Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/22/2014 7:11:43 PM EDT
So I'm selling an old motorcycle on Craigslist.  I posted pics and in my ad I specifically state:

year
make
model
mileage
color
condition
inspection status (passed)
title status (clear)
no trades
cash only
price

People call and have asked literally everything covered above.  Then they offer half the price or try to trade me for stuff I have no use for, no expressed interest in and wouldn't be able to use anyway - like wheels & a bucket for a Bobcat.

Oh, and people think it's cool to call at 1:43 a.m.  Who does that?

It's been years since I've sold a bike and it was when there really wasn't a Craigslist.  I don't remember this level of ridiculousness with an ad in the paper.  Anyone else have similar experiences?

(Note: at least no one's tried to rob me yet like they did to a guy in KC)

----------  Update 7/23/14  ----------

Based on replies in this thread, I've gone ahead and changed my contact info to only e-mail replies through Craigslist.  Thanks guys.

I'm glad some of you have had good experiences.  LOL at those who've shared some of their stories.

I don't believe the bike is overpriced.  In fact, if you look at the ads in my area, there's almost no bikes available at my price point that:

- are actual motorcycles, not mopeds
- run
- have a title

Even in a larger metro area about an hour from me, the bike appears to be a good deal and affordable when compared to the other ads.  I guess if that's the general consensus then I'll just keep it.

Since I can't post a link to it, the bike is a 1982 Kawasaki KZ750 LTD (black) w/ 14,000 miles that I listed for $900.

---------- Update 7/26/14 ----------

So I finally had someone that took the time to call, ask about the bike and then actually show as scheduled.  He started picking apart every single thing talking about how "rough" it was and how it had been "left out in the weather too long."  He said he'd driven 3 hours and had brought a trailer so I'm sure he had good intentions, but expecting a 32 year-old motorcycle advertised as "good" not to have any scratches, chipped paint, rust or oxidation is a little much.

Based on advice from members in this thread, I upped the price and made replies only by e-mail a few days ago.  Not one e-mail since I raised the price....

---------- Update 7/29/14 ----------

Sold!

Really cool guy came on time, got his discount and took it for $750.

*it is not ok to contact this user with any other unsolicited offers*

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:13:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, many tirekickers. I rarely sell there anymore, but I got pretty good at weeding out the bullshitters.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:16:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a large, heavy computer desk to give away before I moved six years ago. It was FREE. I just wanted to be rid of it. The replies were full of derp and some were barely understandable. I lived in a second floor apartment up a steep flight of stairs. I made it clear that two people were needed to move the desk down, that I would be unable to help, and that an SUV/van/pickup was needed.

I finally made my selection of recipient by their email having decent grammar and spelling and being understandable. I told the couple why I chose them and we had a good laugh.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#3]
My experience has been good so far. Sold several items with good results. Always protect yourself and ask questions of the potential buyer to see if they have knowledge of the item or its features to see if they really are interested or just looking to scam you.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I've sold a few guns on Backpage with no hassles.

Bought a bike on Craigs List yesterday.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:19:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I put disclaimers in my online ads.  You wouldn't think it would work, but it does.

No bullshit.  No tirekickers.  Cash only.  What trades I would consider.  No tapco fucked SKS or other junk.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:19:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had a derpy run-in or two, but overall pretty good experiences.

Of course, I don't live in Florida soooo there's that.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:20:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I've sold several things, video games, iphones, and even a car. Contact is through email first and then if I don't get a scam/rob vibe the conversation move on to phone via google voice. Anything over the value of a used game I meet with the buyer in a public location with someone else and we both are armed.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:20:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I sold an RX-7 on craigslist. No one asked me any stupid questions, and one guy even called me to let me know that I had some of the information wrong(I forgot what trim package it was)
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:22:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I sold an RX-7 on craigslist. No one asked me any stupid questions, and one guy even called me to let me know that I had some of the information wrong(I forgot what trim package it was)
View Quote

Rx-7 attracts a different market.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:22:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Fine I'll sell the bucket to somebody else then.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:23:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess so. Love your avatar.

I wish I would have kept it
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:24:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Sold 2 motorcyles and get pretty much the same thing you experienced.

Biggest mistake I made on one of them is kid comes by and says he'll buy it but will pick it up later in the week but didn't take a deposit or anything.

Well the kid flaked out and by that time I had told a few potentials it was sold. Probably cost me an additional week in selling the thing.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:25:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Sold my xbox on cragilist.  Clearly, repeatedly said to text or email only and to not call.  I must have put do not call in there 3 three times, in caps.

Ring ring - "Hey will you take 50 bucks for the" <click>

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:25:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I attempted to sell a washer/dryer.  

Never again.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:26:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Fine I'll sell the bucket to somebody else then.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:33:35 PM EDT
[#16]
You'll have better luck on local classified FB pages.  Post your items and then just ignore the stupid posts that follow.  Only reply to the ones that seem legit.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:37:06 PM EDT
[#17]
My company has an internet classified message board for employees for selling stuff.  No one ever posts the price for some reason.  Big long descriptive post, first reply is always "How much?"
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:45:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sometimes.

I eventually sold mine, but had a load of retards before the sale.
Listed it as a non-running project car, had at least a dozen idiots asking "So it runs, right? I can drive it home?"..

And the trades.  Pitbull puppies, 22" wheels for vehicles I do not nor will ever own, weed, etc.. It clearly said "Cash Only, Clear title".
Even had variations of people telling me "I'll give you $250.00, that is the best you'll get for that car "(Sold it for $25.00 less than asking).
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:51:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Do you want to trade the bike for some frozen imitation crab meat? We can meet in my basement and play with my toy trains. Mutual touching is ok, but no gay stuff.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:52:21 PM EDT
[#20]
I currently have an ad on there for a motorcycle I wanted to sell.  Same story,  no one reads the ad details, make offers and never show up with agreed upon price, and generally just waste my time.  

I decided to just keep it and save on my school commute some more.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:04:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I currently have an ad on there for a motorcycle I wanted to sell.  Same story,  no one reads the ad details, make offers and never show up with agreed upon price, and generally just waste my time.  

I decided to just keep it and save on my school commute some more.

View Quote

I'm thinking I might keep it as well....

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:46:13 PM EDT
[#22]
I sold a 2.3 hp outboard on CL a few days ago.. Dude showed up. I fired it up in a bucket, gave me cash and was gone in less than 15mins..
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:53:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Sold some 8 on 6.5 rims and tires some time back.
The questions were full on derp.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:54:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Sold a house in 2005 and another in 2009.  The first one a lady paid cash for the house for her sister, she owned a sex toy manufacturing company and the check had a dildo icon on it. Took it down to the bank and it cleared. Took all of 5 days from the time I put it on craigslist till the check cleared.

The second time it took about two weeks and I had about 5 people look at it and it sold and they paid $3k over asking price.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:59:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Sold some 8 on 6.5 rims and tires some time back.
The questions were full on derp.
View Quote

Man, I've been looking for some! That bolt pattern is like hen's teeth around here.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:00:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Helo.

Is it stil availalbe?

Thank
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:01:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Helo.

Is it stil availalbe?

Thank
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:12:12 PM EDT
[#28]
get a throw away phone number from google and use it in the ad.   what you experience is what happens when you sell stuff yourself.   Its why you get less for trading it in.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:24:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:28:04 PM EDT
[#30]
So you think he will help me build my cinder block shed or no?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:37:32 PM EDT
[#31]
So what you're telling me is you're not interested in my Hi Point 45 and crossbow for your Sig 226? Well screw you, man.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:02:46 AM EDT
[#32]
The "Craigslist Experience" says a lot about the state of the country out there today.  Damned scary.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:04:03 AM EDT
[#33]
I've sold a CJ5 and an S10 on CL.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:14:35 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

So I'm selling an old motorcycle on Craigslist.  I posted pics and in my ad I specifically state:

year

make

model

mileage

color

condition

title status (clear)

no trades

cash only

price

People call and have asked literally everything covered above.  Then they offer half the price or try to trade me for stuff I have no use for, no expressed interest in and wouldn't be able to use anyway - like wheels & a bucket for a Bobcat.

It's been years since I've sold a bike and it was when there really wasn't a Craigslist.  I don't remember this level of ridiculousness with an ad in the paper.  Anyone else have similar experiences?

View Quote
Why on earth did you provide a personal cell phone number?

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:14:50 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Sold 2 motorcyles and get pretty much the same thing you experienced.

View Quote

Biggest mistake I made on one of them is kid comes by and says he'll buy it but will pick it up later in the week but didn't take a deposit or anything.

Well the kid flaked out and by that time I had told a few potentials it was sold. Probably cost me an additional week in selling the thing.

I hold items for no one unless they give me a deposit.  The number of people who come to look at a car and say they'll come back later is astonishing.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:15:40 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

year

make

model

mileage

color

condition

title status (clear)

no trades

cash only

price

I do.  I've never had any problems.  It beats playing e-mail tag for a week and it weeds out the scammers.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:19:46 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

For sure.

What bothers me is when someone is selling a car that is "niche" like the RX-7 would be, but the seller isn't aware of it.

They tend to leave out incredibly important information, which drives me nuts.  What's worse is when I contact them, they don't know, and apparently don't know how to find out.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:21:54 AM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:24:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So what you're telling me is you're not interested in my Hi Point 45 and crossbow for your Sig 226? Well screw you, man.
View Quote

I'll trade you a cattle gate and a xylophone for your Hi Point 45 and crossbow.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:55:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Got a trashcan of Styrofoam peanuts

You can have 'em for free

You can drop by on the weekend

And pick 'em up from me

But the trashcan ain't part of the deal

Only givin' you the peanuts, get real!

Don't have no Hefty bag so bring your own,

Don't bug me with questions on the phone

Don't ask for help, don't waste my time

And don't complain, 'cause they won't cost you a dime
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:01:49 AM EDT
[#41]
I've sold all kinds of things on Craigslist and the transactions have always gone very smooth (knock on wood).  And I don't put any sort of disclaimers.

I've sold:
Cadillac
Dodge truck
old carburetor
dresser/chest
animal trap
Trans Am wheels
KLX650 motorcycle
etc.

I might have gotten a dozen or so goofy emails out of all those sales.  It must be because of where you guys live.  All these sales were in AL & GA - the land of sophisticates!  

Oh yeah, I bought a used motorcycle from a guy in California off craigslist.  Only saw 2 small pics but he sounded legit on the phone.  Shipped it to GA and it was perfect just as he described.  That could have been an expensive mistake.  Wife always tells me I am incredibly lucky and should buy lottery tickets.

ETA:  I never provide a phone number.  Email only at first.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:05:00 AM EDT
[#42]

I put a Kayak for sale on CL....A guy asked if he could fill it up with water to check for leaks. I told him sure....Just bring your own water.

He was a good sport about it when he realized how much water it would take to fill it up. I think he bought it out of embarrassment.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:06:33 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Oh yeah, I bought a used motorcycle from a guy in California off craigslist.  Only saw 2 small pics but he sounded legit on the phone.  Shipped it to GA and it was perfect just as he described.  That could have been an expensive mistake.  Wife always tells me I am incredibly lucky and should buy lottery tickets.  

View Quote

That was extremely brave and/or stupid.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:13:41 AM EDT
[#44]
I buy and sell a fair amount.  Some people are retarded.  Next time use a Google voice number.  I hate the ones that email you asking if it is still available.  They are the dumbest fucking people alive.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:14:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brave or stupid?  I prefer naive!    Bike cost $12,500 and shipping was around $700.  I felt really confident after talking to him and just went with my judgement.  But yeah, if anybody else told me they did that I would tell them they were nuts!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:17:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I buy and sell a fair amount.  Some people are retarded.  Next time use a Google voice number.  I hate the ones that email you asking if it is still available. They are the dumbest fucking people alive.
View Quote

You mean craigslist sellers who are too dumb to delete their ad after an item is sold?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:19:33 AM EDT
[#47]
If you've ever read YouTube/yahoo comments, those are the people you meet on Craigslist.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:22:32 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Brave or stupid?  I prefer naive!    Bike cost $12,500 and shipping was around $700.  I felt really confident after talking to him and just went with my judgement.  But yeah, if anybody else told me they did that I would tell them they were nuts!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How did you transfer the money without worrying you'd never see the bike?

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:29:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mailed him a cashiers check.  And yes, I thought about it carefully first, knowing full well that I was taking a huge risk.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:34:38 AM EDT
[#50]
I only ever auction my stuff of and dont communiocate much.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top