Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 7/29/2014 7:40:14 AM EDT
Seems like a really bad idea to me, but special snowflakes only think the fda and red cross are being mean and descriminating.

petition to remove ban on gays donating
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:41:13 AM EDT
[#1]
How about, NO!
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:43:34 AM EDT
[#2]
You are mad at "special snowflakes" for wanting to make donations to the Red Cross?  

Oh the horror!  What charity will they demand to give to next?!
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:44:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You are mad at "special snowflakes" for wanting to make donations to the Red Cross?  

View Quote

AIDS charity?

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:44:36 AM EDT
[#4]
That's a really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, bad idea.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:45:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote

Give money.

They can keep the gay blood.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:46:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I've never donated blood so I don't know how it works, but can't they just say they aren't gay?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:46:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:46:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I've never donated blood so I don't know how it works, but can't they just say they aren't gay?
View Quote
No, they have gaydar installed at the red cross entrances.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:47:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Heck NO!
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:47:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Is blood from gay people untestable for diseases or are you all afraid of transferring the gay?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:47:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is blood from gay people untestable for diseases or are you all afraid of transferring the gay?
View Quote

You repeat yourself.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:48:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote
Statistically speaking it drastically increases the chances for a disease to slip by. Math is a bigot.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:48:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Give money.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Give money.

That was a quick edit.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:48:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol'd
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:49:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

That was a quick edit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Give money.

That was a quick edit.
Good thing too.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:50:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

They do test for AIDS and if you ever test positive,then you are bared for life. But it can take 6 months after infection for a person with AIDS to show up as positive.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:51:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Yeah I don't feel so hot about an outright ban on gay men giving blood, but the numbers justify the reason for me.

From CDC's website:
Gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men (MSM)a represent approximately 2% of the United States population, yet are the population most severely affected by HIV. In 2010, young gay and bisexual men (aged 13-24 years) accounted for 72% of new HIV infections among all persons aged 13 to 24, and 30% of new infections among all gay and bisexual men. At the end of 2010, an estimated 489,121 (56%) persons living with an HIV diagnosis in the United States were gay and bisexual men, or gay and bisexual men who also inject drugs.
View Quote

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/risk/gender/msm/facts/index.html

I don't know what the testing process is for donated blood before a transfusion, but any time the lab techs spend trying to test for extra diseases in the blood is just that much fewer resources that actually get to the people that need it. There are a whole hell of a lot of reasons you can be denied for the donation of blood, but since it's a donation, you can't force somebody to accept a donation they don't want.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:51:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Considering gay people only make up 1.6% of the population it simply isn't worth the higher risk of contaminating the supply. Cost-benefit and all that.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:51:53 AM EDT
[#19]
i guess they are in favor of letting child molesters volunteer at preschools too?  fucking idiots.  no thanks, i'd rather not get aids
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:53:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

They only test for a handfull of diseases.  There are many known diseases that they do NOT test for and probably many more that have not been discovered yet.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:53:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Men who have sex with men (MSM) are the #2 highest lifestyle risk category for HIV/AIDS, after intravenous drug use.

ETA:  I stand corrected.  Apparently, MSM-ers are at greater risk than junkies.

Detection methods are better now than they were decades ago, yes, but are you going to test the entire donation or just a small sample?  It's possible to miss if the donor has recently contracted the disease and cell density is not very high.  And of course this is a donor with a significant, statistical-based risk factor.

I don't care if you're gay, but it's not worth the risk to other people to go sharing blood with them.  If you want to help, there are plenty of other ways.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:53:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Considering gay people only make up 1.6% of the population it simply isn't worth the higher risk of contaminating the supply. Cost-benefit and all that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same reason they don't let people who lived in Scotland during a certain time period donate blood.  Which, if I recall correctly, has a lower chance of contaminating the blood supply that a gay donation of blood would.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:54:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
i guess they are in favor of letting child molesters volunteer at preschools too?  fucking idiots.  no thanks, i'd rather not get aids
View Quote

Ya thats the same thing.

Carry on.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:54:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:55:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:55:25 AM EDT
[#26]
They can't reproduce sexually, so they want to spread gayness by tainting the blood supply. Go into the hospital for an appendectomy, get some blood...BOOM! Come out an interior decorator.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:55:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Keep the ban in place until assholes like me who lived too long in Western Europe can donate blood.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:57:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Seems like a really bad idea to me, but special snowflakes only think the fda and red cross are being mean and descriminating.

petition to remove ban on gays donating
View Quote

Well a petition seems like a great way to set public health policy.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:57:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Let them donate their blood straight to the trash can.  But enforcement is impossible.  Not like we have Gay detectors.  Besides the completely mental ones, that is.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:58:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Anyone seen recent data on infectious diseases in gay men?
I know that a lot of them are really complete whores (?) who think nothing of pulling a train on a Saturday night.
AIDS testing has got better but Hep C, Syphilis and God knows what else are out there, contaminated blood does not mean HIV only.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:58:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Why not let fag junkies donate, too???
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:00:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I know that a lot of them are really complete whores (?) who think nothing of pulling a train on a Saturday night.
AIDS testing has got better but Hep C, Syphilis and God knows what else are out there, contaminated blood does not mean HIV only.
View Quote

Signal & Noise, book by Nate Silver, had an interesting bit of data on that.  Fear of HIV led to a drop in promiscuity.  It seems, however, that gay men have started hooking up based on HIV status.  So positives will look for other positives, and negatives for negatives.  The spread of HIV drops, but other STDs are unaffected.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:00:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Put their donated blood in jars marked "Gay Blood - for Gays Only".

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:01:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
How about, NO!
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:01:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Why can't they mark that blood?  I would not want it.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:02:43 AM EDT
[#36]
This makes no sense... Lesbian Gay or Male Gay? Don't they already ask something about kinds of sexual activity?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:02:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Signal & Noise, book by Nate Silver, had an interesting bit of data on that.  Fear of HIV led to a drop in promiscuity.  It seems, however, that gay men have started hooking up based on HIV status.  So positives will look for other positives, and negatives for negatives.  The spread of HIV drops, but other STDs are unaffected.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's dating sites specifically for AIDS infected people.  I think one is called Positive Singles or something?

The whole concept weirds me the fuck out.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:03:00 AM EDT
[#38]
You receive gay blood and you will TURN.  

Don't let'em bite you either….it's just like zombies.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:03:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Why cant they donate? I dont get it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:04:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Or, they could just...I don't know...lie.

What a dumb "ban". I presume the blood is tested, given that some people...I don't know...lie.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:04:25 AM EDT
[#41]
I am very in favor of equal rights for people...heck I even am fine with gay marriage.  But donating blood, I've got problems with that.

If you look at the CDC stats for HIV/AIDS the very fast majority are gay/bi men.  The very vast majority of new infections are gay/bi men.  You couple this with the fact that time and time again these places that handle donated blood do a piss poor job of testing the blood and you've got a disaster waiting to happen.

I am completely in favor of preventing gays from donating blood.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:05:32 AM EDT
[#42]
I think it's supposed to be more about letting lots of dudes jizz in your butt hole.  I think anyone that does that would probably be a poor choice for a blood donor.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:05:57 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Why cant they donate? I dont get it.
View Quote

Red Cross uses at risk groups exclusion as a form of screening to protect the blood supply.

This may be outdated, I'm not sure.  Does homosexuality have a higher rate of infectious disease associated with it?  I know they did years back, not sure if that has changed.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:06:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ya, and IV drug users, men who frequent prostitutes, prostitutes, women who have sex w/ men that have sex w/ men, and people likely to be exposed to other blood born diseases due to geographical influences and vocational pursuits should be encouraged to "donate" as well.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:07:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Maybe we could come up with some kind of gay background check.  

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:08:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Why can't they mark that blood?  I would not want it.  
View Quote

If it was a matter of life or death, would you still not take it?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:09:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The problem with that is there are many strains of AIDS and the more strains that one has, the more difficult survival is.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:10:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:12:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:13:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Ya, and IV drug users, men who frequent prostitutes, prostitutes, women who have sex w/ men that have sex w/ men, and people likely to be exposed to other blood born diseases due to geographical influences and vocational pursuits should be encouraged to "donate" as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At one time those people were banned too.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top