BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:14:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You can't be "out and proud" if you are forced to lie.  Forced.  

Given the months-long period between HIV infection and testing positive, and given the numbers of homosexual men who are infected, this is a ridiculous notion.  Spread the misery--so typical these days.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Or, they could just...I don't know...lie.

What a dumb "ban". I presume the blood is tested, given that some people...I don't know...lie.

Given the months-long period between HIV infection and testing positive, and given the numbers of homosexual men who are infected, this is a ridiculous notion.  Spread the misery--so typical these days.  

I'm just saying - nobody at a Red Cross is going to know if you're "out and proud", unless you walk in and immediately start cutting hair and redecorating the place.

Ergo, I kind of hope they're testing the blood, instead of taking a donor's word for it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:15:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Only if the Gay blood is given to gay people.  It only makes sense.  The gays should be willing to except THEIR risky behavior by ONLY excepting donated gay blood.  OH, what's the matter, you're not afraid of YOUR own risky blood are you?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:15:22 AM EDT
[#3]
So it's not SOP to test all donated blood?

I never donated blood, so do they just make you pinky swear or something that you're clean?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:16:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:17:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:18:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Well a petition seems like a great way to set public health policy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seems like a really bad idea to me, but special snowflakes only think the fda and red cross are being mean and descriminating.

petition to remove ban on gays donating

#ACCEPTOURBLOODDONATION
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:18:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Maybe we could come up with some kind of gay background check.  

View Quote

Good luck closing the gay loophole. No closing that.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:19:47 AM EDT
[#8]
+1

Quoted:

ALL blood is tested before it is used.  The problem is the testing is (and can't be) 100%.  One can have the HIV virus in their blood and not test positive for several months.  Want some?  

The idea is people who donate tend to be honest and honorable.  There is no reason to want to donate so badly you would lie during the screening questions.  Hopefully.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What a dumb "ban". I presume the blood is tested, given that some people...I don't know...lie.

I'm just saying - nobody at a Red Cross is going to know if you're "out and proud", unless you walk in and immediately start cutting hair and redecorating the place.

Ergo, I kind of hope they're testing the blood, instead of taking a donor's word for it.

ALL blood is tested before it is used.  The problem is the testing is (and can't be) 100%.  One can have the HIV virus in their blood and not test positive for several months.  Want some?  

The idea is people who donate tend to be honest and honorable.  There is no reason to want to donate so badly you would lie during the screening questions.  Hopefully.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:24:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:25:55 AM EDT
[#10]
This is a conspiracy to turn everyone gay via blood

And it is just a bad idea.   It's not a matter of civil rights to recognize that homosexual males are at extreamly high risk of bloodbourne diseases.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:26:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:27:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You are mad at "special snowflakes" for wanting to make donations to the Red Cross?  

Oh the horror!  What charity will they demand to give to next?!
View Quote

yea, doc. stats are a pain, as is AIDS. so, just because you want disease in your blood does not mean I do. and the fact that "can't you just test for aids?" how about why can't IV drug users give blood? how about blood born disease folks giving blood? we can test for it, correct? how about diabetic folks giving blood? we can test for it. I just love that gays are just like everyone else. lifestyle choices have consequences. gay is a lifestyle with risks. why must they demand everyone else bless their choices?

did you know that blood banks don't like diabetics? well, we should demand they take our blood. it is not fair!

so, you get in a car accident and need some blood. IV drug users are donating blood. you want that? I guess your trust is greater than me.

blood is already expensive. to test for every known and unknown disease in every pint of blood so that a select group does not feel left out? now that is accommodation. what about law suits from giving bad blood and causing disease in an otherwise healthy person? naw, that would not happen.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:28:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You're a smart guy, Sub.

It's a statistics issue. Sure, they test blood. Tests are only X% effective. The more contaminated blood you put in the supply, the higher the chance is that infected blood will get through. Of the methods of HIV exposure that are out there, blood transfusion has the highest contraction rate out of all of them...which isn't surprising, really. There are other diseases of concern out there too which can condemn someone who is supposed to be getting life-saving treatment to something that can prove fatal or needlessly diminish their quality of life.

It's not worth the risk...and due to the lifestyle risks that come along with male homosexuality the RC asks them not to donate the same way they ask people who have spent X amount of time in certain countries or who have used IV drugs or who have gotten tattoos not to donate...because it makes the blood supply riskier.

The forces of political correctness, of course, will not tolerate any judgment on approved lifestyles...even when there's a solid medical and scientific basis to do so. Because fuck that little kid who needs a blood transfusion to survive, nobody is going to disapprove of my lifestyle in any way!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're a smart guy, Sub.

It's a statistics issue. Sure, they test blood. Tests are only X% effective. The more contaminated blood you put in the supply, the higher the chance is that infected blood will get through. Of the methods of HIV exposure that are out there, blood transfusion has the highest contraction rate out of all of them...which isn't surprising, really. There are other diseases of concern out there too which can condemn someone who is supposed to be getting life-saving treatment to something that can prove fatal or needlessly diminish their quality of life.

It's not worth the risk...and due to the lifestyle risks that come along with male homosexuality the RC asks them not to donate the same way they ask people who have spent X amount of time in certain countries or who have used IV drugs or who have gotten tattoos not to donate...because it makes the blood supply riskier.

The forces of political correctness, of course, will not tolerate any judgment on approved lifestyles...even when there's a solid medical and scientific basis to do so. Because fuck that little kid who needs a blood transfusion to survive, nobody is going to disapprove of my lifestyle in any way!

Yeah, I get it now. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:29:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

yea, doc. stats are a pain, as is AIDS. so, just because you want disease in your blood does not mean I do. and the fact that "can't you just test for aids?" how about why can't IV drug users give blood? how about blood born disease folks giving blood? we can test for it, correct? how about diabetic folks giving blood? we can test for it. I just love that gays are just like everyone else. lifestyle choices have consequences. gay is a lifestyle with risks. why must they demand everyone else bless their choices?

did you know that blood banks don't like diabetics? well, we should demand they take our blood. it is not fair!

so, you get in a car accident and need some blood. IV drug users are donating blood. you want that? I guess your trust is greater than me.

blood is already expensive. to test for every known and unknown disease in every pint of blood so that a select group does not feel left out? now that is accommodation. what about law suits from giving bad blood and causing disease in an otherwise healthy person? naw, that would not happen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You are mad at "special snowflakes" for wanting to make donations to the Red Cross?  

How's this?  Make the ban on receptive promiscuous sex rather than on being gay?  A pair of married gays are no more likely to have aids than anyone else.  A hooker in sub saharan Africa though...........
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:30:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Why cant they donate? I dont get it.
View Quote

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/risk/gender/msm/facts/index.html

Get it now?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:30:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo.

They're just pissed they they are being fingered for the perverts that they are. The rate of AIDS among them is sky-high compared to normal people, and it's INCREASING.

So no, thanks. Other folks are also excluded, and for damned good reasons.

You wanna bone other men in the cornhole (or vice-versa)? Go right ahead, but your behavior has consequences you need to live with.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:31:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seems like a really bad idea to me, but special snowflakes only think the fda and red cross are being mean and descriminating.

petition to remove ban on gays donating

People feelings are at stake; don't you even care?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:32:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Dem AIDS
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:32:30 AM EDT
[#19]
All higher risk populations should be banned.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:34:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You're a smart guy, Sub.

It's not worth the risk...and due to the lifestyle risks that come along with male homosexuality the RC asks them not to donate the same way they ask people who have spent X amount of time in certain countries or who have used IV drugs or who have gotten tattoos not to donate...because it makes the blood supply riskier. Even with the bans in place and the screenings currently done, every year a few people contract HIV (or other diseases) from blood transfusions. Doing things that will increase that number of people is fucking evil.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're a smart guy, Sub.

It's not worth the risk...and due to the lifestyle risks that come along with male homosexuality the RC asks them not to donate the same way they ask people who have spent X amount of time in certain countries or who have used IV drugs or who have gotten tattoos not to donate...because it makes the blood supply riskier. Even with the bans in place and the screenings currently done, every year a few people contract HIV (or other diseases) from blood transfusions. Doing things that will increase that number of people is fucking evil.

If he needs the blood to survive and the only available donor was gay would you turn down the small risk of disease or just let him go ahead and die with no blood at all?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:34:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:34:43 AM EDT
[#22]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get it now?

Still dont get it. Straight people can get AIDS also. Should we only take blood from Virgin children? Iam cool if that ends up being the case.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:35:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:35:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
All higher risk populations should be banned.
View Quote

They pretty much are. Hell, if you got a tattoo within a certain time frame you can't donate.

I can't donate because I spent most of the 80's in Europe, 20+ years later, I might have teh mad cow.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:37:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:38:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've never donated blood so I don't know how it works, but can't they just say they aren't gay?
View Quote

That's not the point they are trying to make, it's not about the act of donating blood at all.

"I'm gay, I'm proud, I donated blood, and I'm normal like everyone else in every way" .....that's the point behind this bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:40:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:41:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:42:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Still dont get it. Straight people can get AIDS also. Should we only take blood from Virgin children? Iam cool if that ends up being the case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get it now?

Gays are a statistically small portion of the population that have an insanely high amount of diseases. The mathematical increase in risk isn't worth the benefit.

Here, I'll simplify it for you. Would you increase the blood supply by 10%, and be willing to accept a 100% increase in contamination?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:43:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

How's this?  Make the ban on receptive promiscuous sex rather than on being gay?  A pair of married gays are no more likely to have aids than anyone else.  A hooker in sub saharan Africa though...........
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes they are

Guys should have the freedom to fuck whoever they want

But they take the risks with it.

So do heteros that take part in highly sexual lifestyles, but the gay population really is dirty and risky in terms of pure statistical fact.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:43:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

If he needs the blood to survive and the only available donor was gay would you turn down the small risk of disease or just let him go ahead and die with no blood at all?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're a smart guy, Sub.

But thats not the case.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:44:32 AM EDT
[#32]
I don't want any fag blood. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:47:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The problem with that is there are many strains of AIDS and the more strains that one has, the more difficult survival is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone seen recent data on infectious diseases in gay men?
I know that a lot of them are really complete whores (?) who think nothing of pulling a train on a Saturday night.
AIDS testing has got better but Hep C, Syphilis and God knows what else are out there, contaminated blood does not mean HIV only.

Signal & Noise, book by Nate Silver, had an interesting bit of data on that.  Fear of HIV led to a drop in promiscuity.  It seems, however, that gay men have started hooking up based on HIV status.  So positives will look for other positives, and negatives for negatives.  The spread of HIV drops, but other STDs are unaffected.

The problem with that is there are many strains of AIDS and the more strains that one has, the more difficult survival is.

You are glad aids kills them?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:48:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I don't want any fag blood. Thanks.
View Quote

Might want to edit
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:49:59 AM EDT
[#35]
I've been banned from donating blood ( O negative) on account of having lived in Europe during the 1990s and eating meat (mad cow disease scare).

It's their rules, so I'm fine with it. But would I demand that they take my blood? No. If they don't want it, I don't want to give it.

So what's this really about if not once again demanding to be treated 'equally' even though they're NOT equal as in 'identical'.... they intentionally expose themselves to pathogens that can kill and have no cure. But then want to be treated as one of the guys?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:50:32 AM EDT
[#36]
New HIV Cases for 2010

The MSM/Red denotes Men who have Sex with Men.  So either gay or bi.

That year there were an estimated 38,000 new HIV infections among men in the United States. Seventy-eight percent (29,800) of these were among MSM(Gay/Bi).

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:50:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:50:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IF being the keyword in your hypothetical statement.  IF the kid needs the blood and the only available doner was gay then most sane people would take the blood and hope for the best.  However, there are many available doners that are not gay.  In fact, most would-be doners are not gay.

So, if you have a choice to give the little kid blood from a large body of doners from low-risk categories, or blood from a very slightly larger body of doners from low-to-high risk categories, which do you choose?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:51:23 AM EDT
[#39]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Still dont get it.

Math is hard.

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/statistics/basics/

snip

I always heard math was for faggots.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:51:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
New HIV Cases for 2010
http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/images/web/msm_hiv_cases_graph_2014.jpg

The MSM/Red denotes Men who have Sex with Men.  So either gay or bi.

That year there were an estimated 38,000 new HIV infections among men in the United States. Seventy-eight percent (29,800) of these were among MSM(Gay/Bi).

View Quote

The other 18% won't admit to their gay activities
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:51:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:52:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Financial donations are one thing.  Bodily fluid donations are completely different.

If you have a problem with this ... ask Arthur Ashe and Isaac Asimov what the downside of this can be.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:52:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

But many probably don't lie. I do t think anyone is under the impression that it's foolproof. It's about minimizing risk.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:54:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Same reason they don't let people who lived in Scotland during a certain time period donate blood.  Which, if I recall correctly, has a lower chance of contaminating the blood supply that a gay donation of blood would.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is blood from gay people untestable for diseases or are you all afraid of transferring the gay?

Considering gay people only make up 1.6% of the population it simply isn't worth the higher risk of contaminating the supply. Cost-benefit and all that.

Same reason they don't let people who lived in Scotland during a certain time period donate blood.  Which, if I recall correctly, has a lower chance of contaminating the blood supply that a gay donation of blood would.

It's expanded from Scotland to Europe.  I used to give blood, then they changed it to encompass my time in Germany.

TXL
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:54:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Anyone seen recent data on infectious diseases in gay men?
I know that a lot of them are really complete whores (?) who think nothing of pulling a train on a Saturday night.
AIDS testing has got better but Hep C, Syphilis and God knows what else are out there, contaminated blood does not mean HIV only.
View Quote

You'd be surprised how many straight folks are walking incubators.  , A gay man or woman in a relationship for 10 years is less likely to be a carrier, than the 23 yr old, college student. By a long shot.
Maybe we need to ask if they're a pedophile before donating. Who the hell knows what shit they've gotten in to.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:54:33 AM EDT
[#46]

i hope i don't ever need blood, i do not want the aids.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:54:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

But many probably don't lie. I do t think anyone is under the impression that it's foolproof. It's about minimizing risk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sadly yes.  I know one man who donated anyway, despite his at-risk sexual practices.

We've reached a sad low when people put their egos above the lives of others
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:56:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They do test rather than just taking the word. But fewer contaminated donations means less chance for mistakes to occur. Risk mitigation is multi-tiered.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:57:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
lol

But inkies ARE allowed to donate blood?  
View Quote

6 months after their last tattoo. AND or (depending on location) A document from the Tattoo Studio outlining how their universal precautions, Autoclave test logs etc.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:58:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top