BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:15:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Grew up there in the 80-90s

North Babylon

Most segregated place I've ever lived. The only non-white kids in school were bussed in from another town/area.

No idea how it is there now. I've not lived there since I was 18.

I bet there are still 2 pizza places, 1 bagel shop,  and 1 deli in every strip mall.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:20:29 AM EDT
[#2]

When I went to college in MO from Long Island I was asked "What did you think the first time you got out here and saw the blue sky?"

Yep.

There are dumbasses everywhere.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:21:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

North Babylon

Most segregated place I've ever lived. The only non-white kids in school were bussed in from another town/area.

I bet there are still 2 pizza places, 1 bagel shop,  and 1 deli in every strip mall.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:46:04 AM EDT
[#4]
been there done that. Not a terrible place but I wouldn't want to live there either. And besides they were so broke that they didn't even give me the T-Shirt ...bastards
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:57:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Western NY is basically Canada.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Way back when I learned there was NYC, LI, and Upstate.

No idea what the Western part of the state is called to this day, and I do not really care. I will never move there.

BTW the upstate part is beautiful in the fall.

Western NY is basically Canada.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

No doubt. I was at Ft. Drum in the 90s and it was all Celine Dion french speaking radio up there eh.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 4:10:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Didn't read it all. So you went there on your own? Holy Shit!!
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:16:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

North Babylon

View Quote

Still segregated. They wanted to just make a county-wide school district to reduce costs and the people in the rich districts threw a shit fit. A lot of areas got taken over by black/hispanic only to now complain that the young white couples are moving in because it is the only place they can afford.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:39:13 AM EDT
[#8]
The LIE = the worlds longest parking lot
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:44:26 AM EDT
[#9]
The Eastern part of LI can be surprisingly rural in patches. You can go from "Da hood" to standing in a farmer's corn field in a 10 min drive. The number of S. Americans has skyrocketed over the last ten years. Some areas are more or less a foreign country, lots of Guatemalan, El Salvadorean, Brazilian, etc flags being displayed but very few American flags.

Gun laws suck but I am continuously surprised by how many people own firearms. Shooting ranges are usually very busy. The safe act has completely changed things. In the past half the people at the range would be firing AR's or AK's. Now it is mostly hunting rifles and the occasional neutered AR. I think most people held onto their guns and just don't take them out anymore.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:17:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Long Island Distressway.

Resident LIer here. Grandparents had the house built after WW2, near Levittown. I have pictures of my house being the last house on the block and surrounded by potato farms. Not nearly the case today. Many of the towns are mini cities at this point.

Most of the areas on long island are nice areas. There are some lower income neighborhoods, but that is with anywhere. Politics suck for us (especially in regards to the RTKBA), but many of the residents are not all gun grabbing libtards. Many are, but not all. Taxes are expensive.  JFK and LGA make it such to fly,  but MacArthur is painless the few times I went out of there.

Allot of history here though. From the military end of things, you have the home of grumman, republic, etc. Mitchell field has a nice aviation museum.  Lunar Exploration Module was built about 3 minutes from my house. Google maps will show you the ICBM silos left over from years past if you know where to look. We have 2 of the last Tom cats to ever rule the sky, and one is on display at the Grumman site.

We were home to Baldwin Chevrolet (Baldwin Motion Camaro was similar to Yenko if your a car guy.). Great fishing can be done on any shore. The further east you get, the more rural it becomes. Agricultural endeavors are mostly relegated to the east end. Many vineyards and breweries.

All in all,  LI isn't a bad place. Unfortunately living in the shadow of NYC we have to take on allot of their politics. I for one enjoy it. I have been thinking of going down south, but my roots keep my hear currently due to work and family.

There's not as many guidos as the stereotype suggests.

Any other questions about the island,  PM me and I'll get you an answer. Or if you ever get out this way, the first rounds on me.  

Also, very many hard to pronounce town names. Mostly stemming from the Indians that populated the island. Easiest way to tell an outsider is ask them to pronounce "Mattinecock", "Hauppauge", "Aquebogue", etc
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:31:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I know about Indian names, I went to Comsewogue High School.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:41:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The Eastern part of LI can be surprisingly rural in patches. You can go from "Da hood" to standing in a farmer's corn field in a 10 min drive. The number of S. Americans has skyrocketed over the last ten years. Some areas are more or less a foreign country, lots of Guatemalan, El Salvadorean, Brazilian, etc flags being displayed but very few American flags.

Gun laws suck but I am continuously surprised by how many people own firearms. Shooting ranges are usually very busy. The safe act has completely changed things. In the past half the people at the range would be firing AR's or AK's. Now it is mostly hunting rifles and the occasional neutered AR. I think most people held onto their guns and just don't take them out anymore.
View Quote

Not too much anymore outside of completely unavailible areas like Oyster Bay Cove. Manorville is about as middle class pseudo-rural as you can get but the taxes are outrageous to me (about 12K on a regular newer-home 2400sqft).
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:48:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Lots of family out on the north fork (Laurel, Mattituck, Southold, and Orient).  Very pretty, but I am glad I only visit.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:02:37 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Sorry you cant afford to live here.

But seriously, NYC produces some of the most conservative and libertarian people alive as they see what big gov can and will do. Its the minorities and super rich libs in their litteral ivory towers that fuck us
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It is the armpit of hell.

Sorry you cant afford to live here.

But seriously, NYC produces some of the most conservative and libertarian people alive as they see what big gov can and will do. Its the minorities and super rich libs in their litteral ivory towers that fuck us
1. my wife and I are in the 95th percentile for household income and we feel like we can't afford to live here.  I seriously don't understand how or why a family with a 5 figure income that isn't sucking off the government tit would want to live here.

2. They must all leave as soon as they can.  

I'm typing this from Yonkers.  In two weeks, I'll be stuck living here for the next year and a half.

The food here is really good.  The best sushi place I've ever been to is about 10 minutes away, and the pizza and bagels live up to their reputations.  Just about everything else sucks (although the people, on average, are friendlier than in the DC area where I grew up).  Taxes are fucking insane, people have no manners (which I know seems to contradict the friendliness thing), and every random fucktard seems to think this is the center of the universe and that somehow makes them more important for living here.  Did I mention I had to leave all of my guns except two with my in-laws in preparation of moving?  

I haven't been far up Long Island, but I feel pretty safe in saying New York State would be a much nicer place to live if NYC, Long Island, and Westchester County fell into the ocean.  45 minutes north of the city starts to get really beautiful.    

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:23:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I stumbled across this website a long time ago:

Forgotten NY

and frankly I was surprised. Rural areas, abandoned airports, light houses. dirt roads, the Yellow Submarine, that shipwreck yard, etc. The website has changed and not as much info, but I remember thinking I'd like to run around there and explore.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:29:44 AM EDT
[#16]
NY is not in New England, though I guess it's a common misconception. Hell, half the people I met in the Army thought that RI was in New York.

As far as LI goes, well, it DOES have Montauk...
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:56:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Suffolk County from the pine barrens to the ends of the Forks is a much different place than Nassau County, and a whole world apart from Queens and Brooklyn, which while technically part of the island are not what people are referring to when they say "I'm going to Long Island"

There is still lots of functioning farm land out there, especially on the North Fork, and parts are still relatively quiet. Still a decent amount of waterfowl hunting, but not nearly enough deer hunting is allowed.

As far as gun laws- they suck, but are still much better than across the border in the city proper. I keep all my super-scary gun-stuff (like 10rd 10/22 magazines) out there.

Quoted:
View Quote

I havent been out to Calverton post-SAFE, but imagining it right now without all the ARs & AKs made for a sad picture.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#18]
When I went to LI I was stunned at how big it is.

Could be its own state (and probably should be).
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:16:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 4:35:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Resident LIer here. Grandparents had the house built after WW2, near Levittown. I have pictures of my house being the last house on the block and surrounded by potato farms. Not nearly the case today. Many of the towns are mini cities at this point.

Allot of history here though. From the military end of things, you have the home of grumman, republic, etc. Mitchell field has a nice aviation museum.  Lunar Exploration Module was built about 3 minutes from my house. Google maps will show you the ICBM silos left over from years past if you know where to look. We have 2 of the last Tom cats to ever rule the sky, and one is on display at the Grumman site.

We were home to Baldwin Chevrolet (Baldwin Motion Camaro was similar to Yenko if your a car guy.). Great fishing can be done on any shore. The further east you get, the more rural it becomes. Agricultural endeavors are mostly relegated to the east end. Many vineyards and breweries.

All in all,  LI isn't a bad place. Unfortunately living in the shadow of NYC we have to take on allot of their politics. I for one enjoy it. I have been thinking of going down south, but my roots keep my hear currently due to work and family.

Any other questions about the island,  PM me and I'll get you an answer. Or if you ever get out this way, the first rounds on me.  

Also, very many hard to pronounce town names. Mostly stemming from the Indians that populated the island. Easiest way to tell an outsider is ask them to pronounce "Mattinecock", "Hauppauge", "Aquebogue", etc
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You up the road in hicksville, or a little east in bethpage?.  The spouse worked@  grumman  there till we left. Someone else mentioned musicians.  It's funny when you tell someone, yeah we use to get hammered with billy joel or XXX they think you're bs'ing them.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 5:35:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Sat view doesn't show much area for hunting or shooting.
That being said: IT'S FUCKING NEW YORK!!!111
There's a list a mile long of places I would rather be than that shit hole.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:21:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

They tossed us out of there back in 79-80 for having too many guns.  

Yep.......
LI isn't that bad, politics like the rest of NY blow, but that's par for the course.
Very expensive to live here, in nice parts anyway (high taxes).

Sorry guy you're in denial. Expensive?? sell your place, out here that money gets you 35+ acres with a house and still have 1/2 your capital gains left. Stop signs are there for the drunk to hit when making a U-Turn. No CCW, No NFA . It's a state of NO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is the sand pit range at the end of the island still running?  

They tossed us out of there back in 79-80 for having too many guns.  

Yep.......
LI isn't that bad, politics like the rest of NY blow, but that's par for the course.
Very expensive to live here, in nice parts anyway (high taxes).

Sorry guy you're in denial. Expensive?? sell your place, out here that money gets you 35+ acres with a house and still have 1/2 your capital gains left. Stop signs are there for the drunk to hit when making a U-Turn. No CCW, No NFA . It's a state of NO.

Have agree with Jim on this.
Graduated HS in Suffolk county, went upstate to college, only been back twice since then. I could never live there again.
Life is way too good out here in CO to even consider moving back to that general area.
Having said that, I miss the pizza and bagels something fierce!
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This fuckin' guy ova' heh' tinks he's funny...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You were so close to making it to New England.  So Close...

Seriously? Someone from TN making fun of the way NYers talk?
Bless your heart!  
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:26:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I was born and raised on Long Island in Suffolk county (Port Jefferson Station).  My home was between two potato farms. It was a great place to grow up in the 60's and 70's.  I wouldn't want to live there now.  Most of the farms are gone and the harbor is a big tourist spot, traffic sucks.
View Quote

Seriously??
I grew up in the W section off of rt 112!
Small world!
Been down Port hundreds of times!
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Lived in western ny most of my life.  Never been east of albany nor do i care to.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:51:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Born and raised in selden...I miss ny. I remember back in the day getting dropped off at the docks in port jeff going flounder fishing freezing my balls off. Also chilling at the rocky point, cedar beach...cant forget smiths point.
Fuck....the good old days. Blue fishing...snapper fishing.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:39:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Born and raised in selden...I miss ny. I remember back in the day getting dropped off at the docks in port jeff going flounder fishing freezing my balls off. Also chilling at the rocky point, cedar beach...cant forget smiths point.
View Quote

Newfield or Centereach??
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:45:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Newfield or Centereach??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Newfield or Centereach??

I miss snapper fishing off the Lindenhurst dock as a kid.

Used to still be able to catch bait fish in the canals and would then bike over with my bamboo pole from the middle of a roll of carpet, a length of line, a hook and a bobber.

Still remember the first time someone from Missouri told me about fishing licenses, I sure did pity them for not living in a Free State like I did.

Pay to catch fish? Whoever heard of such a crazy thing!!!

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:47:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Bless your heart!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bless your heart!  

Hey we got Joey Buttafuoco ova' heh'.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:31:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Newfield or Centereach??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Newfield or Centereach??

Oh shit....I was a huge fuck up and went to a special school...unity drive. Lived off blue point hill. Born on maple wood ave. Also lived cederhust ave. Oh shit...what about campus heros....the American special?

Fuck...who remembers the bull in smithtown???
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:36:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bless your heart!  

Throwback.  Back when Jim Carey was funny.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:37:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bless your heart!  

lmfao!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:41:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/JW6NbI6dSx0
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bless your heart!  

http://youtu.be/JW6NbI6dSx0

Hahahaha.....
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:09:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Newfield or Centereach??

I live really close by...Want me to snap a pix for you? For nostalgia sake?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:35:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Newfield or Centereach??

Sure...thanks, my grandmother lived in smithtown.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:40:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Y'all had to go and remind me that I was born on LI, didn't you?

My Dad was a Nassau County LEO and he retired down here to NC when I was nine (I'm #8 of 10 kids; he was forty when I was born)

My eldest sister has never lived down here; her and her 'Ol Man live way out in Suffolk County, far from where we were born in Hempstead.

Haven't been back since a overnight layover in '86.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:46:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Wow so way back in the day like after WWII Long Island would have probably been a cool place to live and raise a family. I also have learned way more than I thought tonight.
View Quote

Once Upon A Time the Sales Tax in Nassau County was only 2% while the Sales Tax in NYC was 5%/6% (forgets).  A lot of people would drive a little further for better bargains via lesser taxes.  Then in the late 1960's/early 1970's the sales taxes were increased to equal those of then Mayor Lindsey's (NYC) nuthouse.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:00:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Newfield or Centereach??

With or without the painted genitals?

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:08:56 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I got lost in some definitely sketchy areas of Petersburg-Richmond, VA when I was in school at Ft Lee a few years ago
View Quote

That's easy to do though.  All of Petersburg is a shithole; south of the James and also east of 95 in Richmond are likewise scary.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:14:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

HEY NOW! Suffolk PD alleviated all my fears by telling me that you will get a 3-day notice prior to being raped/assaulted/robbed/murdered. For some reason the detectives that show up to the ER for the stabbing/gunshot victims don't like when I openly state that little tidbit. On the whole most POs think shit like the SAFE act are bogus. One even  skipped ticketing me because of my UNSAFE patch.

As far as LI living:

Taxes on a small family home on a 100x100 plot are 8-10K. My average tax increase is around 250/yr.
Traffic sucks.
You need to drive off the island to get anywhere. 65-70 miles takes 2+ hours and costs about $40 in tolls.
Our infrastructure is so fucking old that we get a few tens of thousands out of power for varying lengths of time every storm. Because we're sucked dry to fund this socialist state (90% of the UPK fund goes to NYC) there is no way to spend the few billion it would take to actually bring out power structure to modern levels.
People here are actually proud of never having lived anywhere else.
Teachers and Cops make more then entire average household incomes.
Upvote every school district budget, wonder why your kids can't afford a decent place to live.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So now that I am curious I have to ask. How is gun ownership on the rest of Long Island? Do people still hunt for either waterfowl or deer? What about shooting ranges?

Lots of gun stores and ranges in Suffolk County. Many in Nassau too but I don't know them as well. Many LI gun owners but they tend to keep a low profile. The pistol licensing agencies in both counties are borderline criminal organizations that treat licensees like shit and only issue restricted ccw.

HEY NOW! Suffolk PD alleviated all my fears by telling me that you will get a 3-day notice prior to being raped/assaulted/robbed/murdered. For some reason the detectives that show up to the ER for the stabbing/gunshot victims don't like when I openly state that little tidbit. On the whole most POs think shit like the SAFE act are bogus. One even  skipped ticketing me because of my UNSAFE patch.

As far as LI living:

Taxes on a small family home on a 100x100 plot are 8-10K. My average tax increase is around 250/yr.
Traffic sucks.
You need to drive off the island to get anywhere. 65-70 miles takes 2+ hours and costs about $40 in tolls.
Our infrastructure is so fucking old that we get a few tens of thousands out of power for varying lengths of time every storm. Because we're sucked dry to fund this socialist state (90% of the UPK fund goes to NYC) there is no way to spend the few billion it would take to actually bring out power structure to modern levels.
People here are actually proud of never having lived anywhere else.
Teachers and Cops make more then entire average household incomes.
Upvote every school district budget, wonder why your kids can't afford a decent place to live.

Don't forget that we get to keep paying for the Shoreham power plant that we never built or used - another $6B fucking that the taxpayer got.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:24:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Oh shit....I was a huge fuck up and went to a special school...unity drive. Lived off blue point hill. Born on maple wood ave. Also lived cederhust ave. Oh shit...what about campus heros....the American special?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Newfield or Centereach??

It's still there.
The Bull Creek Inn changed their name to Oasis to try to be classy though.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:11:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Campus Hero's was the best, I was home last year and was told they're gone.  I worked at Campus Motors for a short time when I got out of the service. I miss hammerhead's, OBI North, East and South, The Mad Hatter, Penny Loafers, Strathmore bagles, Pizza carnival, Deli's. There is a lot I miss about the Island, but I couldn't live there now.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:14:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Campus Hero's was the best, I was home last year and was told they're gone.  I worked at Campus Motors for a short time when I got out of the service. I miss hammerhead's, OBI North, East and South, The Mad Hatter, Penny Loafers, Strathmore bagles, Pizza carnival, Deli's. There is a lot I miss about the Island, but I couldn't live there now.
View Quote

I saw The Ramones at Hammerheads in the early 80s. I sat right on the edge of the stage in front of Johnny. My ears rang the entire next day.

Good times!!!

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:19:43 AM EDT
[#44]
According to Forbes, Greenport, Long Island is one of the most beautiful towns in the USA.

Don't even get me started on their wineries.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:51:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

I heard they are still there...they sold the place but it still sits on the corner. What about Nathans in Corum that play old cartoons on a big ass screen?
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:52:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can't imagine all these microcosms in such a small place
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:24:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Is  Bald Hill ski bowl still in existence?
Used to go "parking"    down thataway back in the day.

Edit: never mind  looked it up online and am feeling real old
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:35:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Used to still be able to catch bait fish in the canals and would then bike over with my bamboo pole from the middle of a roll of carpet, a length of line, a hook and a bobber.

Still remember the first time someone from Missouri told me about fishing licenses, I sure did pity them for not living in a Free State like I did.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Newfield or Centereach??

Lol,  I have a snapper derby trophy around somewhere. They used to have it at the Babylon docks at the same time as the big tuna tournament.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:41:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
In before Cumia

Edit - who takes his Barrett .50 and other toys out pretty frequently.

Montauk rules. The surf at rockaway rules. The LIE sucks shitty ass. The island has a number of very, very, very nice places to live if you have the money.

Upstate NY = basically everything north and west of Orange County. Buffalo, Albany, Syracuse, Rochester, Plattsburgh, etc. are all "upstate". The politics and gun laws are brutal, but the Adirondack area is one of the most beautiful places in the country....certainly on the east coast.
View Quote

Good luck ever defining upstate. I spent most of my life in Orange County and most people considered themselves upstate. Apparently upstate is always north of wherever you are lol. My grandmother in Brooklyn was upstate the minute she crossed the Goethals bridge and she wasn't even in NY yet. I even knew a girl from Syracuse who said she wasn't from upstate. She considered upstate to be north of her haha.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:52:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top