Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:40:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Have you honestly ever been pulled over and had your fuel inspected by the trooper or witnessed this? Guys in the oilfield talked about this left and right but was always "I knew this one guy one time blah blah blah"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Could the typically red color of the ATF give enough tint to your fuel to cause you problems if anybody wanted to claim you were using off-road diesel for highway use?

Have you honestly ever been pulled over and had your fuel inspected by the trooper or witnessed this? Guys in the oilfield talked about this left and right but was always "I knew this one guy one time blah blah blah"

I have ONCE in 10 years of otr. The red tint may look fucky at first glance. They will pull you off to the side for a on the spot fuel analysis.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:44:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I have ONCE in 10 years of otr. The red tint may look fucky at first glance. They will pull you off to the side for a on the spot fuel analysis.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Could the typically red color of the ATF give enough tint to your fuel to cause you problems if anybody wanted to claim you were using off-road diesel for highway use?

OTR or non DOT truck like a POV of a oilfield hand etc??
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:47:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They check a lot of trucks at the mackinaw bridge. They don't actually look at your fuel just run a sniffer past your exhaust.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:50:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:52:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I ran 1000 to 1 mix in my 05 Ram.  Mostly due to common lift pump problems. The cylinders and valves are the least of your worries on a modern diesel are not problematic at factory settings
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:54:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
B20 is proven to be more beneficial than any additive.
View Quote

All of my diesels ran smoother on B20+ than anything else.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:57:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

B20 is proven to be more beneficial than any additive.

What is your objective...running smooth or better fuel economy....you are are not getting better fuel economy with B20.   And you engine is not running "smoother"......that is not a technical term.   Do you have DPFs on your vehicle...if so I would be concerned with their longevity with B20.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:59:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I use Power Service additive, prevents gelling when cold and helps lube the older diesel engines.  I'd be hesitant to add ATF as  injectors and pumps aren't cheap.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:00:15 PM EDT
[#9]

NO for fucks sake......show me any manufacturers owners manual for a modern electronically controlled diesel engine that calls for mixing oil in the fuel tank.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:01:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Diesel tech here.
People have been doing this since way before ULSD. They claim multiple purposes, cleaning, lubricity when running #1, restoring/swelling seals.
Most fill the filter when changing it rather than dumping it in  the tank, some do both.
I have never seen it do any good, on the other hand I have never seen any harm, makes no difference if it's a Cat, 7.3 or 6.0 PS, 6.6 or 7.8 DM, ISX, ISM, or B series Cummins, Mack, International, John Deere, or Volvo, DPF and EGR equipped or not, HUEI, electronic, or mechnical injectors, if you want to have at it, if not it'll be just fine too.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:02:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote

Nope. Same could be said for Marvel's Mystery Oil.  

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:06:26 PM EDT
[#12]
NO!

I work for a major diesel manufacturer, and can tell you first hand about the number of engine failures I've personally seen due to people putting stuff in the fuel tank they shouldn't have.  Sure, the older engines (pre 1990's) with mechanical fuel systems were more tolerant of crap in the fuel, but modern electric engines, with High Pressure Common Rail Electronic injection systems are very sensitive to fuel quality.

The only thing safe to add to your fuel will be additives that are listed as approved in the owners manual.  This might be things like lubricity and cetane enhancers, anti-soap agents (the new ultra low sulfur fuels form soap deposites), and perhaps some other appropriately branded and approved products to periodically clean and treat the fuel system.  Many engine manufactures also have approved systems that can mix used engine oil with the fuel in very small quantities.  The purpose is to provide longer oil change intervals by slowly burning off some of the "used" oil and replacing it with "clean" oil from a make up tank.  I'm not aware of any passenger vehicle applications that do this, but it is found on industrial engines as well as some over the road trucks.

The old adage about ATF in the fuel had to do with the detergents found in ATF.  The though by many was that these detergents would help clean up any deposits in the injector and in the cylinder.  I'm not sure anyone ever proved it did or didn't work, but I've hear a lot of guys swear to it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:09:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Only thing I run is TCW-3 ashless 2 stroke oil in my 97' PSD, 1oz per gallon.
View Quote

I do this with 89 IDI 7.3, 97 7.3PSD and 02' 7.3PSD. Wal-Mart brand TCW-3
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:09:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My buddy who owns his own trucking company buys it in bulk. He claims it gets him more mileage and lubes the system. He runs it in his 99 F250.  When I owned  my F350 I used clear filtered vegtable oil. There was a noticable difference when I switched tanks, the truck ran smoother, and got better fuel mileage. Smelled like french fries. I knew where it came from and it was tested for water and acid prior to use.
View Quote

I call BS on better fuel mileage.  It may run "smoother" due to some changes in the combustion event (probably a slower event due to the change in fuel properties from the veggie oil), but pretty tough to put anything in the fuel tank to help you get better mileage.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:11:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Of course it would be illegal but Jet A would run just fine in a modern diesel with an additive such as motor oil to lube it up.  Not that I have any personal experience just sayin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I heard jp7 works wonders

Let me know op

Where would a person find JP7 since the SR-71 was retired?

Or did you mean 8?  

I meant what I said. That was the joke

I doubt he will be procuring any 8,5, or 4 either

Gotcha.  And getting 8 is even tough.  My base doesn't even use it anymore, jet a is cheaper.

Of course it would be illegal but Jet A would run just fine in a modern diesel with an additive such as motor oil to lube it up.  Not that I have any personal experience just sayin.

Do that for a few thousand miles in a DOC/DPF/SCR/DEF truck and get back with me on how it worked out for you. If the repair bill is any less than $5000.00 dollars, I'll pay for it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:13:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I converted my 2005 Ram to run vegetable oil.  I ran about 1,000 gal of good clean oil with no problem.  Then I got hold of some oil with something in it that ate my injectors.  After replacing the injectors I decided that the only thing I will put in my engine is what it is designed for.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:13:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:   Do that for a few thousand miles in a DOC/DPF/SCR/DEF truck and get back with me on how it worked out for you. If the repair bill is any less than $5000.00 dollars, I'll pay for it.
View Quote

Yep, a lot of modern diesels can run either JetA or Diesel (especially military contract built products) but those engine typically have enhancements to the fuel system to help it live on the really "dry" Jet Fuel.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:17:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Couple of things I've learned while mixing waste atf with diesel. You need to filter the waste fluid because it will contain small amounts of metal and clutch material that is abrasive to your injection pump and injectors. (Clutches are made of asbestos)
I used filter bags in a PVC housing I built to filter as it went in a 55 gal drum. Also put several stereo speakers on the side of the drum and let it sit for 30 days to remove any suspended metal. Filtering was thru a 5 micron bag and then a 1 micron bag.

I would not do it on a newer diesel because the emissions are monitored much closer and it lowers the cetane rating of your fuel.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:33:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Yep, a lot of modern diesels can run either JetA or Diesel (especially military contract built products) but those engine typically have enhancements to the fuel system to help it live on the really "dry" Jet Fuel.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:   Do that for a few thousand miles in a DOC/DPF/SCR/DEF truck and get back with me on how it worked out for you. If the repair bill is any less than $5000.00 dollars, I'll pay for it.

Has nothing to do with the fuel system; current Jet A is too high in sulphur content for aftertreatment systems, universally. If the vehicle is equipped with a DPF and other associated aftertreatment, Jet A or JP8 will destroy it and will do so in only a few regen cycles. There is no additive or physical "enhancement" to the vehicle to alter the sulphur content or allow the particulate filter substrate to deal with it or clean it out during regeneration.

Not speculation, this is strictly fact. Some Jet-A is even above the allowable sulphur limit of the old LSD (500ppm) On-Road fuel. At the lowest figures quoted, it is still ~2600% above the allowable manufacturer limits for aftertreatment systems (15ppm)

Commercial aviation fuel (Jet A/A-1) contains sulfur at concentrations of 400-800 ppm, although there is significant variation. By contrast, US road transportation fuel is subject to an ultra-low sulfur fuel standard of 15 ppm, which is about 97% less than jet fuel.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:48:29 PM EDT
[#20]
I love diesel posts in GD.....
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:56:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Opti-Lube or mixing in some bio.  Got almost 200k out of my VW TDI (CR) before trading it in.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:56:40 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote
They are irresistable.

I only lurk on the diesel forums (including my own) because engaging in that is work instead of recreation for me. Literally. But I just can't seem to turn it down here. Primarily because 98% of ARF doesn't know their head from their ass when it comes to oil burners, and 1.5% of the remaining two think they know something when they don't; "facts" usually generated from 50% "my daddy told me's", 50% stupidity, and 50% imagination/making shit up. Yes, that's 150% fucking ignorance

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:12:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

They are irresistable.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They are irresistable.  

I only lurk on the diesel forums (including my own) because engaging in that is work instead of recreation for me. Literally. But I just can't seem to turn it down here. Primarily because 98% of ARF doesn't know their head from their ass when it comes to oil burners, and 1.5% of the remaining two think they know something when they don't; "facts" usually generated from 50% "my daddy told me's", 50% stupidity, and 50% imagination/making shit up. Yes, that's 150% fucking ignorance

Thats a big 10-4

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:15:22 PM EDT
[#24]
I for one fully admit I don't know shit even though I have two of them.

Matter of fact you will have a hard time finding a topic I will admit to knowing anything about.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:17:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Matter of fact you will have a hard time finding a topic I will admit to knowing anything about.
View Quote
at least you own a diesel.....that puts you well ahead of 99% of GD.  

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:21:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2 of them and they are different brands

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:22:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do you have stack?  What about truck nuts?

Poser
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:22:53 PM EDT
[#28]
-Power Service for biocide/water treatment occasionally. (Bio Kleen)
-TCW-3 in non-cat engines.
-ATF to fill fuel filters if I don't have any diesel handy in all mechanical pump & HEUI engines to re-prime after servicing. Helps get weak mechanical injector pump problem children primed after changing fuel filters mainly.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:44:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Pre 2000 adding ATF to diesel fuel was common. It was a good cheap additive.  Now we all run two stroke in our older trucks for the added lubricity.
View Quote

Yep, me too.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:48:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

not going to happen, the reason is that the Etec direct injected 2 stroke outboard is much cleaner than their 4 stroke peers. They specify to run low ash tcw-3. so you will be good to go for a while.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Two cycle oil in the 06 Duramax. 8oz per tank. Available at Walmart.

I figure it's just a matter of time before the EPA tries to kill off the 2 cycle oil just for this purpose.

not going to happen, the reason is that the Etec direct injected 2 stroke outboard is much cleaner than their 4 stroke peers. They specify to run low ash tcw-3. so you will be good to go for a while.

Not to mention that there are a million+ sleds out there that still need that oil, as well as chain saws, dirt bikes, etc. They can't just ban the oil.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:56:45 PM EDT
[#31]
The idea is that it will lube up the injectors.

Any person who uses used oil in the fuel is going to spend a shit ton on injectors/pumps. Filtering does nothing.

Google centrifuges.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:36:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Any person who uses used oil in the fuel is going to spend a shit ton on injectors/pumps. Filtering does nothing.

Google centrifuges.
View Quote

When I change the oil in any of my shit I run it thru a paper filter mix it with diesel in a bucket and dump it in my '89. That truck has been burning it for over 10 years.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:36:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Yeah, I'll the first to admit that I don't know shit about diesels. I bought mine about a year ago, due to the great gas mileage. Figured I'd give it a shot. Not a truck, VW tdi. So far I'm enjoying it, a little rough at idle, but no biggie. Plus I love the go go gadget smoke screen when I floor it.
So from what you guys are saying is that I should be running an additive, cause I'm pre 2007? Mine is 2005.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:57:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

When I change the oil in any of my shit I run it thru a paper filter mix it with diesel in a bucket and dump it in my '89. That truck has been burning it for over 10 years.

http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/153/63/1063153.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Google centrifuges.

People would shit a brick if they learned you could get rid of old gas like this too.  Just add a little to your oil mix (no more than 10% of the total).  
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:55:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Google centrifuges.

I know people who have been doing that for decades, without any known problems. But I don't know if it's safe on the new generation of diesels.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:59:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When we were still farming, there was about a 50/50 chance of "pull around back" at the scale, and they usually checked the tanks. I always assumed it was because they know farm trucks have easy access to untaxed diesel, and they also probably expect farm trucks to slack off with maintenance (we didn't).
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:06:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
When I worked for Ryder we did a lot of PMs on the tractors.  When we did the oil changes, we pumped the used oil through a RACOR filter system which diluted the used oil with diesel fuel and dumped it right back into the fuel tank on the truck.  We didn't have to pay for oil disposal and they may even have saved a few bucks on fuel costs by burning the used oil.

This was business as usual for years and I never heard of any injector or pump problems.

ETA:  I stopped working for Ryder in '89 or '90,  I don't know what their practice is now.
View Quote

I did that with all my used oil up until a few years ago
everything now is ulsd, dont in any of those
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:06:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Do not anything to your fuel.  Keep your filters clean.  If you need an additive, something is wrong.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:06:34 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Pre 2000 adding ATF to diesel fuel was common. It was a good cheap additive.  Now we all run two stroke in our older trucks for the added lubricity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

In pre-07 diesels I've heard good reviews on this.  I wouldn't hesitate to try it in my 98.

Quoted:
Do not anything to your fuel.  Keep your filters clean.  If you need an additive, something is wrong.

Um, you haven't actually read this thread and don't seem to grasp the changes between LSD and ULSD.  Older diesels needed the lubricity in LSD for their injection pumps.  ULSD offers very little lubricity, so additives are recommended.  Not to mention, diesel likes to gel in cold temperatures so additives can help reduce gelling.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:10:02 PM EDT
[#40]
My Bro-in-law owns a large auto repair shop and he runs his big diesel wrecker using old recovered transmission fluid from the lube center.  Has nearly a half million miles on this wrecker and is also adding it to his $600K motorhome with a 500hp cummins.  No problems and saves a lot of money doing it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:21:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

In pre-07 diesels I've heard good reviews on this.  I wouldn't hesitate to try it in my 98.

Um, you haven't actually read this thread and don't seem to grasp the changes between LSD and ULSD.  Older diesels needed the lubricity in LSD for their injection pumps.  ULSD offers very little lubricity, so additives are recommended.  Not to mention, diesel likes to gel in cold temperatures so additives can help reduce gelling.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As an owner of multiple diesels.....i know what im talking about. Its an 05' for gods sake.  I have an 84 that runs fine.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:22:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Here's an interesting read.

Diesel fuel lubricity additives study result
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:23:43 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I wouldn't use either, ATF while it feels slippery is abrasive, MMO, forget it. If i add anything it's from the B&G products line.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I would use Marvels before ATF.

I wouldn't use either, ATF while it feels slippery is abrasive, MMO, forget it. If i add anything it's from the B&G products line.
abrasive

Do you have any more info on this?

automatic transmissions and hydraulics generally are very sensitive to abrasives.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:25:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Old cigarette butts work best, they filter out all the bad stuff. Add in a pearl necklace for lubricity and you're g2g.

Seriously though, Opti lube XPD is the shit.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:26:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Only thing I run is TCW-3 ashless 2 stroke oil in my 97' PSD, 1oz per gallon.
View Quote

This, when I cant get bio diesel. I run 2 stoke.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:28:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes it could .
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:34:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have been checked.  Once.  At the stock yards.  They were checking about everyone.  Couple people got busted.  

It is pretty common to run red dye around here.  They have been cracking down pretty hard in the last few years.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:05:26 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
As an owner of multiple diesels.....i know what im talking about. Its an 05' for gods sake.  I have an 84 that runs fine.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Diesel fuel quality in the U.S. is generally pretty bad. Things like water, fine particulates, and inconsistent additive packages at certain times of the year can cause all types of problems.  The increase in common rail systems and the very high pressures that they run (30k + psi) really make the problems show up.

If you lucky enough to always buy your fuel at a very high quality vendor....good for you...other wise running a quality additive that complies with your engines' requirement is recommended.

Also pay very close attention to filtration requirements. Buying the OEM filter is always a good idea.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:23:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
They are irresistable.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They are irresistable.  

I know this much, I'm not using my truck as the test subject to see if ATF is safe or not. Lol

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:24:00 PM EDT
[#50]
The derp is strong in this thread.

Why the fuck would you run atf in a 15000 dollar engine when they make a thing call fuel additive?

Buy any major brand of fuel additive and use it.

They are all the same. Made by pretty much the same blending facility.

Edit:

EGR started in 03.

2007+ was dpf.

2010+ was SCR/DEF.

Don't run an oil in anything that has a good fuel filter. You'll have issues.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top