Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/11/2015 6:57:52 PM EDT
Get him excited about his first rifle; try a dozen on for size; finally find one that fits, find it online, and wait 5 weeks for it to come in; have him help shop for the accessories (sling, bipod, case, scope and rings) and have him unwrap them all when they show up in the mail; when the rifle finally arrives, have him help mount and bore-sight the scope, and assemble the rest of the parts into "his" rifle; and then take him to the range for the big "first shoot" day to zero the scope, and then....

HAVE IT NOT GO BANG. AT ALL.

The offending rifle:

Brand-new Ruger American Ranch rifle in 300BLK, the compact version. Light strikes, I was batting 100% on misfires, gave it about a dozen attempts before quitting in disgust.

Light strike pics:

Ammo was new, factory Barnes VOR-TX and new Gemtech 147gr supers. Same result all around.

Anyone personally seen this happen? I have seen some references via google-fu, and I'll call Ruger CS on Monday morning, but at this point we've got about four weeks before opening morning, I'm out of state for two of them, and the kid needs to practice before show-time. This weekend was supposed to be sight-in and fire-for-effect on 150 yard paper. Which obviously isn't happening now.

Interesting read in the manual about Ruger no longer having a warranty due to a recent firearms liability law. I'm assuming that they'll take care of it, but it also looks like I'm out shipping to get it to them, if the statement in the manual proves true. Not having had to use Ruger's CS before, but if it is anything like Remington and takes more than a 2.5 week turnaround, this rifle isn't going hunting this year. Which will be a MAJOR problem in this house.

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 6:59:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you disassembled the bolt and looked for something fucky?
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:00:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Could be excessive head space issue, do you have go/no-go gauges to check?

or could just be out of spec firing pin.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:00:45 PM EDT
[#3]
That SUUUUUUUCKS!
I hope they make it right.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:02:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes. How far is the firing pin protruding and did you strip the bolt?
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:02:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Headspace or pin.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:04:07 PM EDT
[#6]
That looks like a bad case of light primer strikes.

Check headspace, then mainspring, and interior of bolt for crud or debris.

Quoted:

Headspace or pin.
View Quote

Yes, and firing pin protrusion.

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:05:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Well that sucks.  Fairly certain they'll make it right.

My dad's tactic was to take me to every outdoors/gun store within driving distance.  Check out long gun  after long gun for hours on end finding the smallest thing wrong with each and never getting me one.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:06:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My dad's tactic was to take me to every outdoors/gun store within driving distance.  Check out long gun  after long gun for hours on end finding the smallest thing wrong with each and never getting me one.
View Quote

Man...
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:07:29 PM EDT
[#9]
shoulda gottem an AK
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:09:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Man...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Man...

By "getting me one" I mean him purchasing one for me with my money.

He did the same thing with beagle puppies.  I have plenty of firearms and my own beagle now, everything's right with the world.

I admire the fathers on here that pass their passion to their children.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:10:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I had same issue.

Bolt was packed with grease.

Cleaned out and oiled and bang.

Take the bolt apart.  

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:10:26 PM EDT
[#12]
So other people on earth have my luck too... That sucks OP.  Hopefully y'all get it sorted.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:10:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Bought my 12 yo son the same rifle in .243. Not one problem, it's been a great little gun.

This will be his first season carrying.

I hope you get your problem sorted quickly.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:11:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Ruger is used to quickly fixing the broken guns it tests on its customers.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:11:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So other people on earth have my luck too... That sucks OP.  Hopefully y'all get it sorted.
View Quote

You have the same problem with a Ruger American, or just some rifles in general?  I have a similar problem with my heavy barreled Savage .22 WMR.  It's awesome when it fires, 70% of the time, lol.

OP once you get it sorted your son will love that rifle, Americans are tack drivers.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:12:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote

Good God, we could be long lost Brothers!  My Dad was the same way.  And when he did buy something, instead of getting me what I wanted, he'd get what he wanted and it would disappear into his room and I'd never see it again.

Then Mom took me to JC Penney and got me a Winchester 94, which is what I wanted from the get go.  Thanks Mom!
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That SUUUUUUUCKS!
I hope they make it right.
Good luck.
View Quote

I'll say! That's awful!
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:12:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Another reason not to buy a Ruger anything.

I have had 3 of them, 2 10/22 stove pipers and a measure of barn Mini-14. I will never buy another Ruger.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:13:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Disassemble the bolt and clean out the firing pin channel. You most likely have metals chips from machining binding up the firing pin strike.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:13:35 PM EDT
[#20]
you didnt try filing down the firing pin to make it full auto did you?

Good luck though, that would crush any kid.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:13:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:13:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Maybe instead of waiting on Ruger to correct the issue have a local smith check it out?  I know it will cost money but it may be worth it to have the rifle ready for your boy to use come opening day.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:13:59 PM EDT
[#23]
So, a couple questions.

Why did you wait until 2 weeks before the season? And where did you try a dozen rifles if you ordered online?
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:14:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Good God, we could be long lost Brothers!  My Dad was the same way.  And when he did buy something, instead of getting me what I wanted, he'd get what he wanted and it would disappear into his room and I'd never see it again.

Then Mom took me to JC Penney and got me a Winchester 94, which is what I wanted from the get go.  Thanks Mom!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My mom got me a Winchester 1300 for my 12th.  We could have the same mom too
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:14:32 PM EDT
[#25]
As other's have asked, have you disassembled the bolt, checked for anything weird and then given it a serious cleaning?

I'd try that first. However, since you are 100% on failures, I have a suspicion it's something more serious like bad headspace or bad firing pin.  Still, worth it to check and give it a good cleaning, if you haven't already.

Did you buy this from a local dealer?  If so, give them a call first, and maybe they'll just swap the rifle out for you.  

Otherwise give Ruger a call.   I've sent two firearms back to them in the past 5 years, one 5 years ago and the other 3.  Both times it was an issue out of the box with a new gun (Mk III and a 10/22).  Both times Ruger sent me a shipping label and both times the firearms came back to me 100%, and have proven themselves since then with proper function for 1,000+ rounds.  

I fully understand the crappiness of your situation.  Maybe you could use this as a way to teach your son that not everything works out of the box, and show him an example of working through a problem and coming with alternate solutions.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:15:19 PM EDT
[#26]
OP, give this a shot:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h4s6qFa2K2g
Could just be excess grease. Some manufacturers pack the shit out if stuff like that to avoid corrosion issues while they are on the shelf.

Anyone who can embed please?
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:16:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:17:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So, a couple questions.

Why did you wait until 2 weeks before the season? And where did you try a dozen rifles if you ordered online?
View Quote

you know that Best Buy is Amazon.com's showroom right?
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:17:16 PM EDT
[#29]
I thought the answer was going to be "Invite Air Force SF to the party"...
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:17:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
So, a couple questions.

View Quote

You see, there's this thing called a store. You can visit one locally and try shit out. Find something that you like and then order it online.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:18:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Poor kid, tell him we all have had FTF on some guns.
X39 AR 15's have got me plenty.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:21:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Ruger hasn't written a warranty for decades. They will take care of it, though I don't think you'll get it back in time.

It's safe to assume that rifle was proofed, so it fired when they proofed it. The first thing I'd like to know is if somebody played with the bolt and misaligned something.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:22:50 PM EDT
[#33]

Good advice being given to clean the bolt, I had a friend who's new DPMS pattern 7.62 build failed to fire 100 % until we disassembled the bolt carrier and washed out the Torco assembly lube he had used.

Also try a different ammo on the outside chance that the Banes is undersized.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:23:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Ruger's on my shitlist today too; so I sympathize.  Maybe they can work 20 more short, shallow thread screws into their next firearm design.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:23:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You see, there's this thing called a store. You can visit one locally and try shit out. Find something that you like and then order it online.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, a couple questions.

The best part is when people like you get offended when the salesmen refuse to deal with you.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:25:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Picture of the bolt:

Probably just shy of 1/16" of firing pin protrusion. Havn't taken the bolt apart (disclaimer: Not a bolt gun expert. Can build AR's all day long, but haven't played much with bolt guns) but am going to see if I can find instructions via google tonight. The manual does not cover disassembly beyond removing the plastic shroud over the rear of the bolt. Having said that, I do get a crisp, clean-feeling trigger pull. Not a bad trigger feel at all. Just not enough force on the primer.

Don't have 300BLK gauges yet so I can't check headspace. This is the first 300BLK in the collection, although an upper is in work and I've got a shopping list going for the reloading components and dies/Dillon 650 parts.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:26:11 PM EDT
[#37]
close up of the other end
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:26:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, a couple questions.

And if you find something locally, you can buy it and have it in your hands RIGHT NOW rather than ordering it online to save a few bucks and waiting 5 weeks.

Though, in this case, perhaps they found the right rifle, fit wise, locally, but wasn't correct caliber, finish, etc, so ordering was the only option.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:27:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, a couple questions.

\Yeah, but that's Grade-A dickhead behavior and borderline theft of services.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:28:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Ouch that sucks....

I got a single shot .243 for my sons first rifle. Shot really well... He was 8.

Just sighted in his new Marlin X7 in .270 win bolt gun.

Same hole at 75 yards.

I almost bought the Ruger. But a guy at a gun show made me a too good to pass up deal on the New Marlin. ($260.00 out the door)

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:31:56 PM EDT
[#41]
I don't know how hard or simple the American bolt is to disassemble, but if it's proving to be tricky you could first try soaking it in some solvent and then spraying it down with gun scrubber. Then see if it will fire.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:33:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Let's correct some assumptions: my kid tried on the .223 version at the store. Have never found a compact version 300BLK in stock at any store we visited, and only found one full length (looked in every store I drove by in two states), or I'd have bought it on the spot once we figured out what we wanted. Most stores (Sportsman's Warehouse, for example) don't even stock the compact model. Special order at Sportsman's and Cabelas had an open delivery date.

We started this project in June, ordered the rifle in July, I picked it up on my way to work two weeks ago, got back from a two week shift in WY on Wednesday.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:34:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Ah! A character building moment.

Actually, I would have been smoking pissed. Not surprised, though. Ruger is hit or miss these days. the only Rugers I have, sans a takedown 10/22 are older than I.

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:34:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Ruger is used to quickly fixing the broken guns it tests on its customers.
View Quote

There is a lot of truth to this, sadly.   Ruger was a company I really wanted to like working for.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:37:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Is that grease around the firing pin ?
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:39:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, a couple questions.

Price your wares better and people will buy them.

Free market 101.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:43:05 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I don't know how hard or simple the American bolt is to disassemble, but if it's proving to be tricky you could first try soaking it in some solvent and then spraying it down with gun scrubber. Then see if it will fire.
View Quote
this

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:45:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Free market 101.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, a couple questions.

Free market 101.

You can't really price in human service and assistance and then compete on pricepoint with someone who doesn't offer those things.  Human beings (especially with payroll tax, healthcare, etc.) cost money.  If you are going to pay someone to interact with customers, be knowledgable and allow them to gets hands on with products, you've got to charge for that service.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:48:28 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Free market 101.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, a couple questions.

Free market 101.

No kidding!  I sometimes scan expensive items when out shopping and if there is a much better deal online I will order instead. There have been times the brick and mortar stores had the better price too.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:50:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, a couple questions.

I didnt know your local gun store was budsguns local showroom.

Dick move to go into a gun shop and make the sales person show you no less than a dozen guns when you had no intention of buying.

The saving grace OP is that you chose ruger who will likely get you squared away in short fashion.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top