops ARE out of control. The abuse of power is running rampant and the majority of the "good ones" are just as bad because they keep quiet about it. The "us v them" is attitude becoming more and more prevalent and with the increased militarization of LEOs it's a recipe for disaster. Videos are posted DAILY of police gunning down citizens and bystanders. Sure there are some honorable men who wear the uniform, but there is an increasing number of shitbags with badges. IMO the power needs to be directed back to a more accountable place via empowering local sheriff's offices(an elected position).

I say this as someone who has worked in law enforcement and has seen the corruption first hand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck him.

Would you care to expound on this?  I'm honestly curious....

Thin blue line bro

Cops ARE out of control. The abuse of power is running rampant and the majority of the "good ones" are just as bad because they keep quiet about it. The "us v them" is attitude becoming more and more prevalent and with the increased militarization of LEOs it's a recipe for disaster. Videos are posted DAILY of police gunning down citizens and bystanders. Sure there are some honorable men who wear the uniform, but there is an increasing number of shitbags with badges. IMO the power needs to be directed back to a more accountable place via empowering local sheriff's offices(an elected position).

I say this as someone who has worked in law enforcement and has seen the corruption first hand.

Oh, Lord.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:10:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Bullshit

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit

Thats hilarious. Cops earn their pay basically being the snitch for the DA and magistrates.  They see something and bring charges with evidence against all kinds of folks, some shit very minor but nonetheless they snitch to their bosses anyway.

A cop makes them follow their own rules and it's fuck him!

LAWL.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:13:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thats hilarious. Cops earn their pay basically being the snitch for the DA and magistrates.  They see something and bring charges with evidence against all kinds of folks, some shit very minor but nonetheless they snitch to their bosses anyway.

LAWL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit

LAWL.

LoL indeed
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:22:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I thought he'd be taller.  
View Quote

He's about 2-3" shorter than i am, probably from the way he carried himself. .  His folks lived 3 houses from us, met him a few times.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:25:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Fuck him.
View Quote

This. Fuckin' Hippie was off the job 40 years ago, totally irrelevant
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:28:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Bullshit

Serpico was a flat-out snitch from his academy days. When his class was cut loose for lunch they were told not to go outside the academy in their grey uniforms. A lot of them at the time were Vietnam vets and would go out for lunch or a smoke break in their uniforms anyway. Little Francis would write down the names of all the guys and turn them in like a tattletale pussy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit

Serpico was a flat-out snitch from his academy days. When his class was cut loose for lunch they were told not to go outside the academy in their grey uniforms. A lot of them at the time were Vietnam vets and would go out for lunch or a smoke break in their uniforms anyway. Little Francis would write down the names of all the guys and turn them in like a tattletale pussy.

When I was US Army AD in the 70's we were not suppose to go off Base in our Fatigues, except if you lived off base..... Then straight to your Home without stopping.....

Many times I saw other Soldiers off base in Fatigues & never felt the urge to Tattle on them... I guess that made Me a Corrupt Soldier, too......

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:35:13 PM EDT
[#12]
this thread is a fucking riot.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:48:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:51:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Bullshit

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit

You are repeating stories that you have no personal knowledge of their truth.  Stories told originally by people who had a very personal interest in discrediting Serpico.

Don't believe everything you read or hear.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:52:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Bullshit

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit

The details of your story do not seem to add up. I just glossed over the wikipedia entry and they said he joined the NYPD in 1959 and became a full patrolman in 1960. The US wasn't heavily involved in Vietnam until at least 1964.

I'm guessing the truth is somewhere between Saint Serpico the incorruptible and Serpico the backstabbing traitor. Though I'm thinking if the guys he snitched on were the type willing to set people up to be murdered he was probably in the right.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:55:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:01:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Bullshit

Serpico was a flat-out snitch from his academy days. When his class was cut loose for lunch they were told not to go outside the academy in their grey uniforms. Alot of them at the time were Vietnam vets and would go out for lunch or a smoke break in their uniforms anyway. Little Francis would write down the names of all the guys and turn them in like a tattletale pussy.The guys he busted? Guys who took packets of dope to pay off junkie informers because NYPD gave them $24 a week for snitch money. Guys who stole money from drug dealers. There never was a single cop he busted that was getting mega payoffs from dealers unless you take the movie with Pacino as a documentary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit

Serpico was a flat-out snitch from his academy days. When his class was cut loose for lunch they were told not to go outside the academy in their grey uniforms. Alot of them at the time were Vietnam vets and would go out for lunch or a smoke break in their uniforms anyway. Little Francis would write down the names of all the guys and turn them in like a tattletale pussy.The guys he busted? Guys who took packets of dope to pay off junkie informers because NYPD gave them $24 a week for snitch money. Guys who stole money from drug dealers. There never was a single cop he busted that was getting mega payoffs from dealers unless you take the movie with Pacino as a documentary.

What do you mean by the Vietnam reference in this?  The article has him saying that he "entered the force as a rookie patrolman on Sept. 11, 1959."

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:04:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What do you mean by the Vietnam reference in this?  The article has him saying that he "entered the force as a rookie patrolman on Sept. 11, 1959."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit

Now now, no need to cloud this issue with actual facts.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:08:09 PM EDT
[#19]
"In the NYPD, it used to be you’d fire two shots and then you would assess the situation. You didn’t go off like a madman and empty your magazine and reload. Today it seems these police officers just empty their guns and automatic weapons without thinking, in acts of callousness or racism. They act like they’re in shooting galleries. Today’s uncontrolled firepower, combined with a lack of good training and adequate screening of police academy candidates,  has led to a devastating drop in standards. The infamous case of Amadou Diallo in New York—who was shot 41 times in 1999 for no obvious reason—is more typical than you might think. The shooters, of course, were absolved of any wrongdoing, as they almost always are. All a policeman has to say is that “the suspect turned toward me menacingly,” and he does not have to worry about prosecution. In a 2010 case recorded on a police camera in Seattle, John Williams, a 50-year-old traditional carver of the Nuu-chah-nulth First Nations (tribes), was shot four times by police as he walked across the street with a pocketknife and a piece of cedar in his hands. He died at the scene. It’s like the Keystone Kops, but without being funny at all."

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:09:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Bullshit

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit

Your moral compass is broken. If you ever had one.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:10:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck him.

Thin blue line bro

Someone sounds familiar
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:13:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The details of your story do not seem to add up. I just glossed over the wikipedia entry and they said he joined the NYPD in 1959 and became a full patrolman in 1960. The US wasn't heavily involved in Vietnam until at least 1964.

I'm guessing the truth is somewhere between Saint Serpico the incorruptible and Serpico the backstabbing traitor. Though I'm thinking if the guys he snitched on were the type willing to set people up to be murdered he was probably in the right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit

Well, that may have been my bad. That was a conversation I had over 20 years ago. He may have said "veterans" and I assumed "Vietnam veterans".
And yeah, setting him up to get shot like that was pretty cuntish behavior.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:15:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit

I've probably never had one.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:45:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit

The end justifies the means?  
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:54:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

There was a generation that thought you should shoot to wound, not kill.  Or stop the threat.  Whatever.

BTW Extorris is Serpico.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've seen the movie many times and read the book several times and have to give the guy a lot of credit for staying the course through all he had to endure, and endured alone. That said, this article reveals some peculiar sentiments.

From the article:
It wasn’t any surprise to me that, after Michael Brown was shot dead in Ferguson, officers instinctively lined up behind Darren Wilson, the cop who allegedly killed Brown. Officer Wilson may well have had cause to fire if Brown was attacking him, as some reports suggest, but it is also possible we will never know the full truth—whether, for example, it was really necessary for Wilson to shoot Brown at least six times, killing rather than just wounding him.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/10/the-police-are-still-out-of-control-112160_Page2.html#ixzz3HZiyVD46

Wut?

There was a generation that thought you should shoot to wound, not kill.  Or stop the threat.  Whatever.

BTW Extorris is Serpico.

Well then...
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:01:09 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit

You realize you're defending cops who rob people as though it's perfectly fine, right?

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:03:56 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

NOW You Dun Did it.......... the usual suspects will be calling for your to be keelhauled for bringing actual facts into it...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit

Here's a fact: you're giving him shit for turning in cops who robbed people.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:38:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Prove they are 'facts'.  He posted what would be at best unverifiable hearsay, which actually supports Serpico's contention there was widespread graft and even the ones not taking it were not doing anything about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit

Prove they are 'facts'.  He posted what would be at best unverifiable hearsay, which actually supports Serpico's contention there was widespread graft and even the ones not taking it were not doing anything about it.

Cop said it.  That makes it fact.  Problem with that?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:40:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:44:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

No a guy on the internet said it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cop said it.  That makes it fact.  Problem with that?

No a guy on the internet said it.

That was sarcasm
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:05:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You're not helping your case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit

You're not helping your case.

He really isn't.

Most of the corruption I remember from the Peter Maas book concerned Mafia money for the plainclothes cops to look the other way while the bookies took calls at pay phones in bars and the like. I don't remember if it discussed drug payoffs. Al Seedman, the NYPD Chief of Detectives at the time, had an equally low opinion of plainclothes. So, the question must be how could those guys operate in an environment that was built specifically to put them in jail?

As for his thoughts about firing two shots, he's only fooling himself. He was a cop when there were riots all across the country in the sixties and the Black Liberation Army was killing cops in New York and California in the seventies. That's on top of the various bombings during the same time. Cops were nervous and legitimately so.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:47:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:54:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Irrelevant guy wants to be relevant again.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:56:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I wish I had a rabbit in a hat with a bat and a six four Impala.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish I was a baller...

I wish I had a girl like your avatar, I would call her...

I wish I was like six foot nine, so I could get with Leoshi.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:03:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Irrelevant guy wants to be relevant again.
View Quote

Similar to the hollywood folks and Al Ghore
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:12:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

And yeah, setting him up to get shot like that was pretty cuntish behavior.

View Quote

Cuntish.  

That's one way to describe being an accessory to murder.  

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:18:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit

Who gives a shit about the part in red, how about not steal from people, whether they are criminals or not.

The part in blue, good on him.  If cops are "shaking down motorists" then they need to be penalized and prosecuted.

As to the part about him "tattling" in the Academy, I think that's bullshit.  He shouldn't have been doing that and it really does give some insight into his character (really, who gives a shit if someone goes outside to smoke in their uniform).  Just because he was a kissass prick in the Academy doesn't make him wrong for reporting on crimes being committed by fellow officers on the job.

And before you give me some self righteous bullshit, I work in LE.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:28:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Who gives a shit about the part in red, how about not steal from people, whether they are criminals or not.

The part in blue, good on him.  If cops are "shaking down motorists" then they need to be penalized and prosecuted.

As to the part about him "tattling" in the Academy, I think that's bullshit.  He shouldn't have been doing that and it really does give some insight into his character (really, who gives a shit if someone goes outside to smoke in their uniform).  Just because he was a kissass prick in the Academy doesn't make him wrong for reporting on crimes being committed by fellow officers on the job.

View Quote

In 1959 I can't see anyone giving a shit about having a smoke in uniform let alone a "rule".
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:33:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Why?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck him.

Why?

Broke the code would be my guess
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:42:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I stopped reading when I got to the part about officer Wilson.
View Quote

Yeah, he is a moron like any other "when I was a cop we didn't need anything more than a .38" guy out there.

He's down on cops having AR's and body armor, I wonder what GD's hero thinks about "civilian" ownership of "assault rifles"?

It's nice he could work in some Al Sharpton approved race baiting as well.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:49:52 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
In 1959 I can't see anyone giving a shit about having a smoke in uniform let alone a "rule".
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

1959.... Not sure I believe a Story about them having to go outside to Smoke.........

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:51:00 AM EDT
[#42]
So stealing shit from criminals is okay... Fuck juries... and all that shit... Thin Blue Line is way better!

Seriously... some of you should try to sound like less of a douche. Just try.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:51:29 AM EDT
[#43]
I read the article.  He's not entirely wrong, but since he hasn't worked the job since about 1972, his perspective is skewed and his knowledge base is limited.  Now, he has about as much insight as my barber.

Citizen review boards can be something of a help sometimes, but a number of followup studies have shown them to be of questionable efficacy with no clear metrics for success.

Probably about the best that can be hoped for is better screening of applicants and a proactive internal affairs department that utilizes an early warning system (it has been shown that it's usually the same officers who generate the most incidents, not unlike the general citizenry) and integrity tests.
However, that takes time, money, and commitment and a lot of places still operate on the premise that "no news is good news".

Community oriented policing is grand, but it's pretty tough to implement if you're understaffed and your guys are going call to call to call all shift, as is the case in many places that have had to cut staff or forego hiring replacements for retirees.

I'm a bit amused about the idea that there's a "Blue Wall of Silence", as if that's unique to police work.  There's a tendency in almost any line of work that strongly self-identifies to insulate its members to some degree, leading to tolerance of wrongdoing and shenanigans.  Ask anybody who is privy to the inner workings of the social circles in the medical and legal fields.

The professionalization of local law enforcement in America really only dates to about the 1960s.  It's a work in progress.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:54:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Thin blue line bro

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck him.

Thin blue line bro

Many factors contribute to the "us vs. them" mentality.

It's a two way street.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:56:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish I was a baller...

I wish I had a girl like your avatar, I would call her...

Cause she don't know me but yo she's really fine, you know she see Extorris all the time...
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:58:49 AM EDT
[#46]
You know the score pal, if you're not cop you're little people.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:01:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You know the score pal, if you're not cop you're little people.
View Quote

That's right and don't you forget it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:05:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I worked for the State of Florida for 24 years.  Trying to find any administrator at any level who is willing to fight corruption within the system is difficult.  They are rare and don't last long.
View Quote

I've been told several times I'm too much of a troublemaker to ever be promoted, but I'm too good at my job and too well-known in the community to be gotten rid of. I find that the guys on the street are, contrary to media fantasies, mostly honest and doing the best they can with what they've got. From what I've seen, elected LE (Sheriffs) tend to be both the most dishonest and the best at covering it up.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:07:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I've been told several times I'm too much of a troublemaker to ever be promoted, but I'm too good at my job and too well-known in the community to be gotten rid of. I find that the guys on the street are, contrary to media fantasies, mostly honest and doing the best they can with what they've got. From what I've seen, elected LE (Sheriffs) tend to be both the most dishonest and the best at covering it up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I worked for the State of Florida for 24 years.  Trying to find any administrator at any level who is willing to fight corruption within the system is difficult.  They are rare and don't last long.

Many chiefs have a city manager to answer to so there's that element of boss subordinate relationship that sheriffs don't have.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:08:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Good for him.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top