Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 10:52:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Once had everything I owned in my Chevy S-10 (with a hard shell) and slept on various friends couches for about 2 months.  I was right out of college with a BS in Aerospace and no job.  I had $200 cash and a credit card and a full tank of gas.  I ended up going to grad school (research and other jobs helped path for it) but had to borrow money from my parents to put a deposit on an apartment.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 10:53:54 AM EDT
[#2]

Thank God, no.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 10:56:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank God, not even remotely close to homeless, ever.

Heck, my dad was never unemployed, nor have I ever been.

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 10:59:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Yup

As a kid too .
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 11:47:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks for the link, that was an interesting read.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
As I recall there was an arfcom member who posted a detailed thread about his life as a homeless person in his youth. It was very interesting. It was also years ago, and I don't know what terms to use for an archive search.

I remember that but don't remember the name either.
One of the most interesting 'ask a guy' threads.  Unfortunately it got locked because there were 'too many' ask a guy threads at the time.  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1238908_Ask_someone_who_lived_on_the_street_for_years_anything_.html

Thanks for the link, that was an interesting read.

That was a good read.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 12:04:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Kind of. I was transferred to MCAGCC 29 Palms CA and refused to take my family there. They wouldn't give me a room in the barracks as the policy then was you were to bring your family, and not bringing them was frowned upon.
I had all my gear, uniforms, etc. in my truck and slept in the cab for over three months. I would hang out at the base library until they kicked me out at night, and then find a parking lot, throw a sheet over myself and sleep. Showered at the gym and then go to work. Repeat. Once a week I would get a sandwich from Subway as all my income was funneled towards my wife and kids. Now I can't stand canned tuna, dry ramen, or certain crackers as that is what I lived on. I finally was able to get a room in the barracks that I had to pay for.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 1:20:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nope.
I have never been a low person.
View Quote

I'll take a Humble but Honest Poor Person, over.......

A Arrogant Person with Money, walking around with his nose in the air, thinking their poop don't stink like everyone else........

There were a couple of times when I was younger that my home was a tent during the good weather.....

Didn't consider myself homeless, then my last couple of years in the Army, we spent more time in the field, than in Garrison......
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 1:29:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Fortunately no.  Went from my parents house to apartments to my house.

There were lots of times when I wondered how I would pay other bills, but a place to live was always my first priority.

eta: "my first priority" meaning I always paid my rent no matter what. To be honest I would have never been homeless anyway because I could have always moved back in with my parents if things got really bad, but that was the very last things I wanted to do.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 2:08:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Nope.

View Quote

If only you knew how untrue that is.

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 2:13:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Nope.
View Quote

Dang man, you do realize becoming homeless can happen to anyone right and although most instances is due to personal choices there are exceptions such as job loss, medical bills, and natural disasters.

I have never been even remotely homeless but I'm smart enough to realize it could happen to anyone
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 2:27:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Nope.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 3:06:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I had a very similar thing happen to me when I was 16 (which I touched on earlier in the thread), my mom had a neurological disorder that left her speechless and bedridden for a year, then it relapsed later in my early 20's. She couldn't work and it was just me and her so I was kind of fucked.

We had a family friend who helped us get a lawyer to oversee her estate as executor and we sold the house and belongings to pay for her medical bills, but it left me with nowhere to live and no means to live.

I went to school during the day, and worked at a tire repair factory at night...did that until I graduated, stayed in friend's places here and there, stayed with my football coach in his laundry room my senior year...spent my summer and freshman year of college living in my car. I was super fortunate to get a scholarship to play football in Pennsylvania, but it was only partial so I had to still work and put myself through college, and worry about my mom (who wanted me to go and finish school). I got through college, but then she had another bout with it and I had to go back to work to help her out through that too.

I know how you felt tho, it was scary as hell and frustrating, I remember being lonely and very depressed through all of it...I'm not sure to this day how I got through it, I really don't.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not homeless but, I was 15 years old when my mom had kidney failure. I drove her to the emergency room, she was transported to a hospital  in Texas. I got a job at a pizza hut where I worked for one hour, I realized I just made $ 4.25 and at that rate I would either starve or lose our house.

I quit there and started hauling hay, splitting wood and worked in a mom and pops auto repair shop part time (while going to school). When my mom returned home (a year later) the bill's were paid and I managed to keep my grades decent.

Becoming homeless was a real possibility then, and it scared the shit out of me.  

At 15, you were scrappy enough to hustle and make enough money to stay current on the house and all the bills?  And you were also in school?

I don't think I could have done that.  Wow.

I was just a scared kid. Worried I was going to either lose my mom or let her down.

I had a very similar thing happen to me when I was 16 (which I touched on earlier in the thread), my mom had a neurological disorder that left her speechless and bedridden for a year, then it relapsed later in my early 20's. She couldn't work and it was just me and her so I was kind of fucked.

We had a family friend who helped us get a lawyer to oversee her estate as executor and we sold the house and belongings to pay for her medical bills, but it left me with nowhere to live and no means to live.

I went to school during the day, and worked at a tire repair factory at night...did that until I graduated, stayed in friend's places here and there, stayed with my football coach in his laundry room my senior year...spent my summer and freshman year of college living in my car. I was super fortunate to get a scholarship to play football in Pennsylvania, but it was only partial so I had to still work and put myself through college, and worry about my mom (who wanted me to go and finish school). I got through college, but then she had another bout with it and I had to go back to work to help her out through that too.

I know how you felt tho, it was scary as hell and frustrating, I remember being lonely and very depressed through all of it...I'm not sure to this day how I got through it, I really don't.

Thank you for sharing that.

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 3:27:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm seeing a trend here with Alaska and being homeless.

Been homeless for a few short stints due to the booze.  Threw away some good jobs.

I'm actually pretty successful when sober (past 7 years.)
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 4:35:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
After my mom kicked me out of the house I lived with two friends for a period of two weeks each (it destroyed my friendship with one of them).
After my second friend told me that I was no longer welcome I lived in my car in a local regional park for a couple of months.
Sleeping in a VW bug is something I would not willing do again.

I did have a job during the entire time I was homeless.
I spent the money I made on "other things" and not housing.

View Quote

Same experience. Cost me my best friend.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 4:36:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I am fortunate enough to say I haven't.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 4:47:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes.  I couldn't find a place that I could afford that would allow me to have my dog when I left my wife so a guy I knew said that I could sleep in his tool shed.  I spent Dcember of '01 huddled with my lab trying to keep warm next to the space heater that I used to keep warm. The guy let me run an extension cord from his house so I could stay warm.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 4:48:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Me and my 2 brothers were homeless multiple times as kids. We never realized it at the time though. My parents would always disguise it as a vacation to Ocean City (living in a tent at Asateague Island). So on and so forth. I was 12 at the time.

They had all kinds of excuses. But, they always gave us everything first, and settled for the scraps.

It sucked really bad at times, but, it made me into the man I am today.

I wouldn't change my upbringing for anything. I know a lot of people that had better and have ended up in worse circumstances.

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 4:50:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 4:54:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes, for about 8 months.. I had a car to sleep in, but I had to move around alot to avoid attention. Bumming showers off of friends got old real quick.
I was 17 YO at the time, no faimly for 2K plus miles, it was weak.. really weak.

But I got better
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 4:57:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Not homeless but, I was 15 years old when my mom had kidney failure. I drove her to the emergency room, she was transported to a hospital  in Texas. I got a job at a pizza hut where I worked for one hour, I realized I just made $ 4.25 and at that rate I would either starve or lose our house.

I quit there and started hauling hay, splitting wood and worked in a mom and pops auto repair shop part time (while going to school). When my mom returned home (a year later) the bill's were paid and I managed to keep my grades decent.

Becoming homeless was a real possibility then, and it scared the shit out of me.  

View Quote
Sounds like you and I have a lot in common.

It's amazing sometimes what the human spirit, and hard work can accomplish when left with no other choice.

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:03:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Nope.

View Quote
I guess being an ignorant shit bag is better.

Fuck You!!!

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:06:38 PM EDT
[#22]
When dollars got sticky I've had to stretch them by sleeping in the car for days or weeks, staying in 24 hour starbucks till early morning hours, grabbing some sleep in the car until sun comes out and it gets too hot, showers at the gym, the occasional night staying at a friend's house to give my feet a break, buy one get one free soup cans at Publix, stuff like that. At one point at about 18 y/o and pretty much a runaway my diet consisted of water and free ketchup packets from mcdonalds
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:09:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yes.

Nothing like being thrown out of your own house by your psycho (now ex) wife, and not knowing where you're going to sleep because you can't afford a hotel.

Still burns my ass.
View Quote

Been there dude. I vowed never to let it happen again.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:09:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Yep, slept in my truck on the river bank for a year and a half.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:11:04 PM EDT
[#25]
I have not.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:16:34 PM EDT
[#26]
yes.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:23:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
When dollars got sticky I've had to stretch them by sleeping in the car for days or weeks, staying in 24 hour starbucks till early morning hours, grabbing some sleep in the car until sun comes out and it gets too hot, showers at the gym, the occasional night staying at a friend's house to give my feet a break, buy one get one free soup cans at Publix, stuff like that. At one point at about 18 y/o and pretty much a runaway my diet consisted of water and free ketchup packets from mcdonalds
View Quote

Hot car sleep is worst sleep.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:45:04 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Add a hungry belly and we have a winner.

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:49:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both can make you wake up & go look for a job........
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:52:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Ahh, no. I can find work all day long for $10-$15 an hour. That means for 3-4 days' work I can get the $300 it takes to rent a room for a month. That is if I found myself on the street tomorrow. Homeless people are homeless because they want to be, they are criminals, or they are in baby jail/alimony jail.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:56:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Nope.
View Quote

But a dick you are
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 6:06:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

that's hard as shit Okie work drive there.
a mans' man at 15.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Nope.
View Quote

I beg to differ.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 6:13:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Nope. I have an extremely awesome group of friends and family members. They 100% supported me through the roughest time of my life.

Granted, I've put them up before at my place when they were going through bad times. You do what needs to be done for family and friends.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 6:31:30 PM EDT
[#35]
I was once so broke I lived on peanut butter and out of an old beat up camry, but that was by choice (vagabond who wanted to travel) and could have always stayed with parents/friends/family so not truly homeless. Now make ~ $200K a year
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 6:40:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Not by your definition, but technically yes. I was homes less for 3 weeks back in 05.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 7:02:22 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Ahh, no. I can find work all day long for $10-$15 an hour. That means for 3-4 days' work I can get the $300 it takes to rent a room for a month. That is if I found myself on the street tomorrow. Homeless people are homeless because they want to be, they are criminals, or they are in baby jail/alimony jail.
View Quote

Another sweeping, ignorant, judgmental and arrogant post that presumes the only thing making someone homeless is bad character. Appallingly near sighted thing to say, man.

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 7:24:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Have never been homeless, but it is a slight fear of mine for some reason.

I spent a month living out of a tent on a motorcycle trip, eating cheap cans of beans and beef stew.  It was fun, but there were a couple nights stuck in Idaho waiting for parts during a wind storm that showed me how shitty it could be.  Trees breaking and blowing down near my tent provoked me to pack up and head into town to find a safer place to sleep.  Got soaked by sprinklers while sleeping in a park, then had the cops called on me, and a couple freezing nights and mornings had me wandering a Walmart trying to stay warm and keep the cops off my back.

Obviously nothing like the stories in this thread.  Some of you are some tough dudes being homeless for so long and prevailing.  Congrats to you and Im glad you were able to get on your feet again.  The human spirit can be uplifting to hear about.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 7:25:08 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Another sweeping, ignorant, judgmental and arrogant post that presumes the only thing making someone homeless is bad character. Appallingly near sighted thing to say, man.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

GD always brings out the best of them.

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 7:29:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I hope your luck holds out.   I know a family making a lot more money than that who ended up homeless.   Being a little more humble might be prudent.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 7:30:14 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a niece who claims she was homeless from 16-21.  Lived in the park and such.  And this was in Montana.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 7:30:48 PM EDT
[#42]
yep  paid the AMT in 2007/8  lived in a 80's suburban in 2010

it involved poor life choices and a woman
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 7:31:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 7:33:23 PM EDT
[#44]
... Left home at the ripe age of 15

Never went back. Definitely some rough periods early on, but never without  roof.

Guardian angels watching over me every since.

Hopefully they don't give up on me on my later years.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 7:37:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Nope.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 7:43:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I was working Full Time (Still with the same employer for 21 years)

I'm not a criminal and I wasn't paying alimony

and I didn't want to be homeless, my house was almost paid off

But you keep thinking what you want

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was working Full Time (Still with the same employer for 21 years)

I'm not a criminal and I wasn't paying alimony

and I didn't want to be homeless, my house was almost paid off

But you keep thinking what you want

yep  worked 2 jobs busting my ass when i was urban car camping

my kids were in foster care ( taken from mom not me, but dad's have no rights that they don't fight for and that takes time )I would and did whatever it took to make sure they were ok
when your working 2 jobs at 8.50/hr and paying 2,300/month in child support that the state just takes ( while saying you can't have you kids back because of housing)
it wears on you

But I worked cleaning  out rail tank cars / construction / security / mowed lawns until I could make enough extra to get a rental house while being crushed by child support while my kids were in foster care bitter yep but in the end i laughed last

doing much better now

but yeah for a year i lived in a car
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 7:46:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Spent the month of August in a small wooded lot behind a convenience store with a homeless friend one year, even though I had a home to go to if I really wanted to.

That was more than enough for me!

All I can say of that experience is "Thank God for alcohol!"

Don't think I would have what it takes to handle it any other way.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 7:55:40 PM EDT
[#48]
I spent a couple of nights in French train stations once on the bench in a small town . Another night in Paris , slept on the bench until they found out I had no ticket and spent the night in front of the station in a cardboard box . Let me say the travel plans went astray for a few days .
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 11:52:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

What a fantastic son you are - I'll bet your mom was so proud of you when she came home!  
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 3:04:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

What a fantastic son you are - I'll bet your mom was so proud of you when she came home!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't the word's to tell you how reading this made me feel.........

Thank you.

Log out and log back in.    
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top