Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2012 6:18:46 AM EDT
I'm a big advocate for Bitcoin, and saw this come through on the forums this morning. Interesting stuff:

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/content/city-news/anonymous-group-allegedly-hacked-romney-tax-records-franklin-firm

From the ransom demand:

All major news media outlets are going to be sent an encrypted copy of the most recent tax years that your company had on file since you did not have them all in a convenient electronic form. The years before 2010 will be of great interest to many. If the parties interested do not want the encrypted key released to the public to unlock these documents on September 28 of this year then payment will be necessary.

The deal is quite simple. Convert $1,000,000 USD to Bitcoins (Google if if you need a lesson on what Bitcoin is) using the various markets available out in the world for buying. Transfer the Bitcoins gathered to the Bitcoin address listed below. It does not matter if small amounts or one large amount is transferred, as long as the final value of the Bitcoins is equal to $1,000,000 USD at the time when it is finished. The keys to unlock the data will be purged and what ever is inside the documents will remain a secret forever.

Failure to do this before September 28, the entire world will be allowed to view the documents with a publicly released key to unlock everything.

Bitcoin Address to Stop Release: [redacted]

And the same time, the other interested parties will be allowed to compete with you. For those that DO want the documents released will have an different address to send to. If $1,000,000 USD is sent to this account below first; then the encryption keys will be made available to the world right away. So this is an equal opportunity for the documents to remain locked away forever or to be exposed before the September 28 deadline.

Who-ever is the winner does not matter to us.

The nature of Bitcoin is such that, if used correctly, it is impossible to trace to whom money sent is paid.

To see what's been sent to the "Prevent release" address: 1HeF89wMjC48bWNgWvVo7Wu3RaLW8XVsE8

... and the "release them" address: 12AP6iCwRNFQqKLStH3A4b4hw3SL6RaNgB

Finally, be aware that this whole thing is likely a fraud. Lots of people would like to see Bitcoin gain visibility, either positive or negative. Still, I don't think it much matters - it's relevant to the campaign and to Bitcoin if the story grows legs, whether or not they have the documents they claim.
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 6:20:33 AM EDT
[#1]
As of right now, $1,000,000 USD = 95,238 BTC. The price fluctuates depending on market conditions.
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 6:29:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Hmmm.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19486695

One of the biggest Bitcoin currency exchanges has been taken offline after 24,000 units ($250,000; £157,800) of the virtual currency were stolen from its computer servers.

Link Posted: 9/5/2012 6:32:01 AM EDT
[#3]
What's the over / under on them really having the data?
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 6:34:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hmmm.

One of the biggest Bitcoin currency exchanges has been taken offline after 24,000 units ($250,000; £157,800) of the virtual currency were stolen from its computer servers.

I'm quite well versed on the security problems exchanges have had in the past.

FWIW, this is the equivalent of a bank vault being broken into. It sucked for depositors at that bank, but it has no long-term impact on the currency.
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 6:36:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'd put it somewhere around 5:1 against.
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 6:41:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If they do have the data it's because the Obama administration is behind this.
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 6:43:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmm.

FWIW, this is the equivalent of a bank vault being broken into. It sucked for depositors at that bank, but it has no long-term impact on the currency.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.  Carry on.  While your at it you should use Tor for some fun illegal stuff as well, totally safe.
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 6:45:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmmm.

It also isn't insured if the exchange that holds your money shuts down, right?

I understand no impact on the currency overall, but it would suck immensely to lose money because an exchange failed to secure your dough and no insurance on your funds.  

There's a lot of money in bitcoin, and should it become "mainstream" there will be 1000x the number of motivated theives, not to mention what the state supported "hackers" (China, Russia, etc.) could do to it.

Link Posted: 9/5/2012 6:51:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmmm.

It also isn't insured if the exchange that holds your money shuts down, right?

I understand no impact on the currency overall, but it would suck immensely to lose money because an exchange failed to secure your dough and no insurance on your funds.  

There's a lot of money in bitcoin, and should it become "mainstream" there will be 1000x the number of motivated theives, not to mention what the state supported "hackers" (China, Russia, etc.) could do to it.

No, it is completely unregulated - and for that matter, unregulatable.

Bitcoin cannot be "mainstream" the way the dollar is in its current form. It's too complicated, and the stakes are too high. It is, however, an excellent vehicle for moving relatively small sums of money across international borders, especially hostile ones. If one took a mind to do so, it would be trivial to send $50k USD (~10k BTC) to Tehran, and it would be available to the recipient within minutes.

I see Bitcoin as a freedom thing, and a very high risk, long-term investment.

EDIT: Hackers can only get access to things that are online and on the net. There are steps you can take - but again, too complicated for the lay person right now.
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 6:53:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmmm.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.  Carry on.  While your at it you should use Tor for some fun illegal stuff as well, totally safe.

I do use Tor. It's not encryption, it merely hides origin and destination.

Again - technically very capable, but your average person on the street is going to get smacked hard because they don't understand the tech.
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 7:01:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I just had a thought... suppose the guy that's doing this doesn't have the documents - but he does have 100k BTC.

He could set this up, publicize it, then pay the "stop" address in a lump sum. Announce to the world that the ransom was paid, and disappear giving the impression that there really is something to hide in his tax returns.

Then Romney could end up with a choice between appearing to pay $1m USD to keep his returns private, or release them himself.
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 7:08:55 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmm.

Again - technically very capable, but your average person on the street is going to get smacked hard because they don't understand the tech.

I understand the tech, very well.  That is why I know better than to use it for anything.  I could have an exit node up and running while capturing the traffic in just a few mins.  Some in the info sec community believe that 80% of tor exit nodes are actively sniffed/honeypots.

Link Posted: 9/5/2012 8:05:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmmm.

I understand the tech, very well.  That is why I know better than to use it for anything.  I could have an exit node up and running while capturing the traffic in just a few mins.  Some in the info sec community believe that 80% of tor exit nodes are actively sniffed/honeypots.  

There was a case a while back where some diplomat was using Tor to access confidential email, but didn't use any type of encryption. His traffic was intercepted at one end or the other, and his emails released.

Stupid hurts. You'd be a moron to put more wealth than you can afford to lose into a system you don't understand.
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 8:24:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they do have the data it's because the Obama administration is behind this.

That possibility has crossed my mind.

Although remember, Obama's cronies usually stick with illegally auditing people in revenge.

Then Romney could end up with a choice between appearing to pay $1m USD to keep his returns private, or release them himself.

Now that sounds a bit more like Obama's team/minions.  Turn it into a class war where everyone hates the rich.  Plus, I don't think his team is above using "false flags" to push their agenda.
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 8:31:45 AM EDT
[#15]
For the love of big titties, someone put this all in plain english.
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 8:35:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Won't happen, even if they had something to hide there would be no guarantee that the other end would fulfill their obligation. Your only option is to call their bluff (unless you're a complete idiot, which I don't take Romney for).
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 8:50:56 AM EDT
[#17]
I honestly don't think there is anything in Romney's tax returns that will sway the election one way or another.  Everybody knows he's rich.  Those that hate him for it, already vote to the left.  The rest just see him as a successful business man who avoids paying taxes by any legal means possible. It's distraction from the real issues.  

Link Posted: 9/5/2012 9:08:18 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I just had a thought... suppose the guy that's doing this doesn't have the documents - but he does have 100k BTC.

He could set this up, publicize it, then pay the "stop" address in a lump sum. Announce to the world that the ransom was paid, and disappear giving the impression that there really is something to hide in his tax returns.

This actually makes alot of sence.

Would Soros and company be willing to do something like this? Maybe. Romney does not pay up but they claim he did to keep it secret.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 9:23:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Bitcoin isn't high-profile enough yet for this to make sense as a political move by Romney's opponents.

There are really three options here:

1) The malefactor is telling the truth. He has the documents, the RNC knows it, and now gets a legit choice whether to pay and trust him, or not pay and be embarrassed.
2) The malefactor is lying, and has nothing. He is motivated by political ideology, and is will use the scheme to embarrass the Romney campaign into releasing the documents themselves.
3) The malefactor is lying, and has nothing. He is motivated by greed, and will run away with any money sent to either address. Additionally, he may believe that the attention this could generate would create demand in the market, raising the price of Bitcoin so he can sell at elevated levels.

I think 3 is by far the most likely.

The final option is that he's doing this for amusement. That's also entirely possible.
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 9:28:15 AM EDT
[#20]
If the perp wanted to be taken seriously, he'd have released a portion as proof of the goods.
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 9:38:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If the perp wanted to be taken seriously, he'd have released a portion as proof of the goods.

Yep.  Or he'd have signed his message cryptographically. Or he'd have sent the key to the Romney campaign so they could verify the files' contents.. or...
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 5:45:36 AM EDT
[#22]
I gotta give them credit...

They asked for a BILLION dollars.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 6:07:34 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 6:19:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 6:24:18 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

The hackers supposedly broke into the IRS to obtain these returns.

Funny how some released information on the 2008 return shows him paying $400 in taxes.  I don't believe it

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 6:27:42 AM EDT
[#26]
This is not a tag.
FWIW, I'm betting he doesn't have the info, and is trying to get some free money / and or getting Romney to release the records.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:07:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_OjrbRW6e1VE/THP3sett2tI/AAAAAAAAFBw/rsQC8kBELBw/s1600/Dr_Evil.jpg

The deal is quite simple. Convert $1,000,000 USD to Bitcoins (Google if if you need a lesson on what Bitcoin is) using the various markets available out in the world for buying.

Skimmed eh?

Actually no, I read the whole article.  Well, not the article in the OP, I read this in another place, and decided to do a search (I know right) before starting my own thread.  In the article I read, they clearly want a Billion Dollars worth of bitcoins transferred to a particular address.  The excerpt you provide implies that the conversion is all that's necessary.  So I am not even sure what you are questioning to be honest with you.  Did you think I failed to read the article because I didn't specify that it had to be bitcoins, or did you think that they didn't want the money, only the conversion of dollars into bitcoins.  I am a bit confused
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 1:13:08 PM EDT
[#28]
any updates?
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 1:26:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
any updates?

I haven't seen any. The "deadline" is Sept 28, so we'll see I suppose.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top