Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:00:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Spetsnaz and Inuit have had more shootouts than we will ever know.
View Quote

Seriously?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:09:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm for a .308 no4 mkii. Or I'm for cranking up .303 production so there's some to surplus again. I'm happy either way.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:10:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The design is timeless.  If arctic conditions are too extreme for a self-loading rifle, then restart manufacture of the No.4MkII with modern steels, and chambered for the 7.62 NATO cartridge.  Or not.  

Nothing wrong with the .303, either.  It has its own rule, after all.

View Quote

Damned right it does
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:11:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I read this years ago:

"There is a persistent story, denied by the Pentagon but confirmed by Alaskan sources, that an Eskimo member of the Alaskan Scouts (National Guard) was apparently shot to death after stumbling upon a Spetsnaz reconaisance unit in Alaska. Reports indicate that authorities discovered footprints leading from the murder scene to the water's edge, as well as mini-sub tracks nearby in shallow water. In addition, a piece of equipment found at the scene was identified as being of Soviet origin. The incident has produced serious dissension within the ranks of the Alaskan Scouts: Several members have refused to patrol the area of the shooting and others have resigned. [Editor's note: SOF has learned that the item of Soviet equipment found next to the body of the Eskimo Scout on Little Diomede Island was a Soviet NBC decontamination kit. In addition, an autopsy performed on the scout revealed that he had been killed by a dum-dum bullet of a type known to be favored by Spetsnaz teams."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

snip

Speculation, or have you read something?

I read this years ago:

"There is a persistent story, denied by the Pentagon but confirmed by Alaskan sources, that an Eskimo member of the Alaskan Scouts (National Guard) was apparently shot to death after stumbling upon a Spetsnaz reconaisance unit in Alaska. Reports indicate that authorities discovered footprints leading from the murder scene to the water's edge, as well as mini-sub tracks nearby in shallow water. In addition, a piece of equipment found at the scene was identified as being of Soviet origin. The incident has produced serious dissension within the ranks of the Alaskan Scouts: Several members have refused to patrol the area of the shooting and others have resigned. [Editor's note: SOF has learned that the item of Soviet equipment found next to the body of the Eskimo Scout on Little Diomede Island was a Soviet NBC decontamination kit. In addition, an autopsy performed on the scout revealed that he had been killed by a dum-dum bullet of a type known to be favored by Spetsnaz teams."

This story, when mentioned to people in a position to know, produces various responses indicating that interesting things happened in Alaska during the Cold War.

The natives used to go to Russia in the winter, too. And in the 70s you could poach polar bears in Russia if you were crazy enough.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:13:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Are the Canooks selling these to us or what?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:26:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm for a .308 no4 mkii. Or I'm for cranking up .303 production so there's some to surplus again. I'm happy either way.
View Quote

And they wouldn't even need to design the conversion, since all of the work in that regard has already been done.  Something closer to a jungle carbine might be even better considering how far afield these guys might have to carry their rifles.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:37:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

And they wouldn't even need to design the conversion, since all of the work in that regard has already been done.  Something closer to a jungle carbine might be even better considering how far afield these guys might have to carry their rifles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most excellent point bigstick.

Install a more effective fluted flash suppressor.  That's it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:39:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Last I heard on that matter, there was a bill moving through the Canadian government to allow the Rangers to purchase their Lee-Enfields once they're replaced, rather than destroying them.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:41:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Use a modern lightweight synthetic stock, too.  MPI makes one for Lee-Enfields, so it is doable.  Fit it with a Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad (the rubber butt plate on the No.5 sucks).  Install the centre swivel and use a speed-loop sling.  The Brits are the ones that came up with those on the Lee-Enfield (which Cooper would later call the CW sling) and slinging up can help with steadiness quite a bit.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:42:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This story, when mentioned to people in a position to know, produces various responses indicating that interesting things happened in Alaska during the Cold War.

The natives used to go to Russia in the winter, too. And in the 70s you could poach polar bears in Russia if you were crazy enough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

snip

Speculation, or have you read something?

I read this years ago:

It *was* well known that Soviet SF used to conduct patrols on U.S. soil in AK during the Cold War.

Ivan didn't rest.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:44:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Use a modern lightweight synthetic stock, too.  MPI makes one for Lee-Enfields, so it is doable.  Fit it with a Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad (the rubber butt plate on the No.5 sucks).  Install the centre swivel and use a speed-loop sling.  The Brits are the ones that came up with those on the Lee-Enfield (which Cooper would later call the CW sling) and slinging up can help with steadiness quite a bit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're going to have to sort out whatever issues there were with the zero on the No. 5, before they do anything like that.

Well, determine if the issues with the zero actually exist, and then figure out how to fix it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:44:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The potential for a practical MIL-SPEC PIP are practically limitless.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:46:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They're going to have to sort out whatever issues there were with the zero on the No. 5, before they do anything like that.

Well, determine if the issues with the zero actually exist, and then figure out how to fix it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easy fix.  Like you say, determine if the problems actually existed in the first place.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:49:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Easy fix.  Like you say, determine if the problems actually existed in the first place.
View Quote

Given that they're essentially looking for a COTS replacement, I doubt they're interested in doing that amount of R&D.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:52:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I hope they make it over here...I could sure use another 1950 Long Branch!
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:55:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
None of these rifles are ever going to see combat.

edit this is all really just stuff that's fun for gun guys to talk about on the internet

I doubt that if you took any of us and tossed us in a snowbank in northern Canada and said "Don't come back for five years!" it would matter whether the first rifle we managed to scrounge was a lee enfield, m1903, commercial ruger, MG42, despite the bears, wolves and meeses I bet there are a shitload of locals running around up there with mini 14s, 10/22s and even ancient single shot .22s etc
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I ever had to take a bolt action into battle I want an Enfield.

Either an Enfield or a Mauser action for me.

I like Mosins, but they are just too rough.

For a combat gun, the SMLE smokes any Mauser derivative.  By a fair margin.

It's the absolute pinnacle of the fighting turnbolt rifle.  It just had the misfortune of not being perfected until the fighting turnbolt rifle was pretty much obsolete.
None of these rifles are ever going to see combat.

edit this is all really just stuff that's fun for gun guys to talk about on the internet

I doubt that if you took any of us and tossed us in a snowbank in northern Canada and said "Don't come back for five years!" it would matter whether the first rifle we managed to scrounge was a lee enfield, m1903, commercial ruger, MG42, despite the bears, wolves and meeses I bet there are a shitload of locals running around up there with mini 14s, 10/22s and even ancient single shot .22s etc

Easy to say from the comfort of your livingroom.   I get the feeling you've never been exposed to real cold.   It makes everything more difficult, to an extent that is hard to convey in words.  

i'm In Miami now, but I remember...

...dear Sweet Jesus, I remember.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:57:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was a guy who said he was an armourer back when the Lee-Enfield was still in service and he said that the wandering zero problem did not arise until the weapons had fired a lot of rounds in a short period of time like one might see in full-blown conventional combat.  The heat combined with the lightening cuts would result in that.  Not sure how true that is, but it would certainly explain why I nor anyone I've known to have a No.5 have ever had an issue with a wandering zero.  If it is related to the heat, then for the purposes of this rifle, even if the wandering zero is proven to exist, it would not be consequential for practical intents and purposes.  Still, if they had to, they could eliminate the cuts on the side walls of the receiver and thus use a No.4 action while keeping the other cuts and with a lightweight synthetic stock they'd still come out ahead.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:03:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

There was a guy who said he was an armourer back when the Lee-Enfield was still in service and he said that the wandering zero problem did not arise until the weapons had fired a lot of rounds in a short period of time like one might see in full-blown conventional combat.  The heat combined with the lightening cuts would result in that.  Not sure how true that is, but it would certainly explain why I nor anyone I've known to have a No.5 have ever had an issue with a wandering zero.  If it is related to the heat, then for the purposes of this rifle, even if the wandering zero is proven to exist, it would not be consequential for practical intents and purposes.  Still, if they had to, they could eliminate the cuts on the side walls of the receiver and thus use a No.4 action while keeping the other cuts and with a lightweight synthetic stock they'd still come out ahead.
View Quote

All valid points, and I don't disagree with you.  There's also evidence that it was simply a political expedient to go along with adopting the SLR.  Regardless, it's something that would need to be sorted out during the adoption/procurement process.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:14:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

All valid points, and I don't disagree with you.  There's also evidence that it was simply a political expedient to go along with adopting the SLR.  Regardless, it's something that would need to be sorted out during the adoption/procurement process.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again, with just a No.4 receiver and lightening cuts only on the other components it should be no issue.  If there is a wandering zero, the receiver is almost certainly the culprit.  If the stock is to blame, well, having a synthetic takes care of that.  But I doubt it would be an issue for them given how these rifles are used.  The important part is the spirit, which is a rifle that still retains some military features while being light, handy, well-balanced, "friendly," etc.  Basically a military rifle that draws a lot conceptually from the scout rifle (which the No.5 of course influenced).  The scout rifle concept seems nearly perfect for what these guys do and one can make a rather nice rifle from a .308 Lee-Enfield.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:23:49 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

If the gov't gave me a credit card, tractor trailer and paid me..I could hit every farm house in eastern Canada and Ontario and fill the truck with enfields..

View Quote

Yup,  that would be easy.

geez, they should have bought a few crates of those Irish No4's when then were for sale in Canada in the early '90s. (still have mine)

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:25:36 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
actually if you look closely you will see 2 mags in his waist band ....
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks like he is carrying spare magazines.  Interesting.  

https://metronewsca.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/img_4939.jpg

actually if you look closely you will see 2 mags in his waist band ....

In gloves, its certainly easier to swap mags than fiddle with Enfield clips...

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:53:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Again, with just a No.4 receiver and lightening cuts only on the other components it should be no issue.  If there is a wandering zero, the receiver is almost certainly the culprit.  If the stock is to blame, well, having a synthetic takes care of that.  But I doubt it would be an issue for them given how these rifles are used.  The important part is the spirit, which is a rifle that still retains some military features while being light, handy, well-balanced, "friendly," etc.  Basically a military rifle that draws a lot conceptually from the scout rifle (which the No.5 of course influenced).  The scout rifle concept seems nearly perfect for what these guys do and one can make a rather nice rifle from a .308 Lee-Enfield.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

(Added emphasis)
Agreed most strongly. I'd say a .308 Win/7.62mm NATO version of the No.4 Mk.2, but with the improvements mentioned (synthetic stock etc) and a slightly shortened barrel--maybe down to 20" or so--as well as provision for optics without deleting the iron sights, would be a great rifle for the Rangers. That is, according to my limited understanding of their mission and environment. Especially if lightweight (e.g. LaRue, American Defense, et al.) QD, return-to-zero mounts are used, so the option is there when possible and quickly removed when not.

Personally, I'd love a scout-styled rifle based on a No.4 Mk.2 in .308 Win, especially after having handled a No.1 Mk.3, a No.4 Mk.1*, and a 2A1. Barrel of 20", 10-round magazine, fed by NATO standard chargers, 3-point sling option, provision for optics, synthetic stock, weight slimmed anywhere it reasonably can be, and decent standard irons--I like the click-adjustable types for the No.4 and No.5, with the "battle sight" ghost ring preserved.

But that's just me wishing for things I can't have
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:57:00 AM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:03:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's more than likely true, though at the time there was also speculation that it may have resulted from a change in barrel contact due to the amount of unstocked barrel, the lightening cuts on the barrel, the flash hider, the butt pad... the list went on and on, and no one ever conclusively determined the cause (or lack thereof).  As I said, I don't disagree with you -- I've shot the piss out of my No. 5 and not encountered the issue -- but I would bet dollars to pesos that the question would have to be answered before a similar design were adopted.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:17:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

(Added emphasis)
Agreed most strongly. I'd say a .308 Win/7.62mm NATO version of the No.4 Mk.2, but with the improvements mentioned (synthetic stock etc) and a slightly shortened barrel--maybe down to 20" or so--as well as provision for optics without deleting the iron sights, would be a great rifle for the Rangers. That is, according to my limited understanding of their mission and environment. Especially if lightweight (e.g. LaRue, American Defense, et al.) QD, return-to-zero mounts are used, so the option is there when possible and quickly removed when not.

Personally, I'd love a scout-styled rifle based on a No.4 Mk.2 in .308 Win, especially after having handled a No.1 Mk.3, a No.4 Mk.1*, and a 2A1. Barrel of 20", 10-round magazine, fed by NATO standard chargers, 3-point sling option, provision for optics, synthetic stock, weight slimmed anywhere it reasonably can be, and decent standard irons--I like the click-adjustable types for the No.4 and No.5, with the "battle sight" ghost ring preserved.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

(Added emphasis)

You can have it with enough money and patience.  A 7.62mm conversion kit for a No.5 is not cheap and you'd have to look long and hard to find a complete one.  They even come with a charger guide adapter to use NATO chargers.  It would meet your specs if you got a synthetic stock (also not cheap by any means if you want a good one; MPI is all I could find) and added pedestals to the barrel for optics.  I thought about all of this a while back.  One of many things I wish I could afford.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:19:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That's more than likely true, though at the time there was also speculation that it may have resulted from a change in barrel contact due to the amount of unstocked barrel, the lightening cuts on the barrel, the flash hider, the butt pad... the list went on and on, and no one ever conclusively determined the cause (or lack thereof).  As I said, I don't disagree with you -- I've shot the piss out of my No. 5 and not encountered the issue -- but I would bet dollars to pesos that the question would have to be answered before a similar design were adopted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Lee-Enfield sporters make the barrel an unlikely culprit, same with other rifles using a flash suppressor of that design.  The butt plate is just absurd.  I'm sure if they thought about a No.5 action it would be evaluated, but with a No.4 action I'm not so sure.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:22:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The Lee-Enfield sporters make the barrel an unlikely culprit, same with other rifles using a flash suppressor of that design.  The butt plate is just absurd.  I'm sure if they thought about a No.5 action it would be evaluated, but with a No.4 action I'm not so sure.
View Quote

I imagine they just looked at the rifles and said "this part's different, it must be this!"
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:50:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Looks like it comes with the issue funnel for cleaning too. Neat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is there anyone actually making and selling new Enfields these days?  I know IIRC Gibbs and AIA are both defunct.  Has anyone else picked up the torch?

The closest thing to a new Enfield you can get is on gunbroker.  Well, they are new Enfields, still in the wrap.  For $900.
Link.
http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/447371000/447371940/pix320622911.jpg
EDIT:  I have one of these, out of the wrap and cleaned up.  It shoots boat-tailed 174 grain great--unlike all the complaints you hear about used Enfields grouping poorly.

Issue funnel? That's the scabbard for the bayonet if you're referring to the first wrapped bundle directly below the rifle. The second is the bayonet.

I still have mine, out of the mummy wrap but unfired. Got the bayo and scabbard separate; the gunshop separated them out but it only cost me $10 to get the bayonet/scabbard. The rifle was $199, purchased in 94 or 95.

All sorts of cool stuff came out in the 90's!
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:55:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Issue funnel? That's the scabbard for the bayonet if you're referring to the first wrapped bundle directly below the rifle. The second is the bayonet.

I still have mine, out of the mummy wrap but unfired. Got the bayo and scabbard separate; the gunshop separated them out but it only cost me $10 to get the bayonet/scabbard. The rifle was $199, purchased in 94 or 95.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is there anyone actually making and selling new Enfields these days?  I know IIRC Gibbs and AIA are both defunct.  Has anyone else picked up the torch?

The closest thing to a new Enfield you can get is on gunbroker.  Well, they are new Enfields, still in the wrap.  For $900.
Link.
EDIT:  I have one of these, out of the wrap and cleaned up.  It shoots boat-tailed 174 grain great--unlike all the complaints you hear about used Enfields grouping poorly.

of the small wrapped items the top one looked like it might be the funnel, sorry, my bad. Enfields used to be issued  with a funnel for washing the barrel out with hot water to cleanse it of corrosive ammo residue.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:58:38 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Last I heard on that matter, there was a bill moving through the Canadian government to allow the Rangers to purchase their Lee-Enfields once they're replaced, rather than destroying them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope the Rangers can keep their service rifles.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:04:50 AM EDT
[#31]
308<303 for use against polar bears

Everything I have read on this thread seems TO ME that we are fucking up a proven design just for the sake of accessorizing it. Tapco stock, less effective cartridge, flash suppressor (?).

Why ?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:05:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
of the small wrapped items the top one looked like it might be the funnel, sorry, my bad. Enfields used to be issued  with a funnel for washing the barrel out with hot water to cleanse it of corrosive ammo residue.
View Quote

Absolutely possible I'm wrong on this, but I don't believe they did that with the No. 4s...
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:05:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Likewise.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:07:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Until you get up into extremely heavy-for-caliber bullets (180+), .308 marginally outperforms .303, and has a much better selection of bullets.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:11:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Until you get up into extremely heavy-for-caliber bullets (180+), .308 marginally outperforms .303, and has a much better selection of bullets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you are using military ball, which I am sure they are, my statement stands.
If you are hand loading, my statement stands.

Big bear = heavy bullets
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:15:15 AM EDT
[#36]
We could use more "sovereignty patrols" stateside.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:17:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Big bear = heavy bullets
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Big bear = heavy bullets

They're issued ammo, but they are soft points. IIRC, they're loaded with 180gr bullets.

ETA: Looks like they're also issued Mk. 8z FMJ as well.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:18:10 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

We could use more "sovereignty patrols" stateside.
View Quote

Especially on the Southern Border and along our island possessions.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:36:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd call it a stretch to say 180 was even heavy for caliber. Perhaps the low end of heavy. 200 is heavy. 240 or 250 is extremely heavy.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:38:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Absolutely possible I'm wrong on this, but I don't believe they did that with the No. 4s...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY
I use a WW1 dated (1914) armorer's funnel when cleaning my 303
First stage of the post-range clean is boil out the barrel
...comes in handy for other full-bore rifles too in case the ammo is older mil-surp & may be corrosive primed
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:38:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'd call it a stretch to say 180 was even heavy for caliber. Perhaps the low end of heavy. 200 is heavy. 240 or 250 is extremely heavy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair, considering 174's standard for .303.  I was more thinking along the lines of the fact that there isn't much above 180 readily available in .310 diameter bullets.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:39:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

FIFY
...comes in handy for other full-bore rifles too in case the ammo is older mil-surp & may be corrosive primed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY

Did they continue issuing them into/after WW2?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:39:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If we are talking about 308, 180 grain bullets are heavy for caliber.
If we are talking about .303, that is a normal bullet.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:41:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The standard African game load used in the turn-of-the century .303 was a 215gr RN soft point.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:44:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link.

I picked up an unissued, but out of the mummy wrap Faz Mk2 not long ago.  
Beautiful rifle! All matching, and not a round through it nor a mark on the
wood.  Traded it for a service grade  H&R CMP Garand.  Would have kept
it, if it were not for the lack of ammunition.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:41:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The standard African game load used in the turn-of-the century .303 was a 215gr RN soft point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was the second generation military load too.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:48:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY

Pulled up a picture of the funnel it is much larger than I remember........much larger.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:57:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY

The ammo still had corrosive primers until the mid-50s - so YES they were still used.
I may be able to find info in some of my manuals WW2 dated manuals. IIRC I've also seen them mentioned in the post-WW2 publications...but mainly aimed at depot armorer usage.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:57:55 AM EDT
[#49]
I know we're talking "aboot" the Canadian Rangers, eh. But here is a recruitment video of the Danish Sirius Patrol.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:07:02 AM EDT
[#50]
if aint broke dont fix it. They work so why bother even changing.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top