Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 100
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 9:58:14 PM EDT
[#1]
If your goal is the constructors title, which is just that for every team  - you use the 'old farts'.  If you're Honda you also want to strike while Renault and Ferrari are on the backfoot with development 'tokens' so you're not in a four way battle.

MAG may be a future driver, but he didn't bring home points when it mattered.  Button Does.

Whomever is signed shouldn't be signed for an extended contract - one and done. Make way for the next generation.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 9:49:45 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If your goal is the constructors title, which is just that for every team  - you use the 'old farts'.  If you're Honda you also want to strike while Renault and Ferrari are on the backfoot with development 'tokens' so you're not in a four way battle.

MAG may be a future driver, but he didn't bring home points when it mattered.  Button Does.

Whomever is signed shouldn't be signed for an extended contract - one and done. Make way for the next generation.
View Quote
Realistically, there is NO way that Mclaren could win the constructors title, unless Honda came up with a better engine than Merc, which sources say is very doubtful.  

In all honesty, I think Mclaren would have been better off sticking with JB and Kmag.. Spending the money to get Alonso seems like a waste, but it also keeps him away from other teams like Williams and RBR, which will be their main competitors next year.

Link Posted: 12/5/2014 1:19:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

In all honesty, I think Mclaren would have been better off sticking with JB and Kmag.. Spending the money to get Alonso seems like a waste, but it also keeps him away from other teams like Williams and RBR, which will be their main competitors next year.

View Quote

solid truth in this - however with Prodromou onboard and a works Honda engine, RD / McLaren only needed a "super star" Driver to extinguish the last excuse for not winning a Manufacturer crown again.  They have the components in place, time will tell if they mesh properly.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 9:29:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
solid truth in this - however with Prodromou onboard and a works Honda engine, RD / McLaren only needed a "super star" Driver to extinguish the last excuse for not winning a Manufacturer crown again.  They have the components in place, time will tell if they mesh properly.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

RD and Fernando meshed SO well that last time they worked together.  Alonso got bounced out on his ass... Mclaren ended up with a constructors ban AND they managed to gift a drivers championship to Ferrari even though it was clear that Mclaren had a better car that year.  I wonder if they will be able to top that season.

Hell, next season will be great just hearing what those two say about each other.. RD is a stone cold asshole, and Fernando is a great driver but he has issues with keeping his mouth shut if things go just a little bit sideways of what he expects.

Link Posted: 12/5/2014 9:36:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
RD and Fernando meshed SO well that last time they worked together.  Alonso got bounced out on his ass... Mclaren ended up with a constructors ban.  I wonder if they will be able to top that season.

Hell, next season will be great just hearing what those two say about each other.. RD is a stone cold asshole, and Fernando is a great driver but he has issues with keeping his mouth shut if things go just a little bit sideways of what he expects.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

RD and Fernando meshed SO well that last time they worked together.  Alonso got bounced out on his ass... Mclaren ended up with a constructors ban.  I wonder if they will be able to top that season.

A couple of folks are floating the idea that if Ron gains control, Alonso might be SOL for 2015.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 11:12:00 PM EDT
[#6]
100 L O N G days until Australia.

99 until McLaren announces a driver.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 11:34:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

How many until crazy ole uncle Bernie retires?
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 11:44:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
A couple of folks are floating the idea that if Ron gains control, Alonso might be SOL for 2015.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

McLaren isn't paying for Alonso, Honda is and they have the money.

Link Posted: 12/5/2014 11:57:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree that Honda wants Alonso and are probably willing to foot the bill, but..

Maybe they are fighting over the second driver or maybe just Fernando, but there is a power struggle holding up the announcement.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:06:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote
49 days till the 24 hours of Daytona.

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:25:18 AM EDT
[#11]
So is the worst season of Formula boring over yet? Who won? Please tell me it was not the A O Hamilton.
If they do the turbo BS again next year I hope they can dubb in some real F-1 sound
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:58:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

So is the worst season of Formula boring over yet? Who won? Please tell me it was not the A O Hamilton.

If they do the turbo BS again next year I hope they can dubb in some real F-1 sound
View Quote
Far from the worst season... 1994 still gets that honor, for different reasons.  But yes, everyone's FAVORITE Brit won.

In other news, since you've been under a rock, next year looks like it might be interesting.  

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 10:21:48 AM EDT
[#14]

Ferrari's going to get them one way or another
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 6:35:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Thing is they had night "guards"   So what did they do, yell at them and say "hey don't take that!"  Then again this is in europe where the criminals have more right than the free sheeple
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 7:16:44 PM EDT
[#16]

That pic shows the main case, but they had the really nice stuff in an even more location.

The below vid came out a few months ago and shows everything. Hell, might have been the catalyst for the theft. (my first thought when seeing it was the relatively insecure location of the trophies)

ETA: The intro shows Horner driving his car right up to the building.

Skip to 4:20 for the trophies.

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 11:41:51 PM EDT
[#17]
View All Quotes

many of the trophies on display were replicas.

I hope this is true

Link Posted: 12/7/2014 2:35:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I hope this is true

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I hope this is true

Even if they were real, it would be akin to stealing a Monet and then trying to sell it.  The people who did the robbery either plan on keeping the trophies or threatening to damage/destroy them if Red Bull doesn't pay out some money.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 2:51:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Even if they were real, it would be akin to stealing a Monet and then trying to sell it.  The people who did the robbery either plan on keeping the trophies or threatening to damage/destroy them if Red Bull doesn't pay out some money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope this is true

But just like stolen art you know there's a black market for this stuff...or just some really dumb criminals.

I legitimately wonder if the Pink Panthers, a European crime gang, are involved.

Check out the Pink Panthers here.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 10:00:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Just waiting for a McLaren decision...

Link Posted: 12/10/2014 11:23:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 12:28:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 7:42:29 PM EDT
[#23]

I sure hope the hell so
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 8:12:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I sure hope the hell so
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I sure hope the hell so

I have now read stories confirming, yes, CONFIRMING Magnussen at McLaren in 2015.

I have also read that Jenson has ABSOLUTELY 100% locked in his contract with McLaren for 2015.

It makes me almost hope that it's not a driver announcement just to mess with the media.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 3:09:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I have now read stories confirming, yes, CONFIRMING Magnussen at McLaren in 2015.

I have also read that Jenson has ABSOLUTELY 100% locked in his contract with McLaren for 2015.

It makes me almost hope that it's not a driver announcement just to mess with the media.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sure hope the hell so

The British media is making this more than it is. I don't have any insider information, but I watch the season, and it's clear that Magnussen deserves to be there next year. It would be a damn shame if he weren't.

It looks like JEV is going to be in Indycar next year, so I'll have someone else to root for after RHR.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 4:11:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 7:44:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Alonso and button confirmed as drivers at Mclaren for 2015. Mag test driver/reserve driver

here
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:36:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Congrats Plumber--you got your guy back!
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:57:46 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Alonso and button confirmed as drivers at Mclaren for 2015. Mag test driver/reserve driver

here
View Quote
Actually pretty smart... If/when Alonso jumps ship next year for greener pastures, they already have a driver to replace him without having to sign any new contracts.

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:05:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Goes to show what I know, I think it's a damn shame that Magnussen lost his ride after a season like that though.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:09:32 AM EDT
[#31]
True mag was a great driver for a rookie but having two world champs driving new Honda engines and then having a great rookie reserve driver as backup seems to make a lot of sense
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:14:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
True mag was a great driver for a rookie but having two world champs driving new Honda engines and then having a great rookie reserve driver as backup seems to make a lot of sense
View Quote

Exactly--plus mag was a little rough on the cars.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:18:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

here
View Quote

The smartest decision they could have made IMO
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:33:08 AM EDT
[#34]
I'mm happy with their choice
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Glad we got that out of the way. Now... I'm just hoping that SOMEONE can figure-out a way to at least make it a bit more interesting for Merc next season. I don't care who does it... maybe Ricciardo and RBR can ratchet their game up a hair or something.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 2:57:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Awkward...

I have to say I'm happy JB keeps his seat and it sounds like a multi-year deal. PLEASE don't think I dislike Magnussen. I think he's a GREAT driver and would love to see him in a McLaren again. If they go to 3 cars ever I hope he's immediately in.

In the meantime, maybe he can race LeMans with his dad and Corvette Racing? That'd be badass.

I'm just happy this announcement is over.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:33:40 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Awkward...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4kile9IIAAusk1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/aM6XFwh.jpg

http://youtu.be/reYIHufWjJY

http://youtu.be/y9_oSyg0siY

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4kiljaIYAA_E88.jpg

I have to say I'm happy JB keeps his seat and it sounds like a multi-year deal. PLEASE don't think I dislike Magnussen. I think he's a GREAT driver and would love to see him in a McLaren again. If they go to 3 cars ever I hope he's immediately in.

In the meantime, maybe he can race LeMans with his dad and Corvette Racing? That'd be badass.

I'm just happy this announcement is over.
View Quote

Mag will, most likely, be back in the seat in 2016... I don't see Fernando sticking with Mclaren for very long, unless Honda sacrifices enough goats to get a miracle engine.. but it's not looking like that is going to happen.  

I think he's going to be looking for a Merc powerplant, and only the works team could afford him...  Maybe Nico gets pissed off and leaves next year, and Lewis and 'nando are partners again?  I don't think even Merc is that stupid.

Final note, Anyone know if Alonso's Santander backing followed him to Mclaren?

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 7:31:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Vettel on-boards.

http://youtu.be/zeBx7VsnKpY
View Quote

Is he driving the F2013?
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 7:49:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That pic shows the main case, but they had the really nice stuff in an even more location.

The below vid came out a few months ago and shows everything. Hell, might have been the catalyst for the theft. (my first thought when seeing it was the relatively insecure location of the trophies)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNuQMmnTpoo
View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNuQMmnTpoo

I like Newey's filing system and the stormtrooper helmet.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 7:53:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

here
View Quote

Wow, McLaren is rolling deep.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 7:55:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Is he driving the F2013?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Vettel on-boards.

http://youtu.be/zeBx7VsnKpY

Is he driving the F2013?

2012 car.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 2:55:12 PM EDT
[#43]

That's all well and good, but until they dump the fuel restrictions, the engines are still going to be neutered.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 5:08:20 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
That's all well and good, but until they dump the fuel restrictions, the engines are still going to be neutered.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

obviously...

but the fact that there is now an active movement for it is a start.. hopefully

they still need to allow the manufacturers to decide what engine, induction, etc they want.  above all i want open rules and cost caps.

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 5:09:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
cost caps.

View Quote

How in the world would you ever enforce something like that?
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 5:22:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
cost caps.

You can't.

Well....technically you could. But the money, manpower and legal requirements are pretty unrealistic.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 5:27:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You can't.

Well....technically you could. But the money, manpower and legal requirements are pretty unrealistic.
View Quote

Agreed.  Especially when you think about "works" teams.... that literally have millions of dollars of car/engine expertise and testing facilities available to them for free.

Capping costs just isn't feasible.  More equitable sharing of revenue among the teams is the only way you're going to have anything even approaching equipment parity.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:09:18 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Agreed.  Especially when you think about "works" teams.... that literally have millions of dollars of car/engine expertise and testing facilities available to them for free.

Capping costs just isn't feasible.  More equitable sharing of revenue among the teams is the only way you're going to have anything even approaching equipment parity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You can't.

sure it is.  would just take a team of accountants and weekly expense reports that ALL team activities must be on..

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 10:14:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
sure it is.  would just take a team of accountants and weekly expense reports that ALL team activities must be on..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't.

It's too easy to hide stuff (particularly on the contracting side) using just an expense report.

It would require accountants watching each team and all of their suppliers and contractors. Those accountants would require full access to the books of dozens, possible hundreds of different private companies. They would also need to determine who actually owned those companies. Add on top of all of that, they would also be dealing with different accounting and banking rules for different countries.

It would end up requiring a FBI grade investigation (with FBI grade access) to monitor each team.......and they still wouldn't be able to find everything.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 7:34:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 100
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top