BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 3:10:55 PM EDT
[#1]
i'da shit myself...
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 3:14:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I would like to see the bolt and receiver, and what the damage is to them?
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 3:18:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I would like to see the bolt and receiver, and what the damage is to them?

If the gun is still at the shop on Wednesday I can get more pics.

Link Posted: 3/10/2012 3:18:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Need more info before we blame ammo.....
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 3:19:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Out of battery kaboom?? How's the barrel, receiver and op-rod look?
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 3:25:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The brass was stuck in the chamber and we couldnt open the bolt, the op rod is bent.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 3:26:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Ouch.  Kid is lucky he wasn't hurt.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 3:27:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I wont know anything else till wednesday.

Link Posted: 3/10/2012 3:29:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Flavor of said "garbage ammo" ?

It was stuff made for use in the 3006 fn49 way to much pressure for a garand,

Link Posted: 3/10/2012 3:29:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Reloads, same as every other gun i have ever seen blow up. Why the fuck do people shoot reloads they don't make themselves?

But it was way cheaper than the Hornady or Federal garbage and works just as good. The guy selling it by the ziplock bag guaranteed me it will shoot great!
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 3:30:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Ouch.  Kid is lucky he wasn't hurt.

I wouldn't be surprised if he finds a splinter embedded in his skull while showering.

That was brutal.

Link Posted: 3/10/2012 3:32:16 PM EDT
[#12]
the front fell off.

Im scared to shoot my rebarreled converted .308 garand now.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 3:33:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Stupid is as stupid does. CMP has M2 ball for .50 cents a round, works out to a whopping $8.00 a box.

I have never seen M2 ball come in 1600 rd boxes

Link Posted: 3/10/2012 3:34:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
the front fell off.

I was just wondering how picky the .308 Garands are.  Anybody know?
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 3:41:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
the front fell off.

I was just wondering how picky the .308 Garands are.  Anybody know?

They are no different than the .30-'06 ones. Stay with powders that have a burn rate of IMR 4064 or faster and stay with bullet weights of 175 grains or less. The port pressure is the key to a Garand. Too high and you have problems.

I will say though after seeing the pics of this rifle it could have been a lot of things. I would NEVER EVER shoot anyone else's reloads in ANY gun of mine.

Link Posted: 3/10/2012 3:45:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Reloads, same as every other gun i have ever seen blow up. Why the fuck do people shoot reloads they don't make themselves?

Kid probably didn't realize that different ammo loads can have different pressure, and the M1 is sensitive to it.  IIRC, only PMC had a factory load that was a copy of M2 Ball.  Otherwise, you handload, and you start mild.  

There are a lot of idiots out there who think you need to go to the max and push the bullet as fast as you can, because you get more range and thus more accuracy!  (have a friend who seems to think that faster is always better because you get more range, when my load workups usually contradict this)

I feel bad for the kid, but worse for the rifle.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 3:48:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I feel bad for the kid.  Terrible that it happened to a Garand, but I think most here know how hard it is for youngsters to save for something.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 3:50:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Damn
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 3:50:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 3:52:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Glock makes a rifle now?
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 3:53:09 PM EDT
[#21]
In her final act of heroism, she did not take a life but instead spared the life of her idiot owner.

RIP, old girl.

Link Posted: 3/10/2012 3:59:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Damn!

Folks just gotta know the mighty Garand was made to function with a specific load. M2 ball or the very next best thing loaded to that formula.

If you use commercial 30-06 or gunpowder that aint for the Garand, you will eventually get a broken op-rod or even a kaboom.

That sucks, but maybe there are salvagable parts to save it....

This.  I was shooting at a public range a few years ago and a guy was shooting a nice CMP Garand.  When I asked him what load he was using, he said Hornady Light Magnum!  When I told him that was probably not good and could cause a bent operatiing rod, he said I was full of shit and he had already shot almost a case of Light Magnum because the Greek ammo was too wimpy.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 4:09:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Custom pistol powder load!
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 4:09:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Military weapons are designed for specific ammunition.  You may shoot reloads if said reloads are within the pressure specs of the mil ammo. Glad the kid is OK.  He learned one expensive lesson.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 4:15:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Sorry but we need more info. That isn't necessarily a KB. All it looks like is the trigger group ripped out of the bottom of the receiver, the stock no longer under clamping pressure turned itself into kindling. Usually a KB is more concerned with the receiver/bolt/oprod. This may be an example of the wrong ammo but my bet is its a combination of wrong ammo and a Garand that wasn't in shooting condition. You might want to have this moved to the appropriate forum so you lose the hurr durr GD comments.

Link Posted: 3/10/2012 4:15:54 PM EDT
[#26]
That seriously looks like the case was stuffed full of black powder and compressed. I almost want to raise the BS flag because that is a f'n rediculous amount of carnage for just hot ammo.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 4:24:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
That seriously looks like the case was stuffed full of black powder and compressed. I almost want to raise the BS flag because that is a f'n rediculous amount of carnage for just hot ammo.

Yeah there has to be something other than just useing "hunting pressure" '06 in a garand. It would bend the operating rod but this is pretty extreme.

Anyway my bet would be a really hot reload maybe with pistol powder or black powder or some god awful mix.

The case stuck in the chamber seems to sugest a overpressure load as compared to an obstruction or a squib.

Anyway I'll be interested to see what the autopsy results are.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 4:24:56 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

In her final act of heroism, she did not take a life but instead spared the life of her idiot owner.

RIP, old girl.

Very good way of looking at it.    Similar to a working dog.   Supposed to keep emotion out of it, it's hard even though it's not my Garand.

I only shoot handloads out of my M14 (and pretty much everything else).   FYI, AA2520 w/ 155 gr amx or 147 ball is perfect for the M14.

Link Posted: 3/10/2012 4:26:32 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How many other calibers are there that have so many different variations, it can function in one gun, and blow up in another?

If I went and bought me a 30-06 rifle, I would assume that 30-06 ammo would work in it.  Not a SPECIFIC 30-06 ammo.

The rifle was built around the M2 ball round. Not vice versa

Developed during the depression, there was like a bizillion rounds of M2 around; didn't make sense(fiscal) to develop something of a different caliber.

While we understand that, a new shooter probably won't.  

That's one hell of a ka-boom.

Link Posted: 3/10/2012 4:27:08 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah there has to be something other than just useing "hunting pressure" '06 in a garand. It would bend the operating rod but this is pretty extreme.

Anyway my bet would be a really hot reload maybe with pistol powder or black powder or some god awful mix.

The case stuck in the chamber seems to sugest a overpressure load as compared to an obstruction or a squib.

Obviously he still has the rest of his gun show reloads.   Somebody should be able to ID the powder, weigh the charge & bullet, inspect brass, etc.     Maybe it wasn't once-fired brass, but multi-fired brass?

Link Posted: 3/10/2012 4:29:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/10/2012 4:30:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 4:30:52 PM EDT
[#33]
It's repairable.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 4:36:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Obviously he still has the rest of his gun show reloads.   Somebody should be able to ID the powder, weigh the charge & bullet, inspect brass, etc.     Maybe it wasn't once-fired brass, but multi-fired brass?

Good point I'd be interested to see

I don't think multi fired would matter... I have some hxp on its 3rd load. Maybe some spilling but not exploading.

Link Posted: 3/10/2012 4:41:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I seriously doubt black powder could generate the PSI's needed to blow this rifle like it has.

I would bet more on a pistol powder or an out of battery discharge.

Link Posted: 3/10/2012 4:41:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Holy Jeebus!!!  

Glad he is ok.  Poor Garand.

Link Posted: 3/10/2012 4:42:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
This kid saved up to buy it & was proud to have it. Then he bought some overloaded garbage ammo at the gun show today & blew up his gun. The shooter didn't have a scratch on him amazingly.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c280/HunterGren/GarandKB1.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c280/HunterGren/GarangKB2.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c280/HunterGren/GarandKB3.jpg

It doesn't look like much can be salvaged from this gun.

The receiver looks fine from what I can see.

Barrels are everywhere. Bolts are $40 or so, OP rods are available, the front of the rifle looks totally salvageable. New stock from CMP and order some replacement trigger/fire control parts and I bet that she could be brought back to life.

EVERYTHING on a Garand can be replaced except the receiver from ordering online.

Make sure the kid buys a Schuster adjustable gas plug, then he can go full retard power with Magnum loaded .30-06 as long as he open up the port.

Better yet, just tell him to use M2 ball.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 4:45:01 PM EDT
[#38]
I shoot Garands and I've been reloading their ammo for years.

Wrong powder maybe.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 4:47:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Whoa, that's unreal!  Is that from one round going KB or from the entire clip going off because of the first?
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 4:51:28 PM EDT
[#40]
So sad. I shoot  my reload's (varget, imr 4895) in mine.
Getting adjustable gas tube for mine shorty.[:(
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 4:52:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Damn glad the kid was alright
I got a great deal on a G21 a couple of months back the guy even gave me 300+rds of .45 but sadly it was reloads from some shop in Kal so Im seeing if a friend  can tear them down for components for when i start reloading
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 4:53:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 5:00:43 PM EDT
[#43]
This might help me resolve an issue I had recently. Back in the 90's I bought a pound of surplus IMR 4895 at a gun show. To this day, I can't remember conclusively whether or not I actually used it in anything, but I was really into reloading at the time and it seems unlikely that I would have bought it and not used it. Fast forward to last year. My brother bought an M1A that was made in the late 80's. This rifle had a TRW M14 barrel in 7.62 NATO. After firing 50-100 rds of surplus ammo, he stopped by my house and grabbed this powder to reload some ammo for this rifle. The cases he used had been fired in my M1A, which had a .308 chamber, and the cases were commercial .308, and they were run through a .308 die. The very first round went kaboom, destroying the stock and bolt, and damaged the breechface to the point that I would not recommend using the barrel.

IMR 4895 is a common powder, sold surplus in huge lots and then resold in smaller quantities. It's very popular for 30-06. Maybe this kid suffered the same fate as my brother? Could it be that because it was stored in large containers and is a particulate, consistency from lot to lot is not what would be desired? It is worth noting that in the case of my brother, the case was 308, in a 7.62 barrel, and the headspace tolerances are different. Perhaps someone has experience with surplus 4895.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 5:03:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Man, that's bad looks, like a squib though
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 5:07:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
How many other calibers are there that have so many different variations, it can function in one gun, and blow up in another?

If I went and bought me a 30-06 rifle, I would assume that 30-06 ammo would work in it.  Not a SPECIFIC 30-06 ammo.

The rifle was built around the M2 ball round. Not vice versa

Developed during the depression, there was like a bizillion rounds of M2 around; didn't make sense(fiscal) to develop something of a different caliber.

Panzer, are you sure of your statement? I think I've read in some of Duff's books that Garand had designed the M1 around the smaller 276 Pedersen cartridge which would have fit 10 rounds in the enblock clip. I thought it was the war department ( Heard it was none the less then Doug McArthur) who insisted that he rework it to use the 30-06 since there were so much of it in reserves from the 1903.  

At any rate, it's a shame about the young man's rifle, just thankful that no one was hurt! He could have had an operating rod put through his eye/head!

Link Posted: 3/10/2012 5:13:55 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm guessing pistol powder is the culprit here. Seen it do this before to a garand.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 5:23:16 PM EDT
[#47]
HOLY CRAP
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 5:30:54 PM EDT
[#48]
CMP Surplus Ammo. Use it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 5:48:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
IMR 4895 is a common powder, sold surplus in huge lots and then resold in smaller quantities. .

Hodgdon makes a powder it calls H4895. IMR makes a powder that it calls IMR4895. They are similar powders but differ in burn rate. They are suitable for military rifle cartridges such as the .308 and .30-06.

I smell over pressured reload............
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 5:52:08 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IMR 4895 is a common powder, sold surplus in huge lots and then resold in smaller quantities. .

Hodgdon makes a powder it calls H4895. IMR makes a powder that it calls IMR4895. They are similar powders but differ in burn rate. They are suitable for military rifle cartridges such as the .308 and .30-06.
H4895 is temperature resistant. 41.5 grains of it behind a 150gr GameKing is an awesome whitetail load out of a .308.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top