Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/14/2010 8:50:52 PM EDT
I saw their promo for their show on Remington, and they are making it sound like Remington is disregarding some safety issue of 700 for (naturally) profit, with some fudds thrown in.  I have a feeling they are scraping bottom for new shows and is resorting to sensationalism.  Really disappointing.

Less this

and more of this

please.
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 8:53:31 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I saw their promo for their show on Remington, and they are making it sound like Remington is disregarding some safety issue of 700 for (naturally) profit, with some fudds thrown in. I have a feeling they are scraping bottom for new shows and is resorting to sensationalism. Really disappointing.

If you can locate some video, I would love to see it!

Link Posted: 10/14/2010 8:56:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Wasn't that something that happened years ago with the 700?
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 8:58:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I saw their promo for their show on Remington, and they are making it sound like Remington is disregarding some safety issue of 700 for (naturally) profit, with some fudds thrown in. I have a feeling they are scraping bottom for new shows and is resorting to sensationalism. Really disappointing.

If you can locate some video, I would love to see it!

The show premiers Oct. 20.

Link Posted: 10/14/2010 9:00:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Yes.  The following allegations have been made.  I don't know whether there is anything to it.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

"The Model 700 rifle suffers from a serious design defect, sometimes compounded by manufacturing defects that causes the rifle to fire without pulling the trigger. The source of the defect is an internal component in the trigger mechanism called the "trigger connector." The trigger connector is what allows the gun to fire once the trigger has been pulled. This system is known as the Walker Fire Control System and Remington is the only gun manufacturer in the world to use it.

The problem with the trigger connector is that the resiliently mounted trigger connector is not bound to the actual trigger. This means that when the trigger is pulled and the gun is fired, a gap is created between the trigger body and the connector. Dirt, debris, dried lubricant and other material then can become lodged in this gap, preventing the trigger connector from returning to a secure and reliable position after the gun is fired. This, in turn, can permit the fire control to malfunction to produce a discharge when the trigger is not pulled.

The three most common scenarios for the fire control to malfunction are:

· When the user moves the safety switch from the "safe" mode to the "fire" mode

· When the user loads a new round into the breech (Fire closing the bolt)

· When the user cycles the bolt to eject a spent casing (Fire opening the bolt)

Internal company documents revealed that Remington has known about the defective conditions since at least since 1979 and documents discussing the Walker Fire Control System when it was first designed in the 1940’s signal the company’s knowledge of the dangers even then. The company even created a Product Safety Subcommittee to evaluate the M700 and the mountain of consumer complaints Remington had received about the gun. However, Remington made a decision at that time not to recall the rifle because the defect was estimated only to affect 1 percent of the two million M700s that had been sold up until that time. The company decided it was too costly to recall two million rifles "just” to find the 20,000 which would manifest the defect. However, while a statistical analysis suggested only 1 percent would experience a malfunction, <em style="font-style: italic; font-weight: normal; ">all the center fire rifles Remington has produced since March of 1948, with the exception of the Model 788 have the same design and are all susceptible to these forms of malfunction.

Despite its knowledge of the defect, Remington did not stop using the Walker Fire Control System in its bolt action rifles until 2007, even though the company had developed a safer alternative to the trigger connector as early as 1997. When Remington considered a new rifle, the Model 710 in the late 1990s, Remington also had designed a new fire control system that did not include trigger connectors. However, after the gun manufacturer discovered how expensive it was going to be to produce the new rifle with the new trigger mechanism, Remington decided to continue using the old Walker system in the new rifle, despite knowing the inherent dangers the trigger connector posed to consumers."

Link Posted: 10/14/2010 9:01:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Doubletap

Link Posted: 10/14/2010 9:02:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

the "problem" was gasp! you have to take the rifle off safe to unload it

then throw in age and some "custom" triggers jobs  you get some ADs here and there

Link Posted: 10/14/2010 9:03:52 PM EDT
[#7]
There allegedly is a problem with the fire control system. Here's a link to a lawsuit history. http://www.drinnonlaw.com/Texas-Defective-Remington700.php

I remember hearing a warning about it a couple of years ago. Supposedly the rifle can discharge sometimes when moving the safety lever from safe to fire. I have a friends 700 PSS in my safe as a favor to him. I can shoot it whenever I want. Every time I slide safety to fire, I'm always prepared for it to accidentally discharge. It hasn't happened yet though.
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 9:04:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Please send me your defective Remington 700's for proper disposal.
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 9:14:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes.  The following allegations have been made.  I don't know whether there is anything to it.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

"The Model 700 rifle suffers from a serious design defect, sometimes compounded by manufacturing defects that causes the rifle to fire without pulling the trigger. The source of the defect is an internal component in the trigger mechanism called the "trigger connector." The trigger connector is what allows the gun to fire once the trigger has been pulled. This system is known as the Walker Fire Control System and Remington is the only gun manufacturer in the world to use it.

The problem with the trigger connector is that the resiliently mounted trigger connector is not bound to the actual trigger. This means that when the trigger is pulled and the gun is fired, a gap is created between the trigger body and the connector. Dirt, debris, dried lubricant and other material then can become lodged in this gap, preventing the trigger connector from returning to a secure and reliable position after the gun is fired. This, in turn, can permit the fire control to malfunction to produce a discharge when the trigger is not pulled.

The three most common scenarios for the fire control to malfunction are:

· When the user moves the safety switch from the "safe" mode to the "fire" mode

· When the user loads a new round into the breech (Fire closing the bolt)

· When the user cycles the bolt to eject a spent casing (Fire opening the bolt)

Internal company documents revealed that Remington has known about the defective conditions since at least since 1979 and documents discussing the Walker Fire Control System when it was first designed in the 1940’s signal the company’s knowledge of the dangers even then. The company even created a Product Safety Subcommittee to evaluate the M700 and the mountain of consumer complaints Remington had received about the gun. However, Remington made a decision at that time not to recall the rifle because the defect was estimated only to affect 1 percent of the two million M700s that had been sold up until that time. The company decided it was too costly to recall two million rifles "just” to find the 20,000 which would manifest the defect. However, while a statistical analysis suggested only 1 percent would experience a malfunction, <em style="font-style: italic; font-weight: normal; ">all the center fire rifles Remington has produced since March of 1948, with the exception of the Model 788 have the same design and are all susceptible to these forms of malfunction.

Despite its knowledge of the defect, Remington did not stop using the Walker Fire Control System in its bolt action rifles until 2007, even though the company had developed a safer alternative to the trigger connector as early as 1997. When Remington considered a new rifle, the Model 710 in the late 1990s, Remington also had designed a new fire control system that did not include trigger connectors. However, after the gun manufacturer discovered how expensive it was going to be to produce the new rifle with the new trigger mechanism, Remington decided to continue using the old Walker system in the new rifle, despite knowing the inherent dangers the trigger connector posed to consumers."

Sounds to me like if you keep your rifle properly cleaned and maintained it's not so much of a problem.  Did I read that wrong?
-K

Link Posted: 10/14/2010 9:17:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
When the user cycles the bolt to eject a spent casing (Fire opening the bolt)

WAT?

How can a spent casing fire?

Link Posted: 10/14/2010 9:19:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

WAT?

wait what?
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 9:22:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WAT?

wait what?

Link Posted: 10/14/2010 9:22:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WAT?

that also made me  

Link Posted: 10/14/2010 9:27:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

then throw in age and some "custom" triggers jobs  you get some ADs here and there

They'd never "just go off" if no one ever touched them.

Link Posted: 10/14/2010 9:30:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WAT?

that also made me  

Didn't make too much sense to me, either.

Link Posted: 10/14/2010 9:41:03 PM EDT
[#16]
CNBC or anything with NBC or CBS or ABC or MS or Public _______  has the effective intellectual capacity of a turnip and is the moral equivalent of HIV.  

Expect them to get everything wrong.  Everything.  

This is the culture that brought the world heroin-chic and the Voluntary Human Extinction Project.
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 10:07:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I worked with a gunsmith around '96 or so, not long after Remington had released the .260 in the Model 7.  One of the issues with the rifles at the time was the twist rate wasn't fast enough to stabilize the longer/ heavier bullets (140gr), which was supposedley resulting in keyholing.  Well, sure enough, we had one come in with that complaint.  It was my first experience with the .260, so I wanted to see how much recoil the gun had.  So, I took it in our indoor range, loaded one in the chamber, and closed the bolt.  I flipped the safety off "SAFE" to "FIRE", and was immediately met with a "BOOM!!!".  The gun was at about a 30* angle pointed downrange when it went off, and the bullet went through the ceiling.  It scared the sheeeit out of me!

We immediately boxed the gun up, attached a note, and sent it directly to Remington.  I have owned countless Model 7s, 700s, 78s, etc over the years, and that is the only one I've ever had go off while manipulating the safety.
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 10:13:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well shit, my Winchester 75 does the same thing.
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 10:29:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

We immediately boxed the gun up, attached a note, and sent it directly to Remington.  I have owned countless Model 7s, 700s, 78s, etc over the years, and that is the only one I've ever had go off while manipulating the safety.

Did you pull the trigger just prior to flipping the rifle off safe?

Link Posted: 10/14/2010 10:38:59 PM EDT
[#20]

No, what would the purpose be of pulling the trigger prior to taking it off "SAFE"??
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 11:31:44 PM EDT
[#21]
I have 4 remington model 700's and they all work just fine and they are all perfectly safe and accurate. I already own 4 and i would have no trouble owning a fifth one. As far as this story is concerned, CNBS and MSLSD can go pound sand for all I care. Really, how seriously can I take a news organization whose "stars" include Rachel Maddow, Keith Olbermann and Jim Cramer? Rick Santelli is the only one on there that I would listen to on a regular basis. Dylan Ratigan is okay, too. As for the rest of them? Fah-git-about-it!
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 11:40:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 4:22:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

yeh, I seem to recall a story years ago (15-20) where someone was sueing Remington for their defective safeties.  If I recall correctly, the dumbfuck had a 700 with a cartridge in the chamber and had it pointed at son/relative/friend, and flicked on the safety and the gun went off and killed the dude.  So now said dumbfuck says that is Remington's fault.

IIRC
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 4:24:25 AM EDT
[#24]
You lost me at Maria Bartiromo.

OK.  I went back and re-read your post.

I thought it was the OLD trigger that locked the bolt that was a problem. I have one of these old triggers, and I have yet to have it discharge when disengaging the safety, but I am prepared for it to happen any time.
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 4:28:06 AM EDT
[#25]
I will gladly accept all Remington 700 rifles anyone may have for proper disposal. luckily both of mine where lost at sea.

Link Posted: 10/15/2010 6:07:06 AM EDT
[#26]
I don't care for Remington triggers, safetys or (while I'm at it) extractors.

The safety is only a trigger blocking safety. If the sear engagement has been monkeyed with and the safety is the least bit sloppy, it can create a dangerous situation.

I don't know what they're talking about with the "trigger connector". I think they mean the sear.

Bottom line is, don't adjust your trigger if you don't know what you're doing. Don't let gunk build up in a precision mechanism. Follow the four rules of gun handling and there won't be a problem.

I'll take the Winchester style trigger/sear/safety, thanks. Still not idiot proof, though.
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 6:13:55 AM EDT
[#27]
I used two of Remington's defective rifles.

The first one I bought brand new. It was a Rem 700 in .308 that I bought to take out of state on a deer hunting trip. While sighting it in & trying different ammos for accuracy I had problems. It would shoot when moving the safety from fire to safe. I kept thinking it was my fault - maybe I acidently touched the trigger while moving the safety or something. I wouldn't believe the it was malfunctioning, it was brand new after all. Finally, I put it on safe & stood up from the bench & it went off by itself without me even touching it. I took it back to the dealer who traded it out for a browning to save me from the hassle of fighting with remington over it - I was leaving to hunt the next week & couldn't afford another new gun.

The second rifle was another Rem 700 I borowed on a hunting trip with some friends. We went out to eat, then decided to go hunting without going back to the hotel where my gun was. A friend let me borrow his 30-06, 700. While cycling it & dry firing it to get the feel of the trigger, it dry fired by itself just like my own had.

I couldn't believe it happened to me with two different 700's. About 6 months to a year later one of the national news stations ran a piece on all of the people who had been shot with a defective rem 700. Remington denied any responsibility. I haven't had much respect for Rem since & have steered away from their guns (I do have an old 870, though)
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 6:14:28 AM EDT
[#28]
If it were a legitimate problem it would have been beat to death in GD.  Kind of like the Glock boomers.
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 6:45:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, what would the purpose be of pulling the trigger prior to taking it off "SAFE"??

Please keep your logic out of this, you happen to be posting on ARFCOM.  

Yeah, ARFCOM GD.

I donot come here for logic.
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 6:49:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If it were a legitimate problem it would have been beat to death in GD.  Kind of like the Glock boomers.

Seems to me there may be some truth to the this when two posters have personal accounts of Rem 700s fire when switching from safe to fire.
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 11:24:25 AM EDT
[#31]
The end of the clip with the police officer just touching the bolt and it going off looks pretty bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2oZtWRyDu8
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 6:53:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Parent network: NBC

Remember the saddle gas tanks Dateline NBC was just sure they were a hazard? The ones that never ignited no matter how hard they tried...until they used model rocket motors to ignite the fuel?  

That NBC/CNBC?

These are just more lies from a souce that is utterly lacking in credibility.

Definition of PRONE
1: having a tendency or inclination : being likely <prone to forget names> <accident-prone> (from: Webster)

Definition of LIKELY
1: having a high probability of occurring or being true : very probable <rain is likely today> (same source as above)
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 6:59:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Here is a link to a great explination of what is going on in the trigger.  http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9411043/m/8561091241

It is a long read but details very well what happens.  Not all 700s will do this but some do.
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 7:04:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Some people tinkering with their trigger and not knowing what the world they are doing. Sure fire way to tell is to cock the rifle, put "On Safe", pull trigger, then just flip the safety off, if it fires, most likely someone has tried to "Lighten" their trigger pull and doesn't know what the hell they are doing.

May not be what is going on in this instance. But sure sounds the same.
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 7:13:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

WAT?

that also made me  

Didn't make too much sense to me, either.

Sort of a confusing situation like this classic claim.

Link Posted: 10/16/2010 7:20:24 PM EDT
[#36]
I think I remember one of those murder mystery shows where a guy's wife got shot in the back, by him, and killed while they were hunting. IIRC, they determined that what he said about his rifle discharging either when or after dropped was the cause. Poor guy.
My custom Remington 600 scout rifle is carried with empty chamber for that reason. My Steyr, OTOH, I'll carry on double-lock safe...
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 7:27:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems to me there may be some truth to the this when two posters have personal accounts of Rem 700s fire when switching from safe to fire.

Had a Rem 700 about ten years ago. Round in the chamber , scope cross hairs on target, finger off trigger, flipped the safety from safe to fire...."boom". The trigger was not modified , or adjusted in any way.
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 7:37:44 PM EDT
[#38]
There is a grain of truth to these assertions, but it is NOT a common occurrence, or even a rare one, and not even 1% ('cause if it were, I would have noticed...I've fired a model 700 more than any other long arm I've ever owned.). I haven't seen the show, or even the ad, but I'd bet the "issue" revolves around how the Remington Model 600/700's safety works.

Remington 600/700 Series actions hold the striker in the cocked position using the sear, and the safety of the stock trigger holds the sear in place (as do many aftermarket triggers). The stock sear engagement specification on the Remington 700 is less than 0.015", and the sear is only about 1/8" wide. That's a fair amount of pressure on a fairly small area, but nowhere near the limits of the metal (For example: a typical screw puts far more pressure on it's threads than does a Remington 700 it's sear). The sear and cocking piece have angled faces: the sear is angled up toward the muzzle, and the cocking piece is angles down towards the butt, so when the cocking piece butts against it, pressure is exerted forward (toward the muzzle) and down on the sear, and the cocking piece is pushed up and towards the butt. Since this is a bolt action, all this happens fairly slowly: as the bolt is closed, the cocked striker is allowed to move forward against the sear, where it is captured by the sear. The stock Remington 700 Trigger, when released, allows the sear to actually rotate down out of the way of the cocking piece (kind of like a kid sitting on a one-sided teeter-totter, with a block of wood holding up the end, when the "block" of wood is kicked out from under it, the kid can tilt down).

Nearly every manual for both stock and aftermarket Remington triggers has a disclaimer cautioning that the rifle's trigger should be tested for reliability using the "jarring test". The "jarring test" is nothing more than an abuse test to make sure the striker will not jump the sear when the bolt is being operated very fast and vigorously. Rifles with excessively loose bolt-to-receiver fit can give a gunsmith trouble with trigger consistency (the bolt can rock up and down slightly at the rear from shot-to-shot while in battery, particularly if headspace is on the loose side). Extra-power firing pin springs could possibly exacerbate this problem as well.        

This is why so many people like the Mauser and Winchester Model 70 Safeties: this type of safety, which is on the bolt, locks the striker back using a cam, and does not rely on the sear at all to safe the rifle. With the Model 70 Three-position safety, it is possible to load and unload the rifle in complete safety without relying on the sear as a lockout mechanism. Which is why there are a couple of aftermarket Winchester Model 70-style safeties offered for Remingtons.

For the record, I have Jewell Triggers and Precise Metal Smithing safeties on both of my Model 700s, but not because I think the Remington system is unsafe, but that I don't like how the Jewell Trigger safety looks.
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 7:39:21 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

The end of the clip with the police officer just touching the bolt and it going off looks pretty bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2oZtWRyDu8

hard to tell but this could be a hang fire too (this is not the safety problem reported earlier). Remember the 4 rules and there will be no problems. If there is a problem I hope Remington steps up.

Link Posted: 10/16/2010 7:44:59 PM EDT
[#40]
This is a problem if you adjust the trigger below 1.5 pounds on a factory trigger.. Not every factory trigger but a lot of them.. I have seen this on more then one rifle.. but it's not a fault of Remington's it's the do it your self gunsmith... I have a Got jug with a 17 cal hole in it from a trigger job my best friend did to his 700 BDL...
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 8:16:36 PM EDT
[#41]
but it's not a fault of Remington's it's the do it your self gunsmith...

The issues is, however, that this has occurred on rifles where the trigger was not adjusted or tweaked in any way.
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 8:26:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 8:35:00 PM EDT
[#43]
What! No Erin Burnett yet?

Link Posted: 10/17/2010 5:08:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Please keep your logic out of this, you happen to be posting on ARFCOM.  

I don't know why I would be pulling the trigger with the safety off, but what happens when you are walking through the woods and a get the trigger caught on a tree branch with the safety on?

That's the scenario that would cause me concern, or hunting with a novice who does not practice trigger discipline who sits in a tree stand with the safety on and assumes that the gun is safe puts his finger on the trigger and sends a round down range? I know you all experienced hunters will talk about not touching the trigger until you are aiming at something but we all have to start somewhere and new guys hunting like myself forget sometimes that could lead to disaster.
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 5:16:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 5:40:21 AM EDT
[#46]
I have 5 Remington 700 rifles.  Two of them have Jewell triggers with no safety.  If I had the money, all would have Jewell triggers and only my Deer rifle would have a safety.  Don't need no safety on a prairie dog rifle or a bench rifle.

I had a 243 Remington that I picked up at a gun show.  It would sometimes fire when the safety was moved from safe to fire.  The correction was to PROPERLY adjust the trigger.
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 6:18:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Follow these Four Rules, and no one will ever get hurt.

The Four Rules of Firearms Handling - by Jeff Cooper.

Rule #1 - All guns are always loaded.
The only exception to this occurs when you have a firearm in your hands and you have personally unloaded it for checking. As soon as you put it down, Rule #1 applies again.

Rule #2 - Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not ready to destroy.
You may not wish to destroy it, but you must be clear in your mind that you are quite ready to if you let that muzzle cover the target. To allow a firearm to point at another human being is a deadly threat, and should always be treated as such.

Rule #3 - Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
This we call the Golden Rule because its violation is responsible for about 80 percent of the firearms disasters we read about.  

Rule #4 - Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
You never shoot at anything until you have positively identified it. You never fire at a shadow, or a sound, or a suspected presence. You shoot only when you know absolutely what you are shooting at and what is beyond it.

Rule no.2 here was a big player in the original lawsuit against Remington.

Old history....but a family was out hunting years back...mom walks back to the RV camper with her loaded M700 rifle. procedes to unload the rifle....and blows a hole in the RV...and her 13 or 14 year old son on the other side of the camper too.

Seems the rifle fired as soon as she put the rifle off safe. Remington examined the rifle...and found it had been rusty underneath the stock...damaging the trigger/safety mechanism. Mom failed to keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction...the rifle was mechanicaly damaged by corrosion internaly....just a big sad story.

Remington changed the safety to where it doesn't prevent the bolt from opening when on safe....like years back. A Remington 700ADL I bought in 1999 already had the newer safty. The whole deal is really old history....about like Pinto's blowing up in rear end collisions...

Link Posted: 10/17/2010 11:49:46 AM EDT
[#48]
I own bullet holes in the floor board of TWO friends pickups, one from closing the bolt, and one from opening the bolt of my UNMODIFIED, FACTORY Remington Model 600 .308. In both cases I had one hand on the forearm and one on the bolt. The rifles in question are pre 1979 with a safety that must be OFF to cycle the bolt. I took years of abuse from my buddies for my sloppy gun handling before finally finding This  safety recall from Remington. Partial vindication(it's not a good idea to load in the truck!), at least it wasn't me that made the gun go off. At the time it occured(20+ years ago), I took the rifle to everyone that would look at it and no one could duplicate it or explain it. No local gunsmith or shop was aware of a recall. We finally blamed the first one on a poorly resized reload with a high primer( it was tight) until the second occured. Here's a link to Remingtons Safety modification page, which includes the 700 and lists which ones are dangerous.
   Despite the fact it hasn't happened to you, and is exceedingly rare, the problem is real and Remington will fix it for free. Owners should take a moment to check out their rifles.
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 12:07:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I own bullet holes in the floor board of TWO friends pickups, one from closing the bolt, and one from opening the bolt of my UNMODIFIED, FACTORY Remington Model 600 .308. In both cases I had one hand on the forearm and one on the bolt. The rifles in question are pre 1979 with a safety that must be OFF to cycle the bolt. I took years of abuse from my buddies for my sloppy gun handling before finally finding This  safety recall from Remington. Partial vindication(it's not a good idea to load in the truck!), at least it wasn't me that made the gun go off. At the time it occured(20+ years ago), I took the rifle to everyone that would look at it and no one could duplicate it or explain it. No local gunsmith or shop was aware of a recall. We finally blamed the first one on a poorly resized reload with a high primer( it was tight) until the second occured. Here's a link to Remingtons Safety modification page, which includes the 700 and lists which ones are dangerous.
   Despite the fact it hasn't happened to you, and is exceedingly rare, the problem is real and Remington will fix it for free. Owners should take a moment to check out their rifles.

My truck...and my ears are both glad you ain't my hunting buddy with a rifle like that!!!......just sayin'....

Link Posted: 10/17/2010 1:51:15 PM EDT
[#50]
My ears are still  ringing.....one of them was a 1964 Chevrolet with the thick hard vinyl floor covering that was brittle from age, the muzzle blast made about a ten inch vacancy in the floor covering, which shattered into hundreds of fragments, all of which seemed to hit me in the face strong enough to blow my hat off and leave hundreds of tiny cuts. My friend just kept driving into the woods, looked over and said" whuud you do that for?"

The other was a later model Nissan, I was actually standing outside the truck in the dark after a hunt and rested the muzzle on the floor in the light so I could see to catch the rounds as I unloaded the rifle. That one took out a fuel line that we had to splice with some vacum hose to get home....

The unpossible is real!

I only load outside the truck now.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top