Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:07:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Weird choices.  Are you looking at brand new?  If not, how old?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:10:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think the TDIs are all still made in Germany.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
VW = Mexico

I think the TDIs are all still made in Germany.

as were all mk6 GTI's
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:32:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
17 city/ 23 highway is considered good now? The STi/Evo cars are great but they do not get good MPG.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Get an Evo or STi

4 doors, good MPG, and still a blast to drive.

17 city/ 23 highway is considered good now? The STi/Evo cars are great but they do not get good MPG.

It's all about perspective. Compared to my F350 (460EFI), yes, that's good

Compared to my MK2 diesel VW, that's terrible.

My Evo averaged 22MPG, with mostly in town driving and lots of WOT. However, it was pretty heavily modded with Buschur Racing parts and a Mellon tune. God I miss that car...

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:42:39 PM EDT
[#4]
My co-worker has a '12 Jetta TDI with a manual.  For an econobox-ish type car that gets 40+ mpg, it's fast as fuck.  Not as quick right off the line, but once the turbo gets going and you get into the RPM range where there a lot of torque, it really moves.  He blew his turbo two months ago, which was replaced under warranty, but he drives like a maniac.  Mustang would obviously outperform it, but then you would be paying quite a bit for fuel.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:48:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My Evo averaged 22MPG, with mostly in town driving and lots of WOT. However, it was pretty heavily modded with Buschur Racing parts and a Mellon tune. God I miss that car...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get an Evo or STi

4 doors, good MPG, and still a blast to drive.

Agreed, on the matter of perspective. I just figured we were using the baseline of the TDI as being good MPG, considering the 5.0 Mustang is what it is being compared to.

ETA: What made you decide to sell the Evo?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:48:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My co-worker has a '12 Jetta TDI with a manual.  For an econobox-ish type car that gets 40+ mpg, it's fast as fuck.  Not as quick right off the line, but once the turbo gets going and you get into the RPM range where there a lot of torque, it really moves.  He blew his turbo two months ago, which was replaced under warranty, but he drives like a maniac.  Mustang would obviously outperform it, but then you would be paying quite a bit for fuel.
View Quote

My wife had an 05 Jetta TDI wagon that took a good solid second for the turbo to spool up.  Took a little bit to get used to that and to get over the "oh shit, we're not moving and that truck is going to destroy us" feeling when trying to pull out into heavy traffic.  But once it got moving, it had a nice amount of torque to get you up to speed.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:50:32 PM EDT
[#7]
My 2012 Golf TDI is fast, quite fast for diesel, some Mustangs and Camaros were left behind a bunch of times, of course not from  a full stop. Love that little car.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:53:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Doooo EEeeeet!

I just picked this up last week and am in love.

I can't figure out why my pictures are always small.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:57:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm failing to see how a Mustang is viewed as a business car for clients.

But I'm liking it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:01:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm failing to see how a Mustang is viewed as a business car for clients.

But I'm liking it.
View Quote

A guy I knew in college had a 96 GT with the rear bumper covered in Grateful Dead stickers.  After he graduated he got a job as a commercial HVAC sales rep with one of the huge HVAC companies.  One client lunch later and it was traded in on an Acura TL.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:05:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I am undergoing several lifestyle changes - so it is difficult for me to guess what I really want out of my next car.  I am genetically a cheap bastard, and educated occupationally to be a still cheaper one.  That said, those have led me to a place that I can afford to commute 150 miles per day in an F150 getting 12mpg (at least $$ wise, it is very hard for me to actually do).  My wife started freaking when I commuted a couple weeks in my truck - simply enjoying the better ride quality than the beater Saturn.

I don't know how am modern Mustang rides.  Before the dawn of time, when the dinosaurs still ruled the earth - I had a Camaro.  I loved it, but it was a cruel bitch ride wise - leaving me fairly sore after 2hr drives (worse than the Saturn leaves me now - it is very light and has a relatively stiff suspension).  The gross vehicle weight of the F150, coupled with all the creature comforts I want make it more pleasant even as it rolls from side to side with every bump.  My wifes Sienna rides very smoothly - but could use more noise damping (my F150 is quieter, and my Dodge before it was still more silent).

View Quote

The new edge Mustang rides very well for a muscle car.  You are looking at 26 mpg on the highway.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:08:34 PM EDT
[#12]

WTF is wrong with you?  That screams chick car or 15 yr old boy.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:15:07 PM EDT
[#13]
OP, you need to add a poll. Let arfcom decide what happens to your wallet
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:15:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Makes sense. I like it
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:19:19 PM EDT
[#15]
New TDI's are biturbo with more power under the curve IIRC.

Yes they use piss in the exhaust, but over on the vortex they are getting 50mpg+ which is well worth a $10 bottle of urine every 10,000-15,000 miles.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:43:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Tough to compare these two cars.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:13:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I loved my GT. I'll own another.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:11:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I am undergoing several lifestyle changes - so it is difficult for me to guess what I really want out of my next car.  I am genetically a cheap bastard, and educated occupationally to be a still cheaper one.  That said, those have led me to a place that I can afford to commute 150 miles per day in an F150 getting 12mpg (at least $$ wise, it is very hard for me to actually do).  My wife started freaking when I commuted a couple weeks in my truck - simply enjoying the better ride quality than the beater Saturn.

I don't know how am modern Mustang rides.  Before the dawn of time, when the dinosaurs still ruled the earth - I had a Camaro.  I loved it, but it was a cruel bitch ride wise - leaving me fairly sore after 2hr drives (worse than the Saturn leaves me now - it is very light and has a relatively stiff suspension).  The gross vehicle weight of the F150, coupled with all the creature comforts I want make it more pleasant even as it rolls from side to side with every bump.  My wifes Sienna rides very smoothly - but could use more noise damping (my F150 is quieter, and my Dodge before it was still more silent).

View Quote

I'd get the TDI and not think twice about it.

Let's be honest, you, like everyone else, isn't getting any younger. The GT will be a passing fancy most likely, and in a few years it will be just another mustang in a sea of identical mustangs. The Golf will always be desireable for it's mileage-try pricing a 2001 Jetta TDI and you'll see which is worth having after they get a few years on them.

IMO, the only mustangs worth having are the ones that cost $60k or more, and if I wanted to go that fast I'd just get a bike. Would you consider getting the TDI and a cheap used bike? You get your practical car and something to sport around on and pick up teh wimminz.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:13:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The Golf will always be desireable for it's mileage-try pricing a 2001 Jetta TDI and you'll see which is worth having after they get a few years on them.
View Quote

I sold my wife's with 168k miles in May for $7000.  Couldn't believe it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:06:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I drove a MkIV Golf TDI for over 150k miles and loved every minute of it.  I swapped out the springs and struts for some Neuspeed Sofsports and Koni yellows, and that thing is like a go-kart.  Even with only 90hp, it's a blast to drive.  Now I drive a MkV GTI with a stage 1 tune and intake, and it's a blast too.  They are both fun in their own way.

I've decided if my next car is some type of performance car, it won't be fwd.  I'm already pushing the limits of practicality with the GTI.  So if I go for something fun, it'll be awd or rwd, which rules out the GTI.  I'm seriously considering the Mustang, although I'd probably get the Ecoboost (rather than the GT) and give it a tune.  Just have to wait and see how they hold up to a little work.

But if I had a commute like you do, I'd be buying the TDI without a second thought.  Sure, I'd get it tuned by APR or someone like that, but I'd be driving a TDI.  Just being able to drive 600 to 700 miles between fill-ups is a luxury all to itself.  And it moves well enough to put up with any BS on the highway.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:13:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Mustang!

SVO is best Mustang!

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:18:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Compleatly differs cars. Have you considered a bi-turbo Bimmer? Used Audi S4? Both will tick the performance itch but give you 4 doors and a client lunch car ability but gas mileage will be akin to a Mustang.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:23:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Hmmmm, what do I want to eat. . . An apple, or a fork?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:30:38 PM EDT
[#24]
TDI with biofuel
Save for GT
Profit.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:03:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have been considering getting a Golf TDI for several years - to replace my current beater (a Saturn that gets 35mpg and is just shy of 250k miles). Currently am also considering other VW TDI's as well.   I know, in true AR15 fashion, I should just get both - but my parking (at least for the next year or so) is limited.  Anyone care to brainstorm their comparative merits and issues?

My initial wag is the TDI will get better mileage and be a more comfortable.  The GT will be initially more fun (although the TDI should have good life in it), but ultimately less comfortable to drive any distance in.  The TDI will have lower initial cost, lower operating cost, but potentially more repair costs.  Just a wag, but it will also probably hold value better.

As a business vehicle, client perception can carry weight.  People will be looking for my because my services are cost effective.  This limits my vehicle choices to more utility/non-luxury vehicles.  
View Quote

Your pick:

6:

or the 3:

both can get 40mpg highway properly equipped.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:22:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Truck=Man
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:25:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Our neighbors have VW TDI Jettas.  I cannot reasonably guesstimate how many times they've had dealer loaner cars while their vehicles have been serviced under warranty.  Or they are shitty California drivers and keep wrecking them.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:31:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Golf TDI

Diesel, torque, storage, and fun. We have a used 13 Golf TDI at work with a 6-speed manual. Fun as hell.

And best damn interior ever!

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:55:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Ok, perhaps my idea of a client car was not spelled out.  I will not be taking clients out - but I would be parking it in front of my office.  The car would reflect me.  My business is not one of luxuries.  I could afford a nice new Mercedes - but it simply does not project the frugal image I would need to project.  Nothing frugal about a luxury car.  That said, horsepower is more easily understood by hard working Americans than butt warmers.  Yes a Tahoe/Suburban is the correct choice - but I don't want another one of those, seems like I just got rid of the last one.

Anyway, car project is on temporary hold.  A Bobcat is looking like more fun at the moment.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:57:06 PM EDT
[#30]
...what?

I've driven the new TDIs and they're pretty quick in stock trim, but they're still FWD, and behaves like a FWD, which I hate... although that being said, rolling coal in a TDI is giggle-worthy.

I'd go with the Mustang if it's for fun, between the two.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:59:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted so I can keep laughing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Truck or if you incest on a car then go GT. Screw mpg by driving a chick car, life is short so enjoy it

Quoted so I can keep laughing.

Freudian slip?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:01:37 PM EDT
[#32]
If you buy the VW, just make sure to get rid of it before the warranty is up...
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:02:38 PM EDT
[#33]
These cars are so different it is really based on your needs.  A mustang GT is fun, but getting 600+ miles from a tank in a TDI is nice as well.  I have a 2014 Jetta TDI that I bought new in March and am just about to click over 12k miles on it.  My best tank so far was mostly highway at 65-70 mph and I averaged 46.1 mpg.  The car is comfortable, fun, and easy on the wallet in the fuel department.  If you really just want that V8 fun that the mustang offers go for it, but if you want something more practical then go after the TDI.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:03:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Mustang GT without a doubt.
View Quote

Yeah I have to go this.  The cars are not comparable but I am not a van of super small cars with no HP.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:06:14 PM EDT
[#35]
GDI
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:16:47 PM EDT
[#36]
I had a VW diesel truck that kept blowing head gaskets and frying cylinders.
VW continually maintained it was not a problem with the model even though
every owner I talked to had the same problem.  They would not fix it under
warranty.  I highly recommend never buying anything from VW.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:21:46 PM EDT
[#37]

We've got the TDI in the Jetta (She wanted the wagon) and I find myself stealing it for long trips all the time. I have a fairly heavy foot, but over 40 MPG at 80MPH is pretty nice. And it is comfortable and easy to park.

YMMV. Literally and Figuratively
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:28:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

We've got the TDI in the Jetta (She wanted the wagon) and I find myself stealing it for long trips all the time. I have a fairly heavy foot, but over 40 MPG at 80MPH is pretty nice. And it is comfortable and easy to park.

YMMV. Literally and Figuratively
View Quote

Got a 2014 GT convertible here. If you enjoy tinkering with the car you will enjoy it. RWP is around 380ish with a standard. Some minor changes and you can be around the listed 420 hp to the wheels. Get rid of the stock exhaust and go with the quad gt500 mufflers and you will enjoy the heck out of it.. I'm hoping I can drop in a centri supercharger on mine soon and bump it up to 570 RWP

Just don't expect to drive it if it snows alot
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:44:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Over the years I went from brand-new 99 GT to a 2002 Corvette and then to 2013 GT.

I can't comment on the TDI but I can tell you although the power of the new GT was awesome I always felt the car itself felt like a boat. Maybe it's just because I spent so many years in the Corvette but the GT just felt so huge and lacking in the handling feel. Can't say I would not get another one though

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:59:42 PM EDT
[#40]
How the fuck did it ever come down to these two?

I could see Mustang vs Camaro vs Challenger.

Or VW TDI vs any other Euro hipster shitbox.

But Mustang vs vw?

Everyone I know who has owned a VW TDI has bragged about how wonderful it was and bought a different make/model afterwords.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top