Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 9/21/2014 10:29:40 PM EDT
A friend and I were fishing this weekend and we had reeled our lines in and were getting ready to move when were approached by a DNR boat.  They pulled alongside and asked us what we were catching and if we kept any.  We told them how many we'd caught and that we'd thrown them all back which was the truth.  They asked a couple more questions about safety gear and misc. BS. then said have a nice day and took off without ever getting on board.

We continued on about 500 yards away to try a different spot and about the time we anchor up and start getting the rods ready we noticed them pulling up to us again.  They pull up alongside and ask us again if we had fish on board and we told the same thing.  "No, we threw them all back."  

He boards the boat and goes through ever hatch, cooler, live well, etc.  He even went so far as to open our lunch cooler and remove our lunch to search it.  That struck a nerve with my friend and he asked the guy if he was hungry or what.  The cooler was way to small to hide a fish in that would have been worth eating and I don't know WTH he expected to find there besides a ham sandwich and a few bottles of water.

After his search he leaves again without ever asked for any ID or paperwork whatsoever.  We were baffled by this whole turn of events and can't figure out what they actually looking for or why.

What we've come up with is that they either :

A)  Thought we moved away after the first contact to try to throw back an under limit fish.

B)  They were looking for drugs.

C)  They were just out to violate the rights of two law abiding citizens out trying to have a good time.  

I could understand them boarding the boat and searching it at the first contact but why come back a second time and search the boat?  Any thoughts or theories?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:30:48 PM EDT
[#1]
boredom.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:32:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
boredom.
View Quote

+ ego
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:34:07 PM EDT
[#3]
They were fishing...for whatever they could.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:34:42 PM EDT
[#4]
They just wanted to assure that you had a carefree day of leisure.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:35:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Because they can.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:35:32 PM EDT
[#6]
this what happens when you leave the house
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:35:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Fish cops dont have rules.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:36:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A friend and I were fishing this weekend and we had reeled our lines in and were getting ready to move when were approached by a DNR boat.  They pulled alongside and asked us what we were catching and if we kept any.  We told them how many we'd caught and that we'd thrown them all back which was the truth.  They asked a couple more questions about safety gear and misc. BS. then said have a nice day and took off without ever getting on board.

We continued on about 500 yards away to try a different spot and about the time we anchor up and start getting the rods ready we noticed them pulling up to us again.  They pull up alongside and ask us again if we had fish on board and we told the same thing.  "No, we threw them all back."  

He boards the boat and goes through ever hatch, cooler, live well, etc.  He even went so far as to open our lunch cooler and remove our lunch to search it.  That struck a nerve with my friend and he asked the guy if he was hungry or what.  The cooler was way to small to hide a fish in that would have been worth eating and I don't know WTH he expected to find there besides a ham sandwich and a few bottles of water.

After his search he leaves again without ever asked for any ID or paperwork whatsoever.  We were baffled by this whole turn of events and can't figure out what they actually looking for or why.

A)  Thought we moved away after the first contact to try to throw back an under limit fish.

C)  They were just out to violate the rights of two law abiding citizens out trying to have a good time.  

I could understand them boarding the boat and searching it at the first contact but why come back a second time and search the boat?  Any thoughts or theories?
View Quote

Clearly you were taking the king's fish.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:36:24 PM EDT
[#9]

I once befriended a fish cop.  It was a big mistake.  He was a scumbag.

<Remarks removed. -NorCal.>
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:37:27 PM EDT
[#10]
dicks
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:37:54 PM EDT
[#11]
They probably watched Super Troopers recently.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:38:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
boredom.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
boredom.

Maybe, there went many boats out on the water.  But why two separate contacts?  Why not violate our rights all at the same time?

Quoted:
this what happens when you leave the house

Maybe where you live.  I never get harassed in my home state.  I've had my license and fish checked on rare occasion but the contact is over in a couple minutes and they're out of your hair for the rest of the day.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:39:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
dicks
View Quote

They were most certainly the politest assholes I'd ever met.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:40:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I will let you in on a secret my daddy taught me.

If your goal every time you speak to a warden is to see how long you can keep them talking, they will see you as the annoying guy who justs want to talk for an hour or two and purposely avoid you.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:41:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I have NEVER met a fishcop or a sheriff lake patrol officer that wasn't a dickhead. Every single one was a jerk. I don't know what it is with them but they all seem to have an attitude issue. Never got a ticket for anything either but that wasn't for their lack of trying to find something. I've had them get to the point of telling me my boat reg numbers on the side of the boat were 1/4 inch to small.

I will say that most of the sheriff patrol people seem to be school teachers doing this for a summer job locally, it may have changed since I sold my boat but it was true in the past.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:41:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Couple of bored, useless hard-chargers that think their job is relevant and that they're actually police officers.

Placate them and shoo them on their way.  Kind of like TSA except they have guns and arrest powers.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:42:18 PM EDT
[#17]
What did you do?

You were on the water. Actually you just have to be near the water.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:43:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Couple of bored, useless hard-chargers that think their job is relevant and that they're actually police officers.

Placate them and shoo them on their way.  Kind of like TSA except they have guns and arrest powers.
View Quote

Nice analogy and dead on.  You have no constitutional rights when dealing with either.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:44:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Here's my advice.

Photograph the tag on your deer immediately after you tag it.  Document everything including the time you down your deer.

And secretly record any contact you may have with the fish cops.  Remember they are the closest thing that Canada or America has to the Gestapo.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:44:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Forgot the search the first time.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:45:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Forgot the search the first time.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:45:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I will let you in on a secret my daddy taught me.

If your goal every time you speak to a warden is to see how long you can keep them talking, they will see you as the annoying guy who justs want to talk for an hour or two and purposely avoid you.
View Quote

Or ask them to take the opportunity to look at your monavie pyramid opportunity....
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:46:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have NEVER met a fishcop or a sheriff lake patrol officer that wasn't a dickhead. Every single one was a jerk. I don't know what it is with them but they all seem to have an attitude issue. Never got a ticket for anything either but that wasn't for their lack of trying to find something. I've had them get to the point of telling me my boat reg numbers on the side of the boat were 1/4 inch to small.
View Quote

I've met one who was cool. I had lost my wallet and ordered a new license, but went hunting in the meantime. I didn't have a license on me, but had a valid lifetime license. Legally he could have ticketed me and I would have had to go to court to get it fixed, but he just talked to me about the fishing and left.

I've gotten a ticket for not having a ballpoint pen/tie for the tag. I've gotten a ticket for having a few inches under the required amount of orange. I've gotten tickets for not filling out a permit to be on the refuge that my lease borders, even though the nearest permit station is 20 miles away. I generally dislike the fish cops. I have caught them illegally hunting the refuge behind my lease as well. If i did that, they would dig a hole under the jail house for me.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:46:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

+ ego
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
boredom.

+ ego

= asshole

You DO understand that you are a free citizen of the United States of America, right?

What was his reasonable suspicion/probable cause?
Did you get his "business card", name or any other contact info?

We have a pretty good relationship here with our Fish, Wildlife & Parks (FWP) guys and gals.

If that shit  happened here I would have paid the Region 1 Captain a personal visit (he has an open-door policy) and that game warden would have had to stand tall before the man.

YMMV

G

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:46:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I once befriended a fish cop.  It was a big mistake.  He was a scumbag.

I hate to say it, but to be a fish cop, you first have to be a scumbag.
View Quote

Yeah, pretty much.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:47:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Here's my advice.

Photograph the tag on your deer immediately after you tag it.  Document everything including the time you down your deer.

And secretly record any contact you may have with the fish cops.  Remember they are the closest thing that Canada or America has to the Gestapo.
View Quote

That's probably not a terrible idea.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:49:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

= asshole

You DO understand that you are a free citizen of the United States of America, right?

We have a pretty good relationship here with our Fish, Wildlife & Parks (FWP) guys and gals.

If that shit  happened here I would have paid the Region 1 Captain a personal visit (he has an open-door policy) and that game warden would have had to stand tall before the man.

YMMV

G

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
boredom.

+ ego

= asshole

YMMV

G

This was in MD.  They'd laugh you right out of the office and tell you to get fucked on the way out the door.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:51:52 PM EDT
[#28]
That's just how they are. Consistent with every interaction I've ever had. I fucking hate the DNR.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:53:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Hooligan,

That is so very sad for you...have you considered moving to a free state?

There ARE some states that actually respect their citizenry.

G

ETA...if you are ever in NW Montana, give me a holler...we'll go fishing.
Seriously
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:55:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

G

View Quote

Was visiting a friend in MD.  Thankfully I don't live in that shit hole.  The sad thing is that it would a nice place except for the people there that fuck it up.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:56:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

In NC, they have more authority than anybody else according to a State trooper I knew.
Do not mess with them....
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:57:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Was visiting a friend in MD.  Thankfully I don't live in that shit hole.  The sad thing is that it would a nice place except for the people there that fuck it up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

G

Gotcha!...sorry for your troubles, my friend.

Sad times when the Fish Cops are JBTs too.

My offer still stands...come to Montany!
We are still free-America

Your friend is invited too

G

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:58:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Sounds exactly how ours behave.  

I grew up on the Mississippi river and have bumped into them a number of times.  In recent years, Ive always encountered them while I and my fishing buddies were carrying. They tend to lose the attitude then.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:58:47 PM EDT
[#34]
You should have said, "I'm an Amway dealer, and have a lot of products to share with you today!  Thanks for stopping by!"
Bet they would leave you alone.  Forever.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:59:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

In NC, they have more authority than anybody else according to a State trooper I knew.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In BLET we were taught that the "Rabbit Sheriff" could enter peoples' homes and conduct warrantless searches of their freezers if they had any reason to suspect that the home was used or occupied by hunters.  Kind of like how ALE officers could search any licensed alcoholic establishment for any or no reason.   Struck me as very, very wrong.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:59:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe so but I've never had them do anything other than a license check and a creel count once in trout waters.

This was something way beyond that.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:00:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Their Spotter mixed you guys up with another boat?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:00:21 PM EDT
[#38]
%100 this

Quoted:
They were fishing...for whatever they could.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:03:16 PM EDT
[#39]
J
Quoted:

= asshole

YMMV

G

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
boredom.

+ ego

= asshole

YMMV

G

Fish cops don't need probable cause.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:03:17 PM EDT
[#40]
My experience with fish police mirrors what others have had . Never good
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:03:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This was in MD.  They'd laugh you right out of the office and tell you to get fucked on the way out the door.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
boredom.

+ ego

= asshole

YMMV

G

Not positive but I think that in a lot of states you buying the license is treated as permission to be searched and questioned.

No joke these guys have way too much power for my liking. They already have the ability to do what we fear the regular cops being able to do.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:04:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would guess mostly likely C.

An ego trip.

All the stories like these are part of the reason I don't hunt or fish. I don't care to deal all the wardens and their bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:05:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Their Spotter mixed you guys up with another boat?
View Quote

Doubtful.  There was one other boat about 1/4 mile and it was a different color.  Maybe they thought they saw something they didn't.  We caught about 10 fish in a short period, sometimes two at once.  Maybe they lost sight of a fish and didn't see us throw it back.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:05:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Not positive but I think that in a lot of states you buying the license is treated as permission to be searched and questioned.

No joke these guys have way too much power for my liking. They already have the ability to do what we fear the regular cops being able to do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
boredom.

+ ego

= asshole

YMMV

G

"implied consent"
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:07:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Hooligan,

G

ETA...if you are ever in NW Montana, give me a holler...we'll go fishing.
Seriously
View Quote

Which ones are those ? I haven't found any. Sure there is states with less stupid laws, and lower taxes but actually respect the citizen and his rights ? I haven't seen or really heard of that attitude in any state.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:08:06 PM EDT
[#46]
I suppose Option D could be that they saw you toss an empty can/ sandwich/ bait/ whateverthefuck into a hatch and could not determine if it was a fish or not. Maybe they saw a can and thought there was open liquor on your vessel (Illegal in MD?) and responded in the matter that most Type-A personalities do when they think they've been lied to.

Or maybe they're just dicks.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:08:52 PM EDT
[#47]
They can pretty much get away with anything . Mall cops dream job.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:09:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:09:02 PM EDT
[#49]
The few I have dealt with here have been pretty decent. Even let me walk on a few infractions once or twice!
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:10:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Tag
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top