Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:44:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Good thread Saigaman

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was in high school in the early 1980's

I remember gunwriter Peter Kokalis from SOF magazine went there and was the first westerner to test and eval the 5.45mm & AK-74
View Quote

I still have that issue....IIRC the ak74 had no pistol grip?

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:45:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

What is the groove on the stock for?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember gunwriter Peter Kokalis from SOF magazine went there and was the first westerner to test and eval the 5.45mm & AK-74

I was a military brat, and grew up hearing my Father saying we'd have to fight the fucking soviets someday, so this shit really peaked my interest

A few years later when I was in the Army, I bought Ezell's book on the AK-47

My First Sergent saw it and called me a "fucking war monger "  

https://www.k-var.com/shop/skin1/pages/US/Articles/Muzzle_Brake/images/Arsenal_KVAR%20-%20Collector's%20Corner%20-%20AK-74%20Muzzle%20Brakes%20Final%20Version_img_5.jpg

Visual indicator to differentiate between 7.62X39mm and 5.45mm rifles me thinks...
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:50:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

<facepalm>

Did everyone sleep through the 1970s, or what?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why were the Russians interested in taking A-stan?
Afghanistan really meant nothing economically(NO oil or natural resources that could be sold. Really nothing going for it except............They bordered Pakistan.  

<facepalm>

Did everyone sleep through the 1970s, or what?

Our public schools suck.

I have met people old enough to vote who had never heard of the Vietnam War.   It's also very common for them to think no wars happened - anywhere - between WW2 and Iraq/A-stan.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:51:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Some of y'all need to be educated on the "great game" .. Fuck when did they stop teaching history at universities
View Quote

30yrs ago?

The Great Game is an excellent book.

The Beast is another Afghan vs Soviet war movie.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:54:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was a military brat, and grew up hearing my Father saying we'd have to fight the fucking soviets someday, so this shit really peaked my interest

https://www.k-var.com/shop/skin1/pages/US/Articles/Muzzle_Brake/images/Arsenal_KVAR%20-%20Collector's%20Corner%20-%20AK-74%20Muzzle%20Brakes%20Final%20Version_img_5.jpg

Going off of memory, the groove was implemented to help bring the weight of the weapon down to the requirements set forth by the Soviet GRU.  It also served the secondary purpose of identifying the newer weapon that was chambered for the 5.45X39mm M74 cartridge.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:56:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Visual indicator to differentiate between 7.62X39mm and 5.45mm rifles me thinks...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yup
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:56:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Some of y'all need to be educated on the "great game" .. Fuck when did they stop teaching history at universities
View Quote

When it was allowed to become inconvenient against......a certain ideology which has become mainstream here in the United States of America.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:03:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
67% casualties due solely to illness and disease.....That's jacked up. Russia always struck me as a nation of peasant farmers trying to punch way above it's weight and those kind of stats only solidify that belief.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

67% casualties due solely to illness and disease.....That's jacked up. Russia always struck me as a nation of peasant farmers trying to punch way above it's weight and those kind of stats only solidify that belief.

IIRC, someone on Arfcom once said the Russians are nothing but a bunch of mongols pretending to be a first world nation.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:04:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
30yrs ago?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

30yrs ago?

I've never read The Great Game, but I own The Beast on DVD.  It's one of my favorites.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:08:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I do ham radio as a hobby and one of the 500 or so contacts I have made while exercising my hobby from Afghanistan was a Soviet Army Major (Retired) from the Ukraine who served in Afghanistan from 1979 - 1984. He and I emailed back and forth several times and swapped photos of our service there 30 years apart. One of the more memorable and unique QSO's (radio contacts) I have had.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:24:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've never read The Great Game, but I own The Beast on DVD.  It's one of my favorites.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

30yrs ago?

the Great Game is cheap used on Amazon.  Covers Several hundred years of history.   Interesting how we are fighting over much of the same ground.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:48:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

From what I remember they fighting to gain access to a warm water port

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why were the Russians interested in taking A-stan?

From what I remember they fighting to gain access to a warm water port

***snicker***
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:45:07 PM EDT
[#13]

It looks like his face is too far forward on the rifle, trying to do the "nose to the charging handle" thing

There is a good movie called "the Kite Runner", about a kid growing up in AFG pre-soviet invasion, and then going back after the taliban has taken over
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top