Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:43:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I saw more rebel flags in NC than I have anywhere else in my life.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:46:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
>snip<  
Additionally, there are some road rules/signs/dynamics that make me feel like the state is holding my hand while driving. There are raised concrete medians freaking everywhere. I'm constantly having to drive up 1-2 blocks so I can turn around, rather than being able to just take a left when I need to. Then there are the way the traffic lights work. In OH, most traffic lights will start off with the green arrow for those turning left, then it will turn to solid green while the drivers going straight are allowed to go, with those turning left still being able to turn albeit in a yield status. Here, the arrow turns green for no shit 3 seconds at some intersections, 4 cars get through, and then you have to wait until the next cycle. It's like NC doesn't trust drivers to yield when making a left at an intersection.
>snip<
View Quote

That's because everyone here is from NY, NJ, etc. etc. Makes you guys feel right at home.

I'm assuming you're in J'ville or Fayettenam. Those medians are so you drive by more prostitutes. Equal opportunity I suppose. By the way, if you're in Goldsboro...I'm so sorry.

They've been doing that for only a couple of years. See response #1.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:08:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Everyone I know from NC is a raging liberal.  Anything north of I-10 is Yankee.

NC is a nannystate.  

View Quote

No.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:30:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I saw more rebel flags in NC than I have anywhere else in my life.
View Quote

Hell, I saw a black man drive a pickup truck with two rebel flags flying behind the left and right corners of the cab with the words "Heritage, not hate" painted on the side of the bed.

The South is nothing like libtards from New England or the West Coast would have you believe.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:35:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Move to Cary (Containment Area for Relocated Yankees) and you'll feel better.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:39:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The pistol purchase permit was enacted at a time when no poor (black) man could afford the five dollars for the permit. It is a Jim Crow law.
View Quote

Just like the FOID act here in IL.  The FOID act is racist legislation enacted in response to the 1968 DNC in Chicago and other race riots as a means to keep black people from owning guns.

That said, while a FOID is a requirement to buy guns or ammo, that's not truly the case in NC and the NC card as I understand it can be circumvented by getting your CCW.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:40:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Move to Cary (Containment Area for Relocated Yankees) and you'll feel better.
View Quote

I have some old church friends that live in Cary(well it's technically Apex but I think its Cary with an Apex address) that say the Containment Area for Relocated Yankees isn't just a joke here.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:53:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You're in the wrong Carolina.

South Caroline is awesome. If you get the chance to go backpacking, Max Patch on the AT is incredible at sunset. The pictures don't do it justice.
View Quote

Sorry bud, but Max Patch is in North Carolina! We are home to the highest mountains east of west Texas, and beautiful scenery statewide.

There are SMALL pockets of progressivism restricted to the college towns/metropolitan cities. Urban transplants from my hometown joke that if you leave the county you go back in time 5 decades. It's a sad fact, but 45% of NC residents are not from here! That's right, New York and Mexico have occupied the Old North State

Here lies the Old North State, 1775-2008
-First declaration of independence in US

-turning point of Revolution (Guilford Courthouse)

--Contributed more men to the Confederacy than any other state

-One of the first dog breeds in US created here to hunt bear

-created bluegrass music and NASCAR

-very good at keeping a low political profile
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:43:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Their gun laws are very much remnants of Jim Crow laws.
View Quote

Yep.  Strange the Dems aren't all pissed off about that.  Oh, wait...
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:51:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I've never heard such a Whiney bitch

Try SC ..it's a much bigger shithole . NC rocks

Fayetteville is not North Carolina ..it's a gipsy camp full of outsiders and southern pines is full of Yankees that want to play golf
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:52:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Everyone I know from NC is a raging liberal.  Anything north of I-10 is Yankee.

NC is a nannystate.  

No.

Maybe he means Asheville ...? Most liberals I meet are alienated and castrated quickly around here
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:45:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

South Caroline is awesome. If you get the chance to go backpacking, Max Patch on the AT is incredible at sunset. The pictures don't do it justice.
View Quote

Max Patch is in Haywood County, NORTH Carolina.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:40:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quick lights and medians are done because of all the fucking inconsiderate self absorbed damned Yankees that have moved here.  Non driving, left lane hogging, oblivious,  clueless, mother fuckers

GTFO so we can get rid of them.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:43:48 AM EDT
[#14]
ITT: People who don't know anything about NC's history or culture, likely have never been there, and have no clue, talk about how much it sucks.

=
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:45:34 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

If you get a chance to go backpacking I suggest a map
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:23:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Permission slip to buy a pistol; yep, nanny state.
View Quote

Doesn't your state run a background check on you every year to see if you can still have your CCW whether you re-applied or bought a gun or not?

ETA: Oops. thats Kentucky
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:35:48 AM EDT
[#17]
I lived in NC from 1987 until 2010.

Yes, it is a Nanny state, fuck that place.

I do miss the beach and the Mountains.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:38:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:45:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, it is a Nanny State.  HUGE numbers of Obama stickers all over the RDU area, still to this day.

There is one irony, OP.  The most dangerous thing to bikers is left turning traffic.  All those medians help minimize that.

On the helmet thing....I get that a "law" makes you feel uncomfortable.... But I don't get the insistence about leaving your skull exposed while on a motorcycle.  Who among us would run at a wall and smack head first into it?  No one, because that would be dumb and dangerous.... And that is only 10-15 mph....  
Not saying you should get a ticket or a fine, but protect your bean, because it is the best idea thing for you and your family.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:48:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:01:43 AM EDT
[#21]
At least around Elizabeth City, NC you can choose to live in a mosquito control area/zone (higher taxes) or not.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:05:44 AM EDT
[#22]
I think I've used the purchase permit once; get a ccw, which is shall issue, and you are good to go.  Just as others have pointed out, it's an old Jim Crow law and a lot of the sheriffs still see it as a power and revenue object.  

The biggest problem with NC is the amount of liberals from the northeast relocating here for retirement.  

I think the OP's complaint about lights and concrete medians must be in more congested areas; as I don't see much of that here in western NC.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:09:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yeah, it is a Nanny State.  HUGE numbers of Obama stickers all over the RDU area, still to this day.

There is one irony, OP.  The most dangerous thing to bikers is left turning traffic.  All those medians help minimize that.

On the helmet thing....I get that a "law" makes you feel uncomfortable.... But I don't get the insistence about leaving your skull exposed while on a motorcycle.  Who among us would run at a wall and smack head first into it?  No one, because that would be dumb and dangerous.... And that is only 10-15 mph....  
Not saying you should get a ticket or a fine, but protect your bean, because it is the best idea thing for you and your family.
View Quote

Every town In South Carolina looks like an episode of the walking dead is being filmed there and rebar randomly grows out of the random shitty unkempt roads. At least North Carolina recovered from Sherman's march through ..

I went into Cheraw a few weeks ago and everyone was aimlessly walking around looking lost and high. The highest concentration of population was at the Tigermart where people were all buying maddog 20/20 to drink with a side of funions. Every other house had moss growing on it and the windows boarded up.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:21:48 AM EDT
[#24]
We are infested with a species of white-guilt do-gooder Progressives spawned by Terry Sanford I like to call "Andy Griffith Progressives".

Mostly they infest the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area, with nests in Asheville, Charlotte and Wilmington.

They are actually all about one party, keep themselves in power, rule and used to use racism, Jim Crow and the KKK to stay in power from 1876 (end of Reconstruction) until they discovered that if they convince blacks to vote for them (you know, the big lie that Democrats passed the Civil Rights Act) they could remain boss on the plantation.

In 2010 they lost the state government, but they still run most towns and counties and have a death grip on the media. "You know our local Democrats ain't like them DC Democrats" - except they vote that way.

Most people don't understand how ruthless the Democrats were in resizing power after Reconstruction. SC had an armed insurrection. NC had a coup d'etat in Wilmington.

Even before Jim Crow laws, the KKK and Democrat terrorists gave black ministers an ultimatum - tell your people to vote Democrat or we'll kill you (this was the start of the unholy alliance - throughout Jim Crow there were always some blacks that could vote and the preachers told them to vote Democrat - both to preserve their skins and for the preachers to have the backing to remain the "leaders" of the black community; like the Jewish government in the Warsaw Ghetto).

Democrats are always about power and power for their cronies. They'll morph into whatever to save their power (see Senator Byrd as a prime example - or President Clinton or...).
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:30:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Lived in Hubert, NC for 4 years. Loved it. Even though it was so close to the base, it was still a great place. I would move back there in a minute. Just stay away from the cities and you are fine.

I had a buddy get pulled over and locked up OUI. He called me to bail him out in New Bern.

Walk into the jail, tell them who I'm there for, and the guy tells me to go get him out of the cell. As we are walking out, he yells hey don't forget these. He hands me my buddies two pistols. Now I'm thinking its a setup or something. I'm walking out of the jail with two pistols and my buddy. I thought they were gonna shoot me. But he explained when they pulled him over and arrested him, he told them he had two pistols in the car and they asked him if he wanted them to go with him so no one would steal them. No license, permit or anything.

CSB
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:31:27 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

NC is infested with New Englanders that wouldn't keep on moving South.

The sign off business is an artifact of laws after the 68 GCA, and was common across many states. Some required letters that attested to a persons character, others left that up to the sheriff in order to get a permit to purchase. Missouri s permit to purchase has not been off the book s all that many years. Good riddance.

NCRPA has a good summary of permit requirements. The permit law dates to 1919.

View Quote

The purpose of the pistol purchase permit law was to prevent undesirables (blacks and Republicans) from having pistols. Can't have them shooting back at the Democrat night-riders when they come to lynch them, after all they might shoot the sheriff or the mayor.

Still that way today. Piss off ol' Moose Butler here in Cumberland County and you are not getting a pistol purchase permit.

I know an FFL that used to train deputies. Moose tried to railroad him over the evidence clerk stealing guns from the evidence locker and selling them as 'his personal collection' (the FFL didn't know, the clerk just shared a table with him at a gun show).

When the FFL beat Moose's play and the story broke... Well, no pistol purchase permits for the FFL - bad moral character, you see. Thank the Lord the General Assembly made it so you don't need one if you have a CHL.

By the way, in the death fight two years ago over repealing that piece of Jim Crow nastiness, ol' Moose was the NC Sheriffs Association president and he ran the full court press to keep it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:08:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Every town In South Carolina looks like an episode of the walking dead is being filmed there and rebar randomly grows out of the random shitty unkempt roads. At least North Carolina recovered from Sherman's march through ..

I went into Cheraw a few weeks ago and everyone was aimlessly walking around looking lost and high. The highest concentration of population was at the Tigermart where people were all buying maddog 20/20 to drink with a side of funions. Every other house had moss growing on it and the windows boarded up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are doing it wrong Jake. On a side note though, you wouldn't have the boiled peanuts like the ones on Hwy 11 or anywhere else if it wasn't for the little towns in the country. Probably like Charlotte don't you
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:11:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:14:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Happy Hour drink specials are illegal in NC, unless Happy Hour lasts all day.

It's always Bummer Hour in NC.

http://abc.nc.gov/education/permittee/faq.aspx
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:58:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You are doing it wrong Jake. On a side note though, you wouldn't have the boiled peanuts like the ones on Hwy 11 or anywhere else if it wasn't for the little towns in the country. Probably like Charlotte don't you
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes Yes.. Charleston, the only nice place in South Carolina

North Myrtle beach if you like old cadavers dancing Shag all over the place
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:21:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truth
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:28:34 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote
There are some counties that prohibit the sale of alcohol  You can easily get around it though. I always stop and pick up a lil something in Black Mountain before going further west

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:36:38 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

There are some counties that prohibit the sale of alcohol You can easily get around it though. I always stop and pick up a lil something in Black Mountain before going further west

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There are some counties that prohibit the sale of alcohol You can easily get around it though. I always stop and pick up a lil something in Black Mountain before going further west

Just remember that transport of more than 9 liters of spirits requires a permit (the ABC stores here will print it on demand).
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:45:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Lol more southern  hypocrites

"Huurrrrr we don't like Yankees coming down here telling is to give up our freedoms......"

Then Yankee comes down and wonders why they are less free than home
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:46:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The pistol purchase permit was enacted at a time when no poor (black) man could afford the five dollars for the permit. It is a Jim Crow law.
View Quote

In CT black people can buy guns and open carry them.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:48:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
IIRC, the handgun sign-off law is a hold over from the Jim Crow days.
View Quote

Why does it still stand?

Seems that any legislature would be quick to address legacy laws based on race.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:16:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Well that fucking settles it. I'm moving to NJ!!!

VA has no room to talk. Radar detectors illegal? Retarded.

In the 35 years I've been here, NC has become exponentially LESS nanny-ish in its behavior. Thankfully, the Dems are losing their grip on the state. I'd say we're much better off than all states that border NC.

Don't like it? I'm sure the rust belt will welcome you back with open, organized labor arms.
View Quote
This. Oh and the pistol permit thing is about to go away.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:24:23 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

There are some counties that prohibit the sale of alcohol  You can easily get around it though. I always stop and pick up a lil something in Black Mountain before going further west

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There have been a few threads about dry counties here.  I found them very interesting.  There are rational reasons for a county to decide not to deal with the state-imposed hassles for selling alcohol and collecting tax revenue for it.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:46:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

South Carolina is best Carolina?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

South Carolina is best Carolina?

Says our cousins who can't even carry a fucking gun in public. Yall can't even exercise your rights and yall want to say SC is better. Ha!
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:54:25 PM EDT
[#40]
The pistol permit thing is retarded. It been in place since before instant checks or the internet. The dumb part is that the LEO calls the same number as a gun shop calls if you were buying a long gun for the "check". The only difference is the ass-pain associated with it and the fact that the LE makes $5. Also in Hoke county, the shitbag sheriff will only grant 2 pistol permits a year. He says this is county "policy". IMO its not even legal. BTW, there are no gun shops in Hoke county. Also Hoke and Cumberland county won't sign any NFA forms, so trusts are required.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:57:12 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

This. Oh and the pistol permit thing is about to go away.

View Quote

I seriously doubt it will until we replace all the loyal Party cadre sheriffs who march to the Communist beat of Comrade Attorney General "Red" Roy Cooper's anti-RKBA band.

And the corrupt ones.

Two years ago the General Assembly passed a very comprehensive firearms law reform bill. The Senate version included repeal of the pistol purchase permit (the original House version didn't).

The NC Sheriffs Association (and almost all NC sheriffs are Democrats Communists), led by the chief corruptocrat, Cumberland County's own Sheriff Earl "Moose" Butler and supported by Comrade "Red" Cooper, pulled out all the stops and went positively old school NC Democrat Party machine politics on the General Assembly (especially the House) as the bill went to conference.

The loyal Party agitprop cadres at the N&O, the Charlotte Observer, the Fayetteville Disturber (Observer) and all the media (TV included) ran hit piece news stories and editorials about how this Jim Crow relic was somehow the only thing that kept gangs of out-of-state and local terrorists and gangsters from loading up with legally bought pistols at the e-v-i-l gun store.

The big lie is that the local sheriff has more intimate knowledge of whether a person is a prohibited person that a NICS check does. You know, because your sheriff knows you might be about to commit a felony or whatever. Amazing how other states manage without the supernatural pre-crime skills of some clerk in the local sheriff's office.

The political fury was non-stop and the PPP was left in the law.

The sheriffs won't give up the $5 permit fee that provides them a hefty slush fund - and the corrupt ones love the political power of being able to refuse permits to those they want to crush like a bug.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:47:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I've been here for about 6 months now. Whenever I was stationed in other states, I never found myself doing much comparing of laws (unless if I considered them "better") to Ohio, like I do here.

There's just some silly shit here that grabs my attention a little. Now, the mandated motorcycle helmet law (but what I read online doesn't appear to have mandated eye protection, unless if I read wrong ) is seemingly minor, but I consider that a pretty Nanny law. But the big one is the requirement to get signed off permission to purchase a handgun (unless if you have a CHL). Additionally, there are some road rules/signs/dynamics that make me feel like the state is holding my hand while driving. There are raised concrete medians freaking everywhere. I'm constantly having to drive up 1-2 blocks so I can turn around, rather than being able to just take a left when I need to. Then there are the way the traffic lights work. In OH, most traffic lights will start off with the green arrow for those turning left, then it will turn to solid green while the drivers going straight are allowed to go, with those turning left still being able to turn albeit in a yield status. Here, the arrow turns green for no shit 3 seconds at some intersections, 4 cars get through, and then you have to wait until the next cycle. It's like NC doesn't trust drivers to yield when making a left at an intersection.

Overall, I really like it here. The people are super friendly, unlike in the North. But I just constantly feel like I'm being nannied and am not trustworthy.
View Quote

Democrats ran the state for 110 years and only just now got the boot.  So yeah its a nanny state in some regards. And Oh yeah the sheriffs LOVE that old Jim crow law of pistol permits. Be happy that its not a blue state (although dems think it is) because it never allowed what they REALLY wanted to do.

Oh and take all you  "we did it this way up north" and FORGET IT. No one cares and no one wants to hear about it. and remember you are more than welcome to back up and go back if  "up there" is what you want.

That one thing and you will get along well with the natives.

What part of NC are you in?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:50:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Doesn't your state run a background check on you every year to see if you can still have your CCW whether you re-applied or bought a gun or not?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Permission slip to buy a pistol; yep, nanny state.

No.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Hoke and Cumberland county won't sign any NFA forms, so trusts are required.
View Quote

Volunteer State LE are required to sigh NFA paperwork. Plus, switchblades are legal to carry, so there's that, too.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:00:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Does the Pistol Purchase Permission Paper requirement extend to private sales, or are you all at least allowed to buy a Glock from your buddy?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:05:30 PM EDT
[#46]
fuck nc.
I lived in that fucking state for 8 years and swore id never live there again.. fucking HATE that state and all their stupid laws.

south carolina is best carolina, they got it all right down there. great gun laws, they tell odumbo to get fucked, no gas tax, tons of golf courses.. I could live in sc no problem.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:15:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Does the Pistol Purchase Permission Paper requirement extend to private sales, or are you all at least allowed to buy a Glock from your buddy?
View Quote

you are supposed to have it. The entire pistol purchase thing is not really enforced.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:22:18 PM EDT
[#48]
North Carolina is run by a bunch of UNC CH graduates. That should tell you everything you need to know. Corrupt liberals.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:32:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

AFAIK its still required for private sales.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:43:11 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View Quote

Any transfer (retail sale, private sale, gift, inheritance, whatever where physical ownership changes) of a pistol unless the receiver has a valid NC CHL.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top