User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:45:41 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Two words:  SERPA and XD.
View Quote
Half guilty. Only because I had a level II laying around when I had to switched to owb because of Crohn's.  Only OC when I'm in a "don't give a fuck" mode and have to take out the trash. My upstairs apt neighbor's reaction was priceless. Otherwise it's a button up shirt of some kind thrown over and printing like a boss. But nobody ever notices. It's comfortable and people are oblivious so the serpa stays for the foreseeable future.

Flame on

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:52:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've used mine in the winter under a carhartt coat and under bibs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess I'm slow witted, but isn't saying "a serpa is a sign of open carry" the equivalent of saying "The surest sign that a guy has a credit card is that he has a credit card".

I mean, how the hell else are you going to carry a gun in a Serpa, other than OC?

I've used mine in the winter under a carhartt coat and under bibs.
I'm cc'ing one right now with an untucked button up. People give the general public WAAAAAAAAYYYYY  to much credit in the observation department.  Haven't been spotted yet. Even had a coworker run smack into it and not even blink

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:01:32 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
FIFY
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How to spot an anti open carry guy on a gun forum.....

They can't stop talking about open carry.how they disagree with others exercising their god-given rights because it scares them.

FIFY
this

like fucking little old ladies

I dont really like the serpa but it seems to work for guys that train with them

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:45:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Ah, the "if the military uses it, it's beyond reproach" tactic.  Beats forming a cogent argument of your own.  MARSOC bought those shitty 1911s and their shitty quality was exposed in gory detail on this very forum but military = BESTEST, DERP!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's funny how people went from circle jerking over a holster to calling it crap.

Where is the SF pic thread?  I'm sure I saw quite a few SERPAs being used.  Maybe the OP should try to school them in the gear they use, since he is the only one professional enough.

Ah, the "if the military uses it, it's beyond reproach" tactic.  Beats forming a cogent argument of your own.  MARSOC bought those shitty 1911s and their shitty quality was exposed in gory detail on this very forum but military = BESTEST, DERP!

Right.  I should believe some internet commando, who writes such an incredibly useless and ignorant blog instead.  A blog so horrible, he has to link to it in a thread on a popular forum to try and get hits.  Also, SF guys who can choose almost anything they want for equipment, obviously know nothing.  Not to mention the 5 years I've owned my SERPA, using it in matches, hiking and just carrying around with 0 issues.  No, no I should believe a nobody on the internet instead.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:08:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Right.  I should believe some internet commando, who writes such an incredibly useless and ignorant blog instead.  A blog so horrible, he has to link to it in a thread on a popular forum to try and get hits.  Also, SF guys who can choose almost anything they want for equipment, obviously know nothing.  Not to mention the 5 years I've owned my SERPA, using it in matches, hiking and just carrying around with 0 issues.  No, no I should believe a nobody on the internet instead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's funny how people went from circle jerking over a holster to calling it crap.

Where is the SF pic thread?  I'm sure I saw quite a few SERPAs being used.  Maybe the OP should try to school them in the gear they use, since he is the only one professional enough.

I'd love to shoot against you for time and accuracy
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:12:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Too tacticool for me

Trooper Mk III in leather holster on my webbelt and ammo pouch with 3 speed loaders
View Quote
That's what I'm talking about!

I gotta admit, I do carry my G22 in a Serpa but only because my nice leather holsters are reserved for revolvers. Like the floral carved El Paso Saddlery 1920 I have for my .45 Colt Bisley Vaquero.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:27:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know, I did post few links of agencies that have banned the SERPA.  However, since you're the SERPA's white knight and you're talking about matches, care to compare scores on your last classifier?  I'm ready.  I'm sure you rocked that last classifier you shot, right?  
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:31:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I always noticed open carriers around where I live are always wearing Affliction tshirts.
View Quote

Yeah. The bros in most parts of the world are too worried about their raised black trucks with black rims looking pretty and their hair sufficiently done right to have any situational awareness.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:03:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yeah. The bros in most parts of the world are too worried about their raised black trucks with black rims looking pretty and their hair sufficiently done right to have any situational awareness.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I always noticed open carriers around where I live are always wearing Affliction tshirts.

Around here, the pistols vary (although I've seen a lot of Ruger P-series!), but they almost always have an Uncle Mike's nylon holster.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:12:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:16:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You know, I did post few links of agencies that have banned the SERPA.  However, since you're the SERPA's white knight and you're talking about matches, care to compare scores on your last classifier?  I'm ready.  I'm sure you rocked that last classifier you shot, right?  

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:21:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Why do people claiming to be gun carrying freedom loving Americans have a problem with open carry?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:28:52 PM EDT
[#13]
It's not actually Serpa branded, but it is basically the same thing, and may even be made by them

Until someone else makes an economical, active retention holster that can hot swap between my bed mount, belt mount, vest mount, and car mount while allowing for suppressor sights, an RMR, and a Virdian C5L with ECR, Ill keep rocking it, and I probably will even after that

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:52:16 AM EDT
[#14]

gunsite recommends against them
banned by Todd Green
Jeff Gonzales bans serpa
Kyle Defoor:
"Whoever chose this piece of shit to be issued to anyone- you're an inexperienced pistol shooter who has no common sense. Hope you got a decent kickback from Blackhawk."
john mcphee bans them
national park service bans serpa for it's officers.
paul howe thinks they suck (I've heard this from the horse's mouth btw)
mike pannone bans the serpa

That's a fair chunk of the training community.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:43:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Car mount?

Quoted:
It's not actually Serpa branded, but it is basically the same thing, and may even be made by them

Until someone else makes an economical, active retention holster that can hot swap between my bed mount, belt mount, vest mount, and car mount while allowing for suppressor sights, an RMR, and a Virdian C5L with ECR, Ill keep rocking it, and I probably will even after that
http://i43.tinypic.com/2n9c0ig.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/2uhonz8.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:46:33 AM EDT
[#16]
In....before the lecture from MarkNH on how great OC is!  he's my hero.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:02:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Looks like ol' Tex Grebner should contact this law firm
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:09:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So is the XD crap too

I was going to do a trade for one this weekend
View All Quotes
Quoted:
So is the XD crap too

I was going to do a trade for one this weekend

The XD is awesome

Quoted:
Quoted:
So is the XD crap too

No. They work well. Better grip angle than a Glock, for me. The trigger is....striker.

The Glock and M&P fanbois seem to dump on it to validate their choices. The 1911 fanbois dump on it, too, but they dump on everything.

I have a Glock, M&P and 1911 as well as my XD.45. All have good points to them, Fanbois will be fanbois I guess
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:18:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've used a SERPA as a duty holster but I no longer have or use them(not to mention I no longer work in a career that requires duty carry). They're good holsters and they work. They're incredibly simple retention holsters. That is apparently their downside. It seems that there are some who carry a sidearm that are stupid enough to shoot themselves in the leg and rather than correct the deficiency of hazardous firearm handling, they need a retention holster that prevents them from doing so. Hence the "lowest common denominator" interagency regulations.

The reason I no longer feel the need for a SERPA is because I no longer have a need or desire for a retention holster. There's also the fact that there is no better material for holsters than leather.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:20:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Why do people claiming to be gun carrying freedom loving Americans have a problem with open carry?
View Quote

Same reason that the same types will disparage someone from using a holster or pistol that they have no experience with whatsoever. Groupthink and fashion. They have to be fabulous and part of the in-group.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:26:04 AM EDT
[#21]
I love my SERPA w/ M&P .40 (go ahead and hate).  Eat a bag of dicks
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:41:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Anyone in the Northern VA area who would like to do a friendly shoot off for time and accuracy (with a draw, of course) to defend the honor of their XD and SERPA, just let me know
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:44:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
And everyone should do what you like because?
View Quote

Because I can snap that gun off that piece of shit holster faster than you can blink?

If you stick your chin out all the time, don't be surprised when someone plays a little chin music for you.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:58:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

At least don't use a crap holster that promotes unsafe handling and will lock up with just a little dirt and dust in the mechanism.  It's not like the ALS is much more expensive nor hard to find.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:03:35 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
At least don't use a crap holster that promotes unsafe handling and will lock up with just a little dirt and dust in the mechanism.  It's not like the ALS is much more expensive nor hard to find.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A referral link?  Stay classy.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:32:52 AM EDT
[#26]
I carry a Glock in a SERPA. I've tried the ALS, and wasn't happy with it - I just plain don't like the "hood" part of it.

I'm aware of the potential issue with drawing like you have lobster claws and snagging the trigger. I've trained enough that I'm no longer concerned about it.  As for it locking up... well, Arfcom assures me that it's made of paper mache, so if I'm ever in a situation where the holster is locked up and I need the gun, I'll just give it a light twist and the holster will snap right in two, putting me back in action.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:38:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:45:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I carry a Glock in a SERPA. I've tried the ALS, and wasn't happy with it - I just plain don't like the "hood" part of it.

I'm aware of the potential issue with drawing like you have lobster claws and snagging the trigger. I've trained enough that I'm no longer concerned about it.  As for it locking up... well, Arfcom assures me that it's made of paper mache, so if I'm ever in a situation where the holster is locked up and I need the gun, I'll just give it a light twist and the holster will snap right in two, putting me back in action.
View Quote

There's a thumb drive option for the ALS.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:46:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Me too, but I just don't see the average mouth breather spending that much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Eh, all the guys I know that open carry here do it with Glock 17s in Safariland ALS.

Me too, but I just don't see the average mouth breather spending that much.

I know they don't sell Safariland at Walmart (or Safariland clones) but ALSs aren't that expensive in paddle format, like $50.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:48:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Without the hood, and with belt loops - I might give it another shot.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:54:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Just got the xd and it came with a serpa

I am so tier 5

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:55:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:58:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do you OC with it a lot?  When I OC (when doing yard work, hunting, etc), I use a Dark Star Gear OWB holster and it's damned amazing in comfort and non-active, yet very good retention.  Really molds against your hip well.  

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:01:32 AM EDT
[#34]
I've got an XD. And I daily carry a G22 in a SERPA. Literally thousands of draws without blowing a hole in my leg.  I've been through several classes that could have broken it, gotten pebbles in the release, etc., without a single problem. I couldn't give less of a fuck what anyone else thinks about it.

OP, do you carry a gun for a living?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:03:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I've got an XD. And I daily carry a G22 in a SERPA. Literally thousands of draws without blowing a hole in my leg.  I've been through several classes that could have broken it, gotten pebbles in the release, etc., without a single problem. I couldn't give less of a fuck what anyone else thinks about it.

View Quote

Not anymore (8 years, USMC) but did you see the list of folks that do carry a gun for a living who have banned the SERPA?  

If you didn't give a fuck, why are you commenting?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:15:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Not anymore (8 years, USMC) but did you see the list of folks that do carry a gun for a living who have banned the SERPA?  Yep.

If you didn't give a fuck, why are you commenting? Commenting doesn't mean I care what anyone thinks; it means I have something to say.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not anymore (8 years, USMC) but did you see the list of folks that do carry a gun for a living who have banned the SERPA?  Yep.

If you didn't give a fuck, why are you commenting? Commenting doesn't mean I care what anyone thinks; it means I have something to say.  

A lot of the issues people are having, in my own experience, has to do with exactly where the pad of the finger falls in relation to the release.  Mine falls exactly perfect. It takes zero effort to draw.

Those hooded monstrosities don't interest me. YMMV. Carry what you want. Doesn't make you any more or less right than me. I'm glad you found something that works for you.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:19:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

A lot of the issues people are having, in my own experience, has to do with exactly where the pad of the finger falls in relation to the release.  Mine falls exactly perfect. It takes zero effort to draw.

Those hooded monstrosities don't interest me. YMMV. Carry what you want. Doesn't make you any more or less right than me. I'm glad you found something that works for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't have to use a hood to use an active retention ALS.  Good for you as well on finding something works well for you but did you see the video on the locked up SERPA?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:20:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:23:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Why do you think the ALS has a hood?

http://www.code3tactical.com/images/products/detail/sf6377.jpg
View Quote

What retention does that rig have, other than friction? I'm asking because I'm considering trying the ALS.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:26:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

What retention does that rig have, other than friction? I'm asking because I'm considering trying the ALS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why do you think the ALS has a hood?

http://www.code3tactical.com/images/products/detail/sf6377.jpg

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:27:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:34:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Interesting. Thanks for the info. Is there enough room in the mag release to pop the mag while holstered?

Pricing them, they look like they are pretty close in price to the SERPAs.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:39:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Do you OC with it a lot?  When I OC (when doing yard work, hunting, etc), I use a Dark Star Gear OWB holster and it's damned amazing in comfort and non-active, yet very good retention.  Really molds against your hip well.  

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-IhPDXJ3YmfI/UiZEVakKEEI/AAAAAAAAAY0/VXTkV3-trIs/s1600/G17Holster.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-IhPDXJ3YmfI/UiZEVakKEEI/AAAAAAAAAY0/VXTkV3-trIs/s1600/G17Holster.jpg

If I'm in Virginia and I'm not at work, I'm OCing. I've been carrying my setup for a year now without issue.

I do want active retention of some type. It doesn't have to be "operator level", but something that puts a barrier between me and an easy gun grab by the hysterical liberal behind me in the checkout line is dammed nice.  Obviously not a replacement for proper situational awareness.

If I were going without active retention, I'd be wearing leather.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:43:58 AM EDT
[#44]
The open carry guys around here carry all kinds of stuff in all kinds of rigs, but if I had to pick a Numero Uno combo (in terms of what I see most) it would be a 1911 in a fitted leather holster, like a Bianchi or similar.

Open carry is accepted in AZ but I do cringe when I see some guy with his Glock in an Uncle Mikes holster flopping around on a skinny belt, looking like its about to fall out.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:24:54 AM EDT
[#45]
In northern Va the standard open carrier is usually a pasty, overweight white guy with a POS black nylon holster or a fobus and either a Glock or an XD.  Usually, they are wearing some sort of BDUs and two extra mags. I like to ignore the attention whores myself, but hey thats just me.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:37:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Working at a gun store, I would say 80%+ of all open carry folks use the shitty nylon Uncle Miles or Bulldog one size fits all holster. Some choad was OC'ing a Beretta 92 with a 20 round mag in it, and he had to keep putting the holster back in position since he was using the clip attachment to his shorts.

Most retarded one was a fat fuck wearing a war belt, with six double mag pouches, a drop leg with 3x33 round mags, and a Serpa drop leg containing a Glock that had been raped by a wood burner. To top it off he had a 33 round mag in the gun and was banging it on everything.
View Quote

Must have been visiting from NOVA, LOL. lf he was wearing all black, including BDUs and reeked like an unwashed ass, sounds just like the guy i encountered in the Fair Lakes SC Walmart a couple of years ago. Nice to see things are consistent.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:31:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Car mount?
View Quote

yeah I have one of the quick lock receivers mounted in my car so I can pop the whole holster on if for some reason Im not CCWing it, TBH it doesn't get used that much. Mainly for late night runs to the drive through

eta: to be fair though I do also want a nice custom kydex raven/bravo style holster for OWB that snugs up against the body also
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:34:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
In northern Va the standard open carrier is usually a pasty, overweight white guy with a POS black nylon holster or a fobus and either a Glock or an XD.  Usually, they are wearing some sort of BDUs and two extra mags. I like to ignore the attention whores myself, but hey thats just me.
View Quote

Sometimes they go a littler further in their attention seeking.....
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Earlier someone was dissing open carriers with revolvers. I went to Walmart for last minute Easter stuff, so I carried my S&W Model 66 no-dash .357 magnum (wearing pearls, it's a holiday) in a Strong leather pancake holster. As usually the crowd was oblivious and no fucks were given.

MissBheaven requested I bring back a photo . . .

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:06:08 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Earlier someone was dissing open carriers with revolvers. I went to Walmart for last minute Easter stuff, so I carried my S&W Model 66 no-dash .357 magnum (wearing pearls, it's a holiday) in a Strong leather pancake holster. As usually the crowd was oblivious and no fucks were given.

MissBheaven requested I bring back a photo . . .

http://www.fototime.com/%7B9C029F9B-A6BB-46DE-9D34-C6959EE07F0F%7D/origpict/ocwm041914.jpg

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=63068
View Quote

On you Terry open carry is sexy as hell.  Grateful that the public in general is not alarmed, maybe the Libs are a minority rather then a majority.  Myself, never OC but props to those that do.

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top