Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2014 9:33:24 AM EDT
That was my favorite aspect of the F1, and it seems like an awesome idea.  50% more passenger capacity than a standard 2 seater, and the driver is situated in the middle of the car for a perfect panoramic view of the road.  Its such a cool configuration, I wonder why it hasn't been more popular on modern supercars, even mclaren abandoned it on the P1.  I'm sure it must be more complicated/expensive, but still, its been done before so its certainly possible.  I wonder why it went out of style.  It looks so badass:

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:35:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Its too hard for female celebrities to climb into the drivers seat while wearing a tight dress without showing off the goods.

Not enough market
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:39:44 AM EDT
[#2]
3's a crowd.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:44:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:50:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I saw a Mclaren up close and personal at JFK Lufthansa air cargo.  What an awe inspiring ride that was.
Those outside seats wouldnt fit anything over 110 lbs - works exactly as designed.......
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:20:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I saw a Mclaren up close and personal at JFK Lufthansa air cargo.  What an awe inspiring ride that was.
Those outside seats wouldnt fit anything over 110 lbs - works exactly as designed.......
View Quote

Enough for a chick on each side
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:24:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I won't ever be able to afford a sports car, so me no care
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:26:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There was a neat "sporty" car ( but NOT a sports car) available in Europe in the 1970s called the Bagheera, which was a joint venture between the French companies of Simca and Matra.  Three seats in the front, but the driver's seat was still in the normal place, not on the middle.

My mom almost bought one in the late 70s, when we lived in Germany.
View Quote

A friend of mine in the Army in 82 in Germany owned one of these . Fun little car 3 across seating . No fat friends
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:27:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There was a neat "sporty" car ( but NOT a sports car) available in Europe in the 1970s called the Bagheera, which was a joint venture between the French companies of Simca and Matra.  Three seats in the front, but the driver's seat was still in the normal place, not on the middle.

My mom almost bought one in the late 70s, when we lived in Germany.  
View Quote

I recall a French-made three-seater from the 1980s with the driver seated in the middle "with room for both his wife and mistress".  It may have only been a concept car that never made production, but it's the only previous car I've heard of with that seating arrangement.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:33:52 PM EDT
[#9]
My truck is a three seater.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top