Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:24:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Fuck email.

Schedule an meeting with the teacher & principal to discuss your child's needs.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:26:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Wait a sec.  The teacher is PUNISHING a 9yo boy for NOT talking enough in MATH class when he's getting the answers RIGHT???????

You need to have a talk with the teacher and the school system about how to educate children.  If they think punishing him for his poor performance at communicating in math will teach him to communicate in math they need to go back to school.  

That fucking shit pot excuse for a "Teacher" needs to learn kids respond to POSITIVE stimuli in a situaiton like that.  She needs to draw him out and then reward him.  Over and over.  That's her motherfucking JOB.

God I fucking hate bureaucrats with teaching certs.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:27:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

He creates work and won't get in line.

Don't ever think that most teachers are there for the kids. It is, at it's core, a job. They need to pass certain gates to get their ratings and your kid upsets that by not doing what he's told. She's got a box to check and your kid will check it even if she must break him.

Let me give you an example from the flip side. I went to a specialized state Math and Science school that anybody at any school could apply to go. Upon graduation (if you made it) you basically walked into a sea of scholarship money. We had kids who's original schools had attempted to sabotage their applications because if their smart kids left it was a negative impact to their overall scores.

It's not about the kids. It's about checking boxes so they get funded.

The easiest class for a teacher to teach is one where everybody is on the exact same level. And it's easier to push kids down to the LCD than it is to raise them up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What kind of school takes an arguably gifted kid who consistently tests very high and makes him feel like he's stupid and keeps him in from recess because he's shy... I've got an appt to talk to the teacher today after school.  

He creates work and won't get in line.

Don't ever think that most teachers are there for the kids. It is, at it's core, a job. They need to pass certain gates to get their ratings and your kid upsets that by not doing what he's told. She's got a box to check and your kid will check it even if she must break him.

Let me give you an example from the flip side. I went to a specialized state Math and Science school that anybody at any school could apply to go. Upon graduation (if you made it) you basically walked into a sea of scholarship money. We had kids who's original schools had attempted to sabotage their applications because if their smart kids left it was a negative impact to their overall scores.

It's not about the kids. It's about checking boxes so they get funded.

The easiest class for a teacher to teach is one where everybody is on the exact same level. And it's easier to push kids down to the LCD than it is to raise them up.

YES. I talked to a high school student who had something similar to this happen to her. The school sabotaged her chance to get into a specialized school which would have been her dream, would have improved her future by so much. But the high school nixed it, because they needed her higher grade scores.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:33:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:33:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm going to have to side with the teacher on this.  It has nothing to do with common core math.  Your kid might be book smart gifted but he is socially lacking.  That's how I was growing up.  Spending your teenage and college years being socially awkward is not a fun way to live.  I wish my parents and teachers would have forced me to be more outgoing and speak up.  It sounds like your son has a good grasp on the math skills anyway, time to focus on the social skills which are just as important.
View Quote

You were a special little flower....
Why should OP's kid be forced to act like the others in his class?
As long as he shows up, behaves and does the work, fuck the system.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:35:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Email from the teacher says "with all of the new Common Core Standards and Math Practices, he needs to be able to communicate, explain, discuss- math problems" and "in this situation, I needed him to follow directions, and he wasn’t".

What kind of school takes an arguably gifted kid who consistently tests very high and makes him feel like he's stupid and keeps him in from recess because he's shy... I've got an appt to talk to the teacher today after school.  

View Quote

Stephen Hawking can glance at a whiteboard covered with equations and give you the answer. By this fucked up idiocy, he'd be held back.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:37:46 AM EDT
[#7]
You know, and I assume there will still be standardized testing a la No Chile Lef Behine, if I was a yoot whose teacher treated me like that I'd make priiiitty designs with the bubbles on the answer sheet. There's no downside to your grades and the bitches would pull their hair out if enough did it.

And the school would get a big ol' F from the State Dept. of Ed.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:41:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm going to have to side with the teacher on this.  It has nothing to do with common core math.  Your kid might be book smart gifted but he is socially lacking.  That's how I was growing up.  Spending your teenage and college years being socially awkward is not a fun way to live.  I wish my parents and teachers would have forced me to be more outgoing and speak up.  It sounds like your son has a good grasp on the math skills anyway, time to focus on the social skills which are just as important.
View Quote

Since when the fuck is it the schools job to teach my kid social skills....in a math class?

Teach my kid what you are supposed to teach, let me...THE PARENT, worry about how my kid socializes with other kids.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:41:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Until now I've only heard other people's horror stories about common core (like my co-worker telling me his daughters are in tears almost every night due to their ridiculous homework) but it didn't seem to have caught on at my kids' schools yet.

My 9 yo son is very smart, extremely good at math, writes computer programs, can do all kinds of math in his head when I test him with practical problems in the car, and is probably better at math than his older brother.  Not to mention, he actually cares a lot about his grades and always gets his homework done on his own (unlike older bro).

Lately he doesn't want to go to school because he says his teacher is "mean", and he doesn't know what he's supposed to do.  Turns out due to common core, instead of just getting the right answer being acceptable, the kids now have to get into groups and explain to each other how they got the answers.  My son is very shy and apparently doesn't "participate" enough for the teacher's liking, so she keeps him in at recess (he says "with his head down").  

Email from the teacher says "with all of the new Common Core Standards and Math Practices, he needs to be able to communicate, explain, discuss- math problems" and "in this situation, I needed him to follow directions, and he wasn’t".

View Quote

Atlas Shrugged is now being played out in schools. Hurray!

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:44:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I have two girls who are both EXCELLENT students,  both loved school,  both hate it now. My older daughter, who is the whiz of her class has gone from loving school and going early to now faking sick to miss it and being very discouraged because she says she doesn't understand a lot of it.

I'm not a common core expert or didn't even really care before the last few months, but seeing an instant, and marked change in my two daughters who are in school, has been shocking to me.    

I had an incident in grade school that traumatized me and it changed me from liking school to hating it. I never recovered and school became a horrendous grind after that, I'm seeing the same thing in my daughters and it's sucking.  we're considering switching them to charter schools or home school next year to try and turn it around.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:44:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The battle cry of the teacher's unions, "(-Insert your state here-) is ranked 47th in the US for school spending! Panic! Panic!"

Not a word about what the money is being spent on...just that you're ranked 47th for spending it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know, let's throw more money at the problem!  That'll fix it!

The battle cry of the teacher's unions, "(-Insert your state here-) is ranked 47th in the US for school spending! Panic! Panic!"

Not a word about what the money is being spent on...just that you're ranked 47th for spending it.

Actually we rank 2nd.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:45:06 AM EDT
[#12]
This is the world we live in now. My first kid will start school in just a few short years and I dread the bullshit they're going to feed him. Wife doesn't want to homeschool (those kids always end up so socially defunct, at least every one I've ever met) and the private schools around here have about 10 kids in a grade, not to mention being expensive and not having sports. So same difference pretty much.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:46:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Homeschool

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:47:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Im glad indiana put a stop to that crap
View Quote

Me too!

They confused the hell outta the kids and then they go back to the correct way.

Pisses me off cause I feel like it has hurt my kids progress.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:51:20 AM EDT
[#15]
The most difficult part about common core math is that parents (I am not one) also have to learn the methodology in order to support their kids schooling.

I have no knowledge of "place value understanding". I had to look this up.

It seems things take a turn around grade 2 & 3 and require specific understanding of the methodology used to "answer" simple math questions.

Parent Roadmaps to the Common Core Standards - Mathematics

ParentGuide_Math_3

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:51:32 AM EDT
[#16]
No Child Allowed Ahead. Thank your previous lord and savior GWBush
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:55:34 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Sounds horrible, OP.  They actually make him communicate with his classmates.  Oh the horror of pushing a child beyond their comfort zone.
View Quote

Yeah, 'cause everyone knows that's what math class is about:  socializing.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:00:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

He's forcing him to do a bullshit method of math, which is harming his learning and ability to do math. It's discouraging his effort, and will diminish his interest and understanding of the subject. The teacher can go get bent and so can common core.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's forcing him to do a bullshit method of math, which is harming his learning and ability to do math. It's discouraging his effort, and will diminish his interest and understanding of the subject. The teacher can go get bent and so can common core.

This, my 10yo's in the same boat. Looking at private schools for next year.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:01:05 AM EDT
[#19]
I'd never allow a child to enter the government school system.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:02:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Until now I've only heard other people's horror stories about common core (like my co-worker telling me his daughters are in tears almost every night due to their ridiculous homework) but it didn't seem to have caught on at my kids' schools yet.

My 9 yo son is very smart, extremely good at math, writes computer programs, can do all kinds of math in his head when I test him with practical problems in the car, and is probably better at math than his older brother.  Not to mention, he actually cares a lot about his grades and always gets his homework done on his own (unlike older bro).

Lately he doesn't want to go to school because he says his teacher is "mean", and he doesn't know what he's supposed to do.  Turns out due to common core, instead of just getting the right answer being acceptable, the kids now have to get into groups and explain to each other how they got the answers.  My son is very shy and apparently doesn't "participate" enough for the teacher's liking, so she keeps him in at recess (he says "with his head down").  

And a lot of GD supports it

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:10:09 AM EDT
[#21]
My wife is a teacher and I hear a lot about this.  She teaches virtual school so she doesn't have to deal with this horseshit yet.  When she tells me the new way of doing things I think she's fucking with me but she never is.  Now there's no subtraction, just addition in some fucked up way.  We refuse to send our kids to public school.  We are sending our son (3yrs) to Montessori and next year his sister (2yrs) will be joining him.  We're paying our credit cards off very slowly so we can send them there.  I don't care how smart or stupid your child is, common core will never do any good and I assume it'll get worse as time goes on.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:26:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Remind me again what happens when these kids are unleashed upon the real world?
Basic training?
Officer school?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:31:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I work 3 jobs to send my child to private school.

I pay for my kid, and I pay a butt-ton of taxes for the public schools.  To me it is the same as paying for jails.  I don't like it, but it is warehousing.

If you want you kid to go to public school, don't complain about the shitty education he is getting there.  It is an education system brought to you by the same people that run the DMV.  

Either prioritize your child's education, or don't.  But the idea of complaining about DMV education is silly.

It sucks, but that is the reality in 2014 America today.  We can sit around and pine away for "how it should be".  It isn't.  And it wont be during your child's time in school.  Those in charge of your child's shitty education are very well entrenched and are not leaving anytime soon.  You can leave, they will not.

View Quote

fucking this.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:44:44 AM EDT
[#24]
pretty sure there were shy kids before common core came about.

but it's still obviously part of the homomarxistmuslim agenda.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:47:48 AM EDT
[#25]
I'd be on that teacher like a tornado full of razor blades. That's why my 8-year-old is homeschooled; partly to protect him from the teachers, partly to protect the teachers from me

OP, find a copy of QUIET: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking, by Susan Cain.  Introverted people are physically wired differently from extroverts and forcing them into uncomfortable social situations is as painful as making someone with sensitive hearing sit in a small room with very loud music playing.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:54:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I disagree.  At some point all these kids come out of their shell and blossom.  For some its sooner, others much later.
Shyness is a protection mechanism for some children until they can finally handle it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:30:31 PM EDT
[#27]
GD = all public skool BAD
home school = GUD

Still Can't get out of basement or talk to a girl.

Education experts one and all.

Lulz.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:34:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds horrible, OP.  They actually make him communicate with his classmates.  Oh the horror of pushing a child beyond their comfort zone.

School is about many things, some of which is math, some of which is social interaction.  I know the OP's child is a snowflake and will undoubtedly lead the world to great things, but asking him to communicate with his classmates isn't the end of the world.

And I'm not defending every facet of common core education here, but getting riled up over asking a kid to speak a little in class?  Give me a fucking break.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:39:31 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Again, how does making him sit alone fix either of these things?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Again, how does making him sit alone fix either of these things?

I guess by teaching him that not following directions has consequence. If he wants to participate in 'recess' he has to participate in the lesson plan.

I really don't know much about common core, save for the fact that all the conservative talking points say it's horrible. I have heard that it develops critical reasoning skills and not just 'rote' learning processes.

Some people learn by 'reason' and some learn by 'rote'. The latter are usually lacking in critical analysis abilities. My understanding is common core is an attempt to address that issue....but again...I don't know many of the particulars.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:39:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

So making him stay inside, keep his head down on the desk, and have fewer interactions with other students is the best way to remedy that "problem?"
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:39:58 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote
I'm going to agree partly with this. The types of skills that this activity is trying to teach is very important in undergrad and grad school. I had to learn them on my own very quickly. I am now good at it, but was a hard adjustment.

And as for not having social skills, I would not have the post count I currently have if I had social skills.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:41:41 PM EDT
[#32]
One of the elements of CC is to get students to operate in the higher quadrants of intellectual operations. Those that don't know what those two levels involve take note:

Level Three:  Analyze/Synthesize
Level Four:  Create/Instruct

I don't know what the lesson was or the standards and tasks.  However, knowing about CC, the teacher probably assigned the following:

Solve this problem...show your work.
Explain why/how you came to this answer.
Collaborate and compare your process with your group.
Present your answer, as a group, to the class.

If the student refused to do any step of the assignment, he would be defiant.  That's where the punishment would come into play.  Now the teacher could be more lenient,  but since your legislators want to attach student performance to school funding and teacher pay or retention,  that teacher has a legal obligation to taxpayers to do his/her job (and if s/he wants to keep that job).

That's the reality that teachers, students, administrators and parents have to deal with if CC exists.

PS. Think about your schooling:  if you were assigned to do a report and present it, so you wrote an awesome report that is flawless but refuse to make a presentation,  do you expect full credit and no negative consequence?  How would something similar play out at your place of employment?  Sounds like GD has a case of the FSA entitlement bug.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:42:48 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I'm going to agree partly with this. The types of skills that this activity is trying to teach is very important in undergrad and grad school. I had to learn them on my own very quickly. I am now good at it, but was a hard adjustment.

And as for not having social skills, I would not have the post count I currently have if I had social skills.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Easy there, Newb.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:13:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Most public schools suck for smart people. You constantly feel held back by the lowest common denominator. The teacher handled this in absolutely the wrong way - making someone a social outcast and limiting social interactions won't fix shyness or social withdrawal - it'll make it worse.

If your kid isn't being challenged intellectually, you either need to home school him or get him into some sort of science and math program where he can stretch his wings and fly.
View Quote

Huh.  In the public schools I went to they had advanced classes from at least 4th grade onward.  What the fuck kind of podunk schools do you guys go to that all have the same courses for every student every years?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:18:27 PM EDT
[#35]
private school.

i know too expensive.

but it is my only suggestion.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:18:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
GD = all public skool BAD
home school = GUD

Still Can't get out of basement or talk to a girl.

Education experts one and all.

Lulz.
View Quote

Three members of my family are teachers, two private HS teachers with Masters, one college level with a PhD. Bio, English, and chemistry.

My mom, bio teacher, said she'd rather starve then ever work at a public school again.

My sister wouldn't have direct experience, as she was turned down for a HS job in favor of somebody who could afford the bribe (that teacher was recently declared not guilty by ARFCOM too)

ETA: my only teacher experience was being a TA at a state school and, well, fuck doing that ever again.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:46:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Homeschool

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

That's what we did, thru the 8th grade.  Then they went to the local high school, mainly for sports program access.  In hindsight, public school was a mistake, but they did fine.  Class ranks for our 3 were #6, #3 and #1 out of about 250.  I give their Mom 100% of the credit.  If you or your wife have the inclination, desire and patience, there is no better way to go.  And we did it starting about 20 years ago when homeschooling was considered pretty weird...
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:21:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

What you described isn't common core; it's "showing your work" and has been around for ages. Explaining how you did things shows you understand what you are doing. I had the same problem with my son over 20 years ago. His problem was that he just "saw the answer". When I asked him how he got an answer, he'd just ask, "Can't you see it?"

The group thing? I've always hated that. Maybe if he's shy the teacher will let him show him the work.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:33:22 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm going to have to side with the teacher on this. It has nothing to do with common core math. Your kid might be book smart gifted but he is socially lacking. That's how I was growing up. Spending your teenage and college years being socially awkward is not a fun way to live. I wish my parents and teachers would have forced me to be more outgoing and speak up. It sounds like your son has a good grasp on the math skills anyway, time to focus on the social skills which are just as important.
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:35:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Common Core was designed by the NEA to make teachers jobs easier, and by the Obama administration to push lefty topics.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:38:00 PM EDT
[#41]
But but but, the commercial I saw on TV says it isnt a government "program".

Id tell the teacher to pound sand.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:41:01 PM EDT
[#42]
How did our generation manage to fuck EVERYTHING up?  Seriously, everything is fucked.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:42:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Project much?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:47:42 PM EDT
[#44]
3 things here.

1. Common core sucks
2. Your kid doesnt seem like he has reasonable social skills for his age
3. Talk to him about it. Being able to get along with peers will get you farther in life than being good at math.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:58:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Sounds like shitty/lazy teachers using "peer instructors" to teach what they can't.
View Quote

No offense, but you know "jack shit" about teachers and peer instruction.

"Peer instruction"  is heavily pushed under common core.

In my state, teachers are formally evaluated twice per year (and multiple informal evaluations.)  These evaluations are a measure that you are complying to common core standards.  Peer instruction/ teacher-as-facilitator gains highest scores-- in the case of my state, a four (4).  Without demonstration of peer instruction/ teacher-as-facilitator, the most you can score is a three (3).

These evaluations depend on whether you will spend the next year of your life going to workshops to adjust you into doing peer instruction/ teacher-as-facilitator methods.  Ultimately, these evaluations can and will determine both your income and whether you remain employed.

But let's blame the one person that has absolutely no say in the policy decisions.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:01:02 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

The most difficult part about common core math is that parents (I am not one) also have to learn the methodology in order to support their kids schooling.

It seems things take a turn around grade 2 & 3 and require specific understanding of the methodology used to "answer" simple math questions.

ParentGuide_Math_3

View Quote

I am a mechanical engineer.  I owned and operated a company for twenty years.  

I just read the road map for third graders.

Every fucking teacher who allows that stupid shit to happen to kids needs to be fired and have a tatoo put on their forehead so that they can never again allowed to near a child.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:01:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your kids teacher wants your kid to teach the other children how to do the work; this will reduce your child's skill level while somewhat increasing the skill level of the other children. It makes his teachers job easier.

In other words, your kid just got hit with a smart tax, the goal is to make every one in the class equally stupid. This will suit your kid well in meeting common core's end goal, namely fitting him for the common labor pool. In work force terms, what your kid just experienced is called a "horizontal promotion".
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:04:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Every fucking teacher who allows that stupid shit to happen to kids needs to be fired and have a tatoo put on their forehead so that they can never again allowed to near a child.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ParentGuide_Math_3

Let me know when you burn your company to the ground.  Until then....
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:35:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Most retarded post of month?

Quoted:

My ass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My ass.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:38:54 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View Quote

Or he'll end up like my brother. Legitimate gift in math, but if you don't take his word for the solution to a problem then you'll just get a lecture about how stupid you are. When the boss has a ton of money riding on a project they like a little explanation to go along with the figures.

Guys can gripe about common core all they want, but most good teachers have been doing what is at the heart of CC for eons.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top