Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 9:20:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Target has them too.

When I was 14, I rode the shit out of a cheap Huffy ten speed, for YEARS, and I didn't have any problems.

This Tier 1 bike shit is a little ridiculous.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Has Schwinn really gone down that much? My local Walmart carries them.

Target has them too.

When I was 14, I rode the shit out of a cheap Huffy ten speed, for YEARS, and I didn't have any problems.

Not if you're riding technical trails. A poor bike can be downright dangerous, not just a hassle.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 9:21:19 AM EDT
[#2]
What about this bike they carry:

Iron Horse Sinister 6.3

Granted this one is $418, but the 6.2 version is $345 and the 6.1 version is $313

I heard Iron Horse was at one time, a good manufacturer of mountain bikes.

FYI, Sears also sells the Iron Horse Warrior Series
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 9:22:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Update: bike purchased

Well, local shop had Specialized Hardrocks for $439.00. He bought a lime green one.

I bought one years ago almost identical, and now my oldest son rides it.   I've got the 29" version with disk brakes, now.  I ride every day, 365, and they've held up well.    This new one has a 19" frame so it should allow him to grow and still fit fine.   He's pretty small now, but loves the way it rides.  

We traded his Diamondback DB24 in on the bike.    We bought that there originally too.   He only gave us $70 on trade in, but its more than I expected.    Owner says he can sell it for $100.   I pitched in the last $58.00 to cover the difference and taxes.   We agreed that he could work it off by mowing our lawn the next three times.   He already mows the neighbor ladies yard every week.  

Probably should of tried selling my 29 to my oldest son for 300, had my youngest buy the yellow hardrock(oldest sons) for 200, and I could have gotten a new 29 for $100. Damn, should have thought of that earlier.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/7/2013 9:52:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My 14yr old son needs an adult sized mountain bike.   We are headed down to the local bike shop, but I doubt he can afford what he sells.   Usually his bikes, Specialized, sell for $400 and up.   He's got $300 to spend.  

I'd rather not buy a bike from Walmart, but it may be all he can afford.   Buying used around here is not easy, as we live in a very small town, and rarely see them come p on the local buy/sell sites.  

View Quote

Wait a minute. You're in Wyoming ...have the kid buy a handgun and, no wait, I'm thinking Detroit.

What the heck, walk in the local shop, see what they have and put the cash on the counter. Pay close attention to the frame, forks and wheels. The rest is easily swapped for better.

Craiglist the entire state. I'd bet Cheyenne, Casper or Jackson Hole will have a decent selection. Maybe Laramie too.

Look online for sure. There may be some closeouts or last years models. Pick a bike like Diamondback as a good starting point and see what you find. Upgrading components is really easy. I know they're nice, but you probably don't need to start with a full suspension bike. You could maybe get away with a decent fork set for a year or two and see where it goes.

Good luck, post pics. Apparently, there are a lot of MB fans here!
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 9:53:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
On our way to the local bike shop.   I'll update after.   Looked at bikesdirect.com .......looks promising.

View Quote

I have experience with Bikesdirect.....Decent stuff for starting out.  Just stay away from the Gravity Brand.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 9:53:29 AM EDT
[#6]
OP, you did well!
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 9:54:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Is Trek still good?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Schwinn is no longer the Schwinn we knew growing up. They went bankrupt and sold off the name years ago. It's just Chinese junk with a Schwinn sticker on it.

Is Trek still good?

Trek is still good
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 9:56:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, local shop had Specialized Hardrocks for $439.00. He bought a lime green one.

I bought one years ago almost identical, and now my oldest son rides it.   I've got the 29" version with disk brakes, now.  I ride every day, 365, and they've held up well.    This new one has a 19" frame so it should allow him to grow and still fit fine.   He's pretty small now, but loves the way it rides.  

We traded his Diamondback DB24 in on the bike.    We bought that there originally too.   He only gave us $70 on trade in, but its more than I expected.    Owner says he can sell it for $100.   I pitched in the last $58.00 to cover the difference and taxes.   We agreed that he could work it off by mowing our lawn the next three times.   He already mows the neighbor ladies yard every week.  

Probably should of tried selling my 29 to my oldest son for 300, had my youngest buy the yellow hardrock(oldest sons) for 200, and I could have gotten a new 29 for $100. Damn, should have thought of that earlier.  

Excellent choice!!!
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 9:57:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Also keep in mind that a roughly $300 hardtail (front suspension only) from Bikes Direct or a used bike store brand will be under 30 lbs while a $200 Walmart bike will be most likely north of 40 lbs, especially if it's a full suspension.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 10:01:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Buy a used Cannondale of off eBay, one of the late 90's early 2000 models with the CAAD2 aluminum frame and take it to a good bike shop to get a tune-up.

Link Posted: 8/7/2013 10:01:37 AM EDT
[#11]
dammit

Link Posted: 8/7/2013 10:03:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

NO....Craigslist and get a quality bike that's gently used.
View Quote
correct craigslist all the way

$100 buys a ton of bike on Craigslist

and $20 buys a great tune up from some part time guy that works in his garage

Link Posted: 8/7/2013 10:05:22 AM EDT
[#13]

No, Walmart bikes suck. I just got rid of one and bought a Giant, it was $394 out the door. Maybe check your local craigslist and look for a good used TREK, Giant or Specialized.

I will never own another Walmart or big box store bike anymore, for a little more you can get a good quality bike from your LBS.

Link Posted: 8/7/2013 10:11:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Nope, wont last him a few days and be may be turned off to the sport for life. Your best best is chip in the extra $$$ as a b-day/x-mas gift. You could also hit craigslist up. At 14, its a great age to learn how to work on bike.
View Quote

FPNI...

NO NO NO
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 10:11:18 AM EDT
[#15]
I know this really ain't what your kid's looking for but I bought this Mongoose boys 26" dirt-jumper from Wally World shipped to my door for $160.  Showed up in three days in perfect working order less 15 minutes of build time.  

My buddy is a bike nut and was really surprised at the quality and parts that came with this rig, namely the 3-piece micro cranks and quality of the frame/welds.  I swapped out the handlebars for a set of BMX bars, added a more comfy seat, and swapped out the tires with a set of Maxxis 26" Holy Rollers.  I also stripped this rig of all the stickers and reflectors and swapped out all the orange accents for black.  I have about $300 tied up in this bike.  This is now my beach cruiser since my Jamis was stolen out from under my house by a member of the FSA a few weeks ago.  Next purchase is a legit MTB from PricePoint this week.

Also, check out bikesdirect.com for closeout rigs at nutty prices.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 11:36:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I'd post pictures of the new bike and is rider, but apparently, Photobucket says I'm a bandwidth whore.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 11:46:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good job OP. That is the bike that most of our High School MTB team uses. It will do him great!

I can't see your state because I am on a different site But check this out. They might have a team for him
http://www.nationalmtb.org/nica-leagues/
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 11:59:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Glad you got a good bike for the kiddo, can't go wrong with a Specialized.

Link Posted: 8/7/2013 12:05:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Any recommendations for a bike for a 6'5, 220lb fellow like myself?  I've got a Specialized Roubaix for road work but could use something for the dirt.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 12:06:36 PM EDT
[#20]
I used to manage a bike shop and have turned a lot of wrenches in my day.  I bought my 13 y/o son a Walmart bike that was on sale.  I purchased it online for $250, and for what it is, it was a better equipped bike (component grades, etc.) than the $400-$500 bikes at the bike store.  Because it was purchased online, I was able to assemble to bike to my standards (chasing threads before assembly, pre stretching cables, centering and truing the wheels, etc.), so it works well.  I told my son if his riding and abilities ever get to the point where he exceeds what the bike can deliver, I would upgrade him (and the old bike gets passed down to his younger brother).  

Used bikes are a crapshoot because they may not always have been taken care of, or had been "worked on" by their clueless owner who overtorqued fasteners, or has components that are worn to the point that they cannot be properly tuned.  You could spend a few hundred on a used bike replacing the deraileurs, failed bottom brackets, and other components that have been damaged or used excessively by the previous owner (usually the reason people sell a bike that was previously decent), thus negating the savings.

The most obvious drawbacks to a cheaper bike is that the derailuers will not shift precicesly when under load, there will be brake fade under heavy braking, and any really heavy riding you will notice frame flex and just a general failure to deliver performance.  This is usually not noticed by a novice rider.  I think that your son would enjoy his bike thoroughly for a couple years during which time he could save for a better one (if that is what he wants).  When I say better, I mean a bike that is using at least mid level components, and utilizes more advanced frame construction/materials - plan on spending over $1,000 for an entry level bike, and over $1,500 for one that can deliver decent performance.  Add $500 if you plan on going with a full suspension bike.

Bikes in the $250-$500 range are all going to perform equally as well IMO.  Just stay away from full suspension bikes in that price range because they will be junk.  They will generally lower the grade of the componets in order to offset the cost of the full suspension and keep it at the pricepoint they want.  You really won't see any truly significant increases in performance until you are spending over $1,000.

A walmart bike is fine if you know what you are doing when you put it together.  Order it online though, and do not buy one off the floor of their SG department.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 12:07:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Walmart is one of the best places to get cheap "Cruiser Bikes."

Not a moutain bike, if he intends to take it off road.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#22]
No, get a Kona

Link Posted: 8/7/2013 12:10:01 PM EDT
[#23]
i bought a mountain bike from wally world

piece of shit nearly fell apart after a month

pedals fell off. seat fell off. handlebars fell off.

finally someone stole it out of my front lawn, i hope the sob killed himself on the damn thing
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 12:12:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Not if you're riding technical trails. A poor bike can be downright dangerous, not just a hassle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Target has them too.

Kind of depends on the level of "technical". For XC riding, a lot of Walgoose bikes are actually very durable....the frames are ridiculously heavy and overbuilt (lawyer proof, and frankly without much consideration to weight and svelt styling).

I've bombed around my trails which are wicked technical on a Walgoose and while it sucked pretty hard up the hills, it soaked up the abuse without any issues for months and months of hard riding. I still have that bike, and it's still perfectly functional but looks like a monkey raped it.

I've seen more taco'd wheels and broken frames on high end carbon and upper-end bikes on my local trails than I've ever seen or even heard of a Walmart bike hurting someone.

There's a "tree of shame" on one of the local trails with broken
parts and wheels and it's littered with high end parts and I don't see
any Walmart or Schwinn hanging from it. Yes, I realize few people ride
those bikes compared to better bikes, but I see people out on the cheap
bikes now and again and they seem to survive.

I ride a good bike (GT Zaskar Pro), I appreciate what it is and where the quality matters (components, wheels and brakes), but unless I was doing downhill or trails, I wouldn't be afraid of riding a Walgoose - even if it is a poor tool for the job - on a typical XC trail. If it's assembled properly, it'll survive more trail riding than you'd imagine.

But I readily admit that for a few hundred more, you get orders of magnitude better ride and comfort.

Link Posted: 8/7/2013 12:15:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I say hit up craigslist or Pinkbike.com

Ive gotta both of my mountain bikes from there, I even picked up a specialized Demo (big downhill bike) bike for less that a grand. I rarely ride the bike and probably going to sell it soon., i only got it because i had always wanted one.

you can general find some bike in great shape that retail over 1500-2k for around 5-600 or less.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 12:15:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have an old Mongoose with front and rear suspension that came from Wally world. As a casual rider on relatively rough terrain, it served me just fine. Of course, there are better bikes, but if you are looking for something cheap to see if it's a sport he's interested in, I say go for it.
View Quote

I just bought a new 29" Mongoose from Wally. Shimano derailleur, front disc brake, 21-speed. So far, so good. Its a heavy beast, though.

My last Chinese Wal-Mart bike lasted me over 3,000 logged road miles (via digital speedo). I had a bike shop repair the crank bearings once when the originals failed at about 1,000 miles.

As a side note- a buddy gave me an old '82 Raleigh Grand Prix aluminum-frame road bike. It was fairly high-end back then. I can't believe how light it is nor how hard and crappy the so-called "saddle" is.

ETA- I'm a casual trail rider for the cardio/ fitness benefit. This tier1 mega-$X,000.00 bike nonsense would be completely wasted on me. I'd rather invest in more guns or ammo.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 12:20:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Have you looked at Dicks, Sports Authority, or the like? They sell better than Walmart quality bikes but not quite bike shop only bikes for around the price range youre looking at.

Best bet is to get one there for around that price and assemble it yourself.

Edit: Missed the post where you bought the bike already.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 12:28:17 PM EDT
[#28]
its all about the groupo

the mongoose frames are like tanfoglio copies, of cz clones, of browning designs

if the walmart frame fits well, the cloned brake hardware is ok

and most have shimano transmissions

the cranks are POS

the suspensions suck hard

avoid any walmart full suspension bikes

it may look like a fox shock, but its an undamped spring.

both my kids have the Kent Genesis hardtailed 29ers for 225 walmart bucks.

the forks suck but a real suspension fork is 300 bucks

I'm tempted to build one up with a surly fork

Link Posted: 8/7/2013 12:38:18 PM EDT
[#29]
http://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Mongoose-Hex-Men-s-Fitness-Bike-Matte-Blue/22861850

if this 157 dollar one had disc brake tabs, it would be in my garage

Link Posted: 8/7/2013 12:55:04 PM EDT
[#30]
As a parent help your kid buy a decent one from a shop.
I just dropped 1K on my SONS BMX Bike.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 12:57:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I have experience with Bikesdirect.....Decent stuff for starting out.  Just stay away from the Gravity Brand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
On our way to the local bike shop.   I'll update after.   Looked at bikesdirect.com .......looks promising.

Why?

I have a Gravity Liberty and love it.  Even the mechanic at my local bike shop says it's a pretty good bike.

Link Posted: 8/7/2013 1:27:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 1:31:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Have you looked at Dicks, Sports Authority, or the like? They sell better than Walmart quality bikes but not quite bike shop only bikes for around the price range youre looking at.

Best bet is to get one there for around that price and assemble it yourself.

Edit: Missed the post where you bought the bike already.
View Quote

Dick's?
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 1:40:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
As a parent help your kid buy a decent one from a shop.
I just dropped 1K on my SONS BMX Bike.
View Quote

that's just retarded. my parents would have told me to get fukd
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 1:48:21 PM EDT
[#35]
No.  All of Walmart's bikes are made of cheap Chinese rolled steel.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 2:00:07 PM EDT
[#36]
No.

Go to a bike store.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 2:05:26 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

No.  All of Walmart's bikes are made of cheap Chinese rolled steel.
View Quote

As opposed to whose frames? Nearly everyone except very very high end boutique bikes are making their frames in China or Korea.

BTW, about 50% of Walmart's bikes are aluminum framed (usually hydroformed).

In all honesty, I'd put the durability of a modern manufactured steel framed bike made in China up against the Huffy's of my youth. They're certainly heavy enough.

Link Posted: 8/7/2013 2:11:12 PM EDT
[#38]
$300? Life's too short for a $300 bike. Maybe he could save up a little more then he could afford a Next.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 2:13:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Order online or buy used. I've broken a big box store bike on it's first visit to the local trails. (Was 16, didn't know to buy quality stuff back then.)
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 2:16:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Kind of depends on the level of "technical". For XC riding, a lot of Walgoose bikes are actually very durable....the frames are ridiculously heavy and overbuilt (lawyer proof, and frankly without much consideration to weight and svelt styling).

I've bombed around my trails which are wicked technical on a Walgoose and while it sucked pretty hard up the hills, it soaked up the abuse without any issues for months and months of hard riding. I still have that bike, and it's still perfectly functional but looks like a monkey raped it.

I've seen more taco'd wheels and broken frames on high end carbon and upper-end bikes on my local trails than I've ever seen or even heard of a Walmart bike hurting someone.
There's a "tree of shame" on one of the local trails with broken parts and wheels and it's littered with high end parts and I don't see any Walmart or Schwinn hanging from it. Yes, I realize few people ride those bikes compared to better bikes, but I see people out on the cheap bikes now and again and they seem to survive.

I ride a good bike (GT Zaskar Pro), I appreciate what it is and where the quality matters (components, wheels and brakes), but unless I was doing downhill or trails, I wouldn't be afraid of riding a Walgoose - even if it is a poor tool for the job - on a typical XC trail. If it's assembled properly, it'll survive more trail riding than you'd imagine.

But I readily admit that for a few hundred more, you get orders of magnitude better ride and comfort.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Target has them too.

There's a "tree of shame" on one of the local trails with broken parts and wheels and it's littered with high end parts and I don't see any Walmart or Schwinn hanging from it. Yes, I realize few people ride those bikes compared to better bikes, but I see people out on the cheap bikes now and again and they seem to survive.

I'm with you, mostly. My biggest concern (and I saw some fail in a bad way) is the brake components you're gonna get on a wally world bike.
Also, everyone I looked at was geared too high for trails, imho.

I wasn't saying to buy a 2500 dollar Trek or Giant. Only to beware of most wallybikes for any real trail riding. I DID get my wife's Schwinn Rocket there and it was a lot of bike for the money.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 2:22:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

GOOD WORK.

When I was 14, my parents and I bought a full rigid Gary Fischer for $300 over a walmart model. I rode the piss out of it for a few years, then it sat while I drove through high school. I took it to college, and it was my main transportation for 4 years. Fast forward - I'm 26, live in Denver, and with skinnies, it is my city commuter. That bike has lasted ten times longer than it should have because of proper maintenance and spending the extra hundred off the bat.

Teach him how to clean and lube a chain, NOW.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 2:23:21 PM EDT
[#42]
walmart's cruisers are only good for a year or so of use I wouldn't trust a mountain bike put together by those monkeys.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top