Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:10:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Did he approach your boat with his loudspeakers blaring the "COPS" theme song or "Flight of the Valkyries" ?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:10:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I was once stopped by a rabbit sherif while out hunting.  He pulled up along side of me in his truck (I was in my vehicle) and he asked a few questions and asked to see my license.  I showed him my paperwork and we went our separate ways.  I watched I my rear view mirror as he flipped a u-turn and pulled me over again.  He asked the exact same questions and asked for my license again.  It was like he had never met before, despite interviewing my no more than two to three minutes prior to the first stop.  Who knows why such things occur.....
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:12:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The few I have dealt with here have been pretty decent. Even let me walk on a few infractions once or twice!
View Quote

Out of the dozen or so I ran into in NC I've only had one be a dick to me.  I actually had one that turned me on to a excellent corner of game land that no one seemed to hunt because it was so small.  It was absolutely full of small game.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:17:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Home state of Ohio - never had a fish cop problem on lake Erie / hunting / anything. Generally nice dudes, go to the same gun clubs I do, cool guys. Actually jealous I hunt all over and wish they could.

Colorado - we had a dick as our game warden for years. He finally retired. The new girl and guy who took over the area is cool as hell. He checked my elk last year and laughed at the fact I hit it in the nose.  Then continued to tell us for 10 minutes how he never wanted to chain up this winter.

BLM guys... - 50/50.  Last year during the shut down my dad and I were driving around the edge of the black canyon national monument. We got stalked by BLM guys.  Previous to that we were hunting on BLM property. BLM guy rolled up, checked our tags, pointed us towards a herd of elk and then gtfo.

For the most part my fish cop experiences have been a net positive. I think it comes down to their own personalities and why they do their job. Some can be complete ass holes... Others are good guys.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:19:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Out of the dozen or so I ran into in NC I've only had one be a dick to me.  I actually had one that turned me on to a excellent corner of game land that no one seemed to hunt because it was so small.  It was absolutely full of small game.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The few I have dealt with here have been pretty decent. Even let me walk on a few infractions once or twice!

Oh yeah? I'm always looking for new places. Two years ago I was near South Mountain State Park and when the sun came up I could see no less then 5 hunters (their Orange Vests) in the Valley. I knew it was time to move on.

Never had a jerk wildlife cop encounter before. They are pretty cool around the Piedmont Triad area.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:23:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Here's my advice.

Photograph the tag on your deer immediately after you tag it.  Document everything including the time you down your deer.

And secretly record any contact you may have with the fish cops.  Remember they are the closest thing that Canada or America has to the Gestapo.
View Quote

That's actually not a bad idea.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:24:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

A friend and I were fishing this weekend and we had reeled our lines in and were getting ready to move when were approached by a DNR boat.  They pulled alongside and asked us what we were catching and if we kept any.  We told them how many we'd caught and that we'd thrown them all back which was the truth.  They asked a couple more questions about safety gear and misc. BS. then said have a nice day and took off without ever getting on board.

We continued on about 500 yards away to try a different spot and about the time we anchor up and start getting the rods ready we noticed them pulling up to us again.  They pull up alongside and ask us again if we had fish on board and we told the same thing.  "No, we threw them all back."  

He boards the boat and goes through ever hatch, cooler, live well, etc.  He even went so far as to open our lunch cooler and remove our lunch to search it.  That struck a nerve with my friend and he asked the guy if he was hungry or what.  The cooler was way to small to hide a fish in that would have been worth eating and I don't know WTH he expected to find there besides a ham sandwich and a few bottles of water.

After his search he leaves again without ever asked for any ID or paperwork whatsoever.  We were baffled by this whole turn of events and can't figure out what they actually looking for or why.

What we've come up with is that they either :

A)  Thought we moved away after the first contact to try to throw back an under limit fish.

B)  They were looking for drugs.

C)  They were just out to violate the rights of two law abiding citizens out trying to have a good time.  

I could understand them boarding the boat and searching it at the first contact but why come back a second time and search the boat?  Any thoughts or theories?
View Quote
My guess is "A"

But also option "D" was "training the noob to interact and do searches."
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:25:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A friend and I were fishing this weekend and we had reeled our lines in and were getting ready to move when were approached by a DNR boat.  They pulled alongside and asked us what we were catching and if we kept any.  We told them how many we'd caught and that we'd thrown them all back which was the truth.  They asked a couple more questions about safety gear and misc. BS. then said have a nice day and took off without ever getting on board.

We continued on about 500 yards away to try a different spot and about the time we anchor up and start getting the rods ready we noticed them pulling up to us again.  They pull up alongside and ask us again if we had fish on board and we told the same thing.  "No, we threw them all back."  

He boards the boat and goes through ever hatch, cooler, live well, etc.  He even went so far as to open our lunch cooler and remove our lunch to search it.  That struck a nerve with my friend and he asked the guy if he was hungry or what.  The cooler was way to small to hide a fish in that would have been worth eating and I don't know WTH he expected to find there besides a ham sandwich and a few bottles of water.

After his search he leaves again without ever asked for any ID or paperwork whatsoever.  We were baffled by this whole turn of events and can't figure out what they actually looking for or why.

A)  Thought we moved away after the first contact to try to throw back an under limit fish.

C)  They were just out to violate the rights of two law abiding citizens out trying to have a good time.  

I could understand them boarding the boat and searching it at the first contact but why come back a second time and search the boat?  Any thoughts or theories?
View Quote

Fucking peasant.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:25:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Oh yeah? I'm always looking for new places. Two years ago I was near South Mountain State Park and when the sun came up I could see no less then 5 hunters (their Orange Vests) in the Valley. I knew it was time to move on.

Never had a jerk wildlife cop encounter before. They are pretty cool around the Piedmont Triad area.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IM sent.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:31:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have NEVER met a fishcop or a sheriff lake patrol officer that wasn't a dickhead. Every single one was a jerk. I don't know what it is with them but they all seem to have an attitude issue. Never got a ticket for anything either but that wasn't for their lack of trying to find something. I've had them get to the point of telling me my boat reg numbers on the side of the boat were 1/4 inch to small.

I will say that most of the sheriff patrol people seem to be school teachers doing this for a summer job locally, it may have changed since I sold my boat but it was true in the past.
View Quote

What county? This might be relevant to my interests as a seasonal MI marine deputy.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:33:27 PM EDT
[#11]
OP - Were you guys packin' ?.... any weapons with you?

Did he ask?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:33:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Did the fish police look like this OP?

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:33:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Fucking peasant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fucking peasant.

Yup, but tell them no and see what happens.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:35:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Were you guys packin' ?.... any weapons with you?

Did he ask?
View Quote

Yes, stowed below deck, he never asked.  He never asked for ID, fishing license, or boat registration.  That's why we thought it was so fucking weird.  The paperwork is usually the first thing they want to see.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:37:49 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

More like this:

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:42:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What was his reasonable suspicion/probable cause?

View Quote

You think they actually have to have one?  In Florida they pull you because they want to.  I hate fish cops.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:43:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I was once stopped by a rabbit sherif while out hunting.  He pulled up along side of me in his truck (I was in my vehicle) and he asked a few questions and asked to see my license.  I showed him my paperwork and we went our separate ways.  I watched I my rear view mirror as he flipped a u-turn and pulled me over again.  He asked the exact same questions and asked for my license again.  It was like he had never met before, despite interviewing my no more than two to three minutes prior to the first stop.  Who knows why such things occur.....
View Quote

Do you know how fast you were going?

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:45:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I will let you in on a secret my daddy taught me.

If your goal every time you speak to a warden is to see how long you can keep them talking, they will see you as the annoying guy who justs want to talk for an hour or two and purposely avoid you.
View Quote

That is actually some pretty sage advice
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:47:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:48:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Nobody does more fishing than the fish police. I was fishing in a small cove off the bank. The game warden pulled right on top of my bobber and then cut the motor off. I told him that they were on top of my line. He told me not to worry about it and that I better have a fishing liscense. They harrased me for another 10 minutes before leaving. I reminded him about my line. He said I told you not to worry about it. They started up the motor and I hit the release on the reel and watched as a full spool of fishing line got wrapped around the prop as they hauled ass away. We saw the boat on the trailer at the dock later that day every one was looking at the lower unit. We jus kept on driving.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:53:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I once befriended a fish cop.  It was a big mistake.  He was a scumbag.

I hate to say it, but to be a fish cop, you first have to be a scumbag.
View Quote

When I lived in rural Idaho there were 2 fish cops in the county, one was a dickhead of the highest order and the other got caught banging his teenage daughter and thrown in prison, so I agree
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:05:39 AM EDT
[#22]
I can distinctly remember two times so far that I've talked to a fish cop.

The first time, I was sitting on the bank of the river, at one of my favorite spots. I happen to glance upstream, and see a small raft coming down. It was smaller that the outfitter rafts. Hmm. Sure enough, fish cop. He pulls up, ties the raft to a small tree, and we talk for a few minutes. Asked me what I was catching, to which I responded "one rainbow, and one brown". Seemed like a nice enough guy. Even went so far as to suggest a particular fly pattern, if I came back later with a fly rod. Never asked for my license.

The second time? Wow, was that experience different.

I'm, once again, sitting along the river, at another favorite spot. Catching fish to beat hell, but nothing legal to keep, so back the all go.

Up walks a fish cop, through the brush, oblivious to the fact that he knocked down several cords of wood on the way. A ninja, this man was not.

He struts up, and starts with "how long you been here?"

Why?

"Oh, just curious."

Seemed an odd question, considering there's no curfew for fishing.

"What are you catching?"

I've released a bunch of cutthroat.

"Oh? How many?"

Oh, I don't know, probably ten.

"Oh, probably that many, or exactly that many?"

Um, does it matter? I turned them all back.

"How many did you keep?"

What did I just say, or are you trying to get me to slip up and fail your test? Is this like the sportsman's version of a sobriety test, where the odds are stacked against me that no matter what I'll do, I'll fail, regardless? It's pretty obvious what you're trying to pull here. I'm just trying to relax, drown a few worms, and enjoy my day.

"I don't like your tone!"

Well, mister, I don't like the fact that because I thoroughly enjoy a fish dinner occasionally, my limit is 3 fish. I don't like the fact that once I hit that number, I have to pack up and go home, but a guide can take a client on a trip right past here, catch ten times that number of fish, and because they had to take cute little pictures of those fish before turning them back, half of them died from suffocation. Explain to me why, if I take more that 3 fish, I face a guaranteed fine, possible jail time, when Johhny McSpendytackle can off a few dozen, and they answer to no one? Also, why is it that the FWP has seen fit to label cutthroat trout as "engangered" or "catch and release only", when there are, according to not only my experience, but that of others as well, that the "endangered" fish seem to be caught at a ten-to-one ratio of that of other species?

"I don't have time for this."

Well, then quit harassing me, and go find someone that is actually committing a crime. Can we get away from the fucking Spanish Inquisition now, so I can get back to paying part of your paycheck?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:11:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I will let you in on a secret my daddy taught me.

If your goal every time you speak to a warden is to see how long you can keep them talking, they will see you as the annoying guy who justs want to talk for an hour or two and purposely avoid you.

This actually works.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:41:41 AM EDT
[#24]
I am a game warden magnet. I was contacted a couple of times in NY, once I was riding with a guy and a warden stopped us for a loud muffler which was bogus, we were driving slow down a woods road and he thought we looked suspicious.
Was contacted once in Quebec, they flew in in a Beaver.
I don't know how many times I've been contacted in NV but it is a bunch. Once was when I came around a curve on a narrow, dirt, mountain road and one was stopped there blocking the way. He started with the usual small talk and asked what I was doing. I told him I was just out driving to seeing if there were any mountain quail this year. More small talk and then he said, " Well I know you're not hunting and you don't have a gun but could I see your hunting license?" I said "Sure".
I have never really had a bad experience with one.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:44:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Because they can.
View Quote

Sad but true
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:53:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

In NC, they have more authority than anybody else according to a State trooper I knew.
Do not mess with them....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Couple of bored, useless hard-chargers that think their job is relevant and that they're actually police officers.

Placate them and shoo them on their way.  Kind of like TSA except they have guns and arrest powers.

In NC, they have more authority than anybody else according to a State trooper I knew.

This is my understanding of the ones in Arkansas as well.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:08:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Old fish cops- "If you cast by that snag you'll get some good bites!" (after a brief visual)
New fish cops- "Paperz Pleeze!"
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:28:00 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I once befriended a fish cop.  It was a big mistake.  He was a scumbag.

I hate to say it, but to be a fish cop, you first have to be a scumbag.
View Quote

It's a trend.

And when they have enough scumbags behind the badge, they'll come for our guns.

And just how does the Constitution get thrown right out the window because of a fish/deer?

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:28:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Due process is for faggots apparently
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:34:16 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

They were fishing...for whatever they could.
View Quote
yep

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:38:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Up here the state ones are troopers with even more power and jurisdiction. They can fuck you quick. Federal ones dont have much pull and they regularly have issues with the state ones. Poaching is damn near worse than murder up here.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:58:15 AM EDT
[#32]
C. They have do that shit all the time. Its like they are too fucking retarded to remember anything.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:02:16 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Up here the state ones are troopers with even more power and jurisdiction. They can fuck you quick. Federal ones dont have much pull and they regularly have issues with the state ones. Poaching is damn near worse than murder up here.
View Quote
very true, even more so if a boat is involved, you have lost all your Constitutional rights if you are in a boat

also they have more equipment than most small countries, all confiscated
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:04:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Here's my advice.

Photograph the tag on your deer immediately after you tag it.  Document everything including the time you down your deer.

And secretly record any contact you may have with the fish cops.  Remember they are the closest thing that Canada or America has to the Gestapo.
View Quote

One fish cop supposedly  did a not so good freezer search to  hunter, and he got transferred to the most  Northwestern city/location of mainland US as a result, to avoid legal trouble.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:10:04 AM EDT
[#35]
I just don't understand how they can arbitrarily skirt the 4th amendment when it comes to searches for fish & game?  The burden of the state should never be passed to the people.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:18:20 AM EDT
[#36]
State popo run it in a special division.
Fish pigs are the fucking failures of the ODF&G.
They tend to get nicer during hunting season but are still power tripping sacks of flesh.

Last interaction I had with them left a sour taste in my mouth, a scumbag neighbor was poaching and killing critical wildlife and tossing the garbage bags of the corpses behind his house.  I contacted them after witnessing it and they basically told me to pound sand.

Reported a cougar sighting and they told me I was full of shit... a couple weeks later some soccer mom catches sight of it peering at her semen demons and it is on the news.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:21:07 AM EDT
[#37]
You were close and convenient.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:30:02 AM EDT
[#38]
A retired ww2 marine (Howard) lived across the street from us for a while when i was in high school.  He liked to tell a story about breaking in a wet behind the ears fish and game guy.

Howard did a lot of hunting and fishing after he retired, built a real nice camper for his truck etc.  He was out on an antelope hunt one fall and had been out for several days, but hadn't crossed paths with the right antelope.  F&G guy shows up in camp and wants to know how his hunt was going.  Howard wasn't one to say much more than necessary, so he just said no luck.  F&G cop sees a plastic garbage bag hanging off of the camper and states that it looked like a liver to him.  Nope, says Howard..  F&G is sure he has ol Howard dead to rights.  So he reaches into the bag to pull out the liver.  Except it was the days holdings from the toilet.

Ive always had pretty good dealings with the fish and game guys.  Made a mistake on an antelope tag once, they had me correct it and we were good to go.  They could have issued a citation and confiscated the game. It kind of depends on the numbers of liars and cheats they run into I suspect.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:33:19 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Nice analogy and dead on.  You have no constitutional rights when dealing with either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Couple of bored, useless hard-chargers that think their job is relevant and that they're actually police officers.

Placate them and shoo them on their way.  Kind of like TSA except they have guns and arrest powers.

Nice analogy and dead on.  You have no constitutional rights when dealing with either.
Yes you do

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:47:18 AM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

I'm sure that's coming.  But in the meantime...

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:18:08 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

That's just how they are. Consistent with every interaction I've ever had. I fucking hate the DNR.
View Quote
This. Its what they do.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:32:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

http://files.tactical-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/fwc2.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://files.tactical-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/fwc2.jpg

Tactical fish cops? What in the unholy fuck, over??
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:09:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Those poor defenseless fish...

Its for the kids
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:16:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Depends on the state laws, in Pa the fish and game LEO don't need search warrants to go through your stuff. They are pretty hard core.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:25:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Probably looking for "square grouper".

square grouper:

Nickname given to bales of marijuana thrown overboard or out of airplanes. Origin is reportedly from members of the US Coast Guard in the area of Southern Florida.
"Base we've got some square groupers floating outside of Miami harbor."
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:36:41 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
= asshole

You DO understand that you are a free citizen of the United States of America, right?

Did you get his "business card", name or any other contact info?

We have a pretty good relationship here with our Fish, Wildlife & Parks (FWP) guys and gals.

If that shit  happened here I would have paid the Region 1 Captain a personal visit (he has an open-door policy) and that game warden would have had to stand tall before the man.

YMMV
G

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

boredom.

+ ego

= asshole

You DO understand that you are a free citizen of the United States of America, right?

Did you get his "business card", name or any other contact info?

We have a pretty good relationship here with our Fish, Wildlife & Parks (FWP) guys and gals.

If that shit  happened here I would have paid the Region 1 Captain a personal visit (he has an open-door policy) and that game warden would have had to stand tall before the man.

YMMV
G

I think something like this would happen if you tried that in a lot of states:

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:44:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Years ago we got a new 'game warden' (Indiana Conservation Officers hate that term!) in our county.  The guy was a raging asshole.  His level of arrogance/aggression compared to that of a normal person was like the Goodyear Blimp to a soap bubble.  I think he had a personality disorder.  

Anyway, the HR manager at our plant thought it would be a good idea to invite the cop to our monthly plant-wide safety meeting to talk about boating safety.  Lots of employees were into fishing.  So the dude shows up and talks about PFD's, boating law, etc. and then launches into a tirade about how he was going to arrest a lot of people, including those in the meeting, if they didn't quit violating!   What a fucking jerk.  Fortunately he didn't last too long.  The guys we have now are much friendlier.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:54:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Right after I moved to Oregon,  my roomie at the time got busted on some unrelated technicality while fishing on a river bank.  They suspended his drivers license of all things, but not his fishing license.  

It was really annoying for everybody involved.  I had to drive him all over the place for the next six months because some fish cop found some gem in his book of shit that apparently stuck.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:10:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here. WAY more authority/leeway than other cops.

Funny thing, used to work with a great kid, big old farm boy.
He became a game warden, and every one liked him, even watermen.
He was polite, fair, and yet stern when needed.

More than once he'd pull over a boat that had drugs in plain view, and when he'd arrest them they'd holler,
"You can't do that! You're a FISH COP!"

I've rarely been stopped/checked and I spend a stupid amount of time on the water.
Usually, I get stopped a few times by any particular officer, then once they started to recognize me, they'd either wave and nod as they went by, or stop to make idle talk for a few minutes. Unless they had a rookie or cadet with them.

:
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:42:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
They were fishing...for whatever they could.
View Quote

Yeah, that would have been a fun comment to them on the 2nd contact.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top