Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/23/2014 8:30:53 AM EDT
Until now I've only heard other people's horror stories about common core (like my co-worker telling me his daughters are in tears almost every night due to their ridiculous homework) but it didn't seem to have caught on at my kids' schools yet.

My 9 yo son is very smart, extremely good at math, writes computer programs, can do all kinds of math in his head when I test him with practical problems in the car, and is probably better at math than his older brother.  Not to mention, he actually cares a lot about his grades and always gets his homework done on his own (unlike older bro).

Lately he doesn't want to go to school because he says his teacher is "mean", and he doesn't know what he's supposed to do.  Turns out due to common core, instead of just getting the right answer being acceptable, the kids now have to get into groups and explain to each other how they got the answers.  My son is very shy and apparently doesn't "participate" enough for the teacher's liking, so she keeps him in at recess (he says "with his head down").  

Email from the teacher says "with all of the new Common Core Standards and Math Practices, he needs to be able to communicate, explain, discuss- math problems" and "in this situation, I needed him to follow directions, and he wasn’t".

What kind of school takes an arguably gifted kid who consistently tests very high and makes him feel like he's stupid and keeps him in from recess because he's shy... I've got an appt to talk to the teacher today after school.  

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:32:09 AM EDT
[#1]
My sister is an 8th grade teacher and she HATES common core probably as much as your son.

Homeschool or private school, maybe?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:36:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I know, let's throw more money at the problem!  That'll fix it!
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:41:35 AM EDT
[#3]
To answer your question... A Government school. They're just trying to make everyone equal, you know?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:42:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Im glad indiana put a stop to that crap
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:43:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Until now I've only heard other people's horror stories about common core (like my co-worker telling me his daughters are in tears almost every night due to their ridiculous homework) but it didn't seem to have caught on at my kids' schools yet.

My 9 yo son is very smart, extremely good at math, writes computer programs, can do all kinds of math in his head when I test him with practical problems in the car, and is probably better at math than his older brother.  Not to mention, he actually cares a lot about his grades and always gets his homework done on his own (unlike older bro).

Lately he doesn't want to go to school because he says his teacher is "mean", and he doesn't know what he's supposed to do.  Turns out due to common core, instead of just getting the right answer being acceptable, the kids now have to get into groups and explain to each other how they got the answers.  My son is very shy and apparently doesn't "participate" enough for the teacher's liking, so she keeps him in at recess (he says "with his head down").  

Email from the teacher says "with all of the new Common Core Standards and Math Practices, he needs to be able to communicate, explain, discuss- math problems" and "in this situation, I needed him to follow directions, and he wasn’t".

What kind of school takes an arguably gifted kid who consistently tests very high and makes him feel like he's stupid and keeps him in from recess because he's shy... I've got an appt to talk to the teacher today after school.  

View Quote

Bill Ayers communist and ghost writer for Obama ....the Annenberg Foundation....Common Core....Destruction of America.....
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:43:29 AM EDT
[#6]
All of these liberals programs, zero tolerance, common core, etc are designed to teach kids to vote Democrat
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:45:59 AM EDT
[#7]
shit they were doing that when I was in HS damn near 30yrs ago and I hated that shit,guess they came up with a new name for it

I can understand wanting to make sure kids are actually understanding it but if I can consistently give you the correct answer then I would suspect that I understand it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:47:29 AM EDT
[#8]
What kind of teacher even does that?  In what world does that make any sense?  He answers questions correctly, but wasn't the best at explaining his answer to others so were going to remove him from the learning process?  What a fuckwit.

This sounds like some garbage to help teach the kids whose parents are dumb/don't teach them anything at home, which of course drags any front-runners back to the middle of the pack.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:47:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm going to have to side with the teacher on this.  It has nothing to do with common core math.  Your kid might be book smart gifted but he is socially lacking.  That's how I was growing up.  Spending your teenage and college years being socially awkward is not a fun way to live.  I wish my parents and teachers would have forced me to be more outgoing and speak up.  It sounds like your son has a good grasp on the math skills anyway, time to focus on the social skills which are just as important.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:48:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm going to have to side with the teacher on this.  It has nothing to do with common core math.  Your kid might be book smart gifted but he is socially lacking.  That's how I was growing up.  Spending your teenage and college years being socially awkward is not a fun way to live.  I wish my parents and teachers would have forced me to be more outgoing and speak up.  It sounds like your son has a good grasp on the math skills anyway, time to focus on the social skills which are just as important.
View Quote

Again, how does making him sit alone fix either of these things?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:50:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

My ass.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:51:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Sounds horrible, OP.  They actually make him communicate with his classmates.  Oh the horror of pushing a child beyond their comfort zone.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:52:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

He definitely needs some social skills, but being punished as if you were disobedient is the same and punishing a kid for doing poorly on a test. It's demoralizing to him because he is trying his best but is being treated like a bad student. Social skills shouldn't even impact his grade in math.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:53:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Might as well get used to being forced deal with stupid people...
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:54:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

The battle cry of the teacher's unions, "(-Insert your state here-) is ranked 47th in the US for school spending! Panic! Panic!"

Not a word about what the money is being spent on...just that you're ranked 47th for spending it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:54:02 AM EDT
[#16]
In before Robot44 or whatever his name is.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:54:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My sister is an 8th grade teacher and she HATES common core probably as much as your son.

Homeschool or private school, maybe?
View Quote

And I have a friend who is a teacher/administrator and she personally loves it.  I think from what I have seen of my nieces homework its dumbest damn thing I have seen yet.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:54:32 AM EDT
[#18]
So, they want to make him a social outcast until he becomes more social?

Liberalism is a mental disorder.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:54:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

All in all he's now just another brick in the wall.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:54:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

He's forcing him to do a bullshit method of math, which is harming his learning and ability to do math. It's discouraging his effort, and will diminish his interest and understanding of the subject. The teacher can go get bent and so can common core.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:55:26 AM EDT
[#21]
There is no room for exceptionalism in this brave new America.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:55:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Sounds horrible, OP.  They actually make him communicate with his classmates.  Oh the horror of pushing a child beyond their comfort zone.
View Quote

And the punishment...
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:56:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What kind of teacher even does that?  In what world does that make any sense?  He answers questions correctly, but wasn't the best at explaining his answer to others so were going to remove him from the learning process?  What a fuckwit.

This sounds like some garbage to help teach the kids whose parents are dumb/don't teach them anything at home, which of course drags any front-runners back to the middle of the pack.
View Quote

This is about equality COMRADE.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:56:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What kind of school takes an arguably gifted kid who consistently tests very high and makes him feel like he's stupid and keeps him in from recess because he's shy...

View Quote

Every school trying to claw their way out of the pit of poor testing results. Schools where mediocre to poor teachers, trying to keep their heads down until they get tenure, make up the majority of the staff. Schools that don't care about the student as much as they care about the federal funding for their "every child gets an iPad" program.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:57:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Sounds like it's part teacher, mostly kid.

He's having no trouble with the math, but can't get along with his teacher.

That's partly on her for her methods (and those methods of punishing awkwardness by isolation is insane), but make no mistake, participating in class and being able to communicate and cooperate with other human beings is not an unreasonable skill to be learning.

You need to work this out with the teacher, but also do a better job getting your kid socialized and comfortable with being in a group environment. That's a life skill, one that starts at home.

(Fwiw, I have a kid very much like that, and we work on it with her constantly. I'm not unfamiliar with a kid that's a little socially awkward)

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:58:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Home school </thread>
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:59:00 AM EDT
[#27]
There was a girl I went to high school with who became a math teacher and moved out to CA. She was/is developing common core for her school. I asked her, nicely, a few questions on how it helps kids. I genuinely wanted to know how she thinks she is helping. Anyways, she just unfriended me on Facebook instead.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:59:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

no no no no no no .... tighter regulation and higher taxes... make it mo betta!
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:59:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Real simple solution really....just teach your son to talk down to everyone in the group in a condescending tone, and to call the rest of the kids stupid if they do not understand the problem. Essentially have him treat these groups like dirt.

The teacher will not be able to go anywhere with it, because A) he is following the directions of the class, and B) he is getting the correct answer.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:59:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:01:46 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
He definitely needs some social skills, but being punished as if you were disobedient is the same and punishing a kid for doing poorly on a test. It's demoralizing to him because he is trying his best but is being treated like a bad student. Social skills shouldn't even impact his grade in math.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's the argument that you need to have with the teacher then.  Come up with a plan with her on how change things.  I would throw a fit about him having to sit there with his head down.  If the issue is he isn't participating then he should be doing something that forces him to participate during that time.  In more advanced math explaining your work is important, so while it might not directly be needed now it is something that goes along with the subject of math.  I wouldn't hesitate to schedule a meeting with the teacher and discuss all aspects of it, as clearly what is happening now is not working.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:03:41 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Sounds like it's part teacher, mostly kid.

He's having no trouble with the math, but can't get along with his teacher.

That's partly on her for her methods (and those methods of punishing awkwardness by isolation is insane), but make no mistake, participating in class and being able to communicate and cooperate with other human beings is not an unreasonable skill to be learning.

You need to work this out with the teacher, but also do a better job getting your kid socialized and comfortable with being in a group environment. That's a life skill, one that starts at home.

(Fwiw, I have a kid very much like that, and we work on it with her constantly. I'm not unfamiliar with a kid that's a little socially awkward)  
View Quote

It will be interesting to see if you get better responses then I did for saying basically the same thing.  

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:04:48 AM EDT
[#33]
I think part of the teacher's frustration is that they don't understand it,
Or how to teach it.

And since she can't be wrong, your son suffers
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:05:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Remember it's for the children and the feels.

Funny how they believe by dumbing down the smarter kids they artificially elevate the dumb ones. I guess making the smart kids feel like shit for their bad grades and leaving them feeling confused they can say "everyone is now equal". Great fucking idea!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:06:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Taking the kid away from recess to spend time with his peers because he's not social s sort of counter-intuitive don't you think?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:09:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Most public schools suck for smart people. You constantly feel held back by the lowest common denominator. The teacher handled this in absolutely the wrong way - making someone a social outcast and limiting social interactions won't fix shyness or social withdrawal - it'll make it worse.

If your kid isn't being challenged intellectually, you either need to home school him or get him into some sort of science and math program where he can stretch his wings and fly.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:12:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

In an interview on NPR with one of the Common Core designers the guy let slip that the goal is to equalize outcomes (I don't remember the language verbatim).  He was very clear that having some kids drop behind their peers was unacceptable so they designed this with the goal of equalizing grades.  Since you can't make a kid who struggles get better grades without flat lying we'll just make the kids work in groups and issue a group grade.  Bonus points if we penalize the smart awkward kid for not being able to communicate what they know with the loud mouth dunce.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:14:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

why the fuck are you letting the State educate your child?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:14:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Your son is obviously gifted and probably a lot of fun to be around.  

All kids are different and they don't all mature in all aspects of life all at the same time - so what?  Your son sounds perfectly normal.

Get him out of government school before they drug him or socialize him into the ground.  

Home school and private school are your friends.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:15:51 AM EDT
[#40]
i would be in that teachers office pronto

i would say are his grades failing or having problems coming up with the answers?

if not

tell her to piss off very nicely
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:16:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

He creates work and won't get in line.

Don't ever think that most teachers are there for the kids. It is, at it's core, a job. They need to pass certain gates to get their ratings and your kid upsets that by not doing what he's told. She's got a box to check and your kid will check it even if she must break him.

Let me give you an example from the flip side. I went to a specialized state Math and Science school that anybody at any school could apply to go. Upon graduation (if you made it) you basically walked into a sea of scholarship money. We had kids who's original schools had attempted to sabotage their applications because if their smart kids left it was a negative impact to their overall scores.

It's not about the kids. It's about checking boxes so they get funded.

The easiest class for a teacher to teach is one where everybody is on the exact same level. And it's easier to push kids down to the LCD than it is to raise them up.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:17:39 AM EDT
[#42]
If and when I ever do have kids, it's shit like this that makes it 99% likely they will be homeschooled or sent to a good private school.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:17:44 AM EDT
[#43]
If you can't make the stupid kids smart, make the smart kids stupid.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:18:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Isn't recess the best place to build social skills though?

Teacher sounds incompetent, but your son is gonna have to learn to put up with the BS of academics now, he's still got a long way to go.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:19:44 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm puzzled by a few of the responses here.

It's a math class?! It's not a class to make the child a social butterfly.

And if you're not chatty enough in math class, we're going to punish you,  alienate you AND remove you from the most likely activity that would promote social interaction.

I suspect most great minds throughout the ages were social knit-wits. The world isn't one-size-fits-all and I do not look to public schools to provide anything more that the 3 Rs.

I will feed my children. I will look after their social well-being. I do not oppose physical education in school, but I will ensure my kids have it. If an educator has a concern about my child beyond academia, alert me and I will address the issue.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:21:14 AM EDT
[#46]
My wife is a teacher that this year, got handed CC and told to teach it. That was the extent of the training. It's different for both students and teachers alike. I'd bet if you asked, her training on how to do this was about the same. You think you and your son are frustrated, try listening about this every day from the other point of view. Believe me, you aren't the only one who is upset over this. We live 1/4 mile from the school she teaches at, but we drive 23.4 miles each way, every day, to take our daughter to a private school without CC. That say anything about this garbage?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:21:28 AM EDT
[#47]
I work 3 jobs to send my child to private school.

I pay for my kid, and I pay a butt-ton of taxes for the public schools.  To me it is the same as paying for jails.  I don't like it, but it is warehousing.

If you want you kid to go to public school, don't complain about the shitty education he is getting there.  It is an education system brought to you by the same people that run the DMV.  

Either prioritize your child's education, or don't.  But the idea of complaining about DMV education is silly.

It sucks, but that is the reality in 2014 America today.  We can sit around and pine away for "how it should be".  It isn't.  And it wont be during your child's time in school.  Those in charge of your child's shitty education are very well entrenched and are not leaving anytime soon.  You can leave, they will not.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:22:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Prior to Common Core coming online, we had something similar in Missouri.  I remember the meetings when everyone was getting excited about the first group of incoming freshmen that had been exposed to group work from the beginning.  Then they arrived.  I think it backfired.  The at-risk students (inner city and rural) performed worse than ever before.  For the first time in three decades (when the data started being collected), the summer program failed to elevate their outcomes to higher than average.  If you look at the data, there was a smooth trend.  The more group work they did before attendance at the university, the worse their performance during their freshman year.

The obvious problem is they are tested as individuals.  So, then there were discussions about group testing.  That's when I decided I was done with higher ed.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:23:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

He's forcing him to do a bullshit method of math, which is harming his learning and ability to do math. It's discouraging his effort, and will diminish his interest and understanding of the subject. The teacher can go get bent and so can common core.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, nothing like killing a love and passion for a favorite subject, so now he dreads it.

I went through similar things (not thanks to Common Core, just idiocy) when I was in school. Maybe I would have never been great at math, but I started as an okay student in math and then was transformed into someone who hated and dreaded math. Gee, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:24:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Pull them out of guvmint skoolz and put them in private school
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top